“First time, loved it!”

Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #14 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our stay at Secrets was from Dec. 15-21, 2013. This was our first time at Secrets, our first time at an all inclusive and first time in Mexico, we loved it! Our stay exceeded our expectations. The resort is beautiful, the rooms romantic and comfortable, the food and drinks were very good and easily available, but the best part was the pampering by the staff. We stayed in the Prefered Tower and had swim out rooms (our son and daughter-in-law were also there), while we had limited ocean views, the swim out feature was quite enjoyable. It was fun to swim to each other's room. We even had staff deliver drink orders to our swim out pool. The pools were great, easy to find lounge chairs, towels always available, staff was ready to take drink or food orders. The beach is rocky and not the most inviting, but great for walking along and watching the waves. The vendors are on the beach, but left you alone if you said no. The grounds are stunningly beautiful, very clean and well maintained. Many choices of where to eat. Favorites included the Mexican restaurant and outdoor seafood cafe. Highly recommend the spa! We spent a day enjoying the hydrotherapy pools and enjoyed massages, hot stone massage was wonderful! Overall it was a wonderful vacation enjoyed by all of us. The minor down sides: rocky beach, damp smell in the room, better lighting for make up mirror needed, 4 hours + time it took for the "not a time share" sales meeting. Would definitely recommend and return!

Room Tip: Swim out rooms in the Prefered tower were great!
4  Thank Heidi O
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Heidi O,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Secrets Vallarta Bay. It was our pleasure hosting you and your family on your first visit to our beautiful city of Puerto Vallarta and our unforgettable Mexico but above that thank you for the honor in having chosen us for your first Secrets experience. We are very happy to know that our staff, restaurants, amenities and facilities exceeded your expectations. Our impeccable areas are very inviting for relaxing and enjoying top shelf libations in the most impeccable way. It pleases us much to know that you indulged in our world class Spa and experienced our state of the art Hydrotherapy circuit and allowed yourself to be pampered in the hands of a skilled masseuse.

We truly appreciate your feedback. Know that we will be working on the observations kindly mentioned look forward to your input on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you do not want peace and quiet and relaxation while on vacation, then this place is for you. We chose Secrets because it sounded like it would be quiet. Adults only - no kids. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. I raised 5 children. I just don't want to necessarily listen to "Marco Polo" in the pool while I'm on vacation. We were looking forward to some peace and quiet. I will preface this review by saying that we usually stay at one of the top three resorts in Nuevo Vallarta - Villa La Estancia, Grand Velas, or Marival Residences. All three are 4 to 5 star resorts. And while Secrets has some good qualities and excellent potential, it is their policies that are holding them back. This is 3 star resort masqueraded as something more. Do not be fooled.
Check-in was promising: champagne upon arrival was a very nice touch. Check-in process went very quickly and smoothly. I explained that this vacation was a special occasion (birthday and anniversary), and that we'd a rough year. We would love a quiet room on the highest floor possible. Slid him a $20, and he gave us top floor center, ocean front. Wow. Thank you. No problem so far. After check-in, however, they pass you on to a guy who explains the "coupons" they are giving you and then he high pressures you to attend a 90 minute "informational" breakfast (which I heard from other guests is actually 4 hours).We were not interested in time-share or club membership so we declined and were off to our room but felt that too much valuable time had been wasted. They should ask you straight up front, "Are you interested in our vacation club?" Yes or no - no time wasted. The first of sour tastes.
The room was spectacular. Top floor, spacious, great view, well appointed, great shower, jetted tub, comfortable bed. The only problem is its lack of soundproofing. On the positive side, you can hear the ocean surf even through your closed doors- on the negative side there is a sort of garbage dump of a lot (down below right outside your door) where a rooster crows starting at about 3:00 AM until about 10:00. There are also dogs that bark a lot in the middle of the night. All night. You can also hear the comings and goings of guests on your floor, doors slamming, suitcases rolling, etc... So if you are a light sleeper, it's a problem.
First morning we were there, we went to breakfast at the Market Cafe. It is a large nice looking buffet. Service is great but the food in the chaffing dishes were cold. The cream cheese and the brie tasted spoiled so I avoided all cheeses. The "butter" tasted artificial. There is an omelette station where you can get made to order omelettes, however I was concerned as the gal making them would handle eggs and then dig into the cheese with her bare hands. This may be the norm in Mexico or perhaps just at this resort. Food handlers do not wear gloves and I know way too much about bacteria and food-borne illnesses to be comfortable with this practice. That being said, the omelettes were tasty and at least they were hot. The baked goods (home-made, thick sliced bread that made great toast and mini-pastries) were also exceptional. In the end, this is a buffet and I don't expect a lot from a buffet. It was fine. Actually, room-service breakfast was much better. And hot.
After breakfast we went to the pool. In truth, the reason we needed this vacation so badly was that we had both had an incredibly stressful year. We were looking forward to lying by a pool, listening to the surf, reading a book, relaxing, napping, etc. We really needed some peace and quiet and down-time... maybe a little soft music playing in the background. To our surprise, every lounge chair had been "reserved" but with no one in them. I learned quickly that you have to get up pretty early in the morning if you want a good spot. Part of the problem is that there are two small pools instead of one large, meandering pool. And much of the pool area is in the shade a good part of the day or all day because of the resort design and building placement. If you enjoy lying in the shade staring at the back of another lounge chair, then this won't be a problem for you. The resorts we typically stay at do not allow this "reserve your chair with towel" policy so this was disappointing. I complained without resolution. When we finally found a spot, out came a giant speaker blaring club music so loud you could hardly think or converse. I went to the person behind the counter and asked them if they could turn it down a little. No. It was for aqua aerobics. Then came the guy shouting at he top of his lungs trying to elicit guests for said aqua aerobics. They wander throughout the entire pool area shouting the announcement of "Water Exercise! Aqua Aerobics!" The music blared on for more than an hour while one person participated in the class (this is daily from 12:00 to 1:00). We moved down to the other pool only to endure ping-pong behind our chairs. Then we moved to the beach area, where we were approached by several dozen beach vendors (I don't blame the beach vendors... I know this is how they make their living. But honestly, I just wanted some peace and quiet). The next day I went to down to the pool at 8:30 to reserve our place in the sun but it was the same story - all the chairs were already taken. The next day I went down at 7:30 AM and the same thing. So the rest of the vacation I got up at 6:00 AM to reserve a decent spot by the pool. This was aggravating. By third day, I was so sleep deprived and stressed out and frustrated by the shouting and blaring music, all I could do was cry. My nerves were shot and my coping skills were gone. When I complained about the noise, shouting, and loud music by the pool, the only thing that the very kind front desk manager could do was give me some earplugs. Unfortunately, they didn't work. I asked if there was another room somewhere with sun and it's own little pool just to get away from the noise. "I'll pay anything for some quiet", but I was told no.
Mornings are pleasant by the pool until about 11:00. The music is soft and smooth jazzy remix style. Then from 11:00 am until about 4:00, there is non-stop shouting, activities. The music is louder and it's a strange mix - everything from Oldies to Heavy Metal to Country. Every hour, there is a different "activity". It's like camp. Or a Carnival Cruise. The activity guys shout at the top of their lungs. They roam through the chairs and try to solicit you. They scream Bingo numbers so that the entire area at both pools can hear but there were only three people playing Bingo. Bingo, water polo, volleyball, aerobics. It doesn't end. Hollering and shouting. Is it really necessary so that everyone at BOTH pools can hear? I understand that there are people who love to be entertained every minute of the day. There are people who like to get drunk and disorderly and yell and shout. I get that. We just want to relax. Here's a tip to the management; tell the activity team to pipe down, turn down the volume and keep the "activities" to one pool. If guests want to participate, they can go to the activity pool. For guests who want quiet - there should be somewhere to go - a predictably peaceful, quiet place without noise, blaring music, games, and solicitation. One quiet pool - one activity pool. Oh, and by the way, keep the ping-ping table in one spot. Everyday it seemed to move around. And when I politely asked the activity "director" if there was a schedule or if I could know where it was going to be so I could avoid it, he stood with his hands on hips and aggressively barked "What's you point? What's your point?" with a scowl on his face. He was aggressive and rude. In the end, we finally went over to the family side, Now Amber, to use their pool. Turns out families with children are quieter and much better behaved than the "adults" at Secrets.
The food at Oceana was very good and we loved dining al fresco next to the ocean. The other restaurants are all indoors and men are supposed to wear long pants. Even the Italian place which is a dressed up Chucky Cheese pizza parlor with vinyl flooring. Long pants? Really? The French restaurant food was pretty good but not super great quality. The poolside grill was sketchy. I would recommend getting food right when it comes out. Food sits for hours in chaffing dishes that do not keep the food at a safe temperature and I saw a bowl of mayonnaise inside the fish chaffing dish. Yikes. And again, no gloves on the food handlers. Eat at your own risk. The day after we got home, my husband became violently ill.
In conclusion, the resort has some great qualities and a lot of potential - spotlessly clean, a spectacular lobby bar with a to-die-for view, but then we witnessed two rather burly men wrestling. Yes, wrestling. In the lobby. Service was top-notch, extremely gracious and always with a smile - truly 5 star. And yes, we did tip generously. They work hard and we appreciate it. Generally, the food was just okay to very good. Overall, food presentation was fantastic. The rooms are beautiful - but noisy. I can overlook a lot, but the poolside policies, shenanigans, and noise are a deal breaker for us. If you like noise and non-stop activities, this might be a great place for you. If you're looking for peace and quiet, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want a particular floor or view, slip the guy a tip. 15th floor, center was a knock out view.
6  Thank Lisa B
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Hello LWsGirl,

We thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with our readers and regret to know we did not meet your expectations. As it is well known Secrets Vallarta Bay & Now Amber are two independent resorts which are tactfully separated & are fitted with sound absorbing ornamentation which promotes the waves and the ambient music. We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention so that we can take a closer look.

When guests arrive they are offered the opportunity to join the Unlimited Vacation Club and earn free nights at a wide variety of luxurious resorts. No guests are ever coerced into participating and may decline without further comment at any time.

Secrets Vallarta Bay offers a wide variety of gourmet restaurants which use local, fresh ingredients. Butter made with local high quality ingredients may not taste the same as it does in a different county. Our guests can rest easy and immerse in the epicurean delicacies.

Unlimited Luxury means No bracelet, No towel cards, No restaurant reservations and naturally NO lounge chair reservations. Secrets Vallarta Bay offers different areas where you can relax, perhaps read a book or just admire the beauty of the pacific while we serve you top shelf libations. These spots are; the familiar lounge chairs, the canopy beds can be found in two separate locations and comfortable hammocks located behind the Terraza la Vista. We welcome you to inquire with your concierge if you need assistance in locating there areas. We understand how important it is that you feel rested and renewed, when our guests enjoy the beach our security staff keeps the vendors away and are only allowed close when a guest beckons them.

Our entertainment schedule is easily accessible through many venues for our guests’ convenience. It may be accessed by procuring a printed Sundial from your concierge or receptionist, it can be seen on TV screens by Barefoot Grille in the common areas and your smart phone through Secrets Vallarta Bay’s Unlimited Connectivity APP, and lastly our housekeeping takes care to leave one for you during turndown service so that you may plan your next day.

Our resort is one of the best on Puerto Vallarta, we are known for our serene, romantic and luxurious but environment. We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations and hope to have an opportunity in the near future to welcome you back.

All the best from Secrets Vallarta Bay,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We just returned from 19 glorious days at SVB! What a special trip! Firstly we want to thank Mr. Jesus Vargas, Raul, Rulo and the HR team for assisting us with our "special project" Thanks go out Jill, Brett and Shirley from Toronto and Vic and Junko from Vancouver for contributing.

I won't repeat what others have passed along about the rooms and layout of the resort, other than to say a lot of thought went into it and the rooms have the nicest layouts of previous Secrets.

A typical day for us is breakfast at Market Café where you will meet the most dedicated staff, Geraldo, Jose, Carlos, Humberto, Ivan, Caesar, Ricardo and Heriberto who will take care of all your special wants and needs and they never forget! This was also our favourite place for lunch.

After planting ourselves at the pool we would always be greeted with a Buenos Dias by Gustavo, Mario and Omar who are always watching to make sure you have everything you need. Thanks guys for the French fry delivery every day.

In the preferred building Raul is amazing and along with Rocia would take care of any special requests each day. Bartenders Noe, Daniel and Eduardo take extra care in remembering what your favourite drinks are.

With regards to dinner we tried Seaside and the Market Café once for dinner and it was okay, Himitsu twice which we enjoyed. By far our favourite was Bordeaux, going there 13 times for dinner. Alberto, the Maitre D is truly a treasure and asset to the resort. He is welcoming and would greet everyone whether at the front or come by their table. We liked to sit in Martin's section as he was so professional and took care in making sure you were enjoying everything.

We did take a walk into the Melacon with our special tour guide, Yoanna. Other than that we simply like to relax, read and distress on vacation. We also did a bit of beach shopping.

The weather was perfect for the first 16 days but began to deteriorate heading towards New Years, which was uncharacteristic for PV at this time of year. The entertainment staff does a great job of making sure you don't get bored and there is plenty of indoor activities.

We got to know so many people, vacationing from all over Canada and the US, and we never heard any complaints. The staff at SVB are so accommodating and are there to make sure you are having a great time. We are booked for 14 days in April 2014 and can't wait. We wouldn't consider going anywhere else in PV. When we first visited SVB in April of 2013 on it's one year anniversary, I said that SVB will become the #1 resort in PV and I can see that day coming soon.

With regards to tipping, yes it is all inclusive, but once you see how hard the wait staff work to please you, you will want to make sure you have some extra $'s on you. I equate it to going to Las Vegas, where you get comped cocktails. You wouldn't even think of not giving the waitress a tip. We would typically tip $1 or $2 at breakfast and lunch, every few rounds by the pool and $5 or $10 at dinner depending. (or in the case of 2 dinners, we didn't tip at all)

Again, I tried not to be repetitive of what's already been said, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Once again to SVB, gracias for making another Christmas so wonderful.

9  Thank canuck888

Canuck888

Thank you for choosing out beautiful resort as your host for your Christmas celebration and for gracing us with your second visit. Our festivities could not have been as exciting and memorable without guests like you.

It is very rewarding to know that every aspect and different department staff of Secrets Vallarta Bay met your every need and expectation. Our high quality standard and equally dedicated staff made this possible. Thank you for giving credit to the staff members who went above and beyond for you, their efforts will be happily recognized and will inspire us to do even better for all of our guests. It is an honor to be your resort of preference when visiting Puerto Vallarta and look forward to welcoming you back many times. Welcome to the Secrets family!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I visited Secrets Vallarta Bay in early November – and everything about our trip exceeded our expectations.

Our room was amazing, the restaurants were great, and the staff was friendly and always available to answer any questions we had.

Check in/Vacation Club – yes, they offer a vacation club breakfast meeting at check in. If you are interested in the giveaways offered for attending, or if you want to meet some really nice people, share breakfast, and get a private tour of some of the other rooms this may be for you. There is almost more pressure to attend the informational meeting than to purchase when you are there. If you do not see value, do not join - no hard feelings.

Rooms – If you need different pillows, missed your turn down service, or have any questions or concerns, all you have to do is call. We wanted for nothing during our stay – great service. Our room was clean, comfortable, and the view was great.

Preferred Club or No Preferred Club – We enjoyed the snacks and private bar, but this would not make or break a great experience for us upon our next return. If the room ends up there, great, we will enjoy the benefits. Overall, the staff (Raul) were all amazing, and have assisted us in our next booking (March 2014).

Food – Plenty of options, great service, and if you just want to hang out in your room just call room service. Honestly, I was very surprised by the high quality of food (we travel a lot and are what I would call “definitive in our tastes and expectations”, others may call it picky).

Accesses to town – Cab rides are low in cost and easy to get. We also walked quite a bit out and about by the resort, and it was easy and safe.

What to bring – Several swim suits, cash for tipping (seriously, if someone deserves it, tip them. We tipped as if we were in the US traveling – regardless of cost of living, I am paying for a cost of service. But I never got the impression that it was ever expected), resort wear for evening dining, and get ready to relax.

What room category – determine what you want. If you want to hangout by the pool, a JR Suite Garden View may meet your needs. If you want to be able to jump from your room, to a semi private pool, get a swim out (less sun on your patio, but you have lounge chairs and semi private pool access). If you want to have a large sun deck that is private, so you could get some sun and lounge without having to go to the pool, go for an oceanfront master suite. If you have questions, call the concierge and they can help your pick the right room.

As a very busy couple, with four small children, this has become our new favorite destination for fun in the sun. 2nd trip is already booked – four months after the return from the last one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank K8eAK

K8eAK,

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your recent experience at Secrets Vallarta Bay and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us and our readers.

Our Preferred Club and the upgraded amenities, detailed service and all around pampering takes a whole new meaning to customer service. We only use the freshest ingredients in our gourmet restaurants and have taken great care to ensure our facilities complement your mood and meet your needs wether it be relaxing by the beach, drink at the lobby bar or quality time in your suite.

We hope other readers enjoy your informative review as much as we did. It was our pleasure hosting you and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

December 20 -27, 2013 - We booked through Sunwing as they had a direct flight from our City(Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada)
This Resort was great, from the food, beach, pool, service, housekeeping, etc. to the nightly bed turn down service was great!

The one Negative thing that we went through was being approached by a VIP Rep. They issued our $200.00 credit vouchers and wanted us to attend a 1.5 hour presentation and tour of the Resort the next morning. The next morning we met the Rep in the lobby and he took us to meet the person that we would be with for the next 1.5 hours. We found out that she was a sales rep for Unlimited Vacations / AM Resorts, and she asked for our ID and to see a major credit card. I refused to show my credit card. I told her we were misled on the reasons of the presentation by the VIP rep and this seamed like a Scam to me, I got up and walked away at that point! During that afternoon and the next day, we were harassed to attend the presentation and offered more vouchers or gifts! Later we heard from other Resort guests that went to the presentation, that the fees to join were $25,000.00 plus!
We refused to attend and told him(VIP Supervisor) it was a Scam to buy a Membership / Timeshare in Unlimited Vacations / AM Resorts! We lost about 1 days Vacation due to this Harassment in total!
We will be also informing Sunwing about this Negative Experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gary K
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I trylu enjoyed my stay at Secrets Vallarta Bay! It was one of my daddy getaways and I couldn't have done better. The staff was amazing and helpful. Everyone I encountered bent over backwards to help. The food was very good Try the Japanese Steakhouse. Do not over look the Market for dinner. It is the spot for morning breakfast but at night the food was outstanding. You must do the spa. The hydro therapy was incredible. The pool and the beach area were top notch.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Travlinguy517
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Travlinguy517,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Secrets Vallarta Bay. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your recent Unlimited Luxury experience at Secrets Vallarta Bay. Our staff is one of the best in the city. We regret that Market was not to your liking but happy our wide variety of Gourmet restaurants met your expectations and that you indulged in our world class Spa. It was our pleasure having you and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Dec 6 - 13, 2013. Spouse & I a wonderful time at this resort. Staff were exceptional. Chuey from the Enterainment Team, Carlos, Aldo Alberto & Alondra from the French a la carte were exceptional. Food was very good at this resort. Especially enjoyed when they cooked lunches on the pool deck. Louis, from the pool wait staff never forgot a drink & always remembered what you were drinking. Resort was very clean & well maintained. We even got to take part in a new born baby sea turtle release. We only went to the nightly entertainment once and it was good. All the other times we socialized in the lobby bar. Would definitely return to this resort.

3  Thank 2013JJK2013

Greetings 2013JJK2013!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your recent Secrets Vallarta experience. It is very rewarding to know the employees kindly named above, partnered with support from the remaining staff made your stay more memorable.

It also thrills us to have had you join in the inspiring experience of releasing baby sea turtles into our beautiful Pacific. Lastly we love that our gourmet restaurants and top shelf drinks were to your liking, it was a pleasure having you and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!