“Wonderful vacation! Didn't want to leave!”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Wheeling, Illinois
“Wonderful vacation! Didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My daughter and I got back 2 days ago and had an amazing week at NOW Amber. As soon as we stepped out of the taxi, we were handed champagne and cold towels and their attention to details and to our comfort just got better as the week went on. Our room was beautiful and we had a wonderful view of the ocean. The entertainment staff was awesome ,fun and they really wanted you to have a good time and get involved in the many activities on the beach and by the pool, and in the lobby (Bingo). The shows were great, and the dinner for Independence Day was unbelievable! And the food at every restaurant we ate at was delicious and all of the wait staff were professional, and kind and more than willing to help. The breakfast buffet at Carnival was amazing every morning. All of the staff that we encountered at NOW went out of their way to make sure you had all of your needs taken care of and everyone greeted you in a happy, friendly way and really wanted you to have a great time! I can't wait to go back-it was a fantastic week!! Just be sure to ignore all of the time share presentations at the airport.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nanci M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,033)
  • Korean first
Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have stayed at this beautiful resort a few weeks ago. Had no complaints at all. The beach is not as nice as we'd hoped for. So, if nice beach is very important to you, you should stay somewhere else. Good food at all the nicer restaurants comparing to other all inclusive resorts (the only disappointment was the quality of sushi). Pretty much everyone was polite and helpful. The only time we encountered unfriendly service was at Oceana restaurant (I believe the name of the waiter was Fernando). The open air lounge is gorgeous, we have been watching sunset there every night. The spa is one of the most beautiful spas I have ever seen in my life (pretty pricey though). I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moskba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We booked our honeymoon trip to Now Amber and were blown away from the moment we arrived!! All previous reviews were very helpful to give me tips so I want to do the same. The staff greeted us with champagne and cool towels as soon as we stepped out of the taxi. We had booked a premium junior ocean suite but were upgraded to the Secrets side (if you are not traveling with children I highly recommend the Secrets side). Our room was breathtaking with rose petals and a bubble bath drawn. We had a huge honeymoon banner on our door. The service staff is what made our experience Dutch a memorable one. Vanessa our concierge- incredible. Gilberto in the premium bar was extremely helpful as well and made great cocktails. Luis the lobby bartender was outstanding and made us his special drink that was amazing!! He gave us great tips and accommodated any of our needs. However ALL staff and I can't stress that enough were sooooooo friendly and made us feel VIP!! Everything was terrific and I can't wait to go back!! The food was better than any other all inclusive I have been to and the drinks were top shelf. I Reccomend Oceania and Himitsu but didn't get to try Bourdeaux. We loved loved it!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Annejohnson44
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My friend and I scored a great deal at cheapcaribbean.com for this all-inclusive resort which has many restaurants (not just buffets) and activities. The resort is right on the beach so you have the option of any one of their pools or just take a few steps out onto the sand. Gorgeous views and the weather was great the entire time we were there (September 2012). Staff was amazing - service was comparable to what I received in 5 star hotels in the US. Calling you by name, arranging dinners and activities outside of resort, always asking if there is anything else they can do. Secrets is the adults only side but we manages to check it out since we didn't have kids and Now Amber is more family oriented. Activities are planned all the time - water aerobics, shuffleboard, etc. and everyone is very friendly. I would definitely stay here again! Make sure when you arrive at the airport to bypass EVERYONE until you are nearly outside. Pick up your bags and go through the airport to the very end. As you are literally walking outside you'll see someone in an orange golf shirt to take you to the resort. Don't get caught up in the time share presentations at the airport with all the people yelling at you that it just takes a minute of your time!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view if you go out on the balcony/patio. So, I wouldn't spend the extra...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank BeachGirl021
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Now Amber Resort & Spa is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. While exiting the bus that brought us from the airport, hotel staff greeted us with wet towels and champagne. Check in process went smoothy and we did not have a problem with timeshare representatives (which was mentioned by a few reviewers). The lobby was spacious and had a great view. Our room also had an amazing view of the ocean, it was modern and well cleaned every day.
FOOD:
We had breakfast & lunch every day at the buffet downstairs, this was probably the only place I wasn't a fan of. The food there was simple and boring, and at times I felt that it wasn't fresh.
Our favorite place for dinner was Mexican and Asian Restaurants. We did not enjoy the food that much at the Italian Restaurant.
The gym was well equipped.
We had no problem swimming in the ocean at all, it did depend on the weather though, sometimes it was too dangerous to swim due to massive waves. The hotel offers free kayaking @ 11am, we did that a couple of times and had lots of fun ( no reservation needed ).
All of the pools were clean and had nice water temperature.
The music lounge downstairs was awesome ( similar to a club ).

