Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Beachfront
Plaza Santa Maria(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Costa Club Punta Arena(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Pool
Park Royal Los Tules(Puerto Vallarta)
Ambassador Suites(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Beachfront
3,813 results
All reviewsmarket cafepreferred clubbarefoot grillbordeaux restaurantpool arealobby barunlimited vacation clubpreferred buildingentertainment teamhealing handsrain showerturn down servicedress codeall inclusive resortocean viewtop shelfrose petals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I visited this resort June 17-24, 2013. We are in our mid 30's. Upon arrival, we had the same experience as many reviewers. We were tired and wanted to get to our room and didn't appreciate the soft sell to do the vacation club sales pitch. I really wish they would stop doing this. It started our vacation off on a funky note.

ROOM- We had a Preferred Club Jr Suite Ocean View room on the 5th floor. Is the PC worth it? It depends. It was really nice to have constant snacks and a personal bartender in the same building. Inaki was the best bartender and we really enjoyed talking with him. It's true that the PC rooms actually have a worse view than the regular rooms which seems sort of odd. But, we still thought the room view was pretty. We kept wanting to use the hot tub on the balcony but never did. The large tub in the room was fabulous and much more private. The rooms are gorgeous and certainly designed with couples in mind.

HOUSEKEEPING- Top notch. The room was always spotless. They even mopped the floor in our room daily. They only missed turn down 2 times and I am pretty sure it's because we were in our room. If you miss a cleaning or turn down, just tell the concierge.

NOISE- I feel like this needs its own category. The hotel does a great job of muffling any sounds from the Now side. You really wouldn't know there was a resort with loud music and families next door. However, the hallways were really loud (you could hear every cart and person). The worst problem for us were the dogs and roosters in the lot behind the hotel. We were woken up each morning (sometimes at 2-3am) and continually throughout the morning. Luckily I had brought ear plugs which saved us. When we asked if we could move rooms, they told us we would have to move to the Now side to avoid the sounds. We really ddin\t want to be on the Now side so we said we would think about it. Two things that annoyed us. 1. When I asked Raul if anyone complained or moved rooms because of it, he acted like we were the only ones. I understand there is only so much they can do because they don't own the property behind them, but I thought it was in bad taste to say no one complained. We spoke to several other guests who had the same problems. 2. He never followed up or checked on us to see if we wanted to move. Bad service we thought.

BOTTOM LINE- If you are sensitive to noise, book an ocean room (higher up) as close to the Now side as possible and not in the PC.

FOOD- this really was hit or miss. I am shocked when people say it's the best food ever. We don't think of ourselves as foodies but we do have access to really top restaurants and chefs. If you compare the food at this resort with 4-5 star restaurants in any major US city, the food falls short. If you compare it to many other all-inclusives, it's decent.

SERVICE- The service was mostly great. Most of the servers and staff were super helpful, friendly and fun to be around. Our favs were Hugo with the entertainment staff, Inaki at the PC bar, Omar at the pool bar and Crisanta at the World Cafe. We did bring about 100 $1's for tipping and wish we had brought more. You certainly do not have to tip but we are pretty sure the staff doesn't make a lot of money and it's always nice to show your appreciation. A little big can go a long way here.

OUTSIDE ATMOSPHERE- The pools were nice. We went during their slow season and I cannot imagine what it would be like if the hotel was fully booked. I have stayed at Secrets Silversands in Cancun and the pool area was much larger and had more pools. The beach really was kinda sad. We never went on it because it didn't look too inviting and as everyone mentioned, there are guys selling stuff all of the time. We knew this going in and didn't really care but if you want a pretty beach, this isn't for you. The grounds were gorgeous and always meticulously clean.

BARS- The bars were low key and chill which is exactly our style. The lobby bar was beautiful and almost every night we had a drink or two looking over the ocean.

NOW - This was a little disappointing. All of the shows they offered were on the Now side. We felt a little jipped because we signed up to be at an adults only resort and every show, 2-3 restaurants and the coffee shop were all on the Now side. I got the impression that the shows would normally be on the Secrets side but due to low season, they combined everything. I am not anti-kids but the magic show and mentalist would have been a much different experience with adults only.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela W
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Vallarta Bay for 3 nights. We enjoyed the food, drinks, great service and a very nice massage in the Spa.
This resort is not too far from downtown Puerto Vallarta, although the resort offers all you need. You can just walk out of the hotel for a few shops if needed.

