“Puerto Vallarta”

GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“Puerto Vallarta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great beach out front. I did expect to have a private pool staying in the Preferred Club section since that has been the case at other hotels I have stayed at but no private pool unless you book the swim-out suites which are expensive. All told a great holiday.

Room Tip: Very noisy during day on the Now Amber side even in the Preferred Section as all the rooms face out...
6 Thank Rina N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,033)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just returned from a trip to this resort Nov 18 to 25. I was travelling with one daughter and have to say we had a wonderful trip. The rooms were very comfortable and exceptionally clean, the daily service was top notch. We found the service around the pool to be fantastic especially Gustavo who did a tremendous job to keep us hydrated. We were disappointed when he moved over to serve the other side of the pool at the later part of our vacation but not enough to follow him to that side to sit in a deck chair. All the a la carte's were very good and my favourite was the Tapanaki which we ended up eating at twice. Throughly enjoyed the entire trip and can not say enough about the service and care we received.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor which was listed as a garden view but we had a beautiful view of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bev M
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Now Amber Resort & Spa in PV. Although there were a few issues, being a fairly new resort, we had a wonderful time and would definitely go back. The rooms are modern and nice (although the bathroom lighting could be brighter), beds comfortable and there is free internet and long distance calling in each room. Restaurants and food were amazing, although we didn't like the buffet for dinner. Definitely try the tapanaki (Japanese restaurant) as it is excellent. Loved the french and Italian restaurants too! They could ease up on the dress rules for men during the day, as they are very strict on the attire - men must wear t-shirts with sleeves for all meals (no tanks/muscle shirts allowed, which is inconvenient if you are around the pool). We did not like the lobby bar, as there wasn't any ceiling fans (or air conditioning, since it is an open room), and it was quite hot. We would go down to the disco to cool off in the evening. The staff at this resort are extremely nice and very helpful, but our favorites were Jan from entertainment crew, Silvia (hostess at the buffet), Violetta (concerierge ) and Benigno/Benny (host) who were both at the preferred building. We would not upgrade to "preferred" next time as it wasn't worth the extra money.

Room Tip: All the rooms were the same, and all have ocean views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kelly1233
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was the nicest resort that my hubby and I have ever stayed in. The grounds were beautiful, the staff very welcoming and friendly and the entire resort was very clean! I had never went into a bathroom where I wasn't impressed by the cleanliness!
Some people just HAVE to have something to complain about and you're never going to have everything perfect but our stay was pretty darn close! This place was amazing and you won't be disappointed...whether you are travelling as a couple or family. There's a great kids club which allowed the parents to enjoy beach volleyball, water basketball, water polo and drinks at the swim up bar! Staff was always accomodating with service, and tipping very much appreciated as staff make very little money. (My advice....bring many US dollar bills.) Unlimited phone calls to US and Canada and fee 24hr room service!
A little shy on the entertainment but we managed to keep ourselves very entertained, meeting some great people and dancing at the disco, ziplining and ATVing in the jungle and tequila tasting!!!!
BEWARE the sales presentation! They will say its not a time share but if you're not interested just walk away! Its practically the same thing. They will try to bribe you with a free breakfast etc or coupons for the hotels services....take the coupons and run! LOL! Only deal with your Airline for outings and tours.

Room Tip: DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE OCEAN VIEW ROOM!!!! THEY ARE ALL OCEAN VIEW ROOMS! ALL OF THEM! I made that...
5 Thank JP12andJP16
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed from Nov 10 - 17. Based on much travel experience, this is not a 5 star hotel. I would say 3-4 stars. Certainly some aspects are wonderful, including the pool and bar areas, the ala carte restaurants and most of the staff.

However the whole experience was severely tarnished when four of our group of five couples did not get the rooms we booked and paid for 6 months before. Five months after booking and paying in full, we were told the one ocean view swim up room was suddenly no longer available. Obviously the price had gone up since we booked and they sold it to someone else. Both the travel agent and Air Transat were unable to assist, blaming the Hotel, so we ended up with a garden view swim up room. Three of the four "Ocean view" rooms booked actually faced the pool, not the ocean, and two had a concrete wall on the balcony so they had no view at all! After two days and much hassle, we got the two couples moved to rooms that at least had a side view of the ocean. This is really inexcusable as the Hotel was clearly not near capacity. I could not recommend staying in a Now Resort anywhere because of this experience.

Other problems included the fact they only had one key card per couple; the restaurant reservation policy is inconsistent - our group of ten was always able to book a reservation for the restaurants, but sometimes when we showed up, the hostess denied we had a reservation; the buffet was no where near 5 star in variety or presentation.

Also there was a large outdoor wedding right in front of the rooms one night and another night a convention on the Secrets side of the hotel. Both of these had loud music that played until late. It would have been nice if the Hotel had warned us in advance. I feel sorry for the parents with young children who would have been trying to sleep. The grounds are too close to the Hotel rooms for these type of events. Also note that the wedding took place between the pool/beach and the rooms and other hotel guests had to pass through, so it is not private.

I notice some reviewers complained about the slow bar service by the pool. We found that tipping the waiter a couple of dollars first thing resulted in great service the whole day. No problem either if you asked for premium liquor.

