“Great Trip.. Enjoyed every sec of it!”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great Trip.. Enjoyed every sec of it!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

First I want to start off by saying..It's a vacation people!! Your not on any time just relax and enjoy! I can't understand the complaints some people have. I stayed here for 7 nights w my wife, and had a blast! There was some sort of entertainment around the pool through out the day nothing major but enough to just keep you busy! There is a show every night, again nothing spectacular but entertaining nonetheless you can tell the entertainment staff really do try! Unfortunately not many people go to the night show for one reason or another! Yet we see complaints about it on trip advisor! The food was good, the breakfast buffet has pretty much anything you would want for breakfast starting from cereal to omlet stations, waffles, pancakes, meats, and bagels! I mean really what more would you want for breakfast! The lunch was limited but they did put a buffet by the pool everyday along with the carnival buffet and castaway open everyday for lunch! Decent food not the best but still very good! Dinner was also fine! All the places I went to for dinner had no wait no lines and the food was good! The rib eye steak at castaway was decent! The steak at capers w the butter garlic sauce was really good! The staff really does try and work really hard! I did tip here and there didn't notice any change in service! Now most people that complain the tip is an expectation my only rebuttal to that is ( and I was guilty of this as well) when you see the staff working hard and other tipping it just make me feel guilty that I didn't tip! Don't make that about the staff when it's on us! My advise for people thinking about choosing this resort... Do it! Just remember its a vacation unwind relaxant enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SDA1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The check in was very easy . No option was available to upgrade our room as they said they are fully booked.
Not so many pools available for any kind of activity like pool volleyball or water polo
There is only 1 swim up bar for the entire resort and 2 person taking care of it an no smile as they are overload and it takes 10 minute to get a drink.

The buffet food for breakfast has no variety and the location where they set up all the food is dark and and small. I have been in 3 sTars in Mexico and the food is worse than 3 stars.

I have been in now jade cancun and they were setting up BBQ for lunch with sea food and beef and chicken but there is no sign of it here.

In our room they are not even changing the beauty supply.

In general the food is very disappointing and not so many options for entertainment we believe in Now service and I think management will fix All this issues . The staff are working hard but they are confused and looking for better direction

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Paulfar
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After spending the past 2 weeks at Now Amber I am passing along our feelings on the resort.
The resort was very comfortable and accommodating. Rooms were more than we expected. All facilities worked well. Good water pressure etc. Food was above average for an all inclusive and 24 hour room service was great. Pool bar could of used more bartenders but the waiters made up for that downfall. Honorable mention to all the staff who were all more than acommodating in both spanish and GOOD english. No problems with chairs or umbrellas and the no wristband was refreshing. Healing Hands Message just out of the resorts gates was very reasonable and well worth the money. Security was second to none with no issues.A special mention for Carlos at the reception doors. He advised us on taxi rates, good eateries and insured all of our fragile gifts were well wrapped. Rythym of the Nights was awesome but make sure you go at 5:30 and eat before the show or it becomes a bit uncomfortable. You also have some walking to do so good footwear is a must. The boat ride is approx 1 hour each way but comfortable enough with washrooms on board. The Mellacon has been vastly improved and makes for a very comfortable stroll at anytime day or evening. The only real disappointment was the garbage in the water on the second week. This is not the Hotels fault but did not swim in the ocean week 2 because of it. Have been to many places in Mexico and would rate our total experience a 8 - out of 10. I would go back if the deal was right. The hotel entertainment was adequate for a resort but we really enjoyed time outside of the resort. The Cheeky Monkey as always was entertaining and well worth the money.! 1 dollar margaritas and beers can really influence an afternoon. The view and the ONION RINGS were super.

Room Tip: Higher floor greater view. Stayed on 13 and saw whales etc
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fred N
Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We loved the Now Amber and were never once hassled by the timeshare people....The service is a little slow (unless you get Jose or Miquel around the pool) but the food is fantastic! We ate at Bordeaux twice it was soooo good.

The kids club was amazing! They treated my daughter like a princess and did fun activities with the kids....she wanted to go every night to eat there.

We got a free upgrade when we got there which was nice! The preferred club was the total way to go.

Also we got family photos done at the resort and not only did they turn out well but they were reasonably priced.

All in all a great resort!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank April H
Ottawa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I decided to write this comment after reading a review made by another person who titled their review : Close to perfect yet absolutely terrible. This is exactly how we felt when we stayed at the Now Amber on the first week of april 2013. Everything was absolutely perfect. The people who work there, the food, the drinks from the bar and service in the restaurants were all excellent. The rooms are extremely comfortable and everything is spotless, there are amazing views from all the rooms. We could even access the free Wifi from our rooms. Unfortunately, after 3 o'clock, the noise level made it impossible to relax anywhere, impossible to read a book. At that time, every day, speakers are installed by the pool and a ¨disc jockey¨ with a mac computor plays music so loud, we ended up going to our room and closing the patio doors. It was extremely frustrating. We talked to people at the front desk and to the concierge about this and we mentionned it in the evaluation before leaving. It is very hard to understand and unfortunate that nothing is done to correct this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Helenablondin
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I arrived at Now on April 13th for one week. We were celebrating our 2 year anniversary and also the upcoming arrival of our new addition, in October. We got married at Le Kliffe in 2011 and stayed at Dreams PV during that visit with our 40 guests. We debated going back to Dreams because it was a wonderful stay, but ultimately, I am a pool person so Now won out.