Room Tip: If you want to splurge and have a lot of room, book the Master Oceanfront Club Suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank allinclusiveexpert
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spent my honeymoon here the past week. If you are between the ages of 21-55, this is the place for you. The property is new, beautiful and they are very customer-oriented here. I experienced first rate service the whole time. The property is only about a year and a half old, so everything is new and fresh. I love Secrets property because the atmosphere is very social. We easily met a lot of other couples and hung out together for the week. The food was above average for an all inclusive. The entertainment was slightly lacking, but it is connected to Now Amber. Now is also in the Secrets chain, but it isn't adults only. Anyone from the Secrets facility can use any of the facilities such as dining and entertainment over on the Now side. Since Now is a family resort, the people without children can use the pool but nothing else. A couple of things to note about the property: They will ask you when you check in to go to a time share presentation the following morning and give a $100 credit to use towards booking tours. If you decide to go, set your watch. They will go over the hour and a half. To give you a rough idea, their initial offer of the cost is $23,000! Once you decline at this meeting, they won't ask you again at all. No one will hound you at all! The tour I recommend is Rhythm of the Nights show. You would think it is corny, but it's sort of like Lion King meets Circus de Soleil. It was much better than I expected! I also did the Outdoor Adventure and that was an awesome activity. A tour that I found through trip advisor (and not offered through the hotel is Puerto Vallarta Food Tour). The only thing I have to say is "do it". I would have that be your first tour. You go through Old Downtown Puerto Vallarta. It's an amazing town and you will see how comfortable you feel. Massages are way cheaper outside of the resort. We did a couples massage downtown for 1 hour. It was $70 total. I heard Healing Hands (located right outside of Secrets outside the gate) will do it for $50 total! Anyway, if you are on the fence, no need to be. One more thing, if you are looking to stay on the resort at night, go to Desires on the Now side of the resort. For reference my husband and I are in our early 30's.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dods6022
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay here it is ! Anybody who complains about this place is crazy. We had the best week of our lives here. Hugo and the whole entertainment team were awesome. From check in to check out all of the staff were amazing. All of the bartenders were great and so were the drinks. Get a michelada cubana ! Breakfast of champions. Look for Omar and Alex at the pools. We never waited for a refreshment. Skip the Malecon, not worth the time as they do hound you. Instead go an excursion, Jet Ski adventure was a blast as were the ATV's. Lori at the pool will hook you up. Learn how to use the light switches for maid service and you will never be forgotten. Room cleaned everyday and turn down service every night. Antonia our turn down girl was awesome, ask for it and they will bring it. Bordeaux was the best of the restaurants but all were good. Meet some new friends while you are there and do Tepanaki with them. We met so many nice people while we were there, shout out to all of them !!! It is all about your attitude, go in with a good one and you will have a fantastic time. How can you complain in paradise. We would go back in a heart beat. We miss you Secrets !! Love you all, David and Leslie Borrego, Santa Fe, NM, USA.

Room Tip: Room 1705 was perfect, right in the middle, view of everything. I think preferred is overrated.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank leslieborrego
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was the first time my wife and I had stayed at an all-inclusive resort. It was also our first visit to Mexico. The reviews of Secrets on tripadvisor were pretty bang-on. The "Now Amber" resort was attached, so the advertised 'no kids' thing is over-stated. My wife and I didn't really mind, as there *are* adult-only sections that are enforced. However, on weekends we could certainly hear the kids shouting from our room (on the eighth floor).

The beach area was decent though unremarkable. The waters were a bit rough, but that has more to do with this being the Pacific side, I think. Also, the beach had many vendors. The vendors stayed on the other side of the 'rope' which was nice but detracted from the overall experience. I think this is pretty commonplace and every resort you go to will share this characteristic.

Food-wise, my wife and I definitely preferred the a la carte restaurants, in particular the French one. The Italian restaurant is on the 'family' side - service was slower, food was so-so, and it was louder. The teppanyaki grill was a nice experience (but remember to book ahead). Buffet-style breakfast was decent - you can only expect so much when you're eating buffet, right? We went into town often to eat cart food though - as it was better and really cheap ($1 tacos, $2 fish tacos, ... being full for $10).

Service-wise, it was hit-and-miss. Some of the servers were incredible (yes, as stated in the reviews, some even remember your names after seeing you once or twice), while others were inattentive or downright forgetful (asking for a bottle of water and not having it get there is sad). Sometimes the best solution is to go get it yourself. Also, if you want 'good' alcohol, be sure to ask for it, otherwise you get the plastic bottle no name vodka.

The rooms are beautiful, and we found them very relaxing.

Transportation-wise, we were happy with the taxi service. Going into town we often took the bus (easy, cheap, fast, and safe). The location is nice as it's fairly close to Old Vallarta. We chose to stay in this resort over locations that were cheaper with comparable amenities in Nuevo Vallarta (which is farther from Old Vallarta). We do not regret this decision.

Finally, we felt safe at all times. The safety concerns we had before we left were gone by the time we left.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I would consider coming back for the right price. The facilities are new and as a result pretty spotless.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple