“Wonderful, relaxing vacation”

Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I read all the reviews before deciding on this resort. Glad I did. We were met by a bellman when our taxi arrived, offering a cool towel. We were then wisked over to the preferred club front desk. A quick overview of what is included with our stay, sign and. Taken to our room. Beautiful, can't describe it. 4th floor, with a jacuzzi on the balcony! Loved the decorations and whole ambiance of the room. Walked downstairs to go out by pool, and saw the swim up suites. I looked into these before I got our junior suite, very deceiving on your listing as "garden view". Yes, there is a garden, but you still have an awesome oceanview. I found the app to put on your iphone. It made it so easy to just email concierge to ask about an upgrade to those rooms. You can also make calls as if you are in your room. (wonderful app!) they called us within a few hours. I must have misunderstood the girl as to how much the upgrade was, and decided against it. They did call that night again and left a message,askingif we were going to upgrade. They named a better price. I went down the next morning. And Raul helped me out. Totally painless, and we got a Master Swimout Suite. Soo glad we did the upgrade. Loved the suite, definitely recommend the swimout. The food was pretty good at the restaurants. Himitsu was superb. Tamarind was great, Capers pretty good. The Market Cafe for breakfast, one if my favorites. Herbierto(?) our waiter was wonderful. He suggested his favorites, and my husband and I went out of our comfort zones and ordered his selection...so glad we did! Food was phenomenal. He was a joy to converse with each day we went there. Omar, our waiter by the pool was such a sweetie, couldn't do enough for us. Missed him on his 2 days off. Our favorite employee overall was Hugo the bellman. He was very helpful, quite fun, and engaging. Most all employees called us by our names, remembered what we liked and didn't like. The only things we would change would be more ice in the drinks, Warmer food out by the pool. More hooks in the master suite, like the junior suite had(nowhere to hang towels, or bathrobes, except walkin closet) Not pressing people to attand the ultimate luxury vacation. Did not like the explanation on what you would receive if you attended the 90 min. Presentation. They mislead you on that. Overall, wonderful resort. Will definitely come back. Thank you for making our time there memorable and relaxing. We felt pampered from the moment we set foot in your establishment! I'm giving it a 5 stars, and I'm a hard sell!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed August 21, 2012

i've never had such an amazing time at a resort like i did at secrets. The hotel is shared with now amber which is the family side. The secrets side is for adults, i never saw one kid in our area. when we arrived the lovely staff greeted us with champagne and cold towels. They were prompt n immediatley took our bags to our rooms. The hotel is still fairly new, not even being open for a year yet. It was so nice and clean inside the lobby. We were immediately offered drinks as we waited to get checked in. When i say the staff were all amazing they really were! and obviously if you tip them i dont think you could even get any better service! the rooms were devine, great decor and the seem to be all ocean view. The pool is not that big but they have 3 to choose from. Theres always activities going on at the resort, the entertainment team were so friendly and really tried to get everyone involved in what ever activity or show was going on. For food they have really great choices of restuarants and the buffets for breakfast. Though i wouldnt recommend the buffets. with 24 hour room service and a full stocked free mini bar. you cant ever go hungry or parched. Rooms were cleaned everyday. they changed the sheets but not the blankets. They have a disco downstairs, the dj was really good and took kindly to requests. They also have shisha for those that indulged. The only downside to this resort is that the adults side was mostly couples. And i went with my single ready to mingle girlfriends. Downtown is less then a 10 min cab ride, which usually cost us about 60 pesos about 7 dollars canadian. i recommend going to the board walk and the markets. Nonetheless i had the best time at this resort the staff really are amazing. especially hugo and pablo! any questions you needed answered they were there. If you needed to find a place in the hotel, they would walk you there. I will definently come back with a significant other.

Room Tip: rooms with the swim out really looked nice! higher floors have a better view of the ocean.
4  Thank jazzy j
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Me and 2 girlfriends of mine booked Secrets Puerto Vallarta to celebrate one of their birthdays and also as nice girls only trip. We arrived to Puerto Vallarta as scheduled and once we made it through mexican customs we arrived at the security screening with our carry-ons and went through with no issues, past the sea of people trying to sell time shares and excursions only to realize that we were supposed to have picked up our bags on the belt that was directly behind us when we were standing in the security line, THANKFULLY spanish is my native language, so after asking around to a few of the security and baggage claim people I was able to find someone to help me, but at a price of course he said we could either wait a few hours and get the bags delivered to us after going through security or if I tipped him he could get them right away, we rolled our eyes and tipped him $20 and magically our bags appeared. This incident kind of put a damper on our mood that is until we arrived at Secrets! As soon as we arrived at the gates we were impressed by this gorgeous stone waterfall, once we made it up the hill and stepped out of the van, we were immediately greeted by a few of the bellmen and served a wonderful cold glass of champagne and a cool towel for each of us. we were immediately impressed by the incredible view from the look out point in between the two main towers of Now Amber and Secrets. We then had a seat in the beautiful lobby and relaxed untill they were ready to check us in. As it turns out my 2 friends were staying in the Secrets part and I was in Now amber but I quickly took the upgrade of an extra $300 which is originally $500 but it was my friends birthday and they worked with me to get a better price. I am sure glad I did! As an adults only hotel I did not see any children on the Secrets side which is a huge advantage being a group of young single women we did not want to be bothered by other peoples screaming children. Once I arrive at my room I am absolutely stunned at how beautifully decorated it is and how comfortable I feel there, I had a garden view room but I could still see the ocean from my balcony which was absolutely amazing. The room had all of the modern comforts of home: flat screen tv, fully stocked mini bar, huge shower with the rain shower head, a large jet tub and gorgeous raised sinks, a in room safe, in room wifi, oh and I even had a phone in the small room where the toilet was located lol! We decided to get some food from carnival that night (buffet) since we were to hungry to wait and went back to our rooms to get ready for an evening out. We got ready and headed out to the Malecon which is a beautiful boarkwalk fully of shops restaurants and night clubs, after asking around a bit we were told "Mandela" was the place to be so we got in with no cover and hung out there for the rest of the evening, Now I will say I have been to cancun before around the same time of year and the club scene was a whole lot better then puerto vallarta, the nightlife here leaves alot to be desired and we didnt really here much of the music we were hoping to (reggaeton,bachata,salsa) it was more techno and house music that was played and there were not alot of single in puerto vallarta period!!! It seema to be more of a place for couples and families I would NOT suggest going there if you are looking for a party scene. So after trying a few different bars on a few differently nights we completely gave up on the nightlife and switch gears and decided to just relax and enjoy the resort. we enjoyed the pools at the resort especially one with the swim out bar which was our favorite, we even did the swim aerobics whicn was a great work out! and rode on horseback on the beach. We also had a chance to try himitsu and it was by far one of the best japanese restaurants ive ever been to it had gorgeous decor and the sushi was fabulous. we also decided to take a snorkelling tour through our aircanada advisor which was pretty inexpensive $65. The tour started at 9am and once we arrived at the marina we decided to invest in some mosquito spray because it was extremely buggy in the marina. Once we boarded the boat we were greeted by some wonderful crew members. Ive done snorkelling before in hawaii but my friends hadnt before so i kind of knew what to expect except this was much different then my previous experiences in that we were just off the coast of mariyettas island and they stopped the boat near the otherside where it is quite rocky and the current was quite strong so it was a bit scary. but we hopped in anyways, the water is quite cloudy and a bit difficult to see unlike hawaii and within about 10 minutes i felt a sting and didnt know what it was which kind of freaked me out so we headed back to the boat and once we boarded the boat we realised other people had been stung too and they brought out some sort of cortizone cream for us. Then they tell us it was probably a jellyfish and I was thinking wow thanks you couldnt tell us BEFORE we got into the water?? lol but I was ok after a few minutes and in all honesty i probably wouldnt have gotten in the water if i knew there were jellyfish. After that we kayaked around a bit and then boarded the boat, the best part of the tour was when they took us to the other side of mariyettas where there is a beach, it is one of the most beautiful ive ever seen in my life the weather was perfect and the sand was gorgeous. We spent a good hour and a half there and then boarded the boat again where we were greeted with an amazing buffet lunch (try the fresh tuna salad) and the crew entertained us with a great show :) Special thanks to carlos and carlos, juan luis, and the rest of the crew we had a great time! The rest of our trip was spent lounging and relaxing by the pool and enjoying the incredible food and drink oh and if you can definately do the theme nights were amazing the buffets were delicious and the entertainment was great!!! I want to thank everyone at Secrets for making our stay there absolutely incredible they work really hard to make you happy! Thank you HUGO, and PABLO the bellmen that always greeted us and were extremely helpful and friendly throughout our stay. I am extremely happy 5 star experience!!!!! THANK YOU and I will recommend it to anyone.

