“Now Amber more a 4 star than a 5”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
vancouver
“Now Amber more a 4 star than a 5”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Now Amber from 21st - 28th of January. My wife, my 22 month old daughter and I selected to stay at this resort in Nov for our annual fun in the sun vacation. I read every review about this resort from Nov to a few days prior to boarding our flight to this destination. I always think people are way too harsh on their reviews because some have very high expectations. That said, my wife and I have gone to Mexico once a year and only choose to stay in what is labeled "5 star" in the past 9 years. This resort is honestly not a 5 star resort yet.
Issues:
1) We paid extra upgrade at time of booking to ensure we get our desire room. Frankly I shouldn't have paid an extra $69 per nigh for a jacuzzi room with king size bed and ocean view, when all the room in this resort had jacuzzi in it. When we arrived they gave us a "Garden View" with two double beds. I told them about my upgrade I paid and they told me that some how the "Junior Suite With Jacuzzi Special" is a code for garden view..... Ok. After 45 minutes of arguing they promised to get me a room with King size bed but no ocean view the next day. They promised our new room will be ready by 1 PM but the room wasn't ready till 5PM.
2) housekeeping was absolutely terrible. Our new room had no towels in it. One of the two toilet paper roles were empty. No water in our bar fridge. An empty tissue paper holder. Stains on the bed sheets and lots of small hairs left behind in the jacuzzi tub and around the toilet. This is after waiting 4 hours for them to "prep" our new room. Rubi was our housekeeper and in the 6 nights we stayed there only 2 times the room were cleaned when we came up from the pool in the afternoon. 3 times we called for house keeping because they hadn't even bothered by 4 PM. Folks don't jump to conclusion I always tip even if I asked them to come and do it. I must have left Rubi between $5-$8 per day everyday but money wasn't the motivation I guess. The turn down service was nice but only got it every other night.....!!!
3) So the food at this resort might be great if you can actually go to the restaurants. With a child you are very limited to the options and I honestly can't say anything bad about the Italian and Mexican restaurant we visited. The buffet at this resort is terrible. Although some might enjoy the buffet, we found that every item served was packed with a lot of salt. We had the breakfast buffet once and chose room service the rest of the week for breakfast. We tried the buffet twice for lunch mainly due to the lack of option during lunch. The hamburger and hotdog stand I could do without. On Saturday they surprised us with a mobile lunch selection pool side. That was great. It was first time in the last few years staying at all inclusive resort that we chose to go out for dinners. We did it twice this trip. The River Cafe and La Dolce Vita Pizzeria were excellent choices, both in and around the boardwalk. The Mexican theme night was good but the food was cold.

These are some of my personal issues during our stay. Everyone is different and experiences may vary. Enjoy your stay tip well and enjoy the sun. PS the resort looks great and very central both to the airport and the boardwalk. Try Healing Hands message it was worth every penny.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tequila_vollyball
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to see that you have taking the time to share with us your experience about your recent vacation with us. It truly sadness us to read your review and would want to explain in a more detailed way each of your kind comments.

Please accept our apologies for not fulfilling your expectations in regards to your suite, we have 3 different categories in our Main Tower and our lead category is the Junior Suite Garden view that are located within the 2nd and 3rd floor, the Junior Suite Ocean view which are from the 4th floor to the 15th floor and in the 1st floor we have the Junior Suite Swim Out. However, if you are booked in a Garden view and if there is availability our Front Desk Clerk will offer you an upgrade if you want a full view of the ocean since the first ones have a garden view and only a partial view of the ocean. We are sorry to hear that your suite was not ready at the time our Reception mentioned you, please note that we will work this situation with our Rooms Division Manager to avoid this type of inconvenience to future guests as the service of you housekeeping that you received during your stay.

As an All Inclusive Luxury Resort we offer a wide variety of restaurants for our guests to choose from during Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. For instance, we have a total of 4 different restaurants for families and 3 of these are a la carte for dinners. Be sure that your comments about our Buffet will informed to our Food & Beverage Manager and take the proper corrections if needed since our main goal is to have satisfied guests at all times.

