“Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cherry Valley IL
“Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I will try to give an honest review, I am not a complainer but did find a couple things that doesn't get this hotel a 5 star. I think a resort that gets a 5 is the best of the best. This hotel gets a solid 4.5 from me. It is better than a 4 but you can't score in half increments. I am 38 and my wife it 30, we stayed 4 days and 3 nights from May 18th to the 21st. We have been to Mexico and the Caribbean about 15 times at various all inclusive resorts from good to great. We booked through Apple Vacations, which owns this hotel as well as Secrets and Dreams resorts. We decided on Now Amber due to the price. We normally go to Cancun or the Riviera Maya since trips are usually inexpensive from Chicago but for some reason this short trip to Puerto Vallarta was cheaper. Now Amber / Secrets, two hotels on one property is less than a year old. The left side upon entering is Secrets and the right side is Now Amber. Secrets is adults only and per Apple it was only $22 per night more to stay there. I can't stress this enough, upgrade if you are a couple and not wanting to deal with kids. We asked about and upgrade and it was $100 per night once we got there. They said I could use the resort coupons you get through the year 2013 and get the price down to $50 a night. We decided not to since the resort slowed down Sunday through the end of our trip. The pool on the Secrets side was not busy at all and was much more relaxed than the Now side. You can use all the Now amenities if you stay at Secrets including the restaurants. Adults at Now can use the Restaurants at Secrets after 6pm. Again, I stress that you upgrade prior to getting there to not incur the large upgrade fee. I even offered the guy at the front desk $20 to see what he could do and he wouldn't swing anything. Very honest, I will give him that.

Quick things I liked about the hotel and different from typical all inclusive hotels" No wristbands, no towel cards and unlimited use of them, no reservations for ala carte restaurants except the Japanese entertainment option.

Food: This is one of the best all inclusive resorts I have been to for food. The quality was great. Breakfast wasn't anything too special but all was decent and plenty of choices. For lunch you have a ala carte by the beach or the buffet again. You also have a small grill by the pool for burgers etc. For dinner we went to Capers the Italian and the Japanese. Both were excellent. My wife had the filet and I had the NY strip at the Italian. Hers was great, my was decent. We would have paid about $100 for this meal in the States. The Japanese was the best Mexican attempt at Asian food as we have experienced. Many hotels try but "Now" got it right. You have to make reservations to sit at one of the cooking show grills and I recommend you do this. Jesus was the cook and put on a good show. He would be hired immediately at our local Hibachi grill. The Sushi was excellent and it would have given true Japanese grills a run for their money. We met a couple from Seattle and they said they went to Oceana and had great steaks. I also heard the other restaurants were very good too. Absolutely no complaints from me on food. If you haven't been to many all inclusive resorts you might not completely agree with me but my wife and I have been to 10 plus and this resort was one of the best.

Room: We were in room 2161 on the 11th floor. See my pictures for the view. It was a great room. Nice size but nothing huge and all stone surfaces. We liked the open concept into the bathroom. The TV is nice since it is a new resort and you get plenty of channels considering you are in Mexico. One thing we loved was that there were screens on the patio doors so you could leave your doors open and keep the bugs out. The ocean could be heard easily from the height of our room, very relaxing. We did this every night. The mini fridge has 5, 7 ounce Corona's, two Cokes in a bottle, and some other pop, also a couple waters and juice. The bed was very nice for a Mexican hotel. I have stayed at some hotels where the bed made a big difference in the stay, this bed was soft, very nice!!!!!!!!!! The water closet was kinda of small and in the dark was a little difficult to find your way and shut the door without any problems. Oh well, you are on vacation!!!! The shower was good size and plenty of hot water. We didn't use the Jacuzzi tub but it looked night. The double sinks are also nice.

Cleanliness: For the most part this hotel is really clean. The only odd part of this top notch hotel is their timeliness of picking up rooms service. When we arrived the first day at our room a coke bottle, plate and glass sat outside our room. They stayed there for at least 24 hrs. I didn't care, just found it very odd. Two days later I had a couple of coronas, the maid took them out of the trash and put them outside our door. The room was very clean and she did a nice job but the bottles sat there for about 36 hrs. The only reason I can think of is that she doesn't take glass in her trash and there is someone else that does room service pick up. This isn't a huge thing, but one of the little things that doesn't make it a 5 star!

