“Great choice in Puerto Vallarta”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, TX
“Great choice in Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Yes, we would go back. It is a lovely resort with fabulous sunset views and attentive service. The food is excellent, and I don't mean it's good for an all-inclusive. It's just great food that we would pay for in a regular restaurant. The spa is superb and would rival the best in the US. Our jacuzzi on the balcony was our favorite part of the place. The room was swanky with huge towels, soft robes, slippers, turn down service, etc.

The reasons I gave 4 stars instead of 5: scratchy sheets; limited choices for room service; and a high pressure sales pitch to get you to join their vacation club. Avoid the trap at all costs. It is a time share pitch for a $20K "club." Yes, you might get a free massage or other incentive, and if that's worth a headache and 2+ hours of your vacation, go for it.

NOW and Secrets are on the same property and share restaurants. Unless you just loathe kids, Secrets probably wouldn't be worth the extra money as you end up in the NOW section for a lot of amenities anyway. Kids were only annoying in the pool.

The morning buffet and the options for dinner were fantastic. Avoid the sushi section of the Japanese restaurant if you're picky about sushi; it was just so-so. Everything else we had (mostly fish) was very well prepared and presented. Note to vegetarians: you'll do OK here if you ask lots of questions and ignore what the menu says. An educated vegan will be all right as well. Note that the alcoholic beverages during dinner are limited to house wines, which were pretty good. Also, there is a dress code for guys for dinner: long pants, collared shirt, closed toe shoes. The servers try to take your entire order at once, but you can let them know you want to take your time and they'll slow down the pace. They also made great recommendations, so don't hesitate to ask.

The trip into town is a $5 cab ride or you can walk. We felt safe when we were out in the evenings.

Overall, NOW was a great value booked with Orbitz at the tail end of low season. We recommend it.

Room Tip: We liked the private bar and jacuzzi on the balcony with the preferred rooms, but you sacrifice ocea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank atxtw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at NOW Amber on October 5th through 12th. We arrived 130 pm on Friday and were greeted with cool towels and champagne right out of the cab and directly taken to preferred club check-in. Check-in was quick and we were escorted to our room located on the 3rd floor room # 1375. The room was beautiful and everything that I had anticipated. We had the garden view with Jacuzzi on the balcony. The mini bar consisted of 1 small bottle of Jack Daniels, 1 small bottle of Rum and 1 small bottle of Vodka. They also provided a few snack items (Pringles, M & M’s). The ridge was stocked with Corona, soda, water and some assorted juice boxes. The bathroom amenities were also stocked and perfect. The garden view provided a nice few of the pool and you could also see the ocean to the right.

This was our 7th stay with Amstar Resorts (Sunscape, Dreams in the Dominican and NOW Jade in Cancun) and needless to say NOW Amber did not disappoint. We love the Amstar resorts because there are no reservations necessary and have always provided us with the best service. All of the employees are wonderful and willing to do what ever it takes to provide the best in service. I must mention our two favorites at the preferred club lounge, Rueben and Bennie. They were top notch! Also Carmen in the breakfast buffet ALWAYS had a smile and friendly greeting each and every morning. We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast each morning; they have a wide variety of items to choose from. Lunch was either at Castaways or the Barefoot Grille, both were just fine! We did the Mexican buffet, Castaways, Capers and the buffet for dinner and were very satisfied with each of them. Drinks were plentiful throughout our stay and have no complaints.

This was our first stay in Puerto Vallarta and will return again someday. We visited the Malecon which is a must do even if you are not a shopper. Check out Pipi’s for the largest Margarita’s in town. We also stopped by Cheeky Monkey and Sea Monkey great dollar beers and margaritas!

My husband went fishing with Beto, whom approached us on the beach in front of the resort. My husband was very pleased with his experience and would recommend him to others. We also did the Rhino tour with Unique and had a great experience.

Another great vacation at our favorite resort chain (no I do not work for Amstar) just have had great experiences with the chain! Kudos to NOW Amber staff for providing us with top notch service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ShellsBells
Vancouver
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had my first solo trip to PV from Sep21-28. I actually wrote a review while I was still at the resort, but it disappeared from the "pending" list and is nowhere to be found. So I guess I'll have to re-write it.