We hope that you can overcome this experience and visit us once again in the near future. We thank you once again for your review which helps us to improve our services and to achieve the full satisfaction.

Mauricio Martinez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Korean first
Welland, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Where to start! This place is amazing. From the food to the views to the service. There are so many options for restaurants and no reservations required is a great addition to the trip! Don't have to worry about scheduled dinner times etc. Phone calls from your room to the USA and Canada are free! Wifi everywhere. The hotel was super clean always staff cleaning the grounds around the pool daily! Our room was very spacious and amazing layout very modern.

Restaurants:
Our favourite was The bordeaux on the Secrets side (staying at the Now or Secrets you can go to either resort for dinner they are attached!). Himitsu was great as well best tempura ice cream so delish! Being a picky italian in terms of pasta our least favourite was the italian but others liked it very much so its all your liking, but there is always somewhere good to eat. They even have a cafe where you can get specialty coffees, carrot cake, small desserts so good. A tip is to hit up the Dreams resort one night ($14 us to get there) you won't regret it, eat at the seaside grill the view from there is simply amazing! The food was great as well and the a la carte was included because it's part of the chain!

Downtown
$6 us cab ride to the malecon boardwalk! There are flea markets where you can purchase souvenirs etc. Milano's is a great jewellery store if you are looking to purchase higher end jewellery at a great deal! Remember to make deals nothing they offer is set in stone!

The hotel itself is very modern, clean and an amazing view of puerto vallarta. The Now side has a better view then Secrets in my opinion. Staff is super nice as well! Jose at the disco is awesome. Remember to tip! They don't make alot of money so every bit helps and they are so deserving! The hotel is a ten minute cab ride from the airport and is a gated hotel so not crowded with time share ppl! The airport is crazy with time share ppl just walk straight until you see your travel rep sign i.e. Air Canada, West Jet whoever you travelled with or if you are just grabbing a cab go outside and get one. There's a desk set up that says vacations when you get off the plan they are time share reps.

Room Tip: request a higher level room to get a great view! We were on the 11th floor it was amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LoveToTravelCG82
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Was at this resort as part of a convention and only for 2 days so could not experience and comment on all amenities. Anyway, this resort (Now resort is for families) and its shared "Secrets" (adult only) resort is impressive. Very open and airy use of space, beautiful views overlooking ocean, multiple pools (though none of the type with slides that my kids would enjoy).
Definitely a place that I feel comfortable inviting my wife to for a get away week end.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank PhilippeBougard
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I just got back from 4-nights at the Now Amber in Puerto Vallarta, and it was the best vacation that we have ever had! It was also our honeymoon, so we may have been a bit biased. Also, I work in the hospitality industry at a Four Diamond resort, so I have high expectations when it comes to hotels and resorts.

BOOKING AND CHECK-IN
We booked the stay through bookit.com and it included airfare. Having never been to Puerto Vallarta, I spent a lot of time comparing reviews on the different travel sites as well as on TripAdvisor. (I actually made a spreadsheet and compared ratings, price, restaurants, number of pools, and the proximity to the airport and town). I was really nervous about booking a resort that looked good in the pictures, but wasn't as nice when you got there. Needless to say, that was not the case at this resort. As we drove from the airport, I recognized the names of some of the different resorts we had considered. Some looked okay and some were downright scary! Imagine my relief when we pulled up to the GATED Now Amber and Secrets resort. Before they let our cab in, they confirmed that we were guests which made me feel very safe. It was also, in my opinion, the most beautiful building on the block. We drove up a long, steep drive-way and were greeted by the bellman and two glasses of champagne.

Check-in was a breeze...especially with the champagne! When we first arrived, there were three people at the front desk. I waited less than a minute before they were able to assist me. They were quick and efficient, and sat us down with a hotel rep to tell us about the resort...and schedule an appointment to hear about their vacation package.

VACATION CLUB PRESENTATION
I was a little nervous about this, as I had read reviews from other resorts where they can be really pushy we. Well, that was not the case. She told us about it and offered us an incentive to go to the 90-minute presentation, which included breakfast. My husband and I had discussed this prior to arriving, and had already decided that we wanted to see what they had to offer. Although we did not purchase anything (we are saving for a house), we were very impressed with the presentation and it is something that we will consider for the future. For meeting with them, we got a romantic beachside dinner.

