“great stay right in town”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
“great stay right in town”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed over new years and the resort is simply well put together. the design team went all out to plan a perfect blend of form and function. the rooms are great and comfortable and views for all. The lobby area was so well designed you just feel comfortable spending alot of time there .
The food at all the resturants was great as was the service.
Thankyou to the entire team at Now Amber and my hat off to the design team for a well planned design. ( I have 30 years of construction experience dealing with designers) so I appreciate all the forethought in Now/Secrets.
The only negitive I can offer is if you like the beach for water activities it is not as nice as say Nuevo beaches but the life of the beach is great. the beach itself is rocky and a strong wave zone. For us it was a minor flaw in a otherwise perfect location and resort.
The resort is 6 dollar cab ride to all the shopping areas or 20 minute walk.
great job Now Secrets you don't need to tweek much of anything.

Room Tip: all rooms have views but the level one has pools for level one users only. thats added cost but we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank paulbo44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
Ofallon
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed over New Years and overall had a blast and would go back to now amber/secrets. We chose to stay at now amber having stayed at now jade in riviera maya last New Years and had a great experience. If u haven't done an all inclusive over New Years, I highly recommend it...it's a great way to end the year and start a new one.

The good:
The resort in general is immaculate....the views from the lobby are beautiful. The rooms are great, we stayed in a junior suite on he 4th floor. Every room has an ocean view, so we really didn't see a reason to upgrade. Would have been cool to have a swim up suite....but how would u get drinks? And you probably wouldn't meet as many people.

We liked Bordeaux. Ate there for New Years and another night. Pretty sure it's adults only....so there's no kids running around. The service was great too, multiple people waiting on you made it a great experience.

The hibachi at himitsu was our favorite, I could eat there every day. You have to make reservations the day of (I think) with the concierge. Just like the states they have a salad, miso soup, they give u an option of a sushi roll, then the fried rice, veggies, and choice of meats. The room is sealed off from the a la carte seating (which is nice) and is very Cool. You don't need reservations for the a la carte menu at himitsu, we tried this once and it was so-so.

There's always activities going on. We played volleyball a couple times, ping pong, attended a show in the ballroom. It rained a couple days and they brought out board games, delt black jack, had poker tournaments, etc. the activity directors would always ask u to play volleyball and tell u what shows were on that night. They're easily identifiable in their uniforms.

We also liked the location.....15 minutes from the airport, 5 minute cab to the boardwalk, 5 minute cab to the marina. The cabs were only $5 each way. You can also walk to the boardwalk if your the exercise type, 15 minutes or so from the resort.

The desires bar was cool too....it said it was open from 10pm-1am everyday....but we went there around 9pm a couple times. Bartenders (tony and Abel) were great. It's more or less a club with alot of space, although It was never crowded. Good place for a nightcap.

The lobby bar on the secrets side is also a good place to chill.....good selection of booze. Grey goose, stoli, jack Daniels, absolute, etc.

We heard good things about tamarindo but never went due to our short stay (5 nights). I'd do 7 nights if I went back. There's too much to do between the beach, pools, excursions, proximity to the boardwalk(downtown)....you can't see it all in 5 nights.

I liked coco cafe too.....I'm a Starbucks guy and drink a cup of coffee everyday. It's nice to run down there and grab a cup of coffee to start your day. Didn't try any of the food/desserts, but looked decent.

Ate at oceana for lunch twice, pretty good.....I'd recommend lunch there over the buffet.

Free wifi and free long distance was nice....although we were connecting to secrets and staying at now, connectivity was slow unless sitting by the window or on the balcony.

The bad:

Capers was awful....I had a "new York strip"....they have better cuts of meat at Walmart. Heard this from other travelers too.

I thought the buffets sucked....they have two. One on the now side and one on the secrets side. We went to the secrets side to avoid the foreign kids with horrible manners. The buffet at now jade was decent and we had no issues, but now ambers was/is terrible. It always took me 10 minutes or so to fill my plate because all the food looked gross. Who wants tacos or refried beans for breakfast?? They didn't have a lot of options either. The only thing that was good was the omelette station. I stayed 5 days, had 5 omelettes.

Ordered room service twice, didn't care for the pizza.....it was soggy and gross looking. Didn't even touch it.

Maid service....ours seemed to come everyday at 4pm, which is weird. Why not come at 10-12 when 99% of people are at the beach or pool? my fiancé was getting ready to go out for the night and the cleaning lady was in our room one day....she wasn't happy. The minibar in the room wasn't stocked by the maid, but instead by a lady with a cart around 5pm. Would've liked for it to be stocked when we weren't in the room, rather than a knock on the door at 5. Pretty sure she didn't come by a couple days too.

