“Exceeded Our Expectations”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #15 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I are long time Dreams PV customers and usually go with a group every October. We were getting a little tired of Dreams and decided to research another location. Now Amber owned by the same company was outstanding for an AI. Our room. 12th floor with a gorgeous view, was immaculate and comfortable. We felt the food was even better than Dreams. We ate at the French twice, Oceana twice, Himitsu and Teppanyaki. There is something for everyone. Be aware that while the food is very good, the portions are very small. So, for you hearty eaters, you may need to order more. My only complaint about the food was that it was never served steaming hot. The maid service (and yes, we always tip in Mexico) was fairly good but my mirror just never got cleaned. We also had to call the concierge a few times to get our mini-bar serviced. I finally went in person to tell them it continued to be a problem. After that, we had no more problems. The pool service was great. My husband enjoyed Pacifico and Modelo in cans. I am not a big drinker, so I enjoyed my fruity Margaritas. I am sure most people would want a little more alcohol but that is easily remedied by simply asking. Free wifi is provided and it was pretty consistent. There are also free calls to the US and Canada from the room, which was extremely nice. Also, know that the Now Amber is the family friendly side of the resort and no children are allowed in some of the restaurants on the Secrets (Adults Only) side. My husband and I did not feel we needed to upgrade to Preferred Club, but not having experienced it, I cannot adresss any thing about that side. The nightly entertainment was mediocre, at best. However, each bar area had musicians beginning at 10 pm. The service in those bar areas was sporadic. This is a new resort and I am sure there needs to be a little tweaking. Most of the staff was very friendly and really good at their jobs. We had a great week and will return in October.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rubybaby

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Now Amber Resort and Spa in February as an escape from a Canadian winter. Overall we loved the resort for the most part and found the staff friendly and very helpful. Our only complaint would be the agressive sales tactics of the Unlimited Vacation Club. On checking in, we were given an invitation to their presentation the next day, which we decided to attend because we did have an interest in finding out more. We were told that the presentation would be 1 hour and that we would have a special breakfast. Well, the presentation was more like 3 hours, and the "special" breakfast was just at the buffet, with the sales person accompanying us. We were genuinely interested in finding out more about the program, but once we decided that it was not for us, it was very difficult to extricate ourselves without more and more people being brought out in an effort to keep us there. We finally just got up and said we were leaving. Throughout our one week stay, we were approached multiple times with "invitations"; one time being chased down the hill as we were heading out on foot to town. That said, the rest of the week was superb, in almost every aspect. My recommendation would be unless you are interested in joining the Unlimited Vacation club (maybe do some research beforehand), decline the invitation - it's not worth your precious vacation time spent for whatever free perk they offer you.
We thought the quality of the hotel was great, and loved that we could move freely between Now Amber and the Secrets (all adults) Hotel as they shared the same complex. As other travellers have described, no wristbands or reservations at the restaurants are required, and for the most part we had no problem being seated when we chose to go. The only restaurant we had a minor wait for was the Italian restaurant, and it was only for about 15 minutes. Most of the restaurants had beeper things to alert you when the table would be ready, so you could go and enjoy a drink in the lounge while waiting. The food and service at the restaurants was excellent; we especially enjoyed the French and Japanese restaurants, but of course that's a matter of taste. Another reviewer has mentioned Nayely in the Carnival buffet - we also noted her enthusiastic customer service and wanted to make mention of what an asset she is to the resort.
The pool area atmosphere was a bit noisy for our tastes, but we never had any problem getting a lounge chair on the beach, and we were never hassled by the ever-present vendors. Drink service was frequent.
The room was really nice and modern. We were on the 11th floor and looked out directly at the ocean. We were never offered an upgrade, but I can say if you want the upgrade for an improved view you'd be wasting your money. We enjoyed the open concept of the bathroom, although I understand why some reviewers might not. We thought it made the room feel spacious and there were no privacy issues with the toilet being in a separate space with a door. Housekeeping was a bit hit and miss, however. Some nights we had turn-down service and some we did not. Not really a big deal, but it does speak to the attention to detail. We also had one day where our room did not get made up at all - we went to dinner at 7:30 pm and alerted the hotel staff and by the time we got back it had been cleaned. According to their computer our room had beenmarked as having been cleaned, but we assured them it hadn't, so I'm not sure where the breakdown was.
We walked to town several times, and after about the first 10 minutes where it's quite busy and the sidewalks are not in great shape, we were downtown and along the Malecon. An easy walk if you don't mind walking in the heat - it's a little over 8 kilometers to the jetty and back from the hotel door.
We got great massages from the Spa (using the gift certificates from the presentation) and made regular use of the gym, which was busy first thing in the morning, but not at other times of the day. There is a good variety of equipment and weights at the gym, so those inclined to work out while on holiday can do so easily.
So overall, a very positive experience at NowAmber Resort and Spa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank allison_n
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I read lots of reviews before we went there so we thought we knew what to expect and about tipping, but we were surprised by many things that did NOT happen, even when we tipped. We stopped tipping after a few days, unless we got decent service, including the service in the room. Upon arrival there were some things that needed to be fixed right away a door that would not lock, no chain lock on the front door - we had 2 adjoining rooms with our kids in one room and us in the other and we wanted to feel safe. Some were fixed the 2nd day when we left a note and then they phoned to ask how everything was so I told her - then they fixed the rest. But we got terrible service. No towels were left in both rooms on 2 of the days, the rooms were done VERY late - like 5 and 6 pm. We'd be out at the pool all day and return to shower so we could go out for dinner and the rooms were still not done. Had to find maid carts and get our own towels. Tried phoning the 1st time it happened - useless. We were told if we left a few dollars in the room with a note for housekeeping of what we wanted we'd get good service. WRONG! They took the $ but didn't give what we asked and all we asked for was 4 fresh towels in each room each day. I'm not gonna list all my complaints, but there were lots of "little" things - and they all kind of add up .... We talked to people around the pool - many solicited us about what we did for tipping. We were surprised to hear that many of them were not tipping at all.
mini bar service was not done daily.
At Capers Restaurant on our first night for dinner - they "forgot" about us a dinner then tried to suck up - we were there for SO long - one guy came and asked us if we'd like dessert and we said we haven't had dinner yet - he was stunned - what ?? well, 5 guys were on us like hotcakes all serving us dinner at the same time and bringing us drinks we didn't order / want / need. Our empty water cups were filled. Prior to that we had been sitting there, after our appetizers for AGES....