OUR ROOM - Ocean View Suite on the 9th Floor
Our room was phenomenal, with a beautiful patio overlooking the resort and the ocean. Since it was our honeymoon, they had decorated the room with rose petals and a complimentary bottle of champagne. We decided to save that bottle until later, and within 25 minutes, we were down at the pool with a drink in our hand.

We tried to sleep with the door open at night, so we could hear the waves. It was great when we first went to sleep and in the morning, but between about midnight and 2am, people start coming back from downtown and it is very loud. But only with the door open...once we closed it, we couldn't hear anything.

RESORT OVERALL
The resort is actually two different resorts - Now Amber (which we stayed in) and Secrets Vallarta. They are mirror images of each other, with only the color scheme and restaurant themes being different. And Secrets is adult-only. We spent every day at the adults-only pool, and had a great time. We will definitely stay at a resort from this group again, but if we have the option - we will book the adults-only. There just seemed to be more people in line with what we wanted to do - some activities, but primarily sitting around the pool or beach with a drink in out hand.

The resort has a lot of places to just relax. The lobby bars are these beautiful open spaces that look over the resort and beach with small seating areas. We often stopped by here on our way to dinner to watch the sunset or just enjoy the breeze.

RESTAURANTS
As for the restaurants, we dined at the buffet for breakfast. There were lots of options. My only complaint is that I am not a buffet person and would have enjoyed a more traditional sit-down restaurant for breakfast. However...all the other restaurants were so good, that this really didn't matter because I tried to only eat cereal and yogurt for breakfast (in an attempt to make up for everything else we were eating and drinking there!)

We ate at the Mexican restaurant, which we really enjoyed. They had a live mariachi band playing, which was nice. We ordered a few different things to share, including a Poblano Soup that was probably my favorite thing there!

We also ate at the Italian restaurant, which was pretty good. I was a little disappointed in the decor - it was too modern for me. But the food was good and the service was fast.

We also had dessert at the French restaurant. Actually, three. One of the benefits of an all-inclusive resort (too me) is that I get to try things that I might not at a traditional restaurant - like three desserts. It was something different and unique that we don't do in "real life".

We didn't get to try the Japanese restaurant, as that was the night husband wasn't feeling well. Everyone that we met said it was great. I do recommend advanced reservations, especially if you want to sit at the grill...they fill up fast!

We ate lunch every day at the poolside restaurant. The Fajitas were my favorite...more like a taco than the tacos were. My husband loved the tuna, and ordered it twice! You also get chips, salsa and guacamole which are delicious.

ACTIVITIES
The week leading up to our vacation was hectic to say the least! So, going into our honeymoon, we didn't want to have an itinerary...we just wanted to take it day by day. This goes against everything in my nature, but honestly, I was so tired from the wedding planning and dealing with family, that I didn't have the energy to do much else. And honestly, it worked out perfectly! We took a cab to downtown and did some shopping on our second day there, where we met a guy named George who helped us set up a private fishing charter. We spent our third day there cruising up and down the coast just south of PV fishing and stopping at the beaches. It was so relaxing, and we got to see some of the smaller towns.

The resort itself has tours that you can book, but from what we saw, the prices were higher than what you can get from any of the other tour companies. When we go back, we want to try the ATV tours, and maybe the Rythym of the Nights tour (we met some people who did that and said it was a lot of fun.

One thing that I really liked that they did was the resort schedule - every night they dropped off a new schedule for the next day, kind of like what you get on a cruise ship. It talks about the drink of the day, spa special and what activities are planned. There is ALWAYS something to do...beachside yoga every morning at 9am, volleyball games, spanish lessons, tequila tastings, dance lessons...honestly, something for everyone!

We did try out the Healing Hands massage place at the bottom of the hill by the resort. All the reviews have been right...it was amazing! $25 for a 60-minute massage. My husband and I had a couples massage, and we felt so great afterwards. The only thing that was weird was the massage oil they used. The massage oil was strawberry, and the aromatherapy was pineapple. I actually held my breath instead of breathing in when she asked, but other than that....it was wonderful! I wish we had gone earlier in our trip instead of our last day. If I had, I think we would have been there every morning!

MINOR COMPLAINTS
Although this was the best vacation that we ever had, there were a few minor hiccups. And when I say minor, I really mean that. I would return to this resort in a heart beat, and can't wait to try the other resorts (33 in all) that this company owns.

1. Taxi Cabs. Apparently, there is some rule that you have to use licensed cabs. It makes sense, but at the same time, we had arranged a tour through someone outside of the resort. They came to pick us up, but we couldn't go with them - we had to take one of the resort cabs. When we got to our destination, the resort cab tried to charge us $140USD. It was a total rip-off. Thankfully, our tour guide knew we were being taken advantage of and called him out on it, and we only had to pay $40. When we told the story to another couple at the resort, they said that they always ask the resort bellman how much the cab ride should be, and then confirm the price before they get in the car.

2. Housekeeping. They did a great job, but they never came before 4pm. Honestly, it didn't really matter to us as we spent most of our time down by the pool. But again...a little off.

3. Elevators. The resort staff uses the main elevators, and they are small. The elevator sign says that it can fit 14 people, but I don't see how that is possible. There were a few times where the service cart was in the elevator and we had to take a different one. Again, not a huge deal, but it seemed off to me considering how nice the rest of the resort was.

4. Room Service. We ordered room service on three occasions - all three times, the food was good and it was delivered warm (which is not always the case with room service). On our last night there, my dear husband was not feeling well. (Too many coronas and being in the sun all day...). We decided to stay in and I ordered room service (3rd time). They said it would be about 40 minutes, but it was almost an hour and a half before they delivered the food.

Here are a few more details on my ratings below:
Service - The staff was fantastic, especially at the front desk and Jose at the pool. That being said, we did have a long wait for room service one night.

Sleep Quality - The bed was comfortable. We tried to sleep with the door open one night, but the noise from the beach as people came back from the bars was too much. But once you close the door, you can't hear it. Also, we had a small child in the room next to us that really liked to bang on the wall.

Spa - We didn't go to the spa, so I can't comment on this.

Breakfast - My only complaint is that I wish there were more breakfast options. I may have just missed it, but I think the only breakfast options were the buffet and room service. I would have liked a more traditional restaurant-style breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 6th floor or higher. It looked like the lower rooms might have had a bit of an obs...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lizliemandt
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Now Amber January 7-14 for a friends wedding at the resort and couldn't have been more happy with resort.

We arrived at the resort and we're greeted with champagne and a fresh cold towel. We checked in a were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to an ocean view room.

The rooms are spacious and clean. Great bathroom. Only issue was water leaking out of the bottom of the shower. We put the rubber mat from inside the shower against the inside of the door.

Pool area was really nice. Lots of activities to keep you busy.

Food was hit and miss I found, but I'm a picky eater so take it for what its worth.

My wife was really happy with the spa and we found the gym to be great. We even got a tennis lesson with the pro there. My backhand is a lot better now.

Waiters were efficient and attentive in getting our drinks. Now I think that this would have to be because it seemed the resort was half empty. There was no problem getting a chair by the pool. In fact a lot of the chairs were unused throughout the day.

I took advantage of the free golf offered by the resort. You have to pay for the cart ($45). The Weiskopf Course at Villa Vallarta is average. Would not be worth the $200 they charge for the round if I were to pay. The Marina Vallarta is a nice course by the airport, you just have to play around the crocodiles. I would have played it again.

All in all my wife and I are looking to forward to our next visit to Puerto Vallarta and the Now Amber.