Room Tip: Room service is free. Internet is free - good connection. If you run out of alcohol or feel like h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tigerr08
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

OVERALL: This resort (conjoined with Secrets Vallarta Bay) is upscale, lovely and well-appointed. I would welcome the opportunity to stay here again.

SERVICE: The service was plentiful, cheerful and pleasant. For an all-inclusive resort, I was quite pleased with the quality and variety of food (and I can be picky on this subject).

ROOM: My chief hesitation on not making 5 stars is the room size. We had a "Junior Suite Ocean View", which means a standard room above the 4th floor. Note that ALL rooms face the ocean, but the views from the lower floors are obstructed by the resort's gardens and greenery. We were in the main tower (not Preferred Club) and they call all the rooms there suites. Unfortunately, I felt the room was only somewhat larger than a regular Sheraton/Marriott room. The bathroom was larger than average (double sink, big shower & jacuzzi), but the only suite aspect was one chaise lounge that comfortably sat only one person. There was not a separate sitting area, which is what I expect for a "junior suite". Plus, balconies are narrow, which only allows room for a cocktail sized table and two cafe style chairs.

A few random tips:

TEPPANYAKI (@ HIMATSU): This is the only restaurant that requires reservations. The cooking "show" is engaging and quite similar to Benihana. Teppanyaki tables seat 12. Be sure to arrive on time! We showed up 10 minutes late (on "Mexican time") and were refused to be seated as the "show" had already started. Not to fret, we were invited to join the next seating time in place of 2 no shows (who arrived late and were also turned away from the Teppanyaki table). My suggestion - plan on arriving 30-40 minutes early and sit in the "regular" part of Himatsu and order some sushi, tempura and drinks.

BORDEAUX: This is the French restaurant that's only open some days. Definitely my favorite! I recommend this for couples - delightful menu and fantastic service. We were served a slow and delicous meal - a great night!

DRESS CODE: For the theme restaurants, men must wear long pants, collared shirts and closed toe shoes. We saw a guest turned away at Bordeaux because he was wearning sandals. Ladies should wear a skirt or dress.

SAND FLEAS: Apparently, there are lots of sand fleas in PV, and this resort is no exception. We left full of itchy bites. If you're concerned, bring bug repellent.

CONDITIONER: The hotel provides bar soap, shower gel, lotion and shampoo/conditioner combo. I'm not a fan of the combo, as I need a separate conditioner. Wish I would have known this. If you like a separate condiioner, bring your own.

MUSTY/MOLDY SMELL: Our bed linens had a musty/moldy smell even though they were changed daily. I believe this is due to the high heat and humidity of PV in early Sept., rather than a specific fault of the hotel.

TIPS: Technically, you are not expected/required to tip at all-inclusive resorts. However, we received lots of outstanding service and felt we should reward the waiters, bartenders, etc. We noticed they remembered us from one day to the next and provided us even more attention. Of course, this is totally up to you. But, if you subscribe to my philosophy, I recommend going to the bank prior and bring a bunch of $1 bills and a few $5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank SunshineGirl2929
Danville, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Measure of a place is "would you stay here again now that you've stayed at the hotel?". Whole-heartedly would say 100% yes! This place is two resorts in one:

Now Amber: Family friendly side
Secrets: Adults only side

My wife and I stayed on the Now Amber side given that it was cheaper than the Secrets side plus it was "off season" which meant not as many kids running g around. We splurged for the Preferred Tower" given that the Jacuzzi was on the deck overlooking the ocean. We loved sitting in the tub to start the day and end the day - gorgeous view while sipping coffee or drinking a cerveza from the tub!

The service is impeccable - cant say enough good things about it.

This is the AI place to go whether you are with your family or coming for a romantic couple get-away. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
11 Thank Putt4Doe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,079 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,329 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!