“5 star all the way”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband & I just return from on sat. from the Now Amber in PV and can not say enough great things about this resort.We had a bad experience in Jamaica a few years ago and were hoping we could have a better one on our next all inculsive and we did.
Never did we see or have a grumpy staff encounter.
The serves & food was top notch all the way.
The only negative is the staff that try to get you to go to the timeshare breaskfast, we were about it ahead of time so we didnt fall for the 1.5 hrs meeting (actually 4-5 hrs) We just told them that we would think about and were never bothered again.
We took advantage of the massages outside of the resort and were thrilled with the professionalism of each place we went ,you can't go wrong ,I went to two places and had three different massage theraphists and I'm sad to say I'll probably never have a better one in Canada!
We went Rhythm of the Nights & had a great experience, worth the cash!
All in all I'm hoping that we will be able to return next year but have a feeling that it will be out of our price range next year.

Room Tip: I would want ocean front,beautiful views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prairiegirl4canada
Write a ReviewReviews (2,979)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Arrived to Now Amber very quickly. Airport was the easiest i have got through in all the years we have been going to PV. As we pulled into the resort was offered cool wash clothes but no drink(4th time to a Am Star) that was a bummer. Check in was not very good as we were being checked in we were shoved to the side so a lady could complain about her room, not cool as we were the only ones checking at the time. Room was nice(#1451) but the had construction just right outside of it from our day there to our last day and it still isnt done FYI. Housekeeping never cleaned the room til late afternoon(4:00 to 5:00 PM) Last night there it wasnt cleaned at all. As far as the food it was good and the service was great. The beach i thought was awesome and Able is the best beach waiter. All in all it was a good place but i have stayed in Dreams PV and liked it better.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view dont waste the money for up grade
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patrick K
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at Now Amber from Jan 25th - Feb 1st. The first thing you notice when you arrive at this resort is the beautiful view from the lobby, it is spectacular. At the resort we were taken to the preferred club check in. Check in was painless and our bags were delivered to our room 10 minutes after we got there. So many positives to list about this resort: no wrist bands, no towel cards, you don't have to make reservations at the restaurants, the resort is new and clean, the staff was very happy and helpful. Our room was very nice and open with lots of space, we were on the 4th floor of the preferred club.

There are a lot of different activities throughout the day: kayaking, beach volleyball, tequila tasting, aqua aerobics, bar tending lessons, Spanish lessons, bingo around the pool, pool volleyball. It seemed like there was always something happening, if you didnt want to take part you were never pressured into it.

The food at the resort was great, the buffets had a great selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate at the Italian restaurant 2 times and the Japanese restaurant 2 times. The Italian was pretty good, the steak was cooked perfectly the first night, the 2nd night the pasta carbonara was tasty. Also had the mussels which tasted as good as it looked. At the Japanese restaurant we had the tepenyaki, the cook put on an exciting show and the food was excellent. Also my wife is allergic to seafood and nuts. The resort gave her a card listing her allergies in English and Spanish. We gave ous server this card at the restaurants and they would alert the other servers and cooks. At the Tepenyaki the cook waited till her beef was cooked and then put the seafood on the grill after serving her meal first. Ate the sushi the 2nd time at the japanese restaurant and it was as good as any sushi i've had in Canada.

During our stay we spent most of our time around the pool. The pool was heated which was nice. This is the kid friendly side of this complex so there were kids in and around the pool. We didn't mind the kids, they were funny to watch. This is not a party resort. There were a few drinking games during the week we were there, we didn't see anyone drink too much and get out of hand though.

The nightly entertainment were the best we have seen for an all inclusive resort, the mexican fiesta, fire show, miriachi night and others were and excellent way to finish up the evening.

Excellent family resort, excellent couples resort if you're looking to relax. It is easy to meet people and make friends with others. If you are looking for a party place, I would suggest the adults side at secrets which is in the same building.