The house red and white wines were good and the restauarant wine list was far better than I expected. The food in all of the ala carte restaurants was excellent - our favourite was Bordeaux.

The spa was expensive but massages just outside the hotel were a big hit for only $25.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mutt7S3
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Mutt7S3,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at Secrets Vallarta Bay. It is important to us and we appreciate all the feedback that we receive from all our guests which gives us a better understand where improvements may be necessary to main consistency in our standards. We would like to highlight each point that you have kindly mentioned to us.

We have made the investigations in regards to your review and see that you have mentioned all the types of situations that made you become uncertain about our services. Please allow us to clarify your room situation which you were upgraded to Secrets to the same category of room that you were originally booked. The other rooms were moved to Secrets as well to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean view and in fact the 4th floor of our building has a larger balcony overlooking the ocean.

It sadness us to hear that there was a miscommunication between our Food & Beverage Staff of certain Restaurants with your reservations; for this situation we extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced in our Restaurants.

We had a sold out group during the weekend that you visited us and had one private event during the evening as well as the wedding that was not extended up until 10:00 p.m. We are truly sorry that this made your stay far from relaxing as you expected.

Please give us the pleasure to have you once more to fulfill your expectation in your next vacations.

Cordially,

Mauricio Martinez
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at the now amber from Nov.13 to 20. The resort is rated as a five star resort but I feel that it is way over rated. I have been going to pvr for over 30 years and have stayed at many all inclusive resorts so I speak with lots of experience. I was not impressed with the fact that after check in , I was told that I had to sit and listen to an orientation about their vacation club(timeshare) . Overall their buffets had good quality food but lacked the variety I have found in many other all inclusive resorts. The bar service on the beach and around the pool was extremely poor and very inconsistent . The pool bar opened at 10 a.m. and at times I was lucky if I got a drink by 12. The pool snack bar only had hot dogs, hamburgers and tortilla chips available . Moreover there was no fountain drink dispenser so you either had to get a drink from the pool bar or wait for the waiter to serve you which usually took a long time. The Castaways restaurant by the pool was OK but the amount of food you received would not feed a small child let alone an adult. I ordered the Caesar salad and got one piece of bread and two (yes, only two) romaine leaves covered with dressing. On a more positive note, the service in the restaurants and buffet was excellent and I was very impressed with the room and its amenities.

Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Len J
Campbell River, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I went to PV from Nov 10-17th, we have stayed in many all inclusives, this is our 3rd in PV and area.
The Good...
-Beautiful grounds and rooms
-Some good staff
-Room Service
-Unlimited calls to the US and Canada
-No reservations at the a la cartes
-No wrist bands
-Great acknowledgement of special occasions (my husbands bday was met with cake, a letter, flowers, and a banner, he loved it)
-Comfortable beds in Mexico...what!?!?! when did this happen?

The Bad...
-Horrible service at the buffet restaurant (order a drink, go get dinner, eat dinner, and the drink still isn't there or why ask if I would like oj at breakfast if you are never going to bring it to me)
-Timeshares at the hotel (we were leaving to do some sightseeing and were chased down to ask if we were going to another "presentation" and that they could compete...like shouldn't the hotel be the sanctuary away from all that bs)

The Ugly...
-Sneaky booze upsells (my husband and I went to the french a la carte and while sitting there, a waiter came over to get us to smell some assorted booze, asks my husband if he would like a glass, my husband says I guess so, maybe a small taste of whatever he chose, the waiter pours it, passes it to him, and as he is taking his first sip, the waiter tells him the this is from the "premium bar" and it will be a charge on his room bill. My husband was so embarrassed and did not want to raise a fuss on his birthday, he signed the bill....it cost us $15!!!!
-Hotel sanctioned parties until 1am (I guess the money from the guests is not enough for this hotel, they hosted a huge party (I heard 500 people) for a Mexican steel company that took up the whole side of secrets and they played the worst and loudest music that not even earplugs could drown out until 1am, it was truly hideous. The next night, they were talking down a huge tent from the event until 1230 am, with steel on steel hammering. We phoned and complained and they pretended like there are no noise, it was bizarre.

All in all, the bones in this place are good, it just needs to be run better. The amenities are amazing but I would not stay here again due the choices this hotel makes and some of the staff they have. I have never had a bad experience in ANY of the other hotels I have stayed in and had huge expectations for this one and I was truly disappointed.

10 Thank JazzMe77
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience; we appreciate your comments as they help us better understand where improvements may be necessary in order to meet the expectations of our guests, and maintain consistency in our standards.

We would like to address the specific issues you may have encountered in a detailed manner; we regret that you found our service at our restaurants not up to our regular standards. However, please be certain that your comments will be handled in a Management Level and will seek improvements and training with our staff.

It is important to explain that the group that we had over the weekend was a sold out for the entire Secrets Resort and all the events were hosted in the facilities of the property. The tent never affected the vision of our guests staying at Now and was not intended to cause any type of inconvenience to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback and always take the opportunity to use guest comments on this important site as a way to improve both our service delivery and product. Once again, our apologies for the shortfalls you experienced, hopefully you will give us the opportunity to serve you once more in the future.

Cordially,

Mauricio Martinez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,077 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,326 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!