“Perfect Vacation”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Now Amber last night and we're still in Mexico mode! We had an excellent experience and recommend this resort to every type of vacationer. We literally saw everything from young families with babies, toddlers and teenagers, older (senior) couples, newlywed/young couples and large groups. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and the resort accomodates each group very well.

Most of our trip was just before the Christmas rush so the pool area wasn't so busy that you had to get up super early to reserve a good spot. Once the rush started coming in, if you wanted a good spot right in front of the main pool we would usually get up around 8:30-9ish and save spots before heading to breakfast.

The service was impeccable all around. The guys around the pool were FANTASTIC...we had Gustavo, Christian, Omar and Mauricio most of the time and these guys will make your vacation so much more enjoyable. Lorenzo at the Manatee bar makes a very good Caesar!

The food at the Barefoot Grill by the kids' pool area is mediocre at best but it's not surprising as it's your typical summer foods like hotdogs, hamburgers, fries and pizza that's usually not the freshest. But if you ask the chef's there nicely they will make you a fresh pizza. If you don't want to eat there or go to the buffet for lunch I would recommend going to Castaways...they have a decent selection of food which is made fresh to order. Everyday by the pools between 2-4 they have a Chef's special and cook up a mass meal...try not to miss out on them because they are excellent. Each day they make something different and we enjoyed fajitas, sushi, stirfry, seafood and more. It was all very good! We went to all the a la carte restaurants (including the two restaurants on the Secrets side) and thought every meal we had was exceptional. Definitely don't miss out on the Mexican restaurant Tamarindo, not only is the food great but the atmosphere is wonderful as well. Also, Himitsu is very good; we did the teppanyaki there twice. You don't have to make reservations at any restaurant except if you want to do the teppanyaki, but we had no problems getting in either time. Other than breakfast we never went to the buffet so I'm not sure what it was like.

The beach is well groomed but know that it is public property so there are usually a few peddlers trying to sell their goods. We didn't spend a lot of time on the beach though so were never bothered by them as they are not allowed on the resort grounds. One morning when the ocean was quite calm there was a small pod of dolphins swimming out front of the resort. We grabbed a kayak from the beach and went out and the dolphins swam all around us and put on a nice little show for us...it was amazing!!

The rooms are very nice and beds are actually comfortable!! The maids also do a very good job cleaning up and give turn down service every night. We were on the 11th floor and had a spectacular view of the resort and bay. My boyfriend got to take a tour of their biggest suite and said it was amazing. We could have upgraded but it was an extra $500USD per night! We could have also upgraded to a swim out room for an extra $70USD per night but we typically don't spend a lot of time in our room and like to be within the action at the main pool so stayed where we were. The patio doors open very wide so we could really enjoy the ocean breeze and view from our room, and we were happy with that.

The event staff are very friendly and do a good job getting people involved in the games and activities and if you didn't want to participate they would generally leave you alone. Jan was my favorite. He was very fun and helpful and always had such nice things to say. Alex was awesome as well and lead a bunch of people to the beach one evening to release baby sea turtles into the ocean. I don't think they do that very often so we were quite lucky to be able to experience it.

The hotel offers great spa services and always have specials on, but I still found them a bit expensive. If you go off the resort, across the street and to the right is a little massage place and you can get a fantastic 75-minute, full body massage for $25USD! It was the best massage ever and sooo cheap. I tipped about $10 just because the girl I had was really good. Also, the resort is about a 5 minute walk from a Mega store so if you need something like sunscreen or any other essentials I would recommend going to the Mega store instead of buying off the resort as it's quite a bit cheaper.

The only negative thing I would say is that if you are getting married here be aware that the "aisle" you walk down is in the main pool area where everyone is drinking and shouting and I didn't think it was very romantic. The set up on the beach for the reception was very nicely done but I just didn't like how the whole ceremony is just steps away from the rowdy pool!

