“Let's Do It Again!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Let's Do It Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Pampered, Feeling of Royalty, Catered to our every needs, Never lacked anything...Romantic, Tranquil, Comfort, Relaxation, Where every guest are treated as a King or Queen.... Fun, passion igniting, endless food options, burning desire to return. This is how I would describe this place and this is why we returned for our 1st year anniversary along with the offer of 2 nights free on our return. We booked as preferred guest in the secret adults only side of the sister resort "Now" that host families. Some may say that preferred is not worth the extra cash but will feel it was and would only stay preferred. Now if it doesn't fit in your budget it's not necessary because it doesn't in anyway effect the royal service and pampering you will receive on any level as guest on the Adult Secret side. 7 restaurants so if you don't like one there is sure to be 2 or 3 you will love. Peak season the service at the restaurants will be slow and seem understaffed but your on vacation just relax get a drink while you wait and don't allow the moments to be robbed. My favorite was the Japanese their shrimp tempura is to die for. But it can be slow there if busy. I counted 6 pools one swim up bar where we spent most of our time meeting great people and getting happy... The beach is adjacent to the pool (stand corrected 7 pools) if you are a beach water lover this isn't the place for you but if you love the sand, beach volley ball or just relaxing on a lazy chair on the beach you will love it. There will be local sellers of goods on the beach but they are never over aggressive. Para-sailing, Jet Skies, water sports are all right there on the resorts beach offered by independent owners. The lobby lounge area is gorgeous and one of the most romantic sit off and take in the sun set or coast line views on the resort, both sides. (The "Now" side offer similar obeisance and views from their lobby which "Secrets" guest has free access to all the entire resort as well) The service, bellhops, waiters, bartenders, guest services are everywhere and they all serve you with a smile and never expect anything in exchange but a smile in return yet not conditional for their smile. The resort Spa is first class although not inexpensive but the amenities are something out of the rich and famous. Preferred guest have free access to the spa facilities. (might be all levels of secret guest, don't quote me on that one) Tip on massages....4 doors down the left side as you exit the resort is a spa where my wife and I for $50 U.S. (total for both massages) received one of the best massages and the facilities were clean and inviting. Although not required or suggested we did tip those we felt went above & beyond for us which were a few. Unless you are a perfectionist you will love this place....Okay the Cons: July is their rainy season and their drainage system although better than last year still floods some areas at times. Could use some more current and better organize activities and their Club "Desire" play programed video music which is limited and redundant. They need a traditional DJ with the ability to mix it up without limits to programed video's. The club is a really nice set up but they need host to get the crowd going. Because of the music limited selection and lack of host it's hit or miss. They do have non tobacco Hookah there if you are into that at a very reasonable cost. They tend to be understaffed at the restaurants and 24 hour room service staff which can sometimes be an inconvenience. There was an expected rain storm one night so room service was extremely lacking yet they expected the storm and should have had more staff to accommodate expected call volume. Nevertheless they did eventually get around to us...;-). I really don't have any more cons that I can think of. If you want a good spot to sit off by the pool claim your chair early although there was plenty to go around but the best spots went quickly, namely in front of the pool near the bar or the beach side. The swim out rooms at the preferred where worth the extra cost to us we were able to enjoy the sites from there and get waiters from the pool area to serve us drinks.. Awesome!
WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!! I know this was long but hopefully it was helpful. Oh, avoid the sales tour it doesn't make dollars and sense and it's all of 90 mins plus... And the freebee's aren't worth it unless they are offering free night to return and you want to return but be sure of the limitations of all offers.

Room Tip: We found that ground level swim outs closer to the pool offer the best view and keep you in the mix...
1 Thank Richard B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We went to Secrets Vallarta Bay to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I had been in touch with the resort before we even got there. When we arrived, we were taken to the Preferred Reception Desk (it was our anniversary after all) and they had already checked us in. We were given our keys and provided with information we would need about how the resort worked. Yes, we were given our free coupons (that we didn't use) but we told them that we weren't interested in their vacation club. No problem there.

