“Wonderful All-inclusive in PV!”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wow! That's all I can say. This is a 5 star resort for a very reasonable price. Rooms are amazing. Every room has an ocean view. Restaurants are very good. Service is fantastic. Pools and activities are great. Beach is nice, kind of small and a bit rocky in the water, but still very useable. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Only complaint was I didn't know about the strict dress code for the restaurants. Most of the restaurants require pants and closed toed shoes for dinner. I didn't even bring pants, so I had to go buy some at the department store across the street. All I had was running shoes so those were my "dress up" shoes. If this info was included in the booking email that would be helpful for other first-time all-inclusivers like me....

2  Thank Brandon S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,977)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The proximity to the airport was great about 12 - 15 min depending on traffic - catching a taxi is easy as well - just ignore the people when you get past customs/security - go straight outside to the taxi booth; Check in was a breeze, we had to wait 30 min until our room was ready - but since the resort is all inclusive, you can easily get drinks from the hotel lobby bar, get on wifi, and take in the view - If you need to wait longer than 30 min you can give your bags to concierge change in the bathroom and go to the beach / pool or of course to eat. The service on our stay was excellent, tons of staff whom do know english and spanish, and they were haste with bringing you what you may want or need. USD or Pesos are excepted for tips you may want to give AND off the resort either Pesos or USD are accepted. The rooms were very clean, tons of towels, slippers, bathrobes, and bathroom essentials. We had an amazing view from our suite, not to mention walk out patio area with two chairs. The bed was soft which is a big plus. Their are tons of pools outside, jacuzzis, life size chess board, ping pong tables, swim up pool bar, hammocks, beach beds, fresh towels etc. There are people already on the beach waiting to let you ride jet skis 55USD for 30 min - or do horseback riding - or trampoline in the water - kayaks - or banana boat. The food was so so, you can go to restaurants onsite or eat from the buffet items they have out during the day. (Some restaurants have a dress code) Also during the day around noon they have about 4 cart/stations that are pushed around the pool area, and they have tacos, and carving from meats (super cool) etc. Overall, you will find something to eat whether you are not picky or whether you are a vegetarian . The alcoholic drinks were good and potent, we drank a couple hundred dollars worth of drinks on our stay, so the all inclusiveness comes in handy. Room Service is 24/7 and is free of course. The events they have onsite are pretty cool, it just depends on your interest (dancers etc.) / They do have a club scene on the resort with loud music and dance floor, but it was dead when we went - but it is there. They have Secrets Hotel next door, you can easily walk right into their hotel or onto their side of the beach - its practically the same resort. There were couples, families, and groups of friends. The age group was small children to senior citizens, very diverse. There is a souvenir shop right next to the resort, just ask your taxi driver to take you there on the way to the airport, its way cheaper to buy off the resort bought a dress for $12, T shirts for $5, earrings for $3. Tip 1: Ignore people at the airport once you get past customs/security - go straight to taxi booth outside to buy taxi ticket ; Tip 2: Some restaurants have dress codes so be informed of those - check out the website ; Tip 3: Some have said the drinks are watered down, if you get one that is switch your bartender or order a different drink or drink more drinks , but overall you can get a buzz or drunk (ha) ; Tip 4: Try not to buy from the resort gift shop or people on the beach unless you have to, tell your taxi driver on the way back to the airport to take you to the souvenir shop (super convenient to do it this way - last minute - no additional taxi fees - and the items are cheaper to buy)

3  Thank Nickie R
Reviewed May 21, 2013

With its beautiful beach, incredibly delightful restaurants and outstanding service, the Now Amber made my vacations unforgettable.
First of all, I couldn't believe I would find a hotel like this in Puerto Vallarta. Its, seriously, a Paradise. You don't need to leave the hotel but if you wanna go around, the location is perfect to be in downtown in just a couple of minutes.
The beach of the hotel is, with no doubts, the best one in all Puerto Vallarta and the service that I received made me feel like a king.
You can go to the next door hotel's restaurants since they are from the same company, just be sure to be hungry because the food is so delicious that you want to try every restaurant in the complex.
The pools are really cool and the entertainment staff will be sure that you don't get bored at any moment. The sweet part of it is that if you just want to relax; they won't be obnoxious, like some entertainment staff people from other hotels.
I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to book in the Preferred Club; the rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alejandro R
Mauricio M, Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Mr. Alejandro R,

Thank you for bestowing on us the pleasure and honor of hosting your recent holiday.
Your feedback is very much appreciated not just by me but also by our staff who´s dedication and passion is witnessed and confirmed through this channel. Trust that your words of kindness will be shared specially with those whose efforts made the difference.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to NOW Amber´s paradise in the near future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Incredible late honeymoon! We had soo much fun at this resort I couldn't ask for a better place to stay in PV. Yes there were a few things that could be improved on but overall amazing resort which I definitely recommend!
Rooms: Clean and modern, large walk-in shower, small but jetted tub, big comfortable bed, lounge chair and patio doors that open up to the view of the ocean. Stunning. Every room has an ocean view and I really don't think we would've had any more fun if we stayed in the preffered tower. Save your money stay in the main tower and you wont regret it!
Property: They keep the grounds very clean and yes it is as beautiful as the pictures!
Beach: This is not the Carrebean and we knew that going in. The beach is rocky but bring water shoes and it wont bother you at all. 5 out of our 6 days there the current was perfect to swim! Slight waves and water feels cold at first but after you start moving around it feels amazing. The 6th day the current was pretty strong, too strong to swim, but perfect for jetskiing and boogy boards. Your on vacation, make the best of it!
Food: Fantastic! Every restaurant was delicious and you have a lot of options to choose from. Our favorite was Himitsu make sure you call down to make a reservation for the tepenyaki table-amazing! Our chef was Jesus, he was really funny, very skilled and it was a delicious and very entertaining meal. The french and italian restaurants were also really tasty! For lunch we ate at Castaways the only al carte option for lunch. Food there was exceptionally good, the mahi-mahi was amazing and so was the fajita burrito. The beef nachos needed a little more beef but were still delicious. Our least favorite restaurant was Tamarindo their Mexican restaurant. When we approached the restaurant there was a Mariachi band playing and we got really excited. Then we walked in and were blown away by the beauty of the restaurant and then we saw the menu and were very disapointed. We expected ethnic Mexican food enchiladas, tamales, fajitas and instead we got seafood, steaks and some chicken with cornbread. Definitely not what we were expecting! I understand they want to elevate the food but at a Mexican restaurant we want to experince Mexican food, if we wanted steak we would go to the steakhouse. Cocos cafe was great, we got snacks and coffee from there often, but they only had 2 computers and they didnt have a printer/scanner which made signing a few documents for work very difficult.
Location: Great! About 15mins ($22) from airport and 10mins($6) from Malecon and marina- great central location!
Staff: Fantastic! I was amazed by the hospitality and everyone was very friendly and happy! The entertainment staff tries very hard to ensure that you are having fun and we tried kayaking, archery and tequilla tasting. And if you want to go out dancing, they take you to a nightclub! We felt very safe going with them, they got us a cab from the hotel and ensured that we had a safe cab on our way back. David,entainment staff, was a lot of fun and made sure we had a blast :) The concierge was also extremely helpful at scanning documents for us and printing our boarding passes! The only negative is that although we had the red Do Not Disturb light on our door, the maid still tried to enter to clean our room! And even after we said No thank you she kept knocking on our door and even tried to open the door with her key but we had the deadbolt on so she couldnt enter. That happened twice! Besides that everyone was wonderful! Our bed was made every day and they checked our room a second time in the afternoon :)
Overall: A great, beautiful and relaxing resort that I would recommend and go back to! I would also love to try their sister properties and see how they compare :)
Things to improve on: Business Center, adding some more options for breakfast and lunch and Tamarindo's menu-adding some more traditional dishes!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view but the view from the main tower is actually better then the preffered...
2  Thank Elly G
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Finally got around to writing a review for this hotel based on my experiences during spring break. In a nutshell there are some weaknesses but overall there is just too much good stuff going on for me to rate this lower than excellent.

Tip - before going down, make sure you are aware of the dress code and the age limitations of certain areas within the property including restaurants. I won't comment on those becuase they are what they are! Have a look at their website so you are fully aware.

Some drawbacks to be aware of:
- In busy times, it can be difficult to find spots at the pool or on the beach. Greedy fellow vacationers snag prime spots by putting their junk on the chairs first thing in the morning and go back to sleep. There needs to be some kind of policy where you get a grace period then the stuff gets moved to lost and found. The Westin in Kaanapali does it and I love it.... what can I say? - its one of my hot buttons. Having said that, the poolside waiters are only too happy to ditch towels and sunscreen from empty chairs for you - so problem solved.
- We found the food in the restaurants to be very much banquet style - meaning pre-cooked, pre-plated, reheated. Not to say it was bad - but it is what it is. Our favourite ala carte restaurant was probably the Mexcian as we could go there with our 2 little ones and got exposed to some authentic dishes we otherwise would not try. We did enjoy the Japanese only for the variety....being from Vancouver we have access to good Japanese restaurants. The Mediterranian and the Italian place were just ok too.
- the beach is seriously loaded with people selling all kinds of stuff from weed to kites and everything in between. Often there would be a wall of touts blocking out our view of the surf and our two young kids. No complaints here about people trying to make a living - just be aware if you are hoping for a quiet beach where you can drift off to sleep listening to the waves lap up on the beach... this isn't it.

What we liked:
- awesome staff - particularly in the buffet, the kids club and the waiters around the pool and beach. They worked so hard, and were extremely friendly, helpful, fun, quick.. can't say enough good things about the team. Nayalie at the buffet stood out amongst a team of superstars.
- beautful grounds / pool / beach area
- an excellent buffet that I think topped the ala carte restaurants for quality. Fresh grilled fish station, sushi, pasta station.... no problems going there multiple times per day and they always changed stuff up. Service was excellent
- rooms - very nice. We had 2 adults and 2 kids under 8 in one room and it worked just fine. We stayed in the prefered side which afforded us a bigger patio. We used a "standard" room in the main hotel right before our flight to shower, change etc and it was equal other than a smaller balcony. Sleep quality was good, pretty quiet.
- Kids club: amazing. Activities planned by the hour, with a listing of the next days events posted so you and your little ones can pick and choose. As you can see on their website, they really made the kids zone a special place with trampolines, soccer pitch, indoor activities. They do everything from take photos with snakes, to bake their own cookies to trips to the beach or pool.
- Activities: day one had a tequila information and tasting session, throughout our trip the event team had fun excercise or games on the go. Never a dull moment.
- a curious mix of guests ranging from couples, college students, families, to single Mom's passing out from excessive drinking at the pool bar and everything in between. Made for some fun interactions and people watching!
- loved having an iced latte at the coffee shop or a strong beverage watching the sunset in the spectacular lobby bar.

In short, while I would put this place below my ranking for the other spot I like staying at in Nuevo Vallarta (see my past posts on Marival Resort and World Spa) I would come back here. Great people, lots of fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank billybob101
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Beautiful property. Shares restaurants with Secrets next door. Similar in style - only difference is Secrets is Adults only. The beach is slightly rocky when the tide comes in. Great service by all staff. Apple rep in lobby great. Went on a Canopy River ATV and Zip-line tour. amazing! Fantastic omletts at Carnival restaurant buffet

2  Thank kcruise99
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Family Trip (2 under 18 and 2 over 18) - April 20 - 30, 2013

This the third Dreams property that we have visited in PV - four times at Dreams PV, once at Dreams Villamanga and now the NOW. They all share in the beautiful scenery, clean resort standard, and amazing staff (none better). Villamagna has the better pools and great walking beach. NOW is new and has the best PV location if you want to explore PV - Dreams PV best food and overall vacation feel in our humble opinion.

NOW negative - well I feel almost ungrateful in stating because it is an amazing hotel - but the dress code - very very overkill for a family resort - even in the Carnival buffet for breakfast. Males over the age of 12 have to wear shirts with collars and sleeves (it was over 80 degrees those 10 days). I felt that (especially with Secrets on the same property) that this was overly strict there are many many fancy choices already. But hey you will manage and I would not hold this against the resort at all - but be prepared before you go.

Another "disppointment" was that even though at age 13 young people will be charged in at adult rates (remember only 3 adults to a room - so if your kids are 13 and older and you are a family of four or more you have to get another room) they cannot access all NOW Amber restaurants - namely the Japanese - I think (again my opinion) that adults could very well enjoy their meals alongside a family with young people over the age of 13. Big thanks to Victor who allowed our family and friends to have the Japanese menu on the "patio" of the Mexican Restaurant - that made a very special 50th celebration memory for me and our young people enjoyed the sushi and tempura immensely - best menu at NOW - but disappointed in not being able to access the restaurant with our boys.

Oh the rooms are all amazing - virtually no noise after 11 pm - but do not (I repeat) do not get a room with an connecting door if you are light sleepers - you will hear most everything your neighbours are doing and yes they will hear you. We had neighbours that had a small child - they did amazing but our sleep patterns and their sleep patterns were not in sync - not their fault but the noise will travel so if that kind of noise will bother you - avoid the connecting door.

Not sure that I would pay the fee for an upgrade for the NOW resort - all the rooms have great views and layouts - but I would definately upgrade at Dreams PV - love their bathrooms there. Villamagna has the weird bathroom "privacy curtain" no walls or screens to shield the later sleepers from the early risers and with kids - I kind of preferred a little more privacy in the bathroom so something to check out before booking Villamagna as a family.

The staff at NOW - great as expected in a Dreams Chain - check in staff (Edith - Violetta - Bernice and Adrianna - excellent - Edith Moran you are a gem - loved you when you worked at Dreams PV and your compassion and caring attitude was appreciated at NOW. Our family thanks you for all the extras you and your staff do. Berny in the preferred area - great. Miguel and Carlos the pool waiters - wonderful - I miss my "agua mineral con limon" and the boys are missing their mohitos no alcohol with coka for sure. Thanks for remembering us each day. Nayally, Carmen, Antonio and Fernando (Carnival Pasta Chef) - you are special - we appreciate your greetings and outstanding customer service. Capers waiter Jose (another ex-Dreams PV staffer) - it was such a pleasure to see you again to remember and make new PV memories. Alix F from the Unlimited Vacation Club - thank you we appreciate your friendliness and attention to detail - NOW should make you a roving concierge! By the way we were never bothered or even approached by the "sales people" - then again we purchased a few years back so maybe that was why.

Over all a fantastic great resort but sadly because of the "13 and older rule" with the Dreams Chain we will need to seek out a more financially common sense all inclusive option for us next year - this is unfortunate (especially after 5 years of going to PV and visiting a Dreams resort) but unless Dreams adjusts the rule we just cannot justify funding 2 rooms for a family of 4 - this makes us sad Dreams is such a great resort chain.

Bottom Line which resort of the 3 is OUR all time favorite - sorry Villamagna and NOW you are great but Dreams PV has our vote - as my husband said "it's like your first love" - and it is true.

Room Tip: All have good views - avoid a room with a connecting door if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family