“Absolutely Wonderful!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Absolutely Wonderful!”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel exceeded my expectations by far! It was such a great experience and I highly recommend this hotel. The staff was very very accommodating and I had NO complaints at all. The beach is literally right there and very nice. It was my first visit to PV and I was very impressed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank BonnieJ111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,076)
  • Korean first
kelowna
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This was our first time in PV .We had a swimout suite. It was very nice. The maid sevice was the best.When arriving they give you 200 dollars to spend at the hotel. If you are not into the spa there was no where else really to spend the coupons as the stores were not even close to being complete.They also pester you to buy into the time share thing. If you dont they treat you like your dirt....... very rude.The food was nice,but they need more options.It was a nice stay but im sure there are better opions out there.

3 Thank muffinater
Vancouver
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We just sadly returned home from our 10 day vacation at Now Amber Resort & Spa. We went from April 12th to April 22nd with our daughters aged four and five. We stayed at the Preferred Club room #1873. Two double beds on the top floor. We were initially quite apprehensive about booking the all-inclusive vacation as it was opening April 1st and there was not a lot of updates until the last week of March. However, we took our chances knowing there were likely going experience some minor glitches.

It was a 20 minute cab ride from the airport. Upon arrival the resort looked simply beautiful and very secure with large entry and exit gates. The resort layout maximizes the stunning views of the ocean. Upon arrival, we were escorted to the Preferred Club concierge and were set up quickly and efficiently.

Our room was just as stunning as the resort and the pictures do not do it justice. We were on the top floor next to the Presidential suite that was still being completed. We barely heard any construction noise coming from next door. The only minor thing was that I found the beds a little too firm, but that is only a personal preference.

The pools were fantastic. Not too cold. We spent most of our days around the kids shallow pools and water slide because of our little ones. The pool service was really good. Both Angel and Massai at the children’s pool treated us like royalty and knew exactly what we needed without us even having to say anything.

The Explorers Club staff put us at ease leaving our children in their care. Angela, Pao, Nancy,Jocelyn and the rest of the staff attempted at great lengths to make our children comfortable and cared for while in their care. Unfortunately, our children did not spend as much time at the Explorers Club as we hoped, but we know that the facilities and staff there were professional and motherly. The Explorers Club itinerary was provided the day prior and kept the kids busy from 9:00am to 10:00pm. So, there is a possibility of enjoying some nice romantic dinners at some of the al-a-carte restaurants at both Now and the neighbouring Secrets resort with a pager in case the kids needed us.

We only got to enjoy two of the a-la-carte restaurants, Bordeaux (French) and Tamarindo (Mexican). We went to Bordeaux twice because it was AWESOME! We had some of the best food ever. Service and the food were top notch. Tamarindo was also very good. Suggestion...try the lamb and the shrimp.

Our daughter developed a high-grade fever on day 7 of our trip likely due to having way too much fun in the sun. Firstly, I would like to say that the staff were absolutely fantastic and professional. They got us whatever we needed without hesitation and our daughter was back on her feet after two days. THANK YOU Adriana, Mauricio and Sergiu of the Preferred Club concierge staff.

My wife loved the massage she got at the spa. She said it was the best massage she has ever had. The facilities are absolutely beautiful.

There were only two glitches we experienced during our stay. Firstly, the turn-down service was not done regularly, but I suspect it was because they were told that our daughter was sick and to leave us alone. Not a big deal at all. Secondly, security staff had opened our door at 4:00am which scared the crap out of us. It was the second time they had done that during our stay. The other time was at 2:00pm while my daughter was napping in our room. A written complaint was lodged and the resort quickly dealt with the problem. According to the security staff, the first time (2:00pm) security had entered our room was due to the door not being properly locked. The second time (4:00am) was because they believed the room was unoccupied. Since that incident we just chained the door to provide us with a little added security.

The nightly shows were entertaining and family friendly. The entertainment staff worked hard to keep people busy all day, but there was not a lot of people or interest. Unfortunately, I did not get in a beach volleyball game.

The entire staff were courteous, professional, genuine, and friendly. Some of the staff even remembered our names and were always asking how are daughter was feeling.

The resort was only at 30% capacity which was likely due to it just being recently opened. However, the word is going to be out and this place will be THE place to be. We are definitely coming back!