We were taken up to our room on the 5th floor of the Preferred Building. When we got to our room, they had put a banner on our door saying "Happy Anniversary". Inside was a bottle of Champagne and the bath tub was filled with water and rose petals. What a way to start our vacation.

The room was what we were looking for. I have never been in a resort where you could open the doors wide and the air conditioner stayed on. That was the best place to be in the late afternoon. Me on my large purple lounger in our room in front of the open doors watching the ocean and just relaxing. Awesome.

Restaurants were really good. With the exception of the Cafe on the family side, there was no "buffet" meals except breakfast. All the restaurants were "A La Carte". It made for a wonderful mean experience. We did the Japanese Hibache meal. The chef made a great experience there. Our favorite was the Italian restaurant. But over all, they were really good.

The swim up bartender Juan Valdez was a lot of fun. He remembered what you drank and if you wanted something different, you just had to say, surprise me. And he did. His back up bartenders were all wonderful as well. The waiters around the pool and on the beach were a lot of fun. You really didn't have to go and get your own drink if you didn't want to.

We went in June so it was in a low season. Some resorts shut down restaurants during this time but Secrets kept everything open. We had access to all the same things that you would during their high season.

We didn't use the spa because we had read about a massage place literally right outside the gates to the resort. Turn left and it is right there. It is called Healing Hands and you could get a massage for $25 USD. I went twice and it was awesome.

The staff at Secrets Vallarta Bay were all fantastic. If you needed something, they would get it for you. Everyone always had a smile on their faces and a Hola.

We will definitely be going back there next year.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have great views. Preferred Rooms have larger balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank markushnir
Holly Springs, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an amazing week at this resort. We have been to two other all-inclusive vacations (Sandals Grand Bahamian and El Dorado Royale). We do want to and would return to Secrets Puerto Vallarta if we decide to vacation in Puerto Vallarta again in the future!

When searching for our vacation destination for this trip, I spent so much time scouring Trip Advisor, the AAA site, and websites of couples-only all-inclusive resorts trying to find the perfect match of reasonable price and exceptional vacation. We decided to try a Secrets resort mostly because we wanted to take advantage of their Vow Renewal Package that is included when you book a preferred level room. We booked the trip through AAA but had them match the price through the Secrets website (which was cheaper than AAA came up with).

The airport was a short distance from the resort (15 minutes), so we entered paradise shortly after landing. Since we stayed in a preferred level room, we had a separate check-in desk and were escorted there quickly and graciously with our luggage take care of expertly. Raul, the preferred concierge, immediately endeared himself to us – he was quick but thorough in explaining everything for our trip and very genuine. Throughout our stay, Raul remembered us, took care of any request we made graciously, and constantly sought to make our experience excellent. We really appreciate the personal touch that Raul had, making sure to get to know his guests and go the extra mile to make their vacation amazing. We arrived before normal check-in time, but our room was ready and we were able to go to it right away. We stayed in a Preferred Junior Suite on the 8th floor (top floor) with an ocean view. All rooms face the ocean, but the higher up rooms probably have a better view. While the newness of this resort definitely makes for a crisp and clean appearance(it’s only a little over a year old we heard), it is clear that those working at this resort take great care to keep the facilities up and I suspect it will still be just as beautiful years from now!

The room was well-designed with modern décor. The bathroom had a spa-like feel with a large rain shower, Jacuzzi jetted two-person tub, double-vanity separately-doored toilet, and speakers in the bathroom connected to the tv (we put on the spa-like music channel while getting ready a lot). The bathroom set-up is separated from the bed/living area with curtains that can be drawn or opened and there are lots of lighting options, including some rope lighting that gave a very romantic ambience. The preferred amenities are upgraded according to the website, and they smell heavenly and included a sunscreen (spf 15). The bed was comfortable and linens clean and inviting. The mini-fridge contained lots of bottled options (water, soda, juice, corona) and there were three airplane bottles of liquor a package of peanut M&M’s and a can of Pringles. These were all restocked daily and I felt enough given the extensive room service menu (24/7) and well-stocked preferred bar and buffet of food in the lobby. The Jacuzzi on the balcony was fantastic and cleaned daily as well. The front of the balcony was glass, so we could sit in the Jacuzzi, enjoy a drink, and have a beautiful view of the ocean and resort grounds. The balcony doors can be glass, sheer curtain, light reducing curtain, or screen.

There have been some Trip Advisor posts about dogs and roosters. Neither my husband nor I have difficulty sleeping, so while we did hear the dogs barking and rooster occasionally (more so in the hallway than our room), it didn’t bother us. If you are a light sleeper, maybe just toss in some ear plugs. I wouldn’t let it deter you from booking here, and neither of those sounds is generated on property or controllable at all by the resort.

We ate breakfast at the Market Café (Secrets side buffet) twice, Carnival (Now side buffet) once, and ordered room service breakfast 4 times (breakfast menu runs until 12PM which is GREAT!). The Market Café buffet was better but both were well-stocked and had eggs cooked to order and quesadillas cooked to order. There was plenty of fruit, pastry, bread, cereal, yogurt, American-style breakfast items, and more traditional Mexican options. The room service menu was great, and it included an eggs benedict dish that I fell in love with. Enjoying breakfast in bed or on the balcony with a gorgeous view as a result of room service was delightful. We did seem to have some mix-ups with our room service orders which was only a real bummer one of the days. Twice our order was mixed up such that we received duplicate orders of something we’d ordered only one of. We felt a bit wasteful, but it wasn’t such a big deal. One day, however, we only got one of the two meals we ordered and we didn’t have time for them to prepare and bring up the missing order because of an excursion. While I missed my eggs benedict that morning, the preferred club lobby had good options to get full before heading out. Room service was quick (about 10-20 minutes) except for one day that must’ve been kind of busy (around 50 min).

We enjoyed lunches either at the barefoot grill (some decent grab as you desire options), Oceana, or a light lunch of a salad and small sandwich at the preferred club lounge. Oceana had the best fish tacos and shrimp fajitas! The open-air restaurant tables have nice views of the pool/ocean to enjoy while eating also.

I liked not having to make dinner reservations, as it omitted the need to know what time it was to make sure to get ready in time. For dinner, there were always 4 or so options open and we only had to wait once (15 minutes max with a pager that reached to the bar upstairs where we enjoyed a drink and the sunset….not a bad wait!). Himitsu had a great hibachi style show you could make reservations for. The miso soup was a bit disappointing but everything else was delicious and I really enjoyed the sushi. I was disappointed that Tamarindo didn’t have more dishes that were what I expected, but perhaps it was more gourmet Mexican food than Americanized Mexican food I am used to. The queso/crème soup delicious as was the steak I ordered there. I got over my craving for fajitas just fine ;) I think our entrees may have been forgotten on this evening though, as there was a long delay between our soup and entrée (30 min). We went to Market Café on the evening they advertised Mediterranean cuisine, but again the menu was not what I expected. Capers was pretty good Italian cuisine and had some options like pizza or calzones if you wanted. However, our favorite dinner restaurant was Bordeaux, by leaps and bounds. Our vow renewal dinner there was bliss (lamb and duck) and our second meal there I tried the tuna steak which I will likely dream about for the next few years (hubby got the duck again because he loved it so much). We really enjoyed the service of Juan there as well – he was friendly and attentive. He made both of our dining experiences there so special!