Other than that, this place is excellent and I recommend it to everyone! My family is planning a vacation next year and they're all on board to stay at the Now Amber!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank dlynnk00
Write a ReviewReviews (3,090)

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Dec 6 to Dec 10, 2012 We took our son,daughter her husband and our grand daughters 1 1/2 yrs old and 3 1/2 years old this resort for their Christmas present. We travel to different parts of Mexico about two times a year and have for the last 12 years. This was one of the most luxurious resorts we have ever stayed at. The rooms were awesome and the bed was very comfortable. Loved having the jetted tub in the bathroom also. Enjoyed the food at the buffet. We also ate at the Mexican restaurant one night and the food was absolutely delicious. The resort is kept very very clean and the beach is also very pretty. One thing that was kind of annoying was that we would put the do not disturb light on because we don't feel that our room needs to be cleaned every day. But after leaving in the morning and coming back in the afternoon our room had been cleaned anyway. One night we were even in bed early because we were tired and the housekeeping lady came and knocked on the door just to leave us the itinerary for the next day's activities. The service at this hotel was excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anybody who's looking for a luxury hotel to stay at. We will definitely return to this resort in our future travels.

Room Tip: All of the rooms at this hotel were perfect they are all ocean view. Our son had a room at the very...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Iguanalover1128
Reviewed December 18, 2012

November 24th to December 8th, 2012 buiBeautiful hotel. The lobby is stunning....nice place to watch the sunsets. The rooms are the nicest we have stayed at yet. Very comfortable beds. There are a few things I loved about this hotel. 1) No wrist bands required which is really nice. If you go shopping the vendors don't know where you are staying. If you were wearing the wrist band they would know you are staying at a 5 star resort and probably not come down in price. 2) No limit for fine dining and no reservations required. This to me is a real holiday. I always hated lining up to book our reservations for dinner and having to be somewhere at a certain time. I am on holidays and don't want to care what time it is. Go to dinner when you are hungry not when scheduled. 3) No towel cards. Having to go get your towel for the day and returning it for your card again and doing this each day is a pain. Half the time they are not at the booth when you want a towel or want to return the towel. The Now Amber has a towel placed on each lounge chair everyday. This is an awesome touch and very much appreciated. I have to say that the staff here are all fantastic. They work so hard to make your stay a happy experience. They put on two shows down at the beach each week. (Tuesdays and Fridays) This takes them all day to set up because they have mats placed down on the sand so you don't have to walk on the sand and have the whole tables set up with a full bar on the beach to see the show. WOW! This is a lot of work to do this for us....the guests. Also very much appreciated. The food is really good. Buffet is awesome.....a huge variety of thing to choose from. I would like to take this time to thank a few employees for their great service. Veronica...our maid. Isaias and Carlos from the buffet (the brother look alikes) Bernice who always had a smile on her face. Carlos (who used to work on the cruise ships) He is an awesome waiter as well. Jaun....the Now Amber pool bartender. He makes the best drinks....thank-you. One more thing. This hotel is also great for parents. I don't have kids but the parents I met said they couldn't get their kids out of the kids programs. This makes the kids and the parents have a great vacations. The kids are having fun and the parents get a break and are able to have a bit of fun as well. They give the parents a paging device so when the kids want them they will page them which gives the parents a piece of mind. Great idea!! I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I personally loved the tower and the ocean view. The preferred section building is not as tall so th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank KarrieC279
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Just returned from an excellent stay at the newly opened NOW Amber resort in Puerto Vallarta. If you have read my other reviews you will know that I have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and Mexico staying at many different world class resorts at every stop. Unfortunately, this means that each new hotel/resort that we travel to has to live up to an ever-increasing standard that we have become accustomed to. NOW Amber was no exception, coming off of an excellent stay at the Azul Fives in the Mayan Riviera of Mexico.

Where does the Amber stand up with the rest of our travels? Looking back, it definitely was one of the best resorts that we have ever stayed at!

When we were looking to book this year for our annual vacation down south we came upon the newly opened Amber and it's unbelievable deals that they were offering. We were lucky enough to scoop up one of the resort's "Preferred Club, Master Suites (Oceanfront)". As you can imagine, it didn't disappoint. In fact, everyone agreed that this was without a doubt the best accommodation that we have ever stayed in on a Mexican/Caribbean vacation.