Room Tip: Preferred club floors 6-8 to enjoy the fireworks from your balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank shaifbrenda
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Just got back yesterday, it was very modern and beautiful. Service was amazing. Only thing that I didn't care for was they were taking pictures of the place for advertising the whole week and we had to move a few times.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Britt57
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I just returned from the NOW Amber Resort & Spa and had a fabulous vacation. The resort is beautiful! NOW Amber, which caters to families, is connected to Secrets, which is adults -only. Even though we were traveling without kids, we choose to stay at NOW because of the price, but we had the luxury of using both resorts.

Our room was large, modern and we loved how it was decorated. It had a flat screen TV and cable (HBO included). The shower and Jacuzzi tub were fantastic. The room faced the ocean where we could watch the sunset every night from our balcony. NOW doesn't provide hair conditioner, only conditioning shampoo and I ended up buying some at a local pharmacy. We had issues a few times with the sounds of construction as they were finishing working on some of the top floors, but it wasn’t too bad.

Almost everyone who works at this resort tried really hard to make our trip the very best it could be. We were greeted with cool towels and champagne as we checked in. The bar staff were friendly and made great drinks – anything we wanted. We were surprised to see such a large selection of top-shelf liquors.

The resort location is very close to the airport (10-15 minute drive) and it was very easy to get a taxi whenever we ventured out. There is an empty hotel next door which provided us an eerie feeling when walking down the beach.

Dinners were very gourmet and tasted great. There was a huge selection of seafood on the menus. The Japanese restaurant was our favorite (Chef Jesus is awesome!) with the French and Italian being tied for second. The Oceana, located near the beach is also great and we enjoyed our last night there watching the sunset. The resort hosted a Mexican Fiesta night and I was very surprised how great the food was at this event. They even had a mechanical bull! The buffet, Carnival, was mediocre, and we soon learned that we could have an a la carte breakfast at Secrets, which we preferred because the food was freshly made and served hot.

The entertainment by the pool was a bit lame, but then again the hotel was fairly empty so not many people participated in the organized activities. I really wish they would change the music by the pool and offer more upbeat party music later in the afternoon.

Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: We paid extra to have an ocean front view. Once we got there it looked as if ALL of the rooms have...
7 Thank anonymous42139
AZ
Reviewed April 19, 2012

They had a few glitches..But we expected that as they just opened April 1, 2012. We were to stay for 5 days and 4 nights but after seeing our Garden view room (aka Oceanview)..We extended it. The beds are great the in room Jacuzzi was nice. The shower is to die for! I want one at home.

We ate at all the Now restaurants and my favorite was the Japanese teppanyaki. The staff is on the ball. We had 3 people go out of the way to help us. Ferando at the pool -Side kick was omar he is funny, Angel was in the Castaway great guy spoke wonderful English was very helpful and can not forget Hector in the Japanese restaurant. But I have to say they all went out of there way.

If you are looking for late night partying this hotel is not for you everything wraps up at 1am but your very close to downtown Puerto Vallarta 5 dollars to take you to the disco's. No sports bar so we had to venture into town one day to watch baseball. They are working on that as for now the disco doubles as the sports bar because of TV's but it did not open until 7pm.

Now the glitches: We asked for late check out they were willing to give us a hour. Then a hospitality room you must book at front desk. Booked it for 2:30pm arrived to get key room not ready said come back at 3:20pm I was nervous as our flight was at 6pm and they stress to get to the airport 3 hours before flight..10 min cab ride from hotel... 3:20 still no room my husband and both were covered in suntan oil..I do not have the women's name but she stepped in and walked us over to Secrets which she did not have to do...Got the key but when we enter that room it was a mess..Went to the pool got three towels and used all my own stuff..The whole reason I could not stay in my room was it was rented out and the reason I could not use the Now;s hospitality was it was dirty. Once we finished our showers and went back to front desk to check out the couple that was to take over our old room was told it was being clean..So my thoughts were I could have used the old room as they were not going to give them the room until after 4pm as it was. But again that is a glitch it did not spoil our trip nor make us miss our flight to the states. I had worse things happen at other resorts.