Mexican Restaurant - had GREAT service from Jose Angel and Daniel
Grand Salon Mariachi Night - got Jose Angel again - he remembered us and gave us great service.
We've read and heard there's supposed to be service in room twice a day. We've had bare minimum once/day and it's been late - like 3 or 4 pm the first few days then 5 - 6 pm the rest of the trip.
we didn't get turn down service with the newsletter and "chocolates" for the first 3 nights then got it sporadically after then when I enquired at the front desk. It was also my daughters birthday when we were there and I had let them at the time of booking, in followup confirmations, upon arrival, when signing her up at kids club, etc. They didn't put it on the newsletter and they don't do anything for you.

service at pool is ok. they take forever to bring a drink, you tip them and you never see them again. I gave one guy $2 at the first delivery and said just keep them coming. never came back !!
If he had come back, I would have given him more $, but he didn't. We went to self serve bars after the 2nd day - didn't want to have to worry about tipping and crappy service. I expect to get a drink within 15 minutes. I don't think that's unreasonable. 45 minutes is way too long!

Juan at the self serve bar is great - I'm just going there now - he's friendly and helpful too - we tipped him and sought him out if he was serving at the pool.

our alarm clock time kept resetting to 12 oclock. maid seems to hit it everyday . we kept fixing it. what a hassle !!

Room Tip: all rooms were good locations - they ALL have a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank FamilyofFour841
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary March 6 - 9 at the Amber Now PV. This resort is amazing!! Everything was perfect for us. We were greeted with champagne; Champagne in our hotel room and other surprises during our visit for our anniversary. The staff was awesome and always seemed happy to greet you and help! We enjoyed the food, beverages and snacks so much. We were sorry we didn't get to try all restaurants because of our short stay. However, no complaints of the restaurants we did eat at. I highly recommend the "Romantic Dinner on the Beach". We did this on Friday night and it was wonderful. Food and service were outstanding. Having dinner while watching the sunset was so special. We cannot wait to go back to the resort with our family. We always felt safe and loved the gated entrance into the resort. I loved the coffee shop and also having drinks always fresh while sitting by the pool or beach. We never had trouble finding places to sit by the pool or the beach.

Have I mentioned how beautiful the open air lobby is and how relaxing it is to have a nice drink while sitting out on the lobby patio area? So peaceful in the morning to have our coffee (after breakfast) there..

My only food concern was the Mexican Fiesta night on the beach. The Mexican buffet was not great, but even still, you could snack there and eat at another restaurant.

I would highly recommend this resort and am anxious to return there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. All rooms are oceanview, but the lower level views are mainly the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelvantx
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the new resort in Puerto Vallarta. It's really close to downtown. Cabs were like $5 - $7 which was great because I love going into the flea market and walking down the Malecon.
This is two resorts in one. When you arrive you are directed to which lobby to enter.Both resorts look very similar and sit up high with an amazing view of the ocean. The bell hops greet you with champagne and cold towels. We were in the preferred club tower so as soon as they saw that they took us straight over there so we didn't have to wait in line. You sit down at the desk and the check in process was easy. The longest part was when we realized my parents were "upgraded" to the Secrets side but we didn't want them all the way over so we upgraded them back to a Master Swim up suite so we could be right next door to each other.