Unlimited Club: This is not a timeshare but similar. It is a program to get discounts all all there resorts. I wasn't pressed by anyone to listen to their presentation like other reviews have eluded to. I was asked by Rachel, one of the VIP desk representatives if I would be interested when I picked up my resort coupons. I could have said no really easy but she offered me $150 in resort credit and $100 spa credit so I said, "what the heck". It is only for married couples and you have to show ID and a credit card to be taken seriously. Our sales person was Oriana and she was very nice. Not overly a hard seller but I did not expect the extremely high price for just a program versus a resell-able asset timeshare. I like Secrets/Dreams resorts, which the program works with. The programs we looked at was almost $19,000. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!! Tough to pull the trigger without being able to do your research. We were pressured but nothing I couldn't handle and politely declined. We were walked out and they gave us the coupons we were promised. If you don't mind giving up 2 solid hours for the sales pitch, it might be worth it for you to get the discounts. I don't regret it and if the program would have been more reasonable, I might have been interested.

Beach: I am not a huge beach guy and it won't make or break my trip. I do like a nice view and that's about it. The beach here isn't the greatest at the point you enter the water. Many rocks so bring your water shoes. The sand is great but at the water line it transitions to rocks, seems smooth like river rocks. The water front isn't overly huge but adequate to get your beach fix. They have kayaks and a life guard on watch. They put a trampoline and rock climbing wall out and anchor it in the water, nice touch. There are some vendors on the beach but they don't hassle you too much if you are nice and say, "no gracias". We ended up buying some great carvings and negotiated a fair deal. Don't settle for their first prices or you will be ripped off.

Pools: there are many pools for each age group, again we wished we were on the Secrets side on Saturday when it was crowded. On Sun, Mon, and Tuesday the Now side was fine. The pool bar was a little small and took a little time to get a drink when busy. We tipped our waiter and he came back more than enough times. They play games throughout the day and give T-shirts as gifts. The entertainment staff is very nice and they don't pressure you to play. We show rifles up by the tennis courts on the Secrets side, very fun. They also have a batting cage and archery up there.

Spa: My wife did a body wrap with her discount. The Spa is very nice! The prices however are very high and even higher than spas in Chicago. The wrap was $139 for 50 minutes but included an hour in the hydrotherapy circuit. 50 minute massages and 80 minute were pricey at $149 and $179, I think. Many reviews suggest Heavenly Hands, right outside the resort. I would have gone there if I had had more time.

Sorry for the long review but I rely on TripAdvisor to make my vacation choices so I try to give back a little bit. Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions. I recommend this hotel for the price it is at right now. You shouldn't be worried one bit if it will be a good hotel or not.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the main buildings have great ocean views. Only the first few floors don't...
14 Thank markmoose1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wow! That's all I can say. This is a 5 star resort for a very reasonable price. Rooms are amazing. Every room has an ocean view. Restaurants are very good. Service is fantastic. Pools and activities are great. Beach is nice, kind of small and a bit rocky in the water, but still very useable. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Only complaint was I didn't know about the strict dress code for the restaurants. Most of the restaurants require pants and closed toed shoes for dinner. I didn't even bring pants, so I had to go buy some at the department store across the street. All I had was running shoes so those were my "dress up" shoes. If this info was included in the booking email that would be helpful for other first-time all-inclusivers like me....

2 Thank Brandon S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The proximity to the airport was great about 12 - 15 min depending on traffic - catching a taxi is easy as well - just ignore the people when you get past customs/security - go straight outside to the taxi booth; Check in was a breeze, we had to wait 30 min until our room was ready - but since the resort is all inclusive, you can easily get drinks from the hotel lobby bar, get on wifi, and take in the view - If you need to wait longer than 30 min you can give your bags to concierge change in the bathroom and go to the beach / pool or of course to eat. The service on our stay was excellent, tons of staff whom do know english and spanish, and they were haste with bringing you what you may want or need. USD or Pesos are excepted for tips you may want to give AND off the resort either Pesos or USD are accepted. The rooms were very clean, tons of towels, slippers, bathrobes, and bathroom essentials. We had an amazing view from our suite, not to mention walk out patio area with two chairs. The bed was soft which is a big plus. Their are tons of pools outside, jacuzzis, life size chess board, ping pong tables, swim up pool bar, hammocks, beach beds, fresh towels etc. There are people already on the beach waiting to let you ride jet skis 55USD for 30 min - or do horseback riding - or trampoline in the water - kayaks - or banana boat. The food was so so, you can go to restaurants onsite or eat from the buffet items they have out during the day. (Some restaurants have a dress code) Also during the day around noon they have about 4 cart/stations that are pushed around the pool area, and they have tacos, and carving from meats (super cool) etc. Overall, you will find something to eat whether you are not picky or whether you are a vegetarian . The alcoholic drinks were good and potent, we drank a couple hundred dollars worth of drinks on our stay, so the all inclusiveness comes in handy. Room Service is 24/7 and is free of course. The events they have onsite are pretty cool, it just depends on your interest (dancers etc.) / They do have a club scene on the resort with loud music and dance floor, but it was dead when we went - but it is there. They have Secrets Hotel next door, you can easily walk right into their hotel or onto their side of the beach - its practically the same resort. There were couples, families, and groups of friends. The age group was small children to senior citizens, very diverse. There is a souvenir shop right next to the resort, just ask your taxi driver to take you there on the way to the airport, its way cheaper to buy off the resort bought a dress for $12, T shirts for $5, earrings for $3. Tip 1: Ignore people at the airport once you get past customs/security - go straight to taxi booth outside to buy taxi ticket ; Tip 2: Some restaurants have dress codes so be informed of those - check out the website ; Tip 3: Some have said the drinks are watered down, if you get one that is switch your bartender or order a different drink or drink more drinks , but overall you can get a buzz or drunk (ha) ; Tip 4: Try not to buy from the resort gift shop or people on the beach unless you have to, tell your taxi driver on the way back to the airport to take you to the souvenir shop (super convenient to do it this way - last minute - no additional taxi fees - and the items are cheaper to buy)