In all our vacation was awesome, we will return in the future with kids. The staff was top notch, Nayely was our favourite worker, she was the hostess in the breakfast and lunch buffet.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Preferred Club on the 4th floor. I would recommend going on a different floor sinc...
2  Thank blufforbust
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have been traveling to Puerto Vallarta for over 20 years, however always staying at another wonderful property a few hotels north of the Now Amber.

After reading mostly wonderful reviews we decided to give Now Amber a try this year and was not disappointed.

This property is very beautiful right from the Lobby to the Rooms. The biggest plus are the staff that the Now Amber have working there...``hats off to them all``.

The pools, grounds, restaurants etc. are all kept clean and the food good. Cannot speak for all the restaurants as we go into town to our favourite spots for dinner often.

Yes everyone....when you go to Puerto Vallarta they have many, many beach vendors...please be prepaird for this before booking your trip and then having to complain about it on Trip Advisor. And yes...there are horses on the beach for those who want to take advantage of a ride along the beach, however not once was there a mess made where it wasn`t picked up immediately. You are travelling to Mexico and all of this is part of the flavour and adventure of beautiful Puerto Vallarta.

Personally do not see any reason to upgrade to anything at all. All rooms have an ocean view but for the rooms with the swim up pools to your room - ``Garden View``.

A couple of house keeping issues with our room but not worthy of a long conversation about it.
The pool side snack bar does not have a lot to offer....hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs and frys. Around 2:OO p.m. each day they set up a pool side cooking station usually with a traditional dish being made.

The Explorer Club for kids appears to be quite nice if your children might want to spend sometime there. Should they want to stay and play there awhile, the parents are given a buzzer such as you would get at a restaurant and once your children are ready to leave they will buzz you to come and get them.

If you are travelling to Puerto Vallarta for the first time your biggest issue perhaps faced is getting through the airport to your transportation. There are many, many Time Share representatives lined up on both sides of the hall coming out of the airport. They will use every angle they can to get you to stop and talk to them....even - ``you have to check in here first``. Keep walking directly through the airport untill you get outside....there is where you will find the Taxi`s and Shuttle buses - no need to stop anywhere before you get outside the airport doors.

While in Puerto Vallarta you must go into town....some of the best restaurants....street performers and night life. They have spent a lot of money on the Malecon over the last few years. You can no longer drive through the main street along the Malecon (ocean side boardwalk) and it has been extended right into ``Old Vallarta - Romantic Zone``. You can walk, shop and dine from one end of the Malecon to the other....very safely. You cannot say you have been to Puerto Vallarta without experiencing the beauty of the Town.

Would not hesitate to recommend the Now Amber to any reader....however have noticed the pricing has jumped dramatically since December. You would expect an increase at this season, however a very big difference in pricing of late.

Now we just have to hope this terrific hotel with it`s wonderful location maintains the standards they have set.

Room Tip: If you go a little higher on the floors the view as always of the bay and the evening sunset is amaz...
8  Thank MississaugaHens
Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the beginning, our experience at Now Amber was a great one. Upon arrival, we were greeted VERY promptly with a glasses of champagne and a cool cucumber towels. At check-in, we inquired about possibly switching to the preferred section, but because of a large group due to come the next day, there wasn't anything available (which in the end I am not sad about because I really don't think we missed out on too much). Our room was beautiful. Very clean and cozy and we had a great view even though we were only on the second floor. The pools and grounds were also beautiful and meticulously maintained. They don't offer free wifi, which we thought was kind of a bummer, but they have two computers with internet in the coco cafe that guests are allowed to use, so we had no problem hopping on to check email etc.

The staff was awesome, I don't think we had a bad experience with a single one of them the whole time we were there. I never expect much out of the food when at places like this because I feel like its hard to be good at everything...well let me tell you, they're good at everything. All of the restaurants are excellent, the Market Cafe ended up being our favorite...they had a beef tenderloin dish that was to die for, My only real complaint about the food was that the Barefoot Grill (pool side) was not too good. We got food there once and that was enough. Another staff member we had to come into contact with, whom we were very thankful for, was their resident doctor. I would have never known there was such a thing at this resort but when I got sick (sore throat lingering from before we left) we found out they had one! He came right up to the room to examine me, wrote my prescription and promptly had it delivered from one of the pharmacies outside the resort.

The beach was also amazing and well maintained. A couple days before we arrived, there were some high winds and rain that passed through and washed a lot of rocks ashore. Some people might have seen this as a negative, but my husband and I saw it as an opportunity to do some collecting! By the 3rd or 4th day the rocks were completely gone and it was back to being a beautiful soft sand beach.

The location of the hotel is really nice. Only a 5 minute cab ride to the boardwalk (20 minute walk by beach). There are a lot of stores and such right outside of the hotel entrance too if something were needed. I was worried that the hotel was too "in town" for relaxation, but the way they have it set up, once you're on the resort, you'd never know that there was a bustling town a stones throw away.

One of the things the hotel offered that we took advantage of was a complimentary photo session with Vallarta Adventures. My husband and I have never had professional pictures taken and we figured, what better place then beautiful Puerto Vallarta! The photo session was free and we got one free photo from it. All the other pictures we decided to buy were only $15 a piece and they turned out awesome.

I have to say my only real complaint about this place overall is how close they let the panhandlers get to the guests on the beach. At times it was downright annoying. We never spent a day laying on the beach for the sole reason that we didn't want to be pestered by the locals selling stuff. It was a real bummer. Also, there was a man with his three horses there almost everyday for rides on the beach, which is all well and good, except for the fact that they would poop on the beach and it would smell like a barnyard on that beautiful beach (we were also informed by our Apple rep that he wasn't actually allowed to be on the beach for that exact reason via the Mexican Government). I understand that the beach is technically public property, but I still feel like they could buffer it a little but having the security guys on the beach ask them to back off a bit.

We did however take advantage of some of what the panhandlers had to offer. We decided to go para-sailing one of the days which was a little over priced (we got him down to $50/person) but awesome. We also decided to skip the over priced spa at the hotel and get massages on the beach from the ladies there. It was the best decision we ever made... tandem hour long massages beach side? Yes please.

Overall, I would definitely suggest this hotel to anyone wanting to go to Puerto Vallarta to relax at a low key resort. The food was excellent, as was the staff and rooms. It was well worth the money!

8  Thank ashley16nicole
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is a five plus, we were greeted by name when we arrived in our cab , offered a cold drink and cold towel. We booked a jr swim up but quickly upgraded to the best room they had 1176. We had our own private pool. Watched a bunch of incredible sunsets and enjoyed the peacefulness of our own space . We asked for a private romantic dinner, our conceirge arranged an unforgetable evening for me and my husband. Anytime we ordered room service or asked for a service from the conceirge they would answer " with pleasure" and a smile. The staff is superior to all hotels we have visited. What a treat to stay here!!! Can't wait to come back.
Stayed Dec 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KellyBvettechick
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were there on a day pass (I'm a travel agent and was doing a site inspection). While it was very nice, there was so much concrete. It felt very modern and not mexican like at all. The food was very good (although my daughter did get one deli meat that smelled and had a tinge of green from the breakfast buffet), but that can happen anywhere I guess. The rest of the food was good and their drink and food service around the pool was very fast and wonderful. The pool buffet was pretty good, however, not much different than any other resort I've stayed at. It was also the exact same food as the Secrets side was serving.
The only heated pool was the pool bar and I would have preferred to play with my kids without the many big drinkers there, but they were so cold. I did find that pool to be a little wild and this was only about 2pm on the Now side.
Also, no tank tops for men in the buffet. I am totally aware of dress codes, but usually a tank top for the breakfast buffet is fine for men, but my husband couldn't come in with us, so they did allow me to fill him up a plate and eat on a secluded lounger, but him alone. Oh well, we both ate.
It looked very nice, but had no comfy feeling, so probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family