“Just returned LOVED it!!!!!!!!!”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
AZ
“Just returned LOVED it!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

They had a few glitches..But we expected that as they just opened April 1, 2012. We were to stay for 5 days and 4 nights but after seeing our Garden view room (aka Oceanview)..We extended it. The beds are great the in room Jacuzzi was nice. The shower is to die for! I want one at home.

We ate at all the Now restaurants and my favorite was the Japanese teppanyaki. The staff is on the ball. We had 3 people go out of the way to help us. Ferando at the pool -Side kick was omar he is funny, Angel was in the Castaway great guy spoke wonderful English was very helpful and can not forget Hector in the Japanese restaurant. But I have to say they all went out of there way.

If you are looking for late night partying this hotel is not for you everything wraps up at 1am but your very close to downtown Puerto Vallarta 5 dollars to take you to the disco's. No sports bar so we had to venture into town one day to watch baseball. They are working on that as for now the disco doubles as the sports bar because of TV's but it did not open until 7pm.

Now the glitches: We asked for late check out they were willing to give us a hour. Then a hospitality room you must book at front desk. Booked it for 2:30pm arrived to get key room not ready said come back at 3:20pm I was nervous as our flight was at 6pm and they stress to get to the airport 3 hours before flight..10 min cab ride from hotel... 3:20 still no room my husband and both were covered in suntan oil..I do not have the women's name but she stepped in and walked us over to Secrets which she did not have to do...Got the key but when we enter that room it was a mess..Went to the pool got three towels and used all my own stuff..The whole reason I could not stay in my room was it was rented out and the reason I could not use the Now;s hospitality was it was dirty. Once we finished our showers and went back to front desk to check out the couple that was to take over our old room was told it was being clean..So my thoughts were I could have used the old room as they were not going to give them the room until after 4pm as it was. But again that is a glitch it did not spoil our trip nor make us miss our flight to the states. I had worse things happen at other resorts.

I say go for it the property is well worth it my personal advice if you don't mine kids stay at Now I felt the rooms were very nice....The Secrets are a bit wild for my taste.(Color Scheme)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank cmflynn63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

My family visited this resort the day it opened on April 1 for a week. First, let me say the hotel is beautiful!!! We took a taxi to the hotel, which is only 15 minutes away and cost $18! I expected some hiccups, but WOW... The room was GREAT, but only one problem. We had 3 people (2 adults and 1 10 year old) in a room with only one bed. Not going to work for us. No problem though. They moved us really quickly and the 2nd room was great! Exactly like the pictures look on the website. But then, the electricity in the bathroom kept going on and off, the t.v., (which most of the channels are in Spanish. Not even ESPN was in English, which my hubby didn't like) was GREEN. Every channel was GREEN. AND the telephones didn't work. We stayed there for a day and then moved to our third and final room. The only thing in the room that bugged me was that the beds were hard as a brick, so I didn't get much sleep. The great thing is that every room (we stayed in the NON preferred building) had an amazing view. After moving all those times, the resort did nothing to "say sorry" to us. So much for customer service. My hubby and I have been to Secrets Maroma Beach, which is awesome! So we expected at LEAST that kind of service. Well, the main people you communicate with were not truly bi-lingual and the language barrier was great. For example, ordering a breakfast omlette was a task because the chef didn't know what I was saying. I found myself pointing to things alot. Service in the restaurants was REALLY SLOW also. Again, more pointing to items on the menu because they didn't understand me. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and they didn't have our name down on the reservation list, which I made with the concierge the day before. One day we were eating at Castaways (right on the beach front). On the menu, it CLEARLY says, MIXED FAJITAS, which include beef, shrimp and chicken. I ordered that and it came out with fish. I'm allergic to fish. I sent it back and told the waiter, but he really didn't understand. When it came back out, all they did was scrape off the fish. There were still traces of it left on the plate. Needless to say, all I had was chips and salsa that meal. Again, the language barrier. Another waiter, who was not our waiter, kept having to come to the table to help out because he spoke English. We never received turn down service at night until we complained about it. So daily, we had to remember to go to the front desk to get a Sundial to know what the activities were. They normally put that on your bed at night during turndown service. When we did complain, we got turn down service that night. Great! That's what we thought. We didn't get it again for another three days until we complained AGAIN. A couple of days (once the resort got busier), we didn't get our room cleaned until very late in the afternoon. There was one day where we didn't get anyone to clean our room. We called housekeeping 3 times before someone came in and that was at 5 pm. When she came in, she made the bed, but didn't give us new towels. So she had to come back. We also NEVER got our mini bar restocked. To me, these are the little things that make a vacation special. There were also kids on the adult side (Secrets)! That definitely needs to be regulated more. The resorts are CONNECTED. Literally only steps that separate the adult resort from the family resort. They share alot of things. For example, the main ballroom where they hold the Mexican Themed night is on the Secrets side. The disco (which children are not allowed) is on the Now Side, as well as the Japanese restaurant. And the theatre where all the nightly shows are held is on the Now side. The television stations were mainly in Spanish like I said earlier. No problem. We were in Mexico. But on a resort, I'm used to having AT LEAST HBO and ESPN. I was expecting that since we were at a family resort there would be ONE kid's channel in English (like Disney or Nickelodeon). Nothing. The other thing that I am not sure how they can regulate is the beach. It's a public beach which is really close to a bar. There were SOO many people on the beach, I didn't know who was on the resort and who wasn't. And neither did the security. I was on the Secrets side and saw a young man (probably late teens or early 20's) wander off the beach and onto the resort. I think he ended up at the swim up bar. Then I saw him (about 20 minutes later) leave. I SAW THIS!!! As a parent, that was really scary to me because who's to say that people couldn't just come on the Now side and do the same thing? People would set up there tents and beach umbrellas RIGHT IN FRONT of the resort palapa's and stay there all day. It's a very busy beach. The nightclub was also disappointing. It's beautifully decorated (as it the entire resort), but not alot of variety of top 40 music at ALL. The nightly entertainment was good (I'm sure it will improve), the kid's club and it's staff was AMAZING! This was truly the best thing. Our daughter never wanted to leave. It wasn't open when we first arrived, so they had all the activities in the Teen Center. It opened later on during the week (on a Thursday afternoon). Once it opened, it really is nice!!! And the counselors were awesome! We would come back JUST FOR THIS! Kid's will love it! The food at the resort was good also! Lots of variety. If these things can be fixed, I'm sure the resort will be great. I would wait at least a year to go and let them work out the kinks, but not too soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank allmyluck
Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a great vacation at Now Amber - hotel is beautiful -looks just like photos on website and facebook. we had a swim out room which was great, especially as it got the evening sun. Room was big with beautiful finishings and very very clean. Staff were very helpful and eager to assist - always cleaning public areas which are spotless. As we did not have kids we also had the use of Secrets Resort and spa which was also very nice.
Gym had plenty of equipment and air cond was good. Spa is beautiful ,prices similar to spa at 5 star hotel in Vancouver BC.
Pool and hot tub temps were great - location of hotel is an easy taxi ride into town.
Food was quite good - not all restaurants are open every night so you need to plan ahead - but maybe this was as resort was not busy. Great place for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Swim out regular room gets eveing sun on patio - not sure if perferred rooms get evening sun.