5  Thank misslatinbarbie
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Secrets/Now Amber resort was truly awesome. Greeted by very friendly staff the moment we arrived and catered to with sincere attention until the moment we left. The Hotel is brand new and very impressive with marble and infinite pools everywhere. Even the lobby and pool washrooms were topped with luxurious detail, including hand-wrapped face-clothes instead of paper towels.

The food was so good and abundant. Want a snack by the pool in the middle of the day? How about a new york strip steak and chips with guacamole with a side of BBQ ribs. If that doesn't suite your fancy you can also order off a room service card and have someone bring you a covered plate of delicious chicken nachos. If we stayed two-weeks I would need to sell all my pants and just wear a shower curtain or a moo-moo.

The staff was very nice as expected, but I noticed a sincerity to their service that made our time with them especially enjoyable. As an example, I one day wanted to do "a shot" and asked the bartender what he recommended. His recommendation was "a rainbow show" which was like 8 shots and a magic show put together. Amazing. I was tipping about 200 pesos ($8) / day and got incredible service.

Regarding the children at the resort, I did not find it an issue at all. They are children eating chocolate for breakfast , not cockroaches climbing over your eggs. "OMG a disgusting kid .... phew spit out my food" - complains the weirdos.. But I did appreciate being on the adult side after breakfasts with the riff-raff. If anything it makes you appreciate the calm.

Definitely recommend this resort or the Now Amber - get in before the prices go up because this place is the tops.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank shrimpy-p
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Secrets Puerto Vallarta. This was our 3rd consecutive anniversary trip with Secrets and may have possible been our last. I'll start with the positives.

~The hotel is beautiful. It is my understanding it has been open less than a year. Rooms are very nice and spacious. All of the rooms appear to be ocean view. All rooms have complimentary room service. The resort was very easy to navigate.
~The pools are on the smaller side but there were plenty of chairs with umbrellas. We did not have any issues during the week with finding a chair and umbrella by the pool which is not always the case at all inclusive resorts. The pool side service is excellent(I recommend tipping, you will notice the service gets even better).
~The food is about what you would expect for an all inclusive resort. Breakfast buffets were ok. Lunch was ok. The actual sit down dinners were excellent. We did not have any buffets for dinner so we cannot comment on those.
~The spa was great. We had a couples massage and with that you get an "complimentary" hour of hydrotherapy. A little pricey but that's to be expected.
~The hotel location was great. 5-10 dollars(US) to downtown Puerto Vallarta or the airport. The hotel was very close to the airport which is nice after a day of traveling.

Now here is the biggest problem with our stay. This resort IS NOT ADULTS ONLY. When I'm paying $500/day including flights I do not wanna see kids if the resort presents itself as an adults only resort. There are many other cheaper options available if I dont mind being at a family resort. This is the way we understood it. Cut the resort in half. One side is Secrets(Adult) and one side is Now(Family). There is an adults pool with no kids allowed(but all adults are allowed including ones from Now)and maybe 2-3 of the restaurants are adults only. But after that you get to deal with kids at the nightly entertainment, you get to hear kids from your balcony in your room, you get to have kids running around your table while you are trying to enjoy dinner, etc. Also when we returned home we did some research and we found that Now is cheaper by roughly $400-$500 for the week. Which is ridiculous because if you're an adult at Now you get access to everything the adults at Secrets do.
With everything said we simply felt mislead. The hotel is very nice, service good, etc. but when I pay a premium price for an adults only vacation I expect an adults only vacation.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank brucedlester
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Brucedlester,

On behalf of Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta Management & Staff we would like to express our most sincere apologies for the experience that you had during your visit with us. Your comments have been shared to all our departments and with a special attention to our Food & Beverage staff which you noted that are food was average and we want our guest to feel completely satisfied.

It is important to distinguish that Secrets and Now Amber are two different resorts even though they are located right next to each other, Secrets is Adults Only and Now is for families with children. As you said they do share some facilities such as the shopping plazas that have 2 more dining restaurants and one of them is Adults Only which is Himitsu. Now guests are allowed to have dinner at the Secrets restaurants with our Sip, Savor and See program.

However, we try our best to enforce that Now adults guests stay in their side and not in the Secrets property since they are only and exclusively allowed to have dinner at the restaurants. We are sorry that you felt mislead with the information of our two Resorts.

We thank you for sharing your feedback to us, and hope that you will come to visit us in the near future once again to exceed your expectations as all our guests deserve!

Mauricio Martinez

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at Secrets Vallarta Bay. 1st word that comes to mind...WOW! The service is unbelievable. Everyone was so professional and anything you wanted/needed, they provided it or found it. The food was great, the drinks were great, and even with a few nights of rain, it didn't slow us down at all.
There are so many things to do in Puerto Vallarata also. I snorkeled, learned to scuba, zip lined, visited a tequila factory, did a city tour....it was amazing. I do want to personally thank Scuba Lisa with Vallarta Adventure. She was a great teacher and informed us on things to do while in Puerto Vallarta. Our zip line tour was with her company and they were great as well!! Lisa was great!!!

If you haven't been to PV, I have advised all my friends and family to go. We are planning another trip to do the things we didn't have time to do this time!

1  Thank gumboeatr
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a beautiful resort! Our trip didn't start out good with delays and a scary landing, of course Secrets-AM Resorts has nothing to do with that. We arrived extremely late, so all the restaurants where closed and since we hadn't had a meal for hours and hours, we tried room service, but so did the entire bus load of guests who were dumped off at The Now and the Secrets. Needless to say we were sleeping by the time they finally got it to our room and it was cold on top of it. I understand the circumstance though. We did order it another night and it came much quicker and it was warm, not hot. Service, however was good. Morning breakfast at the Secrets the next morning was ala carte and extremely slow. They really seemed clueless, I actually felt bad for them. The food there was only okay and again, not hot. Even the coffee wasn't hot. We checked out the pool and beach area the next day, loved the pool and you certainly can't beat the view of the Sierra Madre. BEAUTIFUL! I wish the vendors weren't on the beach, but they leave you alone if you wish. The bartender, whom I can't remember his name was swamped at the swim up bar, he was doing all he could do to stay above water himself. I wanted to jump back and help him! ;) He was friendly enough, made good drinks and he was the waiter the next few days at the pool. He knew my husband and was very prompt at getting his drinks for him. Plenty of shade if you wish and they had the big floats you could lounge on in the pool as well, that was really nice. Lunch was good right there by the pool at the Oceana, but we think we may have got sick from one of the lunches there. It's hard to say what you ate or where, but we knew we arrived early Sunday Morning and by Tuesday, things weren't right. We're still trying to get back to normal yet. I did bring it to the attention of the hotel as they can't figure anything out if they don't know anything about it. We didn't want anything from the hotel, but just to let them know, so they can figure it out and stop it. We were not the only ones sick by any means. That's why I give this resort a lower overall rating. We enjoyed most of the employees and the view from both lobbies is just gorgeous. I loved the little coffee shop. I'd like to see a little more entertainment in the lobbies. Maybe something a little livelier after dinner on some nights?? We went to one of their shows and left before it was done. It seemed very amateur like, we weren't impressed at all. But, most of us don't go to the resorts for the shows. I along with many of the other guests didn't like the fact that Secrets guests generally pay more that 'adult' only resort, but NOW guests can come over to the Secrets side. And sharing all the restaurants??? I don't know, if you are going to an adult only resort, the restaurants are very limited on the adult only side and you don't necessarily want to be around all the kids on the Now side of the resort. Would I go back? Hmmmmm, beautiful resort, friendly service, but I may try another resort out. OH, and dinner was very good in the ala carte restaurants we did eat at as well as the service.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great, if you like a little extra, then you would like the 'preferred...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nesann

Dear guest,

We thank you for sharing your comments to us, which are very important. We would like to always hear great feedback from all our guests, although we understand that sometimes things come on the way. The first impression that you had was not the best as you said it was not in our hands the delays of your trip. However, we regret that your meal from room service was not delivered to your suite in a prompt timely matter and up to the standards it should have been.

Your experience in our Buffet Restaurant was not as you expected, which for this we express our sincere apologies. Be sure that our Restaurant Manager will follow up with the staff to avoid these types of situations. On the other hand, we try our best to control the vendors on the beach, however, they are very respectful once you say that you are not interested in their supplies or services.

As you said in your review, it can be difficult to assure where or what food made you sick. It is unfortunate that you encountered this during your stay. We honestly hope that you can gives us the opportunity to serve you once more in the near future and exceed your expectations when you come back.

Kind regards,