For our vow renewal, we were put in touch with a wedding coordinator (Edith) and officiant (Tamara) for the vow renewal ceremony. These women were amazing! Edith coordinated every detail with ease and was such a kind, genuine person to work with. She would be an excellent person to work with if you were having a legal ceremony at this resort as well! Tamara’s ceremony for us was so beautiful and really tailored to renewing the love and commitment between us. She even got purple sand for our sand ceremony so that we would have a sand momento of our ceremony in our “colors”. Our photographer, Lili, was fun to work with and took some truly amazing photos! Edith arranged for a special dinner at Bordeaux for us after the ceremony where we ate a delicious meal in the intimacy of a table for two in the beautiful wine cellar. The sommelier and our server, Juan, made our dining experience very special with privacy and a special “congratulations” dessert. We returned to the room to find a “happy anniversary” banner on our door, our sand jar and certificate in our room, and a very romantic bubble bath with rose petals drawn (that was still hot!). We were so very appreciative of wonderful surprises, such as a beautiful flower arrangement that was put in our room with a letter from the manager that offered us complimentary hydrotherapy at the spa for our stay (we went 3 times and it was great!) as well as a beautiful corsage and boutonniere that Edith arranged for the ceremony. I would definitely recommend this resort for vow renewal or weddings!

There were lots of great included activities around the resort which we enjoyed. We did an Ocean Kayak Tour (definitely fun!), swam out to the inflatable iceberg you can climb and trampoline anchored in the ocean, and enjoyed a scuba diving intro lesson in the pool (Lisa was great!). My husband played a lot of water and beach volleyball. I kept hitting snooze instead of hitting up the morning yoga but was glad to see it was offered. We worked out in the gym twice and the facility was well-equipped. The variety of machines there worked well and the weights and weight machines were great. There was music and two tvs as well. Fitness balls, yoga mats, and towels were available. We are not tennis players, but the courts were being resurfaced while we were there. We went to see the entertainment at the Fiesta and Carribbean night (great dance performances) and the fire show was awesome! The rain alternative location for the acrobat show was the desires dance club which was quickly filled and we opted to return to the Secrets side after some kids from the Now side stood in front of where were were sitting to try and get a view. Looked like it would be cool if you could see what was happening though!

The pools were a good size for the number of guests there during our stay and we never had to look hard to find chair, but since it was off-season and not filled to capacity, I suspect the pools are a bit crowded if the resort is totally full. The hot tubs were hot with good jets. There was only one swim-up pool bar on the Secrets side which stayed pretty busy, but the drinks were good. Roman was definitely working hard! There were a handful of blue rafts around to float in the pools, and it seemed you could find one if you wanted it and not too many people were trying to “claim” them even when not using them. I bet those rafts become harder to come by with more guests. The swim-up suites didn’t seem to have dedicated rafts – I made a mental note to toss in an inflatable raft from home if ever booking one of those.

To address some of the comments about pool and beach I’d read before traveling: the pools do have a bumpy bottom/sides, but I think it may be to help counteract the sand that inevitable accumulates in a pool 5 steps from the beach. Every morning I saw employees vacuuming out the sand in the bottom of the pools and scrubbing the sides – very clean! The bumps didn’t seem to ruin my feet or pedicure and I didn’t get any bathing suit snags, though I took care to try and avoid suit on wall contact. The beach is not the green water of the Caribbean, but it was clear and I could see the bottom. When I read about it being “rocky,” I was worried about sharp stones, but it was mostly smooth pebble rocks a bit out (in the surf) and some larger smooth rocks here and there. I did not wear the water shoes I’d packed and was just fine.