CHECK-IN: check in was pretty quick. I could tell the resort had really low occupancy rate during that time. There were only a few people at the lobby/pool. When the staff handed me the room key, I asked what about the wrist band? She said there's none. YAY! No need to wear one here. :D

ROOM: I booked a garden-view room, but was given a 7th floor amazing ocean view room, without even asking for an upgrade. September must be a really slow month. Like other reviewers said, ALL ROOMS are ocean-view, just that garden-view rooms are on lower levels. I love the room, very nice decors and everything. The shampoo/shower gel were 118mL bottles, unlike the tiny bottles at most hotels. This is actually a really good size because I sweated so much everyday and had to shower 3 times a day. There were some issues with the doors though: 1.) the security chain on the door was not properly installed, and 2.) the connecting door was not locked!! I opened it and saw another door, if that door was also unlocked (I didn't try to push it open), I could walk into my neighbor's room. :O I called and they immediately sent someone to fix the problem, I'm satisfied with the speed of service.

FOOD: Overall great quality. Breakfast/lunch buffet items were almost the same everyday, nothing special. A-la-carte dinners were excellent though. I was happy to hear that NOW AMBER adult guests can dine at the SECRETS side after 6pm. That's so awesome because my favorite restaurant BORDEAUX is on the other side! :o) I dined at Bordeaux x 3, Capers x 2, Market Cafe (Mediterranean) x 1, and Himitsu x 1. Bordeaux is the best, both in food and service. Thanks Ricardo for addressing me by name all the time, and the tall young guy (forgot his name) always responded with "my pleasure" every time I said gracias. The duck breast and lobster bisque were very nice, but I particularly liked the pistachio creme brulee cake at Bordeaux. One time the cake was not completely defrosted before serving, but I still finished it. :D The fisherman linguine and salmon fillet at Capers were also great. No reservations required except for the teppanyaki cooking show at Himitsu, it's fun to watch, but food wise, I still prefer Bordeaux/Capers. I noticed that many of the dishes tend to be a bit too salty. The salmon and tuna tartar at Bordeaux would be delicious if it was less salty, same for the broccoli cream soup at Capers. ***Not all restaurants were opened every night, don't know if that's due to low occupancy. Bordeaux was opened on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun.

BARS: I'm not a drinker, but I had several virgin coladas and few sips of champagne at the lobby bar. I'm happy with both the drinks and service. It's nice to sit there by myself at night listening to the waves. I saw the lobby bartender washing glasses one day, and I asked "you guys have to wash the glasses too???" and he said yes. I thought they have a dish washer but apparently they have to wash them by hands. They really deserve a tip too.

HOUSEKEEPING: Can be better. I'm satisfied with the cleaniness of my room and the maids I met were friendly. However, one day I had to call at around 4pm to have my room cleaned. Also, I never had any turn-down service during my stay, although that's not a big deal for me.

POOL: Very nice and clean. The pools were almost empty sometimes, and plenty of chairs. The pools aren't very big though, not sure if it will be packed at full occupancy.

BEACH: Water is dirty, I know I shouldn't compare it to the crystal clear Caribbean water, but it's not very inviting. Tons of local vendors there trying to sell you stuff, but since the beach is public, it's not the resort's fault. There's ONE positive thing about the beach - U MIGHT BE ABLE RELEASE THE BABY SEA TURTLES if you are lucky! I wasn't lucky enough to see it, but another couple told me the hotel's staff protect the eggs, keep them in a safe place and release the babies after they hatch!! They happened to be around and had a chance to release the babies too!!

SECURITY: As a first time solo traveler, I felt safe during my entire stay at the resort (and outside of the resort too). The resort's gate is manned by staff and all guests/vehicles entering the resort has to provide their room number. The resort also has its own taxi team!! All the taxis are clean and air-conditioned, and drivers speak sufficient English to communicate. The rate is of course a bit more expensive compared to a yellow taxi on the street, but you feel more safe and comfortable.

CHECK-OUT: was efficient. I asked if late check out is possible and the staff said it would cost $50 USD and suggested that I could still use the facilities even after I checked out, and there's a hospitality room which I could use for about 30 mins to take a shower before I leave, and it's free of charge. So late check out isn't really necessary. :)

OVERALL: EXCELLENT service. Beautiful resort, nice decors. During my first dinner at Bordeaux, I wondered if the ENORMOUS wall painting is real, or just printed. The second time I went there, I touched it, and it is a real oil painting! WOW. The painting at Secret's concierge desk is also very nice. :)

MISCELLANEOUS: It's only 5 mins ride to Centro. There's a bus stop just out on the main road; cost 6.5 pesos to take the bus or 60 pesos to take the hotel taxi. Also a currency exchange near the bus stop that has better rates compared to the hotel/airport, but requires a passport even to exchange a small amount. Lots of small massage parlors across from the OXXO nearby, and I had amazing massages at RCS for $20 /75mins. Not an exciting neighborhood though, nothing much to see.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank piggy10786
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited Now Amber Resort with a party of 7 October 4 - October 8th. The resort grounds are beautiful as you enter the lobby. I believe people can be very harsh on reviews so I wanted to make sure I had a fair and honest assessment of my stay.