Service in general was hit or miss....either really really good or really bad. Being an American, it seemed like the Mexican travelers received better treatment. I stood in front of the concierge for a couple minutes while the lady running the concierge was chatting with a friend. It seemed like she wasn't even going to acknowledge me until I asked her a question. I asked her to make a reservation at himitsu for hibachi and she said it was full.....without checking her computer. I was bummed because that was the only night we could eat there due to our schedule. I went back to the concierge an hour later and asked the same question to a different employee an was able to reserve two spots (thanks eloy) that night.

I hate to sound picky, but I'm pretty easy going.

Kids, kids, kids.....my god they're everywhere. We stayed on the now side and spent the entire trip on the secrets side, including the adult pool. We were never asked once if we were staying at secrets, nor did I care if someone were to have asked me. Our first glimpse of the now pool, all of the swim up bar stools were occupied by kids!! Not teens or young adults, but kids. We went straight to the secrets pool and continued to do so the entire trip. They either need to make one pools on the now side adults only or allow adults to the secrets pool, enough said. I'm not sure why they even have secrets and now combined. Make it one or the other with preferred towers, seriously it's dumb.

The vendors were pretty annoying on the beach....they're not pushy, just all over.

Didn't get in he ocean, due to the rocky beach....but didn't care.

Overall, good stay.....id return. i like puerto vallarta alot better than riviera maya....better scenery (mountains) and closer to everything. rhythm of the nights was awesome, best part of the trip. We did the 5:30 departure, which I'd recommend. We got some great pictures on the way to las caletas, while it was still light out.

Hope this helps.....again stunning resort, just a couple hickups.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade
8 Thank Andy D
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in this resort between Dec 8-15 2012. Everything went fine during check in. Rooms were great (comfortable bed, jacuzzi, nice toiletries). Mini bar was filled up every day, but room cleaning/service was not very constant - some days we just had our room cleaned up by the evening.
Food was good and we really liked the French (on secrets side), Asian and Mexican restaurant. Portions are not big but they were more than enough for me(read about some complaining about the portions size). If you need a LOT of food, just go to the buffets. Drink service at the buffets was kind of too slow at some times. The espresso and sandwiches at the coffee shop were very good as well.

If you want a chair by the pools during daytime, be sure to arrive early, because the places by the pools are kind of limited.

Internet connection is terribly slow (at least the free one in our room), have in mind if that matters to you.

Location wise, it is a 20min walk to the Malecon (but cheap taxi if you dont want to walk) and there is a supermarked 2 blocks away - and 20 min from the airport - that's it.

If you're considering attending their vacation club presentation, be aware that it will take twice as much as they advise (took 3h instead of 90min) and they will present you something that requires payment on the neighborhood of $20,000, and the only certain thing you get is 2 1-week stay on their resorts, and if you negotiate a bit they will present another option of around $9,000 with the same 2 weeks, but with some limitations . Doesn't look attractive unless you take a lot of vacation time per year in those kind of resorts. Just wrote that so that you can decide if it is worth your time attending, or if at least compensates what they are offering as compensation for attending the presentation.

Bottom line: we enjoyed our vacation there. I'd recommend this place and when I'm back to Puerto Vallarta (which may take a long time as there are several other places to know) we will surely consider this hotel again.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. Maybe the swim out and 2-4th floor suites won't have a nice view. P...
3 Thank rafaelrms
North Van
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed from Dec 23rd to Jan 2nd and loved our vacation. Free internet, no wristbands, free phone calls to US or Canada, no towel cards or deposits are all very nice perks. It’s a beautiful new resort with a very posh but relaxed atmosphere. The staff is friendly and gives you a sincere hospitable welcome feeling.

Room was beautiful, we were on 11th floor. We enjoyed a great ocean view and a nice little balcony to sit outside and relax. Nice big flat screen TV with lots of English stations. Free phone calls to US and Canada is a very nice perk, free local calls too. Bed was comfortable. They stocked the mini bar with the things we liked. When hotel was full it sometimes was a bit of a wait for elevators, but not too bad.

Lobby of hotel is wonderful; my wife called it the mediation lobby. It’s on the 3rd floor with a great overview of the grounds and ocean view. Nice comfortable chairs and couches. Christmas day my daughter and I were feeling lazy and spent most of the afternoon just reading and sipping drinks, awesome place to relax and watch the boats cruise by.

Pools are nice, one is heated and that’s where everyone uses most of the time. Can get a bit crowded in the pools, and there was often too many kids in the hot tub. No one seems to care if you’re an adult and go over to use the pools/hot tub at Secrets next door. I went over there one day and it was nice and quiet on the Secrets side.

Food – Overall food quality was excellent.

Buffet at Carnival was always good. They have several stations were they cook things fresh right in front of you, omelets at breakfast, fresh fish and seafood, various meats and pasta at lunch/dinner. Dessert selection was a bit small but quality was good. Loved sitting on the outside deck, especially at breakfast.

Mexican restaurant was great, we went twice. The steak they do there was very nice. Mariachi bands come to play at 730pm onwards, really fun. Italian restaurant very good, nice multi course meal, we went three times. Asian or French restaurants are adult only, we had our 11 year girl with us so didn’t go. Parents may want to keep in mind this limitation.

Had lunch at Castaways by the pool, it’s nice that they have sit down service at lunch too, unlike some all inclusives that only have buffets open for lunch.

Went to one buffet on the beach, food was OK but chairs sinking in sand and music too loud for us.

They have a great coffee shop on third floor off the lobby servicing sandwiches and dessert, also free internet. Nice for snacks and to check your email.

Food service was great all the time, well trained experienced staff and good English skills for the most part.

Only negative for food was the snack bar by the pool, had a hamburger with raw meat in middle so just threw it away, happened again later in week so I didn’t eat there again.

Bar service is good, they do nice mixed drinks. Premium brands were available.

Housekeeping is a weak point for the hotel. We could not get our room cleaned last couple of days despite phoning and requesting a couple of time. We stayed 10 days and I had tipped the maid several times the first week, so I doubt she wanted to neglect us, I assume she was just too busy. One night we needed a blanket replaced, it took 5 calls to housekeeping and the front desk to finally get it. Kept a sense of humor and didn’t let it get me mad.

Hotel seemed quiet and relaxed until a few days before New Years when things got very busy. Large Mexican family groups dominated the hotel, wealthy folks from the cities, with lots of kids and nannies. The pools and lobby were always full of loud excited kids, was told to expect this at New Years and Easter. I like kids, we were traveling with our girl, but it definitely changed the feeling of the hotel.

I took a tour of the hotel spa and it’s beautiful, but way too expensive, I think it was $129 for a 50 minute massage. Leave the hotel and within 5 minutes walk there are about 10 independent massage parlors offering 60 minutes for $25. It super competitive, some places are offering 75 minutes for $25. We tried 4 different places (I had 9 massages over the week) and the one closest to the hotel was probably the best, just turn left as you leave hotel gate and its right there. The next place a few meters farther down the road is good too.

Hotel location is good, $5 cab ride to the downtown Meracon (boardwalk) and $5 to the Marina area. Neighborhood around the hotel is a bit scruffy, doesn’t feel dangerous but just not very nice. For example there are two strip clubs within a 5 minute walk. North of the hotel are 3 derelict resorts that closed for financial problems, this is probably why the area looks a bit rough. South along the beach is a nice walk, lots of other resorts. There are two bank ATMs with a few minutes’ walk of the hotel and a Megastore close by ( like a Mexican Walmart). Its a $5 cab ride to a nice Mall called Galleria, my wife and daughter seemed to enjoy.

Beach is a bit rocky once you get in water, and tends to be rough and wavy. but they have an area roped off. I like that they provide lifejackets for the kids to wear when they go in the ocean.

Always seemed to be able to find a chair at the pool or beach without too much trouble.

On Sunday nights they put the NFL games on a big screen projector beside the pool, great place to watch the game! They also had a bar called Desires playing the games in the afternoons.

We had a great time and would probably return again to Now Amber. It was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and we really liked it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Mark B
Smithers, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

AMAZING!!! Nothing but VIP treatment our entire stay! No need for restaurant reservations, no towel cards, no worries! Everything was so great; the room, the service, the food, the beach, the pool. Only one small complaint, watered down drinks.

Room Tip: preferred club is more than worth it! But ALL rooms in this hotel have an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank mafonna
Manitoba
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Now Amber from December 8th to December 15th, 2012. We flew WestJet Vacations out of Winnipeg.

Overall we had a very good vacation at this beautiful resort.

Arrival in Puerto Vallarta
This was our first vacation to Puerto Vallarta and while we anticipated the timeshare gauntlet at the airport it was an effort to navigate. As advised by so many travellers to Puerto Vallarta we kept moving and made it to our WestJet rep. Shortly after we found our rep we were escorted to a large van/small bus and headed off to our resort. We arrived at the resort to a cool drink and a cool damp cloth – just heavenly.

Check in
The front desk attendant was really good and told us everything we needed to know even if we didn't really register everything we were told. She also gave us a visitor map of Puerto Vallarta that turned out to be really handy. She then handed us off to a VIP services rep to give us our coupons - we said we were good that we wouldn't be using them but we were told we had to get them.

The VIP services rep sat us down to give us the coupons (discounts for the spa, dinner on the beach and bottles of wine). She then proceeded to ask us to pick a time for a presentation for the Unlimited Vacations Club – where we could have spa credits or tour credits or the romantic dinner on the beach). We declined and she continued forward as if she didn’t hear us. The VIP services rep worked on us for about half an hour to get us to agree. We were tired and just wanted to go to our room. After being promised it was a 90minute presentation and we'd get $260 spa credits; we reluctantly agreed.

The room numbers are actually embedded in the floor outside the room. It took us a minute to figure it out!

The bellman that brought our luggage up gave us an excellent tour of the room and showed us where everything was located. And I do mean everything – the hair dryer, room service menu, how the doors were wired to the air conditioning – everything. Instead of do not disturb signs, there is actually a button in the room that you push that displays outside the room.

Rooms
We found the room to be both beautiful and functional. Now Amber was built to allow every room a view of the ocean –even the lower level garden view rooms. We were on the 15th floor and the view from our balcony was absolutely majestic. We watched the dolphins play (shortly after sunrise and before sunset) pretty much everyday. On the entrance side to our room was an incredible view of the city of Puerto Vallarta. The bed and pillows were really comfortable. I love the turn down service and room freshening in the evening – it really makes you feel pampered. I’m sure you’ve seen the photos of the sliding doors for the bathing area; this is a really nice feature. You can open it up so you feel like you have more room and close it off when you want privacy or at night. The mini fridge is stocked daily with beer, juice and pop.

Elevators
We were heading up to our room one night from the 3rd floor (main lobby type area) and the elevator started to make a grinding noise. We were discussing calling the front desk when we got off the elevator to advise them of the odd noise when the display flashed out of order and then the elevator stopped and dropped a floor. It was very scary. We hit the emergency button and told the person on the other end where we were and what had happened. A few minutes later the elevator started going back down and opened on 3. Some people had called the elevator (by pushing the button) but the Now Amber staff hadn’t arrived. People wanted to use the elevator and I wasn't letting anyone on. My spouse went and got help. When the Now Amber staff arrived with my spouse, they asked us to come back on - no way. We watched the display and sure enough they got the out of order and then it was stuck on 14 for a few minutes and it dropped back down to 3.

It was out of order for a few days. We checked in with the concierge to see if he'd tell us what had happened but to no avail. Later in the week the same thing happened on the Secrets side. We advised our WestJet rep as well, as being stuck in an elevator that then drops is not something we want to see become a common occurrence.

Sundial
Every day you get the Sundial to let you know what is happening the following day. This also includes birthdays, anniversaries, etc. If you want your special occasion marked on the Sundial you need to talk to the Concierge and arrange it – it isn’t automatic.

Carnival (buffet)
The main buffet had really good variety and excellent service. The one downside was when they had special nights on the beach, the food was frequently cold and it was really difficult to see what was in the containers. They use a lot of lights, but the shadows make it difficult to see in. On these evenings, even if you were late, the wait staff was super quick to get you cutlery and something to drink – couldn’t ask for better service.

Castaways Restaurant (Casual seafood)
This became our favourite lunch spot. We highly recommend the fish or shrimp tacos.

Capers Restaurant (Italian)
We had dinner here one evening and it was quite pleasant.

Himitsu Restaurant (Asian)
We reserved a spot at the Teppinyaki table. The show was good and so was the food they prepared. This was on the only thing at the resort for which you had to make a reservation.

Tamarindo Restauant (Mexican)
We went to dinner here once and we would have returned if we were staying longer.

Market Cafe Restaurant (Mediterranean – on Secrets side)
We went here on our last evening. A table of about 20 came in at the same time so we were a little concerned that we might be forgotten but the service was excellent. I recommend the prawns – just divine.

A side note on the a la carts, the long pants and shirts with collars for men is hit and miss for enforcement. The service was excellent and the servers were very helpful if you have food allergies. We did not go to the Bordeaux restaurant or the Barefoot Grill.

Room Service
One word - awesome! It was quick, hot and delicious. We ate out on our balcony.

Pools
There’s the kids pool, the main activity pool and the infinity (swim up bar) pool. All were really nice and well used. They placed a rolled up towel on each chair so you don’t have to cart one around with you or track one down.

The free wi-fi actually worked best down by the pools!

Beach
There is a roped off area for swimming on both the Now Amber side and at Secrets. Note, there are lots of rocks getting into the water. The beach area was very nicely maintained and kept free of seaweed and other debris. There are a lot of vendors on the beach which is great if you want to buy something and annoying if you just want to relax.

Spa
There is a locker area for you to store your things and you make up your own code. You get a bathrobe, slippers and a towel. The locker room had razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste and some lotion in them. It was very nice.

We used our spa credits to get a couples Swedish massage. The massage came with hydrotherapy that we enjoyed for about an hour before our massages. The hydrotherapy was fun (although I would not pay for it). There are jets throughout the main pool, some are arced, some are high pressure and some are like a waterfall. There are 4 beds that you lay on that have jets down the center. Those were weird and really hard to stay lying on. There are a few areas to stand with jets below your toes and some where you get it all around you. There is a whirlpool area and a cool down pool. The cool down pool is beyond cold but we did it anyway. There is also a sauna and a steam room. The attendant was very attentive; she made sure we had water and anything else we might like.

After our hour of hydrotherapy we went for our massage. The two ladies we had were both very nice and gave a good massage. The massage room was also roomy, there was some nice background music and the lights were dimmed. Overall it was very relaxing.

Paying for your massage is a little weird (in our case we paid the remainder after the $260 credit). The brochure is in American dollars but they don’t accept American dollars. They will accept pesos or a credit card.

Amenities nearby
We went for two massages each at a place called RCS (about a block north of the resort) at $25 for 75 minutes. We each had one excellent massage and one okay massage.

There are plenty of ATM machines (about 5 within 3 blocks). Please note that the new Canadian chip cards use different technology then the new Mexican chip cards and it can be difficult/impossible to find an ATM that will work for you. You may want to consider bringing cash to exchange or American.

There are plenty of small shops and the Malecon is about 5-10 minutes by taxi. I don’t recommend walking to the Malecon. Take a cab and then explore.

Unlimited Vacations (I’ll try and keep it short)
We show up for our 8:30am appointment the morning after we checked-in. Things immediately changed. First our VIP services rep from the previous day said that if we chose to leave before the 90 minutes was up we wouldn’t get our spa credit. And then she told us we couldn’t have anything booked for 4 hours after the 90 minute presentation. We balked and said we were told it was 90 minutes, why did we now need 5½ hours. A second rep came to join in and we were given a story about it was just based on level of interest. They didn’t want us to not finish paperwork if our level of interest was high. After a lot of explaining they said that it wasn’t 5 ½ hours it was just a 4 hour free period but the presentation was only 90 minutes. We said we wanted to go to our Westjet welcome presentation that was scheduled for 11:30. They said it’s only a 90 minute presentation so that would be fine. We were sceptical but being good little Canadians who had agreed in writing the previous day to this presentation, we went forward.

A new rep – the salesman joined us. He gave us a brief tour and then we went to the Unlimited Vacations office area where there was more paperwork. The paperwork was just the same thing over and over. How long are you staying, have you stayed at one of our resorts before, did you like it, where all have you travelled, etc. We then proceeded to breakfast with the rep. After breakfast we went back to the Unlimited Vacations office area for the continuation of the spiel to buy in. The Pearl package (the cheapest) is $19,900 to join and this is the 10 year package they wanted us to sign up for. The Pearl doesn’t include major holidays (ie Christmas, New Years, Good Friday or Easter) or Zoetry. There is a $120 maintenance fee each year and $20 processing fee for each reservation you make. The most expensive is the Diamond and it was $69,900 – can’t recall life length on that one.

The whole point is “it’s like Costco”, you pay less than retail when you want to go on vacation. There were a lot of first time incentives, big coupons for 7 nights stay. You book directly through the Unlimited Vacations Club and then arrange your own flight and transfer from the hotel to the resort. As a member of the Unlimited Vacations Club, you get room upgrades as well.

Throughout the conversation, the rep continually said if we wanted to keep paying retail that was fine with the AMresorts chain. He was talking about how beautiful the resorts are and how everybody likes them and that when they do get a negative review on trip advisor that it’s really the fault of the person and not the resort. I’m paraphrasing but he talked about how if you slip, it’s your fault; Mexico is a no fault country and if you don’t like anything at the resorts then that’s your problem. This was about the time we started to see the shift from pleasant to hostile and where we really felt the conversation sour. He then asked us to buy in. We said no to the Unlimited Vacations Club Pearl and then we had to justify our no repeatedly. At one point I had said that we didn’t think it was appropriate for us to join and he shoved the pad of paper at us and said something along the lines of write down three types of people you do think it would be better for. So I did. This seemed to aggravate him even further. He did some very creative math that we redid to show that it really doesn’t work out very well.

He also asked us to write down how much we would be willing to pay for the privilege of being an Unlimited Club Member. We refused to write down a number and explained that we don’t make huge financial commitments without thought, research and analysis. He then seemed to give up.

He handed us off to someone else for an exit interview. This gentleman also did his best to convince us we were stupid to say no. We were finally allowed to leave at noon (that’s right 3½ hours after our initial start time and we did get the $260 spa credits).

I tell you this to prepare you for whatever decision you choose to make. Upon discussions with others at the resort we learned a few things I want to pass on. The longer you hold out on saying yes to the presentation the more they will give you – ie spa credits or excursion/tour credits. The so called 90 minutes doesn’t start until after the breakfast and they will do everything they can to keep you in the room to get you to say yes. If you are interested in becoming a member I think you could probably ask for additional incentives and a lower price.

Later that day the VIP manager came and found us in the lobby. The VIP services rep and the second person we dealt with that morning had advised him that we were unhappy about the 5½ hours and hadn’t wanted to follow through with the presentation. We explained that it wasn’t a 90 minute presentation and it actually took a little over 3½ hours and we would have appreciated an accurate time estimate so that we could make an informed decision. He advised that 90minutes is what the Unlimited Vacations Club had instructed them to say. He mentioned doing something for us and then took his leave. We certainly appreciated that he found us and wanted to clarify what our concern was. As a side note, there was no further discussion nor was “anything” done for us.

Overall
We certainly enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere, the availability of activities, the quality of food and drinks. We really enjoy the AMResorts chain. We appreciate not wearing a bracelet, access to towels without the cards and we really like not having to make reservations for the a la cartes. We really like to move around and explore different areas so we probably won’t be back to the Now Amber but we certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the ocean view.
17 Thank winterbad_beachgood
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was the first trip to Mexico for me and my husband, we stayed at the resort from December 15th to December 22nd, we were so excited to stay at a 5 star resort. What a beautiful resort, and wonderful staff. A few hiccups that were taken care of quickly.
When we arrived we were not welcomed with a drink or towel, that seems to be a hit or miss. We were upgraded from a Garden View to an Ocean View, but all the rooms have great views, there is no bad view in this resort. We were given the keys to our room 2167 in the regular tower, when we opened the door the room smelled really musty, as I looked around I found mold on the roof. I called the front desk and Carlos (wonderful guy), came up to our room and showed us the room next door. We moved our stuff to the next room 2166. Once he left and I opened the curtain I noticed the room was dirty, it looked like someone spilt a drink all over the inside of the door, the floor was stick, the bathtub had hair in it and the bathroom counter was dirty, after seeing all of this I pulled back the sheets on the bed and the sheets were stained with yellow spots, looked liked bleached blood. I was upset about this and went down to the front desk to complain, they promised to send someone up to clean the room. It took 4 hours. That all being said we were not going to let this ruin our trip. We went to the beach for Mexican Night, and I swear I have never had such good food and service in my life. It was Fantastic. When we got back to our room it was spotless and looked like a 5 start resort.
The food is probably the best food I have had in my life, it did not matter where we ate, the food and service was EXCELLENT (remember to tip the staff). I honestly did not have a bad meal in this place. I recommend eating at all the Ala Carte restaurants, its' hard since they have such wonderful dinners and events on the beach at night, but even the buffet food is GREAT. The best beef (I am not a beef eater), Lamb and Duck I have ever had. Be prepared to be impressed.
The staff is FANTASTIC, friendly, funny, and great service (again remember to tip). Alex by the pool knew us by name, how great is that. The drinks are great, but ask for doubles as they can be shy with the alcohol unless you ask.
We were not bothered at all by the time shares at the hotel (different story in town) and the vendors on the beach (there were not alot of them) would ask once and move on.
Once we got our room settled all was great.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a beautiful location, great food, and great service.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms Ask for doubles as they are not generous with the alcohol Eat as much as yo...
7 Thank sldennis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!