“gluten free at secrets”

GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“gluten free at secrets”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

we just got back from Puerto Vallarta last night after spending the week of nov 17-24/13.
+30 hot, humid and sunny. this is the first all-inclusive I have tried since being diagnosed with celiac 2 years ago, because I was leery about the whole no control over my food issues. we stayed at the secrets Vallarta bay resort in Puerto Vallarta. I emailed back and forth with resort customer service and was assured by violeta that they deal all the time with food allergies.
when we arrived I was given a gluten free card by the concierge that i was to show our waiters in all the restaurants. most of the waiters knew what i could not eat off of the menus and if they were not sure they would take my card back to the chef and check.
i was treated very well and had no problems the week we were there. the french restaurant was amazing we dined there on our first and on our last night. carlos our table captain and his wonderful crew found me excellent gluten free bread for our meal and on our last night even found me a gluten free crème brule for desert. I could have eaten at the French restaurant every night. the food and the service were by far the best at the resort.
the Italian restaurant was only very good. we dined there twice the first evening with another couple we had met down there. the food was quite good and so was the service. the second time it was just my wife and I and we were seated in an out of the way spot and the service was lacking, maybe a 4 out of 5.
the Asian restaurant had only one salad and one entrée that as a celiac I could eat, the service was ok but not up to our expectations, 3.5 out of 5.
we did not try the Japanese, which is the only restaurant that requires a reservation, because the dinner was cooked in front of the group at the table and I was not sure how I would be able to handle it being gluten free, we heard good reviews of it though.
lunches were spent at either the oceana seafood restaurant by the pool or at the marketplace buffet up by the hotel. both were casual and very enjoyable.
the first morning we had a breakfast buffet at the marketplace. when the matre de found out I was celiac he personally gave me a tour of the entire buffet, omelet station, quesada station and the usual breakfast buffet selections. he told me what was safe for me to and what wasn't, if he was not sure he called over one of the chefs to check.
the secrets side of the resort is adult only and the now side is family oriented if you are travelling with kids.
we went downtown and felt very safe, i did not eat down there so i can’t comment on the restaurants. we did a few excursions and i was careful what i ate. one of the excursions was “rhythms of the night” where we took a catamaran to a private island for a candle light dinner and a show “think circ de sole meets the jungle”. i found one of the chefs when we got there and showed him my own gf travel card translated into spanish and he walked me through the buffet showing me what i could and couldn’t eat, i was very impressed and felt safe and relieved about the food. our sever at the marketplace, carlos and sometimes ricardo, were very friendly and helpful. at our last breakfast I told carlos we were leaving and he told us not to leave and he disappeared for 5 minutes. he came back with a muffin sized chocolate cake on a white plate that was decorated with chocolate drawings and he had written "have a good trip home" in chocolate, it was beautiful. sadly we had already packed the camera because that would have been my picture of the trip.
one afternoon I got to put on a silly little chef hat and tour all the kitchen facilities at the resort. it was a very large facility, very informative and absolutely spotless. being celiac I can be a little anal about food cleanliness and cross contamination. after the tour I was quite impressed.
i would rate the resort as 4. 5 out of 5 as the asian restaurant was a disappointment for my wife and I.
on a couple of days our rooms were not cleaned until late in the day and they also missed the turndown service a couple of times.
if i can pry the gf bread recipe from yoana, the friendliest, most helpful and apologetic concierge I have ever met, i will change my rating to a 5 out of 5. i could have eaten just a loaf of the bread with butter and not even ordered off the menu.
if anyone wants to hire me to take them down and guide them through the around, let me know. lol.

my wife and I will definitely be back, maybe next year we will try the now family side if our grandson is old enough to travel with us.

paul

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 57paul57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
  • Korean first
pittsburgh, pennsylvania
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked at Now Amber but on arrival was told we where booked on the Secrets side. As I had stayed at other Secrets Resorts which were mostly honeymooners/couples ( and I was traveling with my mother) I was concerned. Was informed that they had a large group of University students at Now Amber who were causing some problems so they moved us. It worked out well. We had a room on the 11th floor with a great view. The room was large and clean.
The food was great at all the restaurants, breakfast buffets were generally the same daily but had a lot of choices. Oceana has great shrimp and fish for lunch and is relaxing. Nouveau was my favorite with wonderful mussels and rack of lamb. My mother loved Capers, the Italian restaurant and the filet was amazing. We had Mexican at El Patio at Dreams PV Resort, Secrets made the reservations and we took a taxi over. I had stayed at Dreams last year and I love El Patio!
I don't feel the preferred tower at Secrets is worth the extra cost. We had free internet and free calls from the room to the US. I would recommend staying in the higher rooms for the view. But remember the beach and water are nothing like the Caribbean!
I would now like to recognize some of the people who made our stay wonderful:
Reception: Marilyn

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank PennsylvaniaOnthego
Calgary, AB.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our third time at this Secrets resort, we are very familiar with the Secrets chain, also have stayed at Maroma, St. James, Huatulco.
During this stay their was a group of 10 of us. For the most part service was excellent. especially pool and beach service, Omar your the Best!! Food and Drink always good.
It would be nice If the lobby bar had more lively music for in the evenings. The Now Amber Side seem to get the better live music. Also as many reviews have said I agree lighting in vanity area poor. I would not hesitate to stay at this resort again for a 4th time!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank vme
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We are both in our fifties (behaving like 30-year-olds) who have visited numerous all-inclusives in our day. Hands down, this has been the best so far! Spotlessly clean, well appointed and extremely efficient, we look forward to going back (we rarely go to a single spot twice). Two features were what makes this place stand out above the rest: 1) Friendliest, best trained staff imaginable, and 2) Just crazy-good food!

A few tips: Spend the extra few bucks to move up to "preferred club", it will give you access to free top-quality liquor, even better checkin checkout, all day snacks in your lobby, and more. Also, if you want a real treat, upgrade to a swim-in swim-out room, with your own private pool right at your balcony door! The only issue with these swim-outs, is that they are not in full sun.
Don't be afraid to wander off the grounds into town. It's a five minute ride away and you will not be disappointed.

Two minor criticisms:
1) A "Now" family hotel is attached adjacent to the Secrets hotel, so occasionally some loud teenager noise may drift over, but no biggie. Stick your kids on that side and enjoy some peace.
2) If you are looking for a pristine soft-sand beach and clear water, you are better off on the Caribbean side of Mexico. The Pacific tends to be brown and pebbly.

Special thanks to Omar, who made us feel like royalty while on the beach and around the pool. Thanks to Octavio for managing one of the best tasting kitchens imaginable. Raoul and Jesse at front desk took care of all of our fussiness. Ellisia for great personal attention! BEST STAFF YOU CAN FIND!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jimmy G
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel is wonderful, clean. Always a watchful eye on patrons coming and going. The only pet peeve we had as a group is that the music lacked, around the swim up bar( was none) allot of lounge music around entire pool. Had asked if they might change to something a little more toe tapping. They tried 3 - 4 songs and went back to lounge music. The secrets hotels I have been to before always have been fun, this one I found very calm well almost boring. Don't get me wrong the staff are amazing, rooms are lovely just found the days lacked fun around the pool area had to leave to go town to change up to something a little more lively.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a de- humidifier in your room. Love the humidity, just not in my room. Makes...