Rooms:
We booked a garden view suite with a request for a King bed. We were assigned a double bed ocean view. Violetta at check in knew we were disappointed and celebrating a few things an offered to move us to Secrets in a few days to get a king bed. We accepted gladly.
The room on the Now side was great. It had the two double beds, double sinks, and the semi-open bathroom area that has been described ad nauseum. It did not bother us. However, the bathroom could use more light - I used the desk area to put on my makeup. The beds were comfortable, the pillows ok. Plenty of closet space. No table or chairs for room service, which we had at Dreams and Secrets Huatulco. We could eat outside on the patio table, so it was ok, just strange not offer an eating area when you offer 24 hr room service. The chaise lounge would be perfect for a child or teenager to sleep on. We kept the doors open every night and slept comfortably listening to the ocean.
The room on the Secrets side was very nice too. A king bed, of course, and a great ocean view. This room, however, was extremely humid and had a very musty smell. I have heard people complain about musty smells in Mexico and the Caribbean, but honestly in 15 trips to these areas, this was the first time I have experienced it. We had to keep the ac on at all times, which was frustrating. No chaise loungs, just a lounge chair. Again, no table to eat on.

Pools/beach:
We preferred the pools and beach at the Now side. I get up early right now anyways, so I usually went down at about 8 am and read until my husband got up. Then we went to breakfast. I found that at the Now side, many chairs were available until almost 930 am. On the Secrets side, however, people were reserving chairs by 7 am. It seemed like there were less chairs on the Secrets side and I did not like the set up. Hard to explain, but basically the chairs were set up sideways to the pools, so you never faced the sun. Kind of strange.
I also experienced an employee "expecting tips" for the first time at the Secrets pool. I have read this before and never really understood it - how can someone seem to be expecting tips?? Well, when you experience it, you know! It was very uncomfortable. We always tip. Sometimes I think my husband tips too much, when the service is not good, to tell you the truth. We do not need to be hovered over for a tip.
We are pool people, so we did enjoy the many pools here. Dreams had a tiny pool and it was hard to find chairs. You were packed in like sardines.
The beach is as you have read. Rocky in areas. At the end of the week, there must have been a storm out in the ocean, because we woke up to piles of rocks. Nothing the hotel can do. If you are a beach person, Dreams PV would be for you.

Food:
The food was very good at all the restaurants we went to. The French was our favorite and we went twice. We went to the buffet on the Now side every morning, except our last day. We were very disappointed with the Secrets buffet. It was about half the size of the Now buffet and was missing items we got every morning at Now. Overall, the food was pretty good. I think that Dreams was much better. I ate everything, and even being pregnant, I never got sick.
Room service was fast. But it was MUCH better at Dreams. We only got it twice here, while we got it daily at Dreams.
I obviously did not drink, but my husband had a few drinks. Overall, no problem there. They had Jack Daniels which made the husband happy. One warning, when ordering virgin drinks at the pools, watch them make them. I got a few with alcohol and a mom told me her kids got a few with alcohol. That is a big issue and needs to be addressed.

The Now side had more partying than I expected. I think this had to do with a radio station group that was there the same week. It didn't bother me, but I might be annoyed if I had kids and had to listend to the swearing. Being a couple without kids, we still preferred the Now side. The kids there were little and well behaved. We found that Dreams PV had many more kids the same time of year, but maybe it just seemed that way because the resort is not as spread out. It was a good mix of ages at Now. The Secrets side was surprisingly young - early 30s. Our last two adults only resorts were a much older crowd. I would have appreciated this if I was in more of a party mode! The Secrets pool was definitely a party all day.

Service was mostly good. The pool bartenders had their favorites though, and sometimes it was hard to get a drink there. There were pool waiters, but since there were only a few, it did take some time to get a drink. They were mostly friendly and all super hard working.

Housekeeping was fine. Hit or miss. But honestly, we couldn't care less about turn down service. As long as we have clean towels, we are fine!

There were nightly shows in the pool area that could be loud until about 10pm. This did not bother us, but I can imagine that people with kids were annoyed. I would have been if my kids were kept up!!

Overall, we would recommend Now/Secrets. I think that staying at Now to save a few bucks is totally worth it, but that's just my opinion. We would return, but I think we will try Dreams again next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank gowiththeflow49
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is the twin resort to the adult only Secrets. Both hotels are identical with the exception that Secrets had some additional selections of premium liquor & of course no kids.
Resort is very couply / family and other than the pool bars didn't really have a place where it was easy to meet new people. The lobby bar located on the 3rd floor was a great place to enjoy a drink and the constant fresh ocean breeze.
Our group consisted of 6 guys so we ventured into town a lot. Melecon was about 80 peso's.

The rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable, and bathrooms had tubs & seperate showers with a bench.
All the rooms in the hotel face the ocean & there is no need to upgrade as they are basically identical.

The buffet always had a varied selection and there was a good assortment of a la carte restaurants. We tried them all and it was a tie between the French & Japanese as our fav's.
I would say the food was better than average in regards to taste and quality. The service was freindly and for the most part good. We did find the Mexican reaturant to be extremely slow.

If you're a sports fan take note. The sports bar is located in the disco and doesn't open until 10 PM. We found it very difficult to get anyone to accomodate our requests to watch the Leaf games. You have to be very persistent and upon success you'll find that they don't turn the A/C on unless you again are very persistent.

If you plan on walking the beach bring a pair of sneakers as the sand is very course and it gets rocky as you go further down. The ocean is quiet rough and didn't find it enjoyable even though we are all strong swimmers so mainly stuck to the pools.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pepperie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!