And this is extra why I loved this resort: my room category. Clients make comments all the time like "I'm not in my room very much so it doesn't matter." Oh it does matter! It matters if it sucks (I will hear about it!) and it totally makes it better if it's awesome! The room had 2 bathrooms with a huge living room and the best part - a huge balcony with a pool! The pool is just for the swim out suites in the preferred club section. I think there was about 8 rooms. There are 2 "garden view" mater swim out suites right next to each other. You could totally still see the ocean from them. This was the balcony. And one of my favorite parts is they have that middle part so you can lay in the water and the waitstaff would walk right up the side of the pool and bring drinks or guacamole. This is vacation to me!
The resort is kind of like a cruise where they put a daily activity schedule in your room each night with their turn down service. They had dancing lessons, archery, black jack (which I won a bottle of tequila at BTW), beach volleyball and the list goes on. I love places like this because it gives you options of being involved or not.
The NOW Amber side is the side that allows kids. The week we were there (our anniversary week) is when school is in session so there was probably about 10 kids at the whole resort. They had an awesome kids program (or at least it looked awesome). Big kids camp area with tons of stuff to do.
There are lots of restaurants to choose from. Some of the restaurants are in the main building kind of between Secrets and Now so they share. I was skeptical about all of this esp thinking if I was paying to stay on the Secrets side but I ended up really liking it. It made it so all the restaurants were open every night. I've stayed at several Secrets Resorts and it would be like only the main restaurant and one other option was open each night. They had an Asian teppanyaki style restaurant which was adults only and a Mexican one in the middle. Each resort had a seafood/steak restaurant which was sooo good. I had the mahi mahi and they said they buy it fresh at the docks. Then there was also the main buffet restaurant which was just so/so. As good as buffets come I guess. I'm never a buffet's biggest fan.
Ok and on to my second favorite part besides my room category:

THE SPA!
A big bonus with being right next to a Secrets is you get the amazing spa. They had lots of plunge pools and water treatments you did before your treatment you bought. There was an attendant that brought you cookies, almonds, cucumber water or hot tea. They had a sauna and steam room.
I did a facial one day and a seaweed wrap the other day. I loved both of them. So professional and my mom kept saying "Lets go back to the spa". We both loved it.
Most of the time when you book you get coupons for the spa too which helps with the price and they really were not that overpriced for everything you get with it. This is a must do.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a group, get the swim up rooms! If you do the preferred club swim up jr su...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank liavincent
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had never been to Puerto Vallarta before, but we will come back to this resort for sure. We stayed in the adult section of the resort, Secrets in a swim out suite. It was a beautiful room with a king seize bed, soaker tub, and a multi head rain shower. Everything is new and kept in good condition. Fully stocked minibar with pop, water, beer and 24 hour room service. Free international phone calls back to Canada and the US. Our swim out pool was a treat, so warm. We spent lots of time in it even on cloudy days. The only downside to the pool on the Secrets side is that you do not get any sun during this time of the year. The other side, Now Amber gets awesome morning and daytime sun in their swim outs. Food was awesome, did not miss anything. My favourite was the Japanese at Now Amber. The spa was fantastic, we had lots of massages that were nice and I had a pedicure which was ok. They have different deals on every day, so we would walk down after breakfast and book then for the same day. What else... The perfered side had suits to die for. We would have upgraded if there had been availability for the swim out.
Totally recommend this resort, enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank 940Sunshinelover
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Everything about this resort was amazing. My wife and I had a perfect 11 day holiday at the Now Amber. The food is amazing, the resort is clean, but where the Now Amber really excels is it's service. The two staff that stood out the most for us were Alex, from the entertainment staff and Nayely from the Carnival breakfast and lunch buffet. Alex worked tirelessly to ensure every guest had the opportunity to participate in all the activities and was easily the kindest man I have ever met at any of the resorts we have stayed at in Mexico. He went the extra mile to remember our names as well as several other guests and made us feel at home. They would be crazy to let this young man go. Nayely's bright smile and enthusiastic "HOLA!" were the best parts of our mornings. She also remembered our names and made sure that we were well taken care of. On our last day she had the kitchen bring out a cheesecake with a kind farewell message written on the plate in raspberry syrup. My wife was almost in tears having to say goodbye to these incredible people. Our stay was memorable but it was the kindness and assistance of Alex and Nayely that will bring us back. I hope that someone from the company reads these reviews and takes note of the workers that make their business shine!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views. The higher the better!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kurtus34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!