I’d read about the “pitch” on trip advisor before traveling and planned to avoid it, but we spoke with Raquel in the preferred club to get the “coupons” AAA gave us a voucher for and she was so pleasant that we thought we might give it a whirl. It is NOT a time-share that they are pitching, but rather a vacation savings club (kind of like Sam’s Club or Costco). The experience definitely took more than the 90 minutes that we were told (about 2.5 hours start to exit), but I am glad we did it. We were motivated to attend because we wanted to indulge in a massage in the beautiful spa on our trip, but at a price of $300 for two 50 minute massages at the spa on grounds, we were a bit floored. We thought about taking advantage of the “Helping Hand” massage across the street that we’d read about (and we talked to several people on our trip that had gone there and enjoyed it), but the Secrets spa is just so beautiful! Raquel offered us $300 in spa credit to attend, so we figured 90 minutes and breakfast conversation with someone from the program wasn’t that big of a deal to earn a free massage. From the get-go, it was clear it was not going to be only 90 minutes, as when we arrived at 8:30, they made sure to ask what our plans for the day were and if they were flexible. We made the call to continue, though a bit more tentatively. We were introduced to Ed de la Vega, and we actually really enjoyed our conversation with him. He showed us the spa, had breakfast with us at Carnival, and told us about the program. The program, honestly, is probably a good deal if you vacation frequently, as the savings would add up. However, my husband and I take a nice vacation only every other or every third year, so we wouldn’t really be able to travel enough to reap the savings at this stage in our life. Ed’s two managers that tried to close us during the process were a bit higher-pressure, but ultimately, everyone heard us out that it wasn’t the right fit for us at this time and they gave us our spa certificates. We do not regret attending the presentation and might revisit a program like this down the line. I wouldn’t recommend that you do this presentation though if you’ll get easily irritated at spending more than 90 minutes or if you are only vacationing for a short trip as that would make you need to protect your time a bit more.

The spa was fantastic! We greatly enjoyed our massage experience (each massage includes an hour of hydrotherapy before as well as after if you want). The whole facility was gorgeous and felt like such a retreat! The spa also offered free chair massages by the pool a couple of the days we were there – also very wonderful!

I had read about having 1’s for tipping on trip advisor, but we had not been in the habit of tipping from the other two all-inclusives we traveled to. One of the things we’ve loved about an all-inclusive vacation has been not worrying about money or the wallet. However, it seems that tipping is definitely customary at this resort. Many of the employees truly go above and beyond, so it is nice to give a few tips in those cases. We did not tip for every drink (some people were), but we tried to make sure everyone knew how much we appreciated their hard work every time. If you need 1’s or money exchanged, you can do so at the preferred desk, which was very convenient.

The weather was perfect during our stay – highs in the mid to high 80’s. Compared to central NC, the weather felt neither uncomfortably hot nor humid. It rained every day, but not until sometime between 6PM and 8PM. The resort is built such that you can get pretty much anywhere you need under a covering, so not really a huge need for an umbrella unless you want to go somewhere different than restaurants and rooms. There were plenty of umbrellas around if needed though too. The daily rain did not impact our trip at all!

The wireless internet was a bit spotty, but I could best connect if I went to the balcony and then sometimes it would stay once I returned to the room. I read a lot of complaints about this, but honestly, it just made me unplug and be more present in the beautiful surroundings. Besides, not everywhere offers free internet...hard to complain about something that is free.

I am sorry to deliver so much long-winded information, but it boils down to: we had an amazing trip and the people working at Secrets Puerto Vallarta are delightful and really try to make your vacation a great one. The whole resort is beautiful, modern, clean, and well-designed. We enjoyed the food and drinks, having a few truly exceptional dishes. I would recommend this resort. Feel free to message if you have any questions!

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi tub on the balcony in the Preffered Junior Suite was totally worth it! The higher floor...
7 Thank TarHeelKM
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

our trip started off great -- we had booked for the resort next door, now amber, but when we arrived, we were informed that we'd been bumped up to the secrets side at no charge. we are generally active travelers, but for this vacation, it was a nice change of pace to take the all-inclusive option and have everything taken care of for us. we slept in, ate when we felt like it (several of the restaurants have extended operating hours ...e.g. breakfast until 11:30, lunch until 4 p.m. etc, plus 24 hour room service), took our time getting to the pool/beach because it didn't get dark until 8:45 p.m. i was worried about coming during the rainy season, but it mainly rained at night and was sunny and hot during the day.

it is so easy to just stay on the resort -- huge/comfy rooms, great amenities, beautiful facilities. the only time we left the resort was to take a day tour (you can book at the travel office on the property) to san sebastian, a small mountain town about 1.5 hrs from the resort, and it was excellent.

i had a massage in the spa and it was great -- included in the massage is an hour of hydrotherapy beforehand, which was fantastic. an attendant guides you through various hydrotherapy stations before the massage.

