“Review for Families with Young Kids”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #16 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Review for Families with Young Kids”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've not seen lots of reviews on here from families, travelling with young kids and so here's my opinion. My kids (ages 3 and 7) loved the resort. They were sad to leave and can't wait to go back again. All the staff were so friendly toward them, it made them feel really special. They both really loved the waterslide, it was their favorite place to hang out, however, the water is freezing in the kid's pools. They are not heated and are in a very shaded area so they never warm up...I would suggest that the resort look at heating these pools. I've seen other people on here comment on kids being in all the pools. The main pool with the swim up bar is the warmest pool so that's why families use it. They went to the explorer's club a couple of times and really enjoyed themselves there, although I think they could improve on the daily activities. There were only a couple of things that really interested my kids on the schedule. I would also suggest that the daily activites around the pool be updated to include more options for families with younger kids. The only thing that we could participate in with our kids was fruit carving. We had a couple of cool days and there wasn't anything really to do. We tried going to the Core zone to play pool or air hockey but we weren't allowed in, which I would totally understand if teens were there using it, but I don't even think there was a teen a the resort and definitely none in the room when we got there. The parents aren't allowed in the explorer's club either so that also was not an option. It would also be nice if there was a kid friendly show or two earlier in the evening. Our 3 year old could never stay awake for the 9:00pm shows and when he did, he didn't find them that interesting (aside from the circus show). One more disappointing thing for me was that I'd looked forward to the beach BBQ and there wasn't one. I think there should be one of those at least once a week, so that all travellers get to experience it. Overall, I think the resort could improve on helping families to enjoy their vacation together since it is promoted as a family resort but like I said at first, our kids did really enjoy themselves and so did we. We would definitely recommend it, with a couple of small tweeks to improve on for families who want to have fun doing things together.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view, don't pay for the upgrade...ask for a free one when you get there.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank YouMe&Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,071)
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

If you have kids, that's the place. If you don't, you won't like this and should consider going elsewhere.

We were on the prefered side and like all other comments we enjoyed the upgraded mini-bar, lobby's food, exceptional service from Begnino, wifi, and the jaccuzzi.

However, during our stay, the Himitsu restaurant decided to try to open for kids.... HORROR!!!! And I don't know why but during our stay, many parents decided to take vacation from their kids too. Kids (3, 4, 5 years old) running and screaming everywhere, bumping waiters with fulled plates. We saw terrible things! Even the staff looked pissed off with those spoiled kids. We loved the fact that some restaurants were only for adults... Well........ And I'm not talking about the crying babies.

And the dress code which is something we appreciate and were looking for: No dress code at all! People were wearing flipflops and tanktops in restaurants where you shouldn't...

Ok, the place is beautiful, service is extraordinary. After this experience we will go for adults only resorts.

• Stayed December 2012
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta Management and Staff, we appreciate that you have taking your time to write us a review about your recent experience in our Resort. Please allow us to tell you more about our beautiful property, we are a Family Resort and have areas for children such as the Explorer’s Club, Core Zone and the Children’s Pool. Our Restaurants such as Carnival, Capers, Tamarindo and Castaways are kids friendly. As you have stated during some holiday’s season we open Himitsu for the children too in order to offer a better service to all our Families Guests that we had during those busier dates.

As all our Brands of AMResorts we implement the dress code for all the restaurants located on each property. It truly concerns me your review about the dress codes and be sure that we will try our best to enforce them in all restaurants without restrictions.

One again, thank you for sharing us your comments and very important feedback about your recent stay with us. We take seriously every review that we received from our guests, we hope that you can gives the opportunity to serve you once again in our property!

Mauricio Martinez
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Being greeted at the main entrance with a glass of champagne gave us the ipression that we were being treated like royalty and it continued for the week.
The view was spectacluar from the open air lobby while being escorted to the Preferred Club where we were checked in quickly and taken to our room. The luggage was delivered within 10 minutes.
The room was immaculate and was made up quickly each day when the do not disturb light was turned off.
The Preferred Club provides a hot breakfast, ceral, coffee, fresh juice each morning and fresh sandwiches throughout the day so no need to walk the extra few steps to a restaurant. It also had an exclusive premier brand bar for those booked there. The extra cost was minimal and certainly worth it.
The staff was very well spoken and could not seem to do enough for you. Special shout out to Miguel (server on the beach), Adriana (concierige in the PC) and especially Nayale (day hostess at Carnival Restuarant) Carnival is buffet but the best one I have ever eaten at!
All food was fresh, service quick and efficient. I can not say enough good things about the restaurants - we enjoyed them all!
One word can say it all - awesome!
Would we go back - absolutely!

