“Excellent All Inclusive”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #15 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at Now Amber from Jan 25th - Feb 1st. The first thing you notice when you arrive at this resort is the beautiful view from the lobby, it is spectacular. At the resort we were taken to the preferred club check in. Check in was painless and our bags were delivered to our room 10 minutes after we got there. So many positives to list about this resort: no wrist bands, no towel cards, you don't have to make reservations at the restaurants, the resort is new and clean, the staff was very happy and helpful. Our room was very nice and open with lots of space, we were on the 4th floor of the preferred club.

There are a lot of different activities throughout the day: kayaking, beach volleyball, tequila tasting, aqua aerobics, bar tending lessons, Spanish lessons, bingo around the pool, pool volleyball. It seemed like there was always something happening, if you didnt want to take part you were never pressured into it.

The food at the resort was great, the buffets had a great selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate at the Italian restaurant 2 times and the Japanese restaurant 2 times. The Italian was pretty good, the steak was cooked perfectly the first night, the 2nd night the pasta carbonara was tasty. Also had the mussels which tasted as good as it looked. At the Japanese restaurant we had the tepenyaki, the cook put on an exciting show and the food was excellent. Also my wife is allergic to seafood and nuts. The resort gave her a card listing her allergies in English and Spanish. We gave ous server this card at the restaurants and they would alert the other servers and cooks. At the Tepenyaki the cook waited till her beef was cooked and then put the seafood on the grill after serving her meal first. Ate the sushi the 2nd time at the japanese restaurant and it was as good as any sushi i've had in Canada.

During our stay we spent most of our time around the pool. The pool was heated which was nice. This is the kid friendly side of this complex so there were kids in and around the pool. We didn't mind the kids, they were funny to watch. This is not a party resort. There were a few drinking games during the week we were there, we didn't see anyone drink too much and get out of hand though.

The nightly entertainment were the best we have seen for an all inclusive resort, the mexican fiesta, fire show, miriachi night and others were and excellent way to finish up the evening.

Excellent family resort, excellent couples resort if you're looking to relax. It is easy to meet people and make friends with others. If you are looking for a party place, I would suggest the adults side at secrets which is in the same building.

In all our vacation was awesome, we will return in the future with kids. The staff was top notch, Nayely was our favourite worker, she was the hostess in the breakfast and lunch buffet.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Preferred Club on the 4th floor. I would recommend going on a different floor sinc...
2  Thank blufforbust
There are newer reviews for Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have been traveling to Puerto Vallarta for over 20 years, however always staying at another wonderful property a few hotels north of the Now Amber.

After reading mostly wonderful reviews we decided to give Now Amber a try this year and was not disappointed.

This property is very beautiful right from the Lobby to the Rooms. The biggest plus are the staff that the Now Amber have working there...``hats off to them all``.

The pools, grounds, restaurants etc. are all kept clean and the food good. Cannot speak for all the restaurants as we go into town to our favourite spots for dinner often.

Yes everyone....when you go to Puerto Vallarta they have many, many beach vendors...please be prepaird for this before booking your trip and then having to complain about it on Trip Advisor. And yes...there are horses on the beach for those who want to take advantage of a ride along the beach, however not once was there a mess made where it wasn`t picked up immediately. You are travelling to Mexico and all of this is part of the flavour and adventure of beautiful Puerto Vallarta.

Personally do not see any reason to upgrade to anything at all. All rooms have an ocean view but for the rooms with the swim up pools to your room - ``Garden View``.

A couple of house keeping issues with our room but not worthy of a long conversation about it.
The pool side snack bar does not have a lot to offer....hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs and frys. Around 2:OO p.m. each day they set up a pool side cooking station usually with a traditional dish being made.

The Explorer Club for kids appears to be quite nice if your children might want to spend sometime there. Should they want to stay and play there awhile, the parents are given a buzzer such as you would get at a restaurant and once your children are ready to leave they will buzz you to come and get them.

If you are travelling to Puerto Vallarta for the first time your biggest issue perhaps faced is getting through the airport to your transportation. There are many, many Time Share representatives lined up on both sides of the hall coming out of the airport. They will use every angle they can to get you to stop and talk to them....even - ``you have to check in here first``. Keep walking directly through the airport untill you get outside....there is where you will find the Taxi`s and Shuttle buses - no need to stop anywhere before you get outside the airport doors.

While in Puerto Vallarta you must go into town....some of the best restaurants....street performers and night life. They have spent a lot of money on the Malecon over the last few years. You can no longer drive through the main street along the Malecon (ocean side boardwalk) and it has been extended right into ``Old Vallarta - Romantic Zone``. You can walk, shop and dine from one end of the Malecon to the other....very safely. You cannot say you have been to Puerto Vallarta without experiencing the beauty of the Town.

Would not hesitate to recommend the Now Amber to any reader....however have noticed the pricing has jumped dramatically since December. You would expect an increase at this season, however a very big difference in pricing of late.

Now we just have to hope this terrific hotel with it`s wonderful location maintains the standards they have set.

Room Tip: If you go a little higher on the floors the view as always of the bay and the evening sunset is amaz...
8  Thank MississaugaHens
Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the beginning, our experience at Now Amber was a great one. Upon arrival, we were greeted VERY promptly with a glasses of champagne and a cool cucumber towels. At check-in, we inquired about possibly switching to the preferred section, but because of a large group due to come the next day, there wasn't anything available (which in the end I am not sad about because I really don't think we missed out on too much). Our room was beautiful. Very clean and cozy and we had a great view even though we were only on the second floor. The pools and grounds were also beautiful and meticulously maintained. They don't offer free wifi, which we thought was kind of a bummer, but they have two computers with internet in the coco cafe that guests are allowed to use, so we had no problem hopping on to check email etc.

The staff was awesome, I don't think we had a bad experience with a single one of them the whole time we were there. I never expect much out of the food when at places like this because I feel like its hard to be good at everything...well let me tell you, they're good at everything. All of the restaurants are excellent, the Market Cafe ended up being our favorite...they had a beef tenderloin dish that was to die for, My only real complaint about the food was that the Barefoot Grill (pool side) was not too good. We got food there once and that was enough. Another staff member we had to come into contact with, whom we were very thankful for, was their resident doctor. I would have never known there was such a thing at this resort but when I got sick (sore throat lingering from before we left) we found out they had one! He came right up to the room to examine me, wrote my prescription and promptly had it delivered from one of the pharmacies outside the resort.

The beach was also amazing and well maintained. A couple days before we arrived, there were some high winds and rain that passed through and washed a lot of rocks ashore. Some people might have seen this as a negative, but my husband and I saw it as an opportunity to do some collecting! By the 3rd or 4th day the rocks were completely gone and it was back to being a beautiful soft sand beach.

The location of the hotel is really nice. Only a 5 minute cab ride to the boardwalk (20 minute walk by beach). There are a lot of stores and such right outside of the hotel entrance too if something were needed. I was worried that the hotel was too "in town" for relaxation, but the way they have it set up, once you're on the resort, you'd never know that there was a bustling town a stones throw away.

One of the things the hotel offered that we took advantage of was a complimentary photo session with Vallarta Adventures. My husband and I have never had professional pictures taken and we figured, what better place then beautiful Puerto Vallarta! The photo session was free and we got one free photo from it. All the other pictures we decided to buy were only $15 a piece and they turned out awesome.

I have to say my only real complaint about this place overall is how close they let the panhandlers get to the guests on the beach. At times it was downright annoying. We never spent a day laying on the beach for the sole reason that we didn't want to be pestered by the locals selling stuff. It was a real bummer. Also, there was a man with his three horses there almost everyday for rides on the beach, which is all well and good, except for the fact that they would poop on the beach and it would smell like a barnyard on that beautiful beach (we were also informed by our Apple rep that he wasn't actually allowed to be on the beach for that exact reason via the Mexican Government). I understand that the beach is technically public property, but I still feel like they could buffer it a little but having the security guys on the beach ask them to back off a bit.

We did however take advantage of some of what the panhandlers had to offer. We decided to go para-sailing one of the days which was a little over priced (we got him down to $50/person) but awesome. We also decided to skip the over priced spa at the hotel and get massages on the beach from the ladies there. It was the best decision we ever made... tandem hour long massages beach side? Yes please.

Overall, I would definitely suggest this hotel to anyone wanting to go to Puerto Vallarta to relax at a low key resort. The food was excellent, as was the staff and rooms. It was well worth the money!

8  Thank ashley16nicole
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is a five plus, we were greeted by name when we arrived in our cab , offered a cold drink and cold towel. We booked a jr swim up but quickly upgraded to the best room they had 1176. We had our own private pool. Watched a bunch of incredible sunsets and enjoyed the peacefulness of our own space . We asked for a private romantic dinner, our conceirge arranged an unforgetable evening for me and my husband. Anytime we ordered room service or asked for a service from the conceirge they would answer " with pleasure" and a smile. The staff is superior to all hotels we have visited. What a treat to stay here!!! Can't wait to come back.
Stayed Dec 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KellyBvettechick
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were there on a day pass (I'm a travel agent and was doing a site inspection). While it was very nice, there was so much concrete. It felt very modern and not mexican like at all. The food was very good (although my daughter did get one deli meat that smelled and had a tinge of green from the breakfast buffet), but that can happen anywhere I guess. The rest of the food was good and their drink and food service around the pool was very fast and wonderful. The pool buffet was pretty good, however, not much different than any other resort I've stayed at. It was also the exact same food as the Secrets side was serving.
The only heated pool was the pool bar and I would have preferred to play with my kids without the many big drinkers there, but they were so cold. I did find that pool to be a little wild and this was only about 2pm on the Now side.
Also, no tank tops for men in the buffet. I am totally aware of dress codes, but usually a tank top for the breakfast buffet is fine for men, but my husband couldn't come in with us, so they did allow me to fill him up a plate and eat on a secluded lounger, but him alone. Oh well, we both ate.
It looked very nice, but had no comfy feeling, so probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank maried11
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This our first time in Puerto Vallarta and definitely will not be our last. Now resort, being only a year old is up to date with style and architecture, very clean. The food was the best I have had anywhere in my life. The breakfast buffet alone surprised me with freshly squeezed orange juice, grapefruit juice and mixed fruit juice. The fresh bread was to die for. Free room service 24 hrs!
Only hiccup was the housekeeping. Even with the do not disturb light on outside the room, the staff always went inside. We happen to missed 150 dollars from our room, not sure from theft or just losing it. But they do have a free safe for you so just make sure to keep everything in there.

You can also call home from your room for free, this was greatly appreciated because the wireless service was horrible and using skype was impossible.

If you like sushi, you must eat at the Sushi restaurant, don't let Japanese Food in Mexico fool you!

Room Tip: "Garden view" still has view of ocean (every room has a view of ocean) The rooms with the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was our 1st trip anywhere, and this was a great resort!! We booked junior suite, king bed, ocean view, preferred club. Preferred club you pay extra for things such as food bar at all times at the preferred lobby always food and snacks.It's free wifi-free get this at check in. calling home to Canada/US for us was free maybe that's preferred so double check. we had mini hard liquor in the room plus snacks (chips, m&ms etc) and then the Jacuzzi on the balcony (very nice perk) we got tequila shot and beer upon arrival. Preferred is a plus and a very nice perk, but it's not necessary! Everyroom is oceanview, even if your in the main towers. So u don't need to upgrade if you don't want. All beds are comfortable, especially king if it's just two people like us. Garden views are a bit lower along with swim outs and everyone there said your swimout pool times are till 8pm so you can't swim at night, so request to go a couple floors up 3-5 floors up if you don't want swim outs that's what all the pools are for in my opinion but they swim outs did look nice id rather have higher up and big ocean to look at. Rooms were clean everyday around the same time, only had to call down once for toilet paper and new bath robes. Everyone says is hit and miss with room cleaning service, so if its not clean call down and they will come we had excellent cleaning services all week bar and snacks always stocked!! I honestly had no major complaints only minor. The resort was beautiful and looked exactly like the pictures online, everyone was extremely friendly, kind and welcoming and I picked up the spanish very quickly and it's fun to speak it! The pool staff, and entertainment staff are awesome (Hugo and Jan are great)! Pool side service varies between staff members and sometimes you might wait 5-10 minutes for a drink but just go swim up to the bar, just tip the hard working waiters a 5 at the start of the day and they will be good to you or go to swim up bar for fast easy service.What to eat: At lunch you can dine at castaways/oceanana or carnival wear a cover up sandals and guys shorts and t shirt only needed here, this is above the swim up bar on both now and secrets side, everyday was great loved trying new items such as the shrimp tacos and any fajita's were great! All meals are well portioned so we always shared an appy, 1 entree each and sometimes 2 deserts because they were only bite sized, this way you also try more!! The barefoot grill services poolside food, fries, chicken fingers and chips, pizza, etc (food was very meh and mainly a finger food with not much taste) Fresh pico de gallo and qaucamole with nacho chips or just nachos are the best while drinking around the pool. Italian (capers) the best seafood pasta(s), and desserts (pistachio creme brulee was amazing every time), oh and steaks too and the mixed fried appetizer at capers so good. Mexican restaurant very good and the tortilla soup is a must try so good! Himitsu was so yummy ate twice with booking the Teppanyaki table just call down at the front desk to book very easy to do.What to do: Kayak on the beach, very nice. Be careful of beach barders, I always made deals and ended up with some nice stuff the accessories are very expensive so go to the boardwalk to the flea market otherwise the stuff on the beach is pricy but nice silver...para sailing is not part of the resort its expensive and for small time limit at your own risk. Beach volleyball, poker and water games on the resort is always a laugh there is always games and activities water polo, water aerobics, ping pong and life size chess. Catch any shows on the resort, you will get daily newsletters for more info on the shows, restaurants, weather etc. Mexican theme night at the poolside was awesome, try all the foods!! French restaurant very yummy, this is on secrets side but you can go without children. You can do everything at secrets if you have no children. Pools are virtually the same but you actually get more sun on the now side anyways. What to drink: Bob Marleys, icebergs(beer, tequila and limeslush), leaping lizards, caesars, banana mudslide, coronas, and pacificos. ALL Deliciousioso!!. Breakfast omelets always great, put pico de gallo on top, so yummy. Minor: Avoid (if you want) Seafood night at Market Cafe, this is an outdoor buffet we had all cold to room temp food so we left and went to a different spot. What to bring: Bring 1 sweater only, I rarely used it at night ever and bring 1 for any boat rides. Bring pepto and gravol needed only for boat ride and upset stomach or heartburn during the week. Same with hair dryer, they provide one. Attention Men: bring collared shirts with long or short sleeves, even if you read different on the website or anywhere, just do it. We brought one, and had to go to 'Coppel' across the street its a store similar to the "Bay or Sears" to buy a few more collared shirts that were nice for dinner. Gift shops are expensive, but some items were nice and decently priced, check out boardwalk first. don't worry about shampoo, cond, razor, toothbrush, paste, etc they have all those little things in the room if you don't care to bring your own. ipod dock and security safe in the room, we used daily put your camera and phone in there, and important documents. Room service people are very respectful. Spa: walk outside of the resort, turn to the left and go to "Healing Hands". I had a 1 hour full body massage and body stretch two times from 'Victoria' (it was an amazing experience for males probably keep your boxers on as you do undress but are under a cloth sheet which is very nice, and they massage head to toe for a whole hour) for $25 dollar US. AMAZING experience!! Worth it, cause resort spa very very expensive. Now Amber was a beautiful stay. Make sure you book all your excursion when you arrive, not online book at resort with outdoor adventure its buy 2 get 1 excursion free or find your flight representative they will help you when you meet them. Las Caletas was our fav this was a daytrip (snorkel, big lunch, hold monkeys, parrots, nature walks, swimming, foot massages($15), kayaks, stand up paddling and more this is a great day trip with your spouse, family and friends take gravol on any boat ride order a sparkling water, lime and salt this helps with upset stomach and naseau) Las Caletas, Boardwalk, and Dolphin Adventure are all great trips!!-see my tripadvisor reviews. Now back to the resort... All pools close at 6pm, which we found odd because there was no transition bar (like an outdoor tiki bar) so once pools and swim up bar closed you go to your room for a shower, sleep and rest up and change before venturing out to lobby for drinks or dinner/entertainment which sometimes wasn't a bad thing cause we were always tired or passed out by 10 or 11pm after a long day of drinks, sun and poolside try the disco downstairs great modern american top 40 music and make song requests and get the rainbow flaming shot!! Its a great vibe invite everyone you know for drinks at the disco no need to travel into town. The gym was great too, only used it once. Everyone's reviews, experiences are different so make it the best you can, enjoy the little things, relax, try everything as much as you can, if u don't finish or like a drink just set it down, and if the food is not good leave go somewhere else with no stress..its what you paid for you will honestly enjoy all restaurants and beverages if you are not a picky person... this is a great resort and very new!.....ENJOY NOW AMBER cause it was an 9/10 for us!!!!

*Favorite staff: Alix, Audrianna, Violetta- preferred Concierge , All front desk staff, Raul, Omar- swimup bar, Abel-swimup, Alfredo-pool bar, Hugo, Jan- entertainment crew, Margarito-capers server. They are all special and very welcoming, helpful and kind! Age ranges at the resort vary between young families to retired old couples. This is not a "spring break" resort, its a higher end family, friend resort, people from all over Canada and US come to relax, have fun eat good food, good drinks and have a blast...When you arrive you will feel like a prince or princess, if you show up giving the same gratitude, kindness and appreciation in return your trip will be truly special :)

5  Thank Kelsey N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!