as others have mentioned, the staff are fantastic ... the servers, bartenders, activity coordinators, attendants who first greet you, spa staff, etc etc. they made this the relaxing experience that we really needed!

pv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for,our wedding anniversary and from The minute our luggage was taken to our room, I was overly surprised and overwhelmed! From the banner on the door congratulating us, the fruit basket, hot tub fill of roses, the all around service! Amazing never mind the full package ambience! While laying around the pool we forgot we were in just across the street from Our own home! It was paradise on all levels! The concierge, the bellman, cleaning staff! Above anything I expected! I highly recommend this resort for their top notch care they show their guests! I would like to mention a single stand out person, but truthfully, they are all amazing staff and if you have the opportunity to,stay there you might be wowed away as well! Congratulations secrets, your secret is out!

Room Tip: They all over look the bay, but of course the higher up.the better! Don't forget to ask for thos...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susanb B
cleveland, oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Hi! My husband and I recently took a quick trip. A little background: we are 33 and have stayed excellence playa mujeres, secrets silver sands,majestic elegance(in punta Cana) and a Riu in Jamaica. Random hotels in Europe
Location: 5 stars. 15 minute drive from the airport. If you have time stop at the convenient store outside the airport. We had 2 beers for $1.70 while we waited for our transfer. Yummy! Close to downtown as well. The hotel is in a beautiful location. Ocean on one side and the mountains on the other.

Check in: 3 stars it was a little bumpy. Our room was not ready until almost 4. However we were upgraded to FULL ocean view. It was awesome. (Rm 1905)

Pools/grounds: 4 the only reason I did not give this a 5 is because the bottom and sides of the pool are covered in a rocky abrasive material. Your pedi will get jacked up for sure! Also it will snag your swimsuit bottom so be careful. We never had an issue finding a chair. However the resort was no where near full capacity. If it was at 100% or close it would be very crowded. The pools are not super large. The resorts hot tubes are actually hot! Many resorts its the same temp as the pool. This was nice to hang out with the cold rain and cold drink.

Food: 3 stars. The food was very average. Breakfast buffet was the smallest I've seen at a resort. But it worked for us. For lunch we always did the walk up snack bar. No complaints there. At dinner the service was veeeery slow!!! Everyone was polite. But slow. We ate at the French restaurant, Japanese and the flavor market which was our favorite. Room service was great and always speedy. Our dishes were removed everyday from the service box.

Drinks: 5 stars. My husband tried lots of new tequilas and really enjoyed that. The beers were good. I always had grey goose vodka for my breakfast Bloody Mary. If you think your drink is weak ask for mucho rum! They will do it. Drink service at the pool was great. We tip so maybe that helped. we never went thirsty. If you want shots go to the pool bar and ask for rainbow shots. It will blow your mind.

Room: 5 stars. Awesome view. Always cleaned. Room fridge always stocked. I did notice this hotel did not have the kinda musty smell you get on tropical vacations. We did not get our happy anniversary banner and I was a little bummed out. This was the second secrets hotel that forgot our banner. Silly I know. But I'm crazy like that. My husband had to call for a new iron and he mentioned the banner. When we came back after dinner the banner was up with a fancy bubble bath inside.

In conclusion we did enjoy our stay and we would like to visit puerto vallarta again. Would I stay here again?maybe if I got a good deal. This is our second secrets and both have had very average food. The best resort for us thus far is excellence playa mujeres. If you have any questions feel free to message me

Note: there were lots of bees around the pool. A friend got stung twice and I got stung once. I can assure you I was not antagonizing them either. One was on my hair and when reached back he got me. If you are allergic just be aware. This was my first sting in my 33 years.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank beachbum0626
Ponta Grossa, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from Vallarta and miss this place a lot!!! I booked Now Amber and was upgraded to Secrets...way better : no kids, premium liquor, fine dining and AMAZING service. The restaurants were great and we did not feel we were at an all inclusive as the choices were so vast. The beach is rocky but not that bad for its almost central location. I would definitely stay there next time I'm in Vallarta.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends