We stayed in the Preferred tower where the views are not as good as in the cheaper suites. The only advantage is the spa tub on the balcony and the snack bar. We have stayed in Secrets Capri Cancun about 7 years ago and found a marked difference between the two stays. Not sure if Secrets has gone downhill a bit in the last few years or if this Secrets is just not as good as Secrets Capri.
1. We found all the staff fabulous. You would be hard pressed to find any complaint there
2. Food was excellent at times and not so good at others. Our favourite restaurant was the French. The food and atmosphere was top notch. Surprisingly the Market Garden was our next favourite. Both the lunch and breakfast buffet and the dinner a la carte were great. We don't usually like buffets as they are often filled with sub par food, usually all about quantity and not quality but this restaurant was a highlight. The Mexican restaurant was not bad, just not really good Mexican food. The Japanese was a typical Japanese type. Nothing to write about. We did not eat at the Itallian. The Seafood restaurant was a big disappointment. Overcooked shrimp is not tasty regardless of what you serve it with. We had one lunch there and made the mistake of ordering a hamburger. Be warned. It is the same dried up meat patty you get in the barefoot cafe. Couldn't even finish it and I was sharing it with my husband. Never went back. The food at the barefoot grill is not really very good. Bad pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs. Some of the other foods are not too bad, ribs, chicken nuggets, pulled pork. You are better off to put on a coverup and go to the Market Garden. They do make some good snacks around the pool area at 1:00. Keep you eye out for that. They are only there about 1 hour but the food was usually very tasty
3. A warning about the dress code for men. The web site says men can wear dressy closed toed sandals to the dressy restaurants but once you get there you will find this is not the case. Men need closed toed shoes. They will approve runners.
4. They do not supply all alcohol free of charge. The good stuff has an up charge.
5. The decor is outstanding. Everything is stunning. The rooms are very comfortable. The balconies are small and the chairs on them uncomfortable but most people don't spend that much time out there anyway. They do seem to have a mold problem in the showers. They don't drain very well and are completely closed in with no air circulation. We had some black mold on the ceiling in our shower. I tried to ignore it. The room did smell musty so we left the fan on in the shower all the time. We had friends staying there and the first room smelled so musty I don't think you could sleep in there very easily. They were moved to another room. The beach is pretty, nice sand but the waves are pretty strong and I never saw anyone venture out into the water. Lots of great pools though and I saw them testing the water in them several times a day so they are well maintained. Lots of umbrellas so plenty of sun or shade, whichever your prefer. If you like activities around the pool and beach area there are plenty of those.
6. We used the gym and it was quite well supplied. About all they were missing was a bosu. They even had 2 spinning bikes!! I had the best Deep Tissue Massage in the Spa that I have ever had at a resort.
Even though the resort was less than I expected I still give it a very good rating. I don't think you could get better without paying more money. Times are not easy for the hotel industry so I do understand why they have cut back from what Secrets used to be. If I wanted All Inclusive again I would likely stay at Secrets again. We do like to spend more time going out into the community and meeting the people and eating their food and you do miss that when you stay at an All Inclusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Romantic. Refined. Remarkable. Located on the golden sand beaches of the Pacific coast within walking distance of the famous El Malecon boardwalk, this vibrant oceanfront resort provides adults 24/7 access to amazing nightlife, non-stop entertainment and Unlimited-Luxury(R). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.