Room Tip: Go in the first week of January. All the kids are back in school so there are less people at the re...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank chrismakris
Orinda, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The 2 of us went in mid August (low season). Probably only 20% occupied but they rotated the open times of the 7 restaurants so we could always find a choice we liked. I recommend going for the upgrades. We were in the preferred wing with a real pool off our deck (not a 'spa') on the ground floor. Very courteous staff and clean grounds. Every afternoon at 2 they cook a special snack - always interesting and tasty. All inclusive including drinks (the preferred wing has its own bar!) $220 per day for both of us. Don't try to walk to town, its farther than it looks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gail B
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Few months ago we were at the Dream Villamagna and had the opportunity to try the "Sip, Savour and See" program which allows you to visit a property within the AM Resort families. This is an awesome way to see the different properties available. So, we took the 30$ cab ride from Nuevo Vallarta in May 2012 to visit the brand new Now Amber resort. Katherine (one of the concierge ladies) helped out out and went above and beyond what we expected. The property had only been open for 4 weeks. She showed us the Secrets and Now Amber side and explained how the property works. As part of the Sip Savour and See, we went to eat at the Bordeau french restaurant which was very good. The service at the time was very slow though.....but it was all new.

We fell in love with the place and decided to go there with our family, including kids and grand parents. We decided to go for the Preferred club. I know many says its not worth it but for me, it was money well spent. We also did the Preferred at the Dreams. The price difference is less than 100$ and you get free Wi-Fi, upgraded amenities, Preferred bar which has upgraded alcohol (Grey Goose, Crown etc), nice spread of appetizers served throughout the day, very quick check-in, and a Jacuzzi on the balcony which is awesome for the kids.

We booked a Garden view but they upgraded us to a Ocean view.....but honestly, you spend so little time in the rooms and all the rooms have the ocean view, not sure I would pay for that upgrade. The restaurants have been so far all very good including the buffet. I am not a buffet kinda person because I hate the way people handle the food and it always looks like a tornado went through the place. This was the best i have seen with very manicured place, the food always looked like you were the first one taking your portions. The Italian place was very good. We ordered every single desert because we did not know which one to pick, they were more than happy to bring them all.

The beach is nice. I always expect to get gravel on this side of the ocean but the hotel staff does a great job ad cleaning the beach area. Although there are many people trying to sell you things, you can easily turn them around by politely saying no. If you get tired of it, just drop back towards the property and they cannot access you there. Tours like Los Veranos were about 75$ at the property. This zip line tour was 30$ on the beach but I never gave it a try. You never know what you get on the beach. You may end up paying 30$ for a nice promise.

The hotel does have a spa....but why pay nearly 150$ for a massage when you have plenty of place available just outside the property (literally about 1-2 minute outside the gate. I went for a 1 hr massage and it was awesome. I believe I will get my 1 hr daily massage till I leave. The same massage at home would cost me 3 times the price. The service was very professional and sure felt good. The cost was about 25$ for 1 hr.

I did see some previous comments about how kids took all the seats at the pool bar and how crazy busy it was......but if you come during xmas holidays....you should expect that. I have been here for few days and there only very few kids, the service is outstanding and the place is always clean.

The staff here is great. For instance, my one girl always has a request for something the restaurant does not have....sometimes its chocolate ice cream, sometimes a strawberry smoothie. I always tell them to forget her request because its not on the menu. They actually will go to a different restaurant on the property, find the item and showing up to our table with it. I did not expect nor request them to get it but they just do. This is what i like about this place.

My only drawback to the property is maybe the kids club. Their schedule is very rigid especially when we saw maybe 6 kids in there. For instance, our kids were the only two in there and wanted to do the trampoline and bungee. This was not allowed because their schedule said it was spanish lessons. I will mention this to the staff and hope they can change.

Lastly, i would much rather be in Puerto Vallarta than Nuevo. I know this is a personal choice though. I like the idea that I can walk outside the property and within few minutes be in the downtown core of PV. We loved the Dreams in Nuevo but will not return there because its so far from everything. You want a massage....you are kinda stuck there, you want to shop....you are kinda stuck there....you want to visit the old town.....you get it.

Anyhow, all this to say that I will for sure return to this property and can't wait to spend two weeks here again...hopefully without kids :)

Room Tip: I would spend the extra 80$ for Preferred Club. Worth it for me. Rooms are slightly bigger, faster...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank hom409
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,140 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,369 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!