“Beautifully maintained”

GreenLeadersGold level
North Vancouver, Canada
“Beautifully maintained”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a week to celebrate our 40th anniversary. The hotel has been beautifully designed; all lobby, interior public areas and restaurants as well as the immaculate grounds and sparkling pools. We stayed in the junior ocean view suite and it met our needs except for the ad hoc maid service. Most days the room was not serviced until 6 p.m.
The restaurants were good. Of note was the very excellent 4 piece mariachi band in the Mexican restaurant (and we've heard dozens on previous trips). The service in all the restaurants was exceptional. The beach/pool service was not as good as Dreams Villamagna.
All in all a very relaxing, enjoyable vacation. The beds and bedding are wonderful.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,239)
  • Korean first
richland, washington
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We recently stayed at secrets Vallarta bay for our 5 year wedding anniversary. We have stayed at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun two previous times, and so of course we found ourselves comparing the two.
Overall, we thought the service at Vallarta Bay was a little lacking. We had to request several times before we got our mini bar refilled. Eventually they refilled it though (2 days later?)
The room service food was good, very flavorful, but small and simple. I ordered the carne asada and it came with one dollop of guac, that's it. Oh well, I like guac.

The weather was very good, storms almost every night, and by the next morning it would be sunny and hot. Perfect.

Room service was very very good, as it was as well at Secrets Capri. The maids scrubbed that room spic and span every day. I even made requests that our room be cleaned at a certain time on a couple of occasions, and they honored this request. The minibar was the only thing lacking, but really if we were dying for something to drink, we had room service (very prompt every time) or we could walk down to the bar. No big deal.

The rooms were very nice, and spacious. We only stayed in the deluxe this time, whereas we stayed in the junior suite at Secrets Capri the other two times. I have to tell you that I did miss the extra couch and table, especially when we had room service meals delivered.

Pool area was great, the servers are always coming around and it didn't take too long to get anything you ordered. No problems getting chairs around the pool or on beach, any time of day.

We stayed on the fifth floor, which I didn't really like. The view was fabulous (although all rooms are ocean view), but it took too long to get to our room for things! Capri was smaller and we were on the first floor, so we could get to our room in a snap. One thing I thought was great at Vallarta is that all first floor rooms are swim out! We may try this next time.

We are beach volleyball enthusiasts, but only got to play the first 3 days. The last few days the surf was so big that it washed 50% of the beach away! No more volleyball....

I used the gym everyday. It was alright. Sometimes I had to wait to use the treadmill, and weights machines are lacking, they could use a bigger variety.

Spa appointment was good. Beautiful water therapy circuit, and my 80 min massage was a--m--a--z--I--n--g. WAYYYYYYY too expensive, though. $130? There is a place right outside the hotel gates that gives hour long massages for $20 American. My husband took advantage and said it was great.

The Malecon is the place to shop. Take a taxi there (10 minutes, $6.00 American), and eat at the Oceanside "The Blue Shrimp" , great ceviche! We took a water taxi back to the hotel ($20 for both of us) very scenic, takes about 15 minutes. If the surf is too big they won't be able to get you to the beach though, so only if the ocean is calm :-)

All of the restaurants were good, I think we liked the French one, Bordeaux, the best. It was delish!

We had a great vacation. This is a good hotel, we just liked Capri better. Next on our list is dreams Tulum, so until then!!

Room Tip: If a view is not your top priority, get a swim out. For convenience, get a swim out. All rooms are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank deliciairene
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We spent 6 days in the resort with our daughters. From the minute we arrived we could not have been happier. Pleasant, helpful staff took care of our check-in and luggage was promptly delivered to our rooms. The resort is terrific - great standard of accommodation, comfortable beds and fantastic food choices in a variety of speciality restaurants at no additional cost. The pool area is spotless and attentive, but not intrusive waiting staff ensure that you are never short of a drink. There is a full entertainment program at the hotel and our group played volleyball, did a kayak trip and yoga on the beach - again without any additional fee. The resort has great 'free' internet accessibility and is close to the downtown area if you feel the need to leave your luxurious surroundings. We received $200 per room resort vouchers but did not use them as spa treatments were limited using them and would have incurred an extra cost.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and did not have a glass fronted balcony unlike the rest of the property...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Baylander
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I were looking to go some place to relax and after much planning and searching chose this resort. This was other second time to Mexico and previously we had stayed with Secrets in Cancun. This resort is amazing with beautiful sun sets and great food. Although Cancun has better beaches because the ones in Vallarta are rather rocky with small stones not pebbles but stones. It was still a great time. The staff is great and will do anything to male you comfortable. We would certainly stay at this place again or at one of their sister hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have always been skeptical of all-inclusive resorts. I assumed they were loud, crowded, trashy and had terrible food. Secrets Vallarta Bay proved me wrong, and I am thankful to have been proven wrong for once!

We just wanted a quick, romantic getaway for Labor Day, so I decided this would be a perfect chance to try an all-inclusive and see if it would be an experience we might enjoy repeating. After a grueling day at work, we hopped on a flight to Mexico City and then on to Puerto Vallarta, not arriving until very late Friday night. Granted, I was a bit exhausted from the day and the travel, but I thought that the check-in attendant was quite rude. This was my only complaint for the remainder of the stay. In all fairness, he did not do anything totally eggregious, but I found his tone and demeanor to be less than professional and certainly not what one would expect from a resort that purports to be of this caliber.

The common areas of this hotel are spectacular. They have done an amazing design job, and it would take a very critical person to find any serious flaws with the aesthetics. The lobby is expansive and breath-taking, offering views to the ocean and employing the most gorgeous materials and stone-work. At night, the lights in the lobby subtly change color and offer a quirky but romantic ambience. Oddly enough, I never saw any maintenance staff while we were there, but the common areas were completely clean and immaculately kept. I feel like I have been lucky to have stayed at many nice hotels and resorts, and this one certainly holds its own against all of them. The spa was quite lovely, and the hydrotherapy circuit is highly recommended. I felt like I had already had a massage before I had even had my massage (which was spectacular, by the way). I cannot fully describe how the resort made me feel, but there was something so relaxing and chic about it that you really felt like you had been transported away from all your worries. This resort reminded me of some of the nicer places that I have stayed in Dubai; it is like being in a fantasy and breaking with reality. I loved it.

The pools were also kept clean, and my fears about the "trashy hoi polloi" were unfounded. Yes, there were a few people that made me raise my eyebrows once or twice, but for the most part, I found everyone to be respectful, well-mannered and simply aimed at having a nice, relaxing vacation. It was not a "Spring Break" scene by any means, thankfully. I was also very impressed with the pool service. Jose was the best! Yes, drinks are watered down, but I think that is probably more due to liability concerns rather than them trying to be cheap. Thinking about how long people stay in the pool/by the beach, if they were to serve full-strength drinks, you would probably have people be a lot drunker, much sooner than they were. That could result in falls, broken bones, etc. I do not have any problem with them protecting both themselves and their guests in this manner. Alternatively, if this is a huge issue for you, just order beer or wine. Kind of hard to tamper with that! Another thing that I thought was very charming about the pool area was the grilling station. Those burgers were some of the best burgers that I have ever had!

Now, to the food: the food was outstanding. I figured it would all be bland, buffet-style food which had been prepared in bulk to serve. I could not have been more wrong. The quality of the food at breakfast was outstanding, as was the food for lunch and dinner. We ate at Oceana one night and the other night, we ate at the same place we had breakfast (Market Place?? I cannot recall the name). We also ate lunch at Oceana, which was fantastic; I had the shrimp fajitas which were amazing. The ceviche was delicious too. As for dinner, at Oceana, I had the ribeye steak as a test. I thought there would be no way that an all-inclusive could prepare a ribeye worth eating, but wow, was I wrong! That ribeye was cooked to perfection and was one of the best I have had in quite some time. In sum, I thought the food offerings were varied (e.g. Oceana even changed its menu from lunch to dinner), so you could not get bored easily, the quality of the food was fantastic, the service was "white-glove" spectacular and the ambience was romantic and soothing. Job well done!

The room was beautiful and larger than I expected. Very modern, but not off-putting at all. It definitely kept with the style of the resort as a whole. The bed linens were crisp and luxurious, although the bed was a bit firm for my tastes, so I did not sleep very well whilst there. The room layout was functional, and every convenience was at your fingertips. The shower worked amazing and was definitely built for two, so that was nice and romantic. I loved the bath amenities! They smelled amazing, and it was also nice that they included sunblock, which came in handy (and also had a delicious citrus scent). I also thought the balcony was generously-sized for a resort of that magnitude. Although we had the jacuzzi on the balcony, we did not get the chance to try it out! I suppose we will have to make a return visit!

We stayed at the Preferred side of the building, so I do not really know exactly how different the experience is versus the main building, but I would suggest opting for the Preferred side just for the sheer convenience of having the private small bar and the little hors d'oevres throughout the day. The food was delicious!!! We tried the main lobby lounge a couple of times at night and enjoyed it, but sometimes the live music was a bit loud for my taste. Elsa, however, is a huge asset to the resort; she was very prompt, courteous and very professional. What a pleasure it was meeting her.

All in all, I can say that I would highly recommend this resort to others. Great food, great service and beautiful location. Makes for a great short getaway, but I would have loved to have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DCTraveler1979
Los Angeles, California, Usa
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just came back from the Labor Day weekend at this resort. Last year we stayed at the Secrets in Maroma Bay Cancun and loved it. So this time gave another sister hotel another shot at it. We were not disappointed. They have the same excellent service, food quality and restaurants. Although I do prefer the Cancun one, but since its too far from LA this one will do. Being adult only was one of the best features as well. It is located in downtown so if you want to walk out of resort to buy something its very convenient.

Room Tip: Pay extra for upgrade to private club, its worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M0M076
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place is great! The grounds are amazing and the food is the best. My only complaint was the speed of service at the bar and the breakfast buffet.

Side tip, the two ladies on the beach--Norma and Vicki will give you a massage for $30/hour per person and can do side by side couples massage right on the beach!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Marina B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & ...
#7 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!