The suite was massive - 2 rooms and a bathroom (which by itself was just shy of being the size of a standard guest room in the hotel!) When you scan your proximity card to enter the room you are greeted to open blinds looking out onto your full length deck that has unobstructed views of the ocean which goes out to infinity. Once you get over the amazing views the suite provides a sitting room with a couch (with a pull-out mattress), dining area, TV, and plenty of space to spread out. This is separated by two sets of sliding doors that lead to the massive bathroom and bedroom with it's own balcony access looking out on to the water. The bathroom, again, is massive with a glassed-in shower with not one but TWO shower heads, a full tub, two sinks, separate toilet area, and a full walk-in closet complete with a safe. It's hard to describe everything about the room without referencing the photos that have been provided on TripAdvisor. Bottom line, the suite was phenomenal; one of the best we've ever stayed in!

The only problem with the suite was the sleep quality. I don't know what it is but none of the resorts that we have ever stayed at in Caribbean/Mexico have figured out that the beds are too damn hard! The main King sized bed was like sleeping on a slab on concrete. No matter what you did, you would always wake up in the morning with a very sore back/neck. Thankfully, we had some sort of a mattress pad already on the bed when we arrived (I would hate to see what it would have been like without it...) By the end of the week I ended up taking the decorative pillows and slept on top of them in order to give some sort of cushioning. Just when you thought the sleeping troubles couldn't get worse.. they did. The pull out couch had a mattress that was so thin that you could feel each individual spring and framebar. We had an agreement in place that we would split the stay 50/50 with everyone having to switch beds halfway through the week. I started on the pullout couch and woke up in pain everyday only to move to the cement slab for the rest of the week. At a resort of this caliber, it was really disappointing to have this quality of sleep.

Sleep quality aside, the rest of the resort is excellent! When we arrived there was no way that the hotel was anywhere near capacity. As the week passed the resort was getting noticeably fuller. We were able to get our beach chairs everyday as we made our way down by 9:00am. The resort really began to fill up after the noon hour. Never did the resort feel overcrowded as there was plenty of space to spread out and plenty of staff to help you with whatever you needed. There are 3 pools on the Amber side of the resort: a kids pool, an activity pool, and the main infinity pool which has the swim-up bar. While I didn't spend any time in the pools they looked very clean and welcoming.

Food selection at the resort was "good", keeping in mind that this is coming from my opinion. I am definitely a picky eater and had a bit of a difficult time with the meals going through the week. The breakfast buffet everyday was the same, didn't change during our stay (which definitely wasn't a problem!) Lots of different foods available for breakfast: some from the warm displays and other stations where they would make you fresh cooked to order food. I ran into trouble with lunch. I subscribe that any food that is purchased abroad should be completely cooked (when ordering chicken or meat it should be "well done" with NO red or pink). At first, I didn't think they understood what "well done" meant but after not eating my 2 different main courses 2 times the waiter told us that the meat cooks up to a light pink colour (that's just how Mexican meat works, apparently). Needless to say, I would keep trying to order the food and hope that it would come well done which it never did. People I was traveling with did not have any problem with the food, but were also cautious if the food didn't look completely cooked.

Dinner was the most enjoyable meal, by far. There were numerous restaurants to choose from: Mexican, Seafood, French (located at Secrets), Oriental, Italian, Buffet, and sometimes a beach buffet (when the hotel was nearing capacity - the restaurants wouldn't be able to handle the traffic if the beach buffet didn't happen!) We ate at the Mexican, Italian, and Buffet. While we wanted to try the French and Oriental the menus were just too oddball to even attempt (for our tastes). That said, the Mexican and Italian (which we ate at 3 times each) were both so good that our group couldn't in the end choose which one was better. Personally, I thought the Italian was best with their great service and excellent food. Highly recommended!

Transat Holidays (our tour operator) had to outsource our air travel to CanJet as Air Transat's aircraft are getting refurbished/refreshed for further service. Without a doubt I can confirm that CanJet provided the worst air service we have ever experienced. From the terrible flight times (arriving at 9:00pm, leaving at 7:00pm) we showed up very late on our first night and had to go stay clean and fresh the entire day when we were set to go home. Both flights were very delayed (about 2 hours each way) and provided dog food for meals on both legs. I tell you this to hopefully start and end your vacation off right by taking Air Canada or one of the US carriers to get to PVR. The other reason is because the hotel was kind enough to extend our check-out from 12:00 to 4:00PM (4 hours extra!) at no extra cost so that we could leave clean and fresh for the 5 hour flight home. There wasn't any hesitation when we asked they accommodated our request. It was much appreciated and made the journey home that little bit easier.

At check-out the agent behind the Preferred Club desk went through the standard questions of "how did you enjoy your stay" and "would you return". We can genuinely say that we will be back. Everything was excellent!

I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone who is traveling to the Mexico. I would definitely suggest the upgrade to the Preferred Club (great location, great views, and a private little buffet thing in the PC building lobby). If you can go for the Master Suite, definitely do it! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: High floors give excellent, unobstructed views. If you can splurge and get a Master Suite, do it! Y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank QC514

Travel plan – Air Transat
Location – NOW Amber in Puerto Vallarta
Date November 10 – 17, 2012
Overall rating 4 ½ **** out of 5.

The flight

Air Transat was excellent. The inflight service personnel were very good – helpful, polite, efficient. They have upgraded the planes and the staff since I was last on a trip with them many years ago. They claim to be the ‘best leisure travel airline’ and I believe them. There is a screen in the seatback with a good selection of TV shows, movies, and audio. The meal was included and appreciated. Airplane food will never be fabulous, but it was good. The morning meal was served with champagne and the afternoon flight with wine.

The airport at Puerto Vallarta takes forever to get through – easily 1.5 hours or more. So, be patient, you are now on Mexican time.

The Hotel

The pictures you see on the NOW website are true. Every one of them. Not touched up to look better than it really is, or on a day when the paint was just applied fresh. Everything looks just like the website. Right from the rooms, to the pools, to the beach, the common areas, and restaurants. The pictures are true. And ---- no wrist bands !!! yeah.

On the way to the hotel you will come through town in an area that doesn’t look so nice…. But then you see it …… it is like approaching an oasis. When we got off the bus we were greeted by several friendly staff, a cool towel to refresh ourselves and a cold glass of champagne. The luggage was marked for delivery to our rooms and we were directed inside the lobby. The lobby is enormous with a large lobby bar and a majestic view of the property and the ocean. The lobby is on the 3rd floor of the hotel’s main building. A truly gorgeous view !!!

The check-in

We were in booked in the “Preferred Tower”, so upon arrival, we were escorted from the lobby area in the main building to the concierge area in the Preferred building. It was very nice to by-pass the check in process in the main building and instead, be taken to a separate area, offered a drink of our choice at the small private bar, and do the check in there. We were a group of 10, so that was especially nice. We were hot and tired from travel …. So nice.

The rooms

We were on the 8th floor. Absolutely gorgeous room. Gloria was our housekeeper and she did a great job every day.

The bathroom is amazing. The floor plan is open, but you can slide wooden slider doors to close in the whole bathroom area if you wish. The vanity has 2 sinks – soooo nice. The walk in shower was huge, with a nice adjustable shower head. We had good water pressure and always as much hot water as we needed. There is also a large Jacuzzi bath tub. The bathroom includes two scrumptious bathrobes for your use. The shampoo, bath gel, and lotion were all very nice and in good size containers. They even had a container of SPF 15 lotion to take down to the pool.

There are several electric outlets and a nice two-sided mirror with 10x on one side. The lighting over the Jacuzzi tub is adjustable with a dimmer switch. The downside – there isn’t a good spot in the room with appropriate lighting for the ladies to do their makeup.

The air-conditioning was very comfortable so we never needed to adjust it. The closets were roomy with several nice hangers, shelves and drawers. The room includes an ironing board and iron. The safe was large and easy to use.

The TV is very good quality, but there is little to watch. Satellite TV – but mostly in Spanish. We only speak English….so, that would be one thing we would like to see improved. A greater selection of English channels.

The bed was comfortable. It was a roomy kings size bed, with some kind of topping above the mattress, below the sheet that made the bed especially comfy. The pillows were huge, and perfectly comfortable. The duvet was just right for the temperature.

The mini bar was stocked daily with water, juice, pop and beer. The snack shelf had 3 airplane size bottles of liquor, Pringles, M&Ms and a coffee pot.

The patio windows were great - going from one side of the room to the other. Instead of one sliding window from side to side, they both slide to the sides from the middle so the opening is extra wide. There are also sliding screens on the windows so you can leave the windows open any time you want to and not worry about bugs…. Not that we saw any. We left the windows open on a couple of nights and listened to the ocean hitting the shore all night --- so wonderful. There is also a Jacuzzi tub on the patio if you want to use it, but it seems to me you would have to wear your bathing suit ….. all rooms face the middle, and most patios have glass fronts.

We had friends on the 5th floor – do not go there !!!!! Because of the hotel structure design on the outside of the hotel, the 5th floor rooms have a rock face on the patios instead of the glass the other rooms have. This means you cannot see anything from inside your room and very little from your balcony, unless you are quite tall. Our friends were moved.

The Pools and pool service

Nothing but the best. There are shallow pools for children and families, and one adult pool. The pools are not deep – the deepest only up to 4’7”, and oddly shaped, so laps are not an option, but the pools are clean, warm, and the pool side service is great. We especially like Miguel. He is the best !!! There were lots of chairs and small tables. We never felt the need to rush down at 7 am to get good chairs near the pool. The towels are distributed throughout the pool area for you to help yourself, which is nice – no towel cards. Take as many as you need, but they do ask for consideration for the environment.

There is a grill near the pool, so if you are hungry, you can grab a bite. The selection though is weak….. every day the same …. hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza and taco chips. There is also a small menu of snack foods and sandwiches you can order from the pool side servers. Chips and guacamole…. Always a nice snack.

The Beach

The beach is nice, but not as nice as you find on the east side. The sand is very fine, and gets very hot in the sun. The shore is a mix of sand and small pebbles – I recommend water-shoes for going in the water. The water was warm, but not clear. There are lots of lounge chairs and bar service at the beach too. The beach vendors are plentiful, but kept at a distance from you, unless you invite them to join you. There are always about 15 vendors roaming back and forth trying to catch your attention. They work all day, and we were told for only about $4 day, plus a small commission. So, feel free to grind on the price – they expect you to. But keep in mind the small amount they are paid for a long day in the sun. We found most of them very pleasant to deal with.

The Buffet

We only attended the buffet for breakfast. It was the same every day, but with so many choices, that was fine. There was an omelette station where you could pick the ingredients, and they would turn that into your omelette or you could just ask for a couple of fried eggs, and they would do that for you too. There was bacon and sausages, French toast and pancakes, oatmeal, cold cereal, and various Mexican breakfast selections. There was deli meats, cheese, various fruits, yogurts, pastries, fruit juices, and a choice of fancy breakfast beverages – champagne and orange juice, or bloody Mary. Even the coffee is good – hard to find a good cup of coffee in an all-inclusive in my experience. I can’t think of anything more you could want in a buffet breakfast.

The Restaurants

Bordeaux – French restaurant
Great food and great service.
Thank you to Filipe, Moises, and Fredy. So excellent. The steaks were fantastic.

The Japanese grill
Very entertaining and excellent food.

The Seafood Restaurant - Capers
If you can get a spot upstairs you will be able to dine with a view of the property and the ocean.

The Italian excellent food and service

The Mexican excellent food and service.

A few small complaints
- Too loud too late at night. As the resort building make a horse shoe shape all of the noise bounces and can be very loud. There was a wedding while we were there and a large corporate conference. I think the loud music should be shut down by 11:00 pm (not 1 am.)

- Restaurant reservations are not permitted – but in large groups recommended. Well that created some frustration and inconsistencies – we were a group of 10 adults. At times we were able to get a reservation, at times not, and at others we thought we had a reservation and arrived to be told we didn’t. That definitely needs some fine tuning !!!!

- Shortage of room cards. It took 2 days for us to be able to get a second room card. That is just ridiculous.

- TV is very poor. As many visitors are from English speaking areas, more English channels would be nice.