Room Tip: 4th floor in the Preferred Club has the natural rock facing which is quit wide but good for those wh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BJA9
Toronto
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The food at Now Amber is excellent - on a par with Dreams PV (the former Camino Real). The resort is close to town (a $4 cab ride or fifty cents by bus), but fully contained with many available restaurants and activities throughout the day. Clients can use all the restaurants at Secrets (the mirror resort for adults only) after six o'clock. The best of these is Bordeaux, the French restaurant. The resort is virtually brand new so everything is in splendid condition. Only drawback - the beach is rocky.

Room Tip: Rooms in the preferred section are slightly nicer, and perhaps worth another $100 a week or so. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelguy040
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the NOW Amber from November 17th to the 24th. We very much enjoyed our stay.

Room: We were lucky enough to get the oceanfront swim out suite in the preferred tower. This room is amazing with your own private pool. The entire week there we never used the main pool. The waiter would come right to our terrace and bring our drinks. We had sunshine all day and could move one of the four deck chairs to a shady area on the terrace if you wanted to get out of the sun. There was also a table with seating for 4 on the terrace. This room is large. I think the bathroom was the size of some of the rooms we have had at other resorts complete with walk in closet and spa like shower. I would stay in this room over and over.

Food: The one nice thing is no reservations required, but we found they seemed to alternate which ala carte restaurants were open. We have travelled to numerous all inclusive resorts and found the buffet here to be sub par at best. Because my husband and I do not eat seafood, there was one night that we could not find a meal at the buffet and they don't do breakfast as well as most resorts. One day the women making the omelets did not seem to want to be there. My husband ended up with a omelet with a uncooked complete yoke in it. The italian and mexican restaurants were good as was the service. We never did try the japanese restaurant. There is a snack bar by the main pool that we did grab a hamburger at a couple of times. Room service is included and we used it for breakfast the last day there. The food was alright and came quickly, but was exactly what we ordered.

The lobby lounge has a beautiful view, but could really use some evening entertainment of some kind. We never went to the disco (a little to old for that I think)

Staff: Most staff at the resort are great and go well beyond in there service. We were looking for somewhere to watch CFL football and the gentleman at the desk in the preferred tower made a point to find us a place we could go and watch. He even called to make sure they were showing the game we wanted. Benny in the preferred club lounge was amazing and always made me the perfect not too sweet pina colada. He always had a smile and worked very hard. Please be polite to the staff and tip what you would at home. The lounge staff was also very good and always had a smile for you.

Cleanliness: This hotel is kept very very clean. When we arrived we found items in our room from the previous guest, so it made you wonder how well the room was cleaned between guests. The maid that did our room missed it one day, we phoned down and she was there right away. She always did a very good job. The mini bar fridge is stocked by someone else and was restocked everyday complete with chips and M&M's.

We don't have children, but it looked like the kids really enjoyed the kids club there.

Pool: As I said earlier we never used the main pool, but it seemed that you could always get a seat there if you wanted one.

Room Tip: I would stayed in the preferred tower. It is well worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LovesMexico41
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Having been to Cancun a few times, we wanted to try something different in Mexico. We have stayed at 2 Secrets resorts, so we stuck with the same brand and hoped it would be comparable. It was! Overall, we were very pleased with the resort - service was excellent, room was well-appointed, lobby and other public spaces were very well designed.

Room - this was the 1st hotel room in Mexico where the A/C actually worked!! We were thrilled to find a ceiling fan as well as an adjustable thermostat that kept the room downright chilly! The bed was very comfortable. I like mine soft, hubbie likes his firm - and we were both pleased. The maid came as expected, and the mini-bar guy kept ours full. I wish there was a drain across the shower door area, but that was my only issue.
Pools- The one closest to the beach is heated! It made the whole experience that much better. Last year, in Cancun, the Silversands' pools were not heated, and we couldn't get in the pool the whole week because it was too cold. So, we could not have been happier about the heated pool even though it got crowded at times. The other pools were nice, too.
Service-From the front desk to the restaurants, the service was excellent. We were always greeted with a smile wherever we went, and they bent over backwards to please us. The Carnival hostess remembered where i liked to sit every morning for breakfast, and the pool waiters remembered what I like to drink and would refresh in a regular manner. We could tell Ramondo (hope I got his name right) at Capers really wanted us to enjoy our meal; Fernando by the pool was very gracious; and Armando at VIP services was lovely and very helpful. I can't remember all of their names, but truly, I can't say enough about the service.
Restaurants-So, some of the food is interesting by American standards, but we always found something to eat. The breakfast buffet was great - a wide variety for both Europeans and Americans. Lunch was a bit of a challenge - some of the food at the Barefoot Grill was not great, so the alternative is Castaways and the buffet, both of which require you to be in something better than a bathing suit. But, the pool waiters will bring food from Castaways right to your chair, and the chef usually does a chef special poolside every day from 2-4. Lots of places to go for dinner, some better than others. Generally, any of the steak dishes were good at all of the restaurants. We were perplexed (amused!) by some of the food descriptions on the menu, and I really wanted to offer my services to the resort in providing the English versions of the menu items. Sometimes they seemed to try to make the items really fancy when a simpler description would work.
Entertainment- we didn't participate in much of that, but there were lots of things to keep people busy. We did appreciate that they set up a blow-up screen and projector and showed American football games down by the pool in the evenings. They even provided chilled beer and soft drinks in a cooler, and had a waiter come around to get drink orders so we could enjoy the game without having to fetch our own drinks. The main lobby was fairly busy in the evenings and was a good place to watch the sunset and listen to live music (harp or saxophone, etc.). The nightclub had a great moroccan theme decoration and played good dance music if you are inclined.

As a couple with no kids, we probably would have enjoyed staying on the Secrets side, but we really enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the Now Amber side, too. If you are planning to bring kids, they will LOVE this resort.

If you aren't interested in a time-share type of presentation, you might want to skip the Unlimited Vacations presentation. Although it's not a true time-share deal, it's very similar. They said it was a "loyalty club" but... think time-share w/o the maintenance fees. I'd like to have my 2.5 hours back that morning, but it is probably a good value if you have several thousand dollars lying around.

Can't say enough about how hard everyone worked to make sure we had a good time. Puerto Vallarta felt very safe. There was a notable police presence in town, and the hotel had some good safety measures in place. I'd definitely recommend this to my friends - esp. those with kids who want to go to Mexico.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be Ocean View. Upper floors would allow for better viewing, so you might want to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank R J K
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here from Dec 15-22 /2012.
We have 2 kids, ages 5 and 7 and we had a great stay. We upgraded to the preferred suites. I highly recommend you do so. The food in the tower lobby is yummy and always available. The staff are so helpful, and you get free wifi in your room. Not to mention the jacuzzi on the balcony is awesome! If we go back we would try to get a swim up room for sure.
The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are clean. The tv's are excellent, the bathroom is huge and the shower is luxurious. The mini bar selection is all premium alcohol and they stock it often. The kids pool and explorers club are top notch. Complete with a climbing wall, harnessed trampoline, and playground etc. so awesome! The pool side service was superb--if you have a chance to ask for Miguel. He works his tail off. We tipped $20 a day and he brought us special made drinks for the kids served in guavas, chips and guacamole, and great adult drinks too! The desk staff are polite, helpful, and efficient. The food: buffet is not excellent but is ok. The restaurants are way better, specifically the tepanyaki. The beachside buffets were better than the standard buffet. Also there is NO nightlife. 9am and there is no entertainment, it all shuts down. We would probably go back as the resort is clean, and small and service is great, but the price would have to be reasonable. If you want a day away....visit the zoo! Really cool experience!

Room Tip: G with the preferred suites....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Tatum P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#15 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#17 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!