3 Thank Nickie R
Mexico City
Reviewed May 21, 2013

With its beautiful beach, incredibly delightful restaurants and outstanding service, the Now Amber made my vacations unforgettable.
First of all, I couldn't believe I would find a hotel like this in Puerto Vallarta. Its, seriously, a Paradise. You don't need to leave the hotel but if you wanna go around, the location is perfect to be in downtown in just a couple of minutes.
The beach of the hotel is, with no doubts, the best one in all Puerto Vallarta and the service that I received made me feel like a king.
You can go to the next door hotel's restaurants since they are from the same company, just be sure to be hungry because the food is so delicious that you want to try every restaurant in the complex.
The pools are really cool and the entertainment staff will be sure that you don't get bored at any moment. The sweet part of it is that if you just want to relax; they won't be obnoxious, like some entertainment staff people from other hotels.
I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to book in the Preferred Club; the rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alejandro R
Mauricio M, Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Mr. Alejandro R,

Thank you for bestowing on us the pleasure and honor of hosting your recent holiday.
Your feedback is very much appreciated not just by me but also by our staff who´s dedication and passion is witnessed and confirmed through this channel. Trust that your words of kindness will be shared specially with those whose efforts made the difference.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to NOW Amber´s paradise in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Incredible late honeymoon! We had soo much fun at this resort I couldn't ask for a better place to stay in PV. Yes there were a few things that could be improved on but overall amazing resort which I definitely recommend!
Rooms: Clean and modern, large walk-in shower, small but jetted tub, big comfortable bed, lounge chair and patio doors that open up to the view of the ocean. Stunning. Every room has an ocean view and I really don't think we would've had any more fun if we stayed in the preffered tower. Save your money stay in the main tower and you wont regret it!
Property: They keep the grounds very clean and yes it is as beautiful as the pictures!
Beach: This is not the Carrebean and we knew that going in. The beach is rocky but bring water shoes and it wont bother you at all. 5 out of our 6 days there the current was perfect to swim! Slight waves and water feels cold at first but after you start moving around it feels amazing. The 6th day the current was pretty strong, too strong to swim, but perfect for jetskiing and boogy boards. Your on vacation, make the best of it!
Food: Fantastic! Every restaurant was delicious and you have a lot of options to choose from. Our favorite was Himitsu make sure you call down to make a reservation for the tepenyaki table-amazing! Our chef was Jesus, he was really funny, very skilled and it was a delicious and very entertaining meal. The french and italian restaurants were also really tasty! For lunch we ate at Castaways the only al carte option for lunch. Food there was exceptionally good, the mahi-mahi was amazing and so was the fajita burrito. The beef nachos needed a little more beef but were still delicious. Our least favorite restaurant was Tamarindo their Mexican restaurant. When we approached the restaurant there was a Mariachi band playing and we got really excited. Then we walked in and were blown away by the beauty of the restaurant and then we saw the menu and were very disapointed. We expected ethnic Mexican food enchiladas, tamales, fajitas and instead we got seafood, steaks and some chicken with cornbread. Definitely not what we were expecting! I understand they want to elevate the food but at a Mexican restaurant we want to experince Mexican food, if we wanted steak we would go to the steakhouse. Cocos cafe was great, we got snacks and coffee from there often, but they only had 2 computers and they didnt have a printer/scanner which made signing a few documents for work very difficult.
Location: Great! About 15mins ($22) from airport and 10mins($6) from Malecon and marina- great central location!
Staff: Fantastic! I was amazed by the hospitality and everyone was very friendly and happy! The entertainment staff tries very hard to ensure that you are having fun and we tried kayaking, archery and tequilla tasting. And if you want to go out dancing, they take you to a nightclub! We felt very safe going with them, they got us a cab from the hotel and ensured that we had a safe cab on our way back. David,entainment staff, was a lot of fun and made sure we had a blast :) The concierge was also extremely helpful at scanning documents for us and printing our boarding passes! The only negative is that although we had the red Do Not Disturb light on our door, the maid still tried to enter to clean our room! And even after we said No thank you she kept knocking on our door and even tried to open the door with her key but we had the deadbolt on so she couldnt enter. That happened twice! Besides that everyone was wonderful! Our bed was made every day and they checked our room a second time in the afternoon :)
Overall: A great, beautiful and relaxing resort that I would recommend and go back to! I would also love to try their sister properties and see how they compare :)
Things to improve on: Business Center, adding some more options for breakfast and lunch and Tamarindo's menu-adding some more traditional dishes!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view but the view from the main tower is actually better then the preffered...
2 Thank Elly G
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Finally got around to writing a review for this hotel based on my experiences during spring break. In a nutshell there are some weaknesses but overall there is just too much good stuff going on for me to rate this lower than excellent.