- Elevator buttons are silver with white rings around them …… very difficult to read.

Room Tip: the preferred building is great. don'e take a room on the 5th floor, see details above.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Holiday4Princess
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This resort is truly wonderful. Close to town; nice, clean beach, very good service. Very few hiccups. We stayed mainly on the Now Amber side.

Food: Enjoyed the two restaurants and buffet. Although after one week (we booked 11 nights) the food, although tasty, becomes somewhat boring. Even with different team nights the main staple was the same. I did not enjoy the buffets at the beach. You were unable to see what you were eating and the chairs were not very steady in the sand. But this of course is a very personal opinion and you can go to any of the other restaurants on site.

Rooms: Large with unsurpassed view (I asked for view and was given a room on the 15th floor). The beds are out of this world, better than at home. Absolutely nothing missing to make you comfortable.

Room service: Don't know if it was me or the maid. For the first 4 days I did not see anyone. I hate to see unmade beds, so I just made it myself – no big deal. Then the room service seemed to improve, but I still found it late in the day, too late for my liking. I tried that little switch by the door asking for maid service, but it worked only once. No big deal there was only my husband and I in the room. Turn down service also seemed to be at a not too convenient time (for us) of the evening.

Service at the beach: Very friendly, helpful and reasonably fast. Unfortunately the one drink we enjoy - Campari was not available at the Now beach. Once we were lucky to get a very helpful waiter and he found the drink at the Secret site. The second time we asked for it another waiter never returned. It would have been nice to have him come back and offer something else, but no that was it. We finally found that the lobby bar serves Campari and for a couple of days we went there for a drink before dinner. Unfortunately we don't like the mixed drinks. A glass of beer, or wine and a shot of Campari before dinner is our style.

I really was happy to be able to call our daughter free of charge at home that we had arrived safely.

We went into town only once which is nice for a change and were pleasantly surprised, that most of the Malecon is now closed to traffic, a huge improvement. Taxi is only 60 pesos.

We received the coupons for reduced price on some services, but did not use them. Like another person said in their review to get $20 off on a $200 massage, well that is really not worth it.

Added pleasures: NO bracelet, NO towel card, NO or very few people getting up to "reserve chairs at 7 a.m." Chairs were always available. Fantastic!

I hope I do not sound too negative, because we had a WONDERFUL time and if the price is right we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank OmaWestVancouver_BC
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have travelled to a lot of places but this hotel,only 7months old blows every other all inclusive out of the water.
I might have to list the highlights:
1.FREE phone calls to N America

2.Amazing food-specialty restaurants and buffets.

3.Room service in 35 min or less 24/7-Free

4.Robes in the rooms

5.Stocked mini bar every day

6.loads of beach towels stacked everywhere and NO deposit required.

7.Amazing kids club open until 9pm-not that I needed it but did tour it-climbing wall-state of the art everything.

8.Kids only big pool-with small water slide-

9.Lots of entertainment-bingo-casino nights-shows on the beach.

10.Staff who love being there and who are a joyto be around-no problem too small.

11.Prices around 1,000 for a week(flight-taxes all inclusive)-we talked to Canadians from Sask-to Alta-we all seemed to have paid the same through Westjet vacations-I went with redtag.

12.Secrets is the sister resort for anniversaries/honeymoons--NO KIDS ALLOWED_People paid 70 dollars per person for an upgrade over there for the week.

Only poor things were the time share-although they don't call it that-- it is an adventure club and is attached to the resort-no other time share people allowed in there-- is tight security on the gate-it is gated at all times.

The beach is rocky and we never went there to swim-the vendors very respectful I must say.And not too many of them.

All in all a wonderful time--The spa very expensive but if you go outside the gate to the left a few feet there is a place called "healing hands massage" for 25 American dollars you get the best one hr of your life! I went three days in a row-wish I knew about it on checking in.

The resort changes American money with American money-splittng big bills to smaller and even ones for tipping-I never bought one peso bonus!!!

This resort is close to Malecon but dont go there Mon and Wed when cruise ships come in--inflated prices-

would I go again-in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: every room is ocean view and the decor and comfort of beds wonderful!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends