“Great Indian food in Mexico!”
Review of India Gate

India Gate
Ranked #290 of 1,036 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: If you have never tried Indian food, or you are a lover, India gate Puerto Vallarta is the "The New Kid in Town", we serve up delicious and authentic India specialities, no fusion, Punjabi kitchen...some of our dishes are chicken tandoori, bryani, tikka massala and the star BUTTER CHICKEN, lamb curry, vindaloo, prawn bryani, tandoori, etc., and vegetarian dishes, from mild to spicy and everything between...we also serve unique chai, desserts and beverages, we invite you to come and explore a new and delicious flavor, service and our beautiful place near to El Malecon, the sea breeze and amazing sunsets just a few steps from us
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just returned from a great meal at India gate....wonderful Indian food in Mexico! Would highly recommend the vindaloo and butter chicken.

There are newer reviews for India Gate

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the same owner as the one in Vancouver, B.C. on Robson. A first for us to visit in PV. Food was fabulous. Try the garlic Naan...to die for!! Great service and air conditioned, great if you like it spicy!!!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've eaten at India Gate several times, and each time was good to very good. The owners here are partners with an Indian couple from Vancouver and supposedly the menus and tastes are similar irrespective of the location.

Some things that India Gate does are outstanding. The Paneer Makhani, for one, is amazing and better than I've had elsewhere. I imagine that the Tikka Masala dishes are also good, for although I have not tried them, it uses a similar tomato base. It's rich, creamy, flavorful, substantive. I couldn't stop dreaming of the Paneer Makhani after eating it. Fantastic. I've also tried the Bhaigan Bharta (or, here, called simply Bharta). It has a tremendous consistency, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Paneer Makhani or other outstanding Bhaigan Bhartas at other Indian establishments around the world.

The appetizers are good, but could be better. The samosas are good -- served piping hot as well -- but tend to be doughy. There is a higher pastry-to-filling ratio than I'd prefer. The daal soup is also good, but not worthy of self-sacrifice.

The naan is good if served immediately from the oven, which is usually is. On the rare occasion when it sits for even a few minutes, it begins to harden. Unlike the samosas, I would actually prefer my naan to be doughier, more blistered, and less dense. Still, when hot, it's delicious, and I wouldn't think about going to India Gate without ordering at least one type of tasty naan delight.

Compared to most Indian restaurants in the States or Canada, the menu is a bit abbreviated. That simply means that this restaurant can focus on what it does best and execute solidly. The staff is uniformly excellent, with the servers truly understanding their menu and making excellent recommendations for the patrons. The owners, as well, are very accommodating, friendly, and desirous of creating an excellent atmopshere with good food that will appeal to everyone.

For the vegetarian, there are plenty of options with at least two or three appetizers and around five entrees. For vegans, one would have to inquire about whether the recipes can be adapted. Most Indian restaurants in the States can make dishes vegan, even when those recipes call for cream or butter, so I would imagne that India Gate could as well. I didn't ask, however, so please do if this applies to you. The naan is normally made with egg, but I was told that they can prepare the naan specially for a vegan preference if requested.

India Gate is conveniently located a few steps from the Malecon (La Bogedita del Medio is a landmark, turn there). Its location couldn't be better. It's a simple, elegant, inviting restaurant.

Recommended.

1  Thank SalsaB
Reviewed October 16, 2012

India Gate is just a half block off the Malecon so the location is very convenient to have Indian food and then walk the Malecon or go to the clubs afterwards. The best item on the menu is the butter chicken. It is consistently excellent. The other dishes are so so. I have tried the curried chicken and I found it pretty bland. The decor of the restaurant is modern....and does not have the feel of an authentic Indian restaurant......but it is air conditioned and the bathrooms are clean. If you are craving Indian food in Mexico, India Gate would be a good choice.

1  Thank mrunaldue
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I am a hesitant fan of Indian food -- when somebody recommends we go to an Indian restaurant I am not excited. Same thing here -- wasn't excited but, by the time I was done eating, it became apparent this is going to be a must-eat restaurant for us. My wife had the butter chicken and I had the chicken korma....both were excellent!! Service was good, the workers (all family) were great.

1  Thank Sr_Blanco