Tip - before going down, make sure you are aware of the dress code and the age limitations of certain areas within the property including restaurants. I won't comment on those becuase they are what they are! Have a look at their website so you are fully aware.

Some drawbacks to be aware of:
- In busy times, it can be difficult to find spots at the pool or on the beach. Greedy fellow vacationers snag prime spots by putting their junk on the chairs first thing in the morning and go back to sleep. There needs to be some kind of policy where you get a grace period then the stuff gets moved to lost and found. The Westin in Kaanapali does it and I love it.... what can I say? - its one of my hot buttons. Having said that, the poolside waiters are only too happy to ditch towels and sunscreen from empty chairs for you - so problem solved.
- We found the food in the restaurants to be very much banquet style - meaning pre-cooked, pre-plated, reheated. Not to say it was bad - but it is what it is. Our favourite ala carte restaurant was probably the Mexcian as we could go there with our 2 little ones and got exposed to some authentic dishes we otherwise would not try. We did enjoy the Japanese only for the variety....being from Vancouver we have access to good Japanese restaurants. The Mediterranian and the Italian place were just ok too.
- the beach is seriously loaded with people selling all kinds of stuff from weed to kites and everything in between. Often there would be a wall of touts blocking out our view of the surf and our two young kids. No complaints here about people trying to make a living - just be aware if you are hoping for a quiet beach where you can drift off to sleep listening to the waves lap up on the beach... this isn't it.

What we liked:
- awesome staff - particularly in the buffet, the kids club and the waiters around the pool and beach. They worked so hard, and were extremely friendly, helpful, fun, quick.. can't say enough good things about the team. Nayalie at the buffet stood out amongst a team of superstars.
- beautful grounds / pool / beach area
- an excellent buffet that I think topped the ala carte restaurants for quality. Fresh grilled fish station, sushi, pasta station.... no problems going there multiple times per day and they always changed stuff up. Service was excellent
- rooms - very nice. We had 2 adults and 2 kids under 8 in one room and it worked just fine. We stayed in the prefered side which afforded us a bigger patio. We used a "standard" room in the main hotel right before our flight to shower, change etc and it was equal other than a smaller balcony. Sleep quality was good, pretty quiet.
- Kids club: amazing. Activities planned by the hour, with a listing of the next days events posted so you and your little ones can pick and choose. As you can see on their website, they really made the kids zone a special place with trampolines, soccer pitch, indoor activities. They do everything from take photos with snakes, to bake their own cookies to trips to the beach or pool.
- Activities: day one had a tequila information and tasting session, throughout our trip the event team had fun excercise or games on the go. Never a dull moment.
- a curious mix of guests ranging from couples, college students, families, to single Mom's passing out from excessive drinking at the pool bar and everything in between. Made for some fun interactions and people watching!
- loved having an iced latte at the coffee shop or a strong beverage watching the sunset in the spectacular lobby bar.

In short, while I would put this place below my ranking for the other spot I like staying at in Nuevo Vallarta (see my past posts on Marival Resort and World Spa) I would come back here. Great people, lots of fun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank billybob101
Shabbona, Illinois
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Beautiful property. Shares restaurants with Secrets next door. Similar in style - only difference is Secrets is Adults only. The beach is slightly rocky when the tide comes in. Great service by all staff. Apple rep in lobby great. Went on a Canopy River ATV and Zip-line tour. amazing! Fantastic omletts at Carnival restaurant buffet

2 Thank kcruise99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!