I say go for it the property is well worth it my personal advice if you don't mine kids stay at Now I felt the rooms were very nice....The Secrets are a bit wild for my taste.(Color Scheme)

8 Thank cmflynn63
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My family visited this resort the day it opened on April 1 for a week. First, let me say the hotel is beautiful!!! We took a taxi to the hotel, which is only 15 minutes away and cost $18! I expected some hiccups, but WOW... The room was GREAT, but only one problem. We had 3 people (2 adults and 1 10 year old) in a room with only one bed. Not going to work for us. No problem though. They moved us really quickly and the 2nd room was great! Exactly like the pictures look on the website. But then, the electricity in the bathroom kept going on and off, the t.v., (which most of the channels are in Spanish. Not even ESPN was in English, which my hubby didn't like) was GREEN. Every channel was GREEN. AND the telephones didn't work. We stayed there for a day and then moved to our third and final room. The only thing in the room that bugged me was that the beds were hard as a brick, so I didn't get much sleep. The great thing is that every room (we stayed in the NON preferred building) had an amazing view. After moving all those times, the resort did nothing to "say sorry" to us. So much for customer service. My hubby and I have been to Secrets Maroma Beach, which is awesome! So we expected at LEAST that kind of service. Well, the main people you communicate with were not truly bi-lingual and the language barrier was great. For example, ordering a breakfast omlette was a task because the chef didn't know what I was saying. I found myself pointing to things alot. Service in the restaurants was REALLY SLOW also. Again, more pointing to items on the menu because they didn't understand me. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and they didn't have our name down on the reservation list, which I made with the concierge the day before. One day we were eating at Castaways (right on the beach front). On the menu, it CLEARLY says, MIXED FAJITAS, which include beef, shrimp and chicken. I ordered that and it came out with fish. I'm allergic to fish. I sent it back and told the waiter, but he really didn't understand. When it came back out, all they did was scrape off the fish. There were still traces of it left on the plate. Needless to say, all I had was chips and salsa that meal. Again, the language barrier. Another waiter, who was not our waiter, kept having to come to the table to help out because he spoke English. We never received turn down service at night until we complained about it. So daily, we had to remember to go to the front desk to get a Sundial to know what the activities were. They normally put that on your bed at night during turndown service. When we did complain, we got turn down service that night. Great! That's what we thought. We didn't get it again for another three days until we complained AGAIN. A couple of days (once the resort got busier), we didn't get our room cleaned until very late in the afternoon. There was one day where we didn't get anyone to clean our room. We called housekeeping 3 times before someone came in and that was at 5 pm. When she came in, she made the bed, but didn't give us new towels. So she had to come back. We also NEVER got our mini bar restocked. To me, these are the little things that make a vacation special. There were also kids on the adult side (Secrets)! That definitely needs to be regulated more. The resorts are CONNECTED. Literally only steps that separate the adult resort from the family resort. They share alot of things. For example, the main ballroom where they hold the Mexican Themed night is on the Secrets side. The disco (which children are not allowed) is on the Now Side, as well as the Japanese restaurant. And the theatre where all the nightly shows are held is on the Now side. The television stations were mainly in Spanish like I said earlier. No problem. We were in Mexico. But on a resort, I'm used to having AT LEAST HBO and ESPN. I was expecting that since we were at a family resort there would be ONE kid's channel in English (like Disney or Nickelodeon). Nothing. The other thing that I am not sure how they can regulate is the beach. It's a public beach which is really close to a bar. There were SOO many people on the beach, I didn't know who was on the resort and who wasn't. And neither did the security. I was on the Secrets side and saw a young man (probably late teens or early 20's) wander off the beach and onto the resort. I think he ended up at the swim up bar. Then I saw him (about 20 minutes later) leave. I SAW THIS!!! As a parent, that was really scary to me because who's to say that people couldn't just come on the Now side and do the same thing? People would set up there tents and beach umbrellas RIGHT IN FRONT of the resort palapa's and stay there all day. It's a very busy beach. The nightclub was also disappointing. It's beautifully decorated (as it the entire resort), but not alot of variety of top 40 music at ALL. The nightly entertainment was good (I'm sure it will improve), the kid's club and it's staff was AMAZING! This was truly the best thing. Our daughter never wanted to leave. It wasn't open when we first arrived, so they had all the activities in the Teen Center. It opened later on during the week (on a Thursday afternoon). Once it opened, it really is nice!!! And the counselors were awesome! We would come back JUST FOR THIS! Kid's will love it! The food at the resort was good also! Lots of variety. If these things can be fixed, I'm sure the resort will be great. I would wait at least a year to go and let them work out the kinks, but not too soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank allmyluck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#15 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#17 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!