Check In:
The front desk attendant was very nice and helpful as were the greeters. We checked in in the early afternoon and there seemed to be no problem with my friends or my Mother getting their rooms in a quick and orderly fashion. The bellman was also very prompt and attentive.

Garden View Rooms:
The rooms were spacious and beautiful. The open bathroom and the privacy sliding doors are extremely nice. The shower and sunken tub were also very nice and the view of the pool and ocean unbelievably beautiful. There were issues with the cleanliness of the room as it had stains and was never mopped during my visit. There was also trash right outside my room several of the days and I had to call to ask to have the room cleaned. I also had chewing gum and a threading needle and balls of hair for more than one day.

Food and Drinks:
The food and drinks were good for the most part but there were a few times when the drinks were few and far between in the bar area and the food was cold and hard to eat at times. In all fairness to Castaways, they were close to closing time and served us what they had available. The specialty restaurants were good especially the Japanese restaurant and Capers (Italian) restaurant. The service at all the on restaurants was friendly, fast and efficient.

Staff:
We could not have asked for a better group of service men and women with the exception of the cleaning staff. My largest complaint was that all three of the rooms we occupied had to request the rooms to be cleaned late 2 of 3 afternoons. We also called the front desk to report stains that looked like blood which were never mopped or cleaned. There was hair, bottle caps and dirt outside my Mother's room for several days so I was very displeased with this portion of the property.

Wedding Coordinator:
Edith was amazing and if I hadn't had such a bad experience with the hotel cleaning I would have love to have my wedding there next year. Edith was very informative, polite and she took the time to really listen to the things we would like to incorporate into the ceremony.

Overall:
I would say this place is a 3 verging on a 4 star resort. I have stayed at several AMResorts and this is the first time I have ever had any issues with rooms being cleaned without a phone call or tracking down the maid. I have never seen stains and discoloration in such a new hotel. I know it is challenging to keep a lightly interior facility clean and I hope they can rectify the issue because I would like to be able to recommend it in the future. .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank travel_lin_74
California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

So it starts when you are greeted from the taxi on arrival with a cold towel and a glass of champagne!! Now that is a good start. You are then escorted to check in (We stayed in the prefered tower - Great choice) where you are offered a vacation presentation which if you are a gown up you can politely refuse or accept. We were shown to the room and were very pleasantly surprised. We have stayed all over the world, in four seasons, ritz carltons etc and honestly this was one of the very nicest rooms. The food in the restaurants was first class and is second only to the amazing service. Nothing was too much trouble and was always offered with a smile and a "it is my pleasure". We did not leave the hotel as we really just wanted to relax and we did. The property has only been open since April and there are tiny little things to be ironed out like the music in the AMAZING spa being a little too loud and funky translations on the menus - but honestly I am being really picky. Just a note - don't be cheap and tip even though they say it's included. we booked with cheap caribean and got an absolute steal - Go enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view - lower floors are considered "garden view" as you can only see...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank jillycalifornia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The service was impeccable. This place is so safe. I was left speechless by the cleanliness, the beauty, the service, the food and the safety provided by this resort. Completely 100% would Stay here again and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank cindyjd09
Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were a group of 5 (very different) people, stayed there for 1 week. At the end of the week, none of us had any real concern.. I read some reviews with tons of complaints, so I guess if you dig for reasons to be disappointed you will get what you are looking for wherever you go.
The best thing I found at Now Amber is the willingness of the staff to make your stay as enjoyable as it can possibly be. Everyone was very nice, always smiling and doing their best to get you what you want. They actulay approach you to ask if they can get you something and make sure that you were satisfied. So if it happened and you noticed something was not there or missed , all what you need is just to make a note...and you will almost sure to get it.
The Room was spacious, large comfy bed, effecient AC and ceiling fan, jacuzi, balcony with an open ocean view, free internet , free unlimited bar and free 24h room service.
5 Resturants, at least 3 or 4 were open for dinner every evening,some are adults only or required reservation. Breakfast Buffet was very good with wide selections, and every A la carte has one or 2 excellent dishes AGAIN just ask for a recommendation.
Several Swimming pools, almost impossible at any time to have them all over crowded and the beach is just few steps away.
All in All, I had a very good week.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank elfazy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!