“Like having your own home on the beach”
Review of Vallarta Shores

Vallarta Shores
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I love this place. I've been to Puerto Vallarta many times and stayed in several different condos in this part of town (Los Muertos Beach). I've always been fascinated by this place because it looks so charming from the beach. I spent 6 nights in Suite 2 - a two bedroom, 2 bath on the second floor. The only thing I found on the down-side was a street light on the corner just outside that shown on the balcony at night. Otherwise, this place is perfect. Since this unit is on the corner and only on the second floor, I don't think the other units are as affected by this light. Both bedrooms have king-size beds, although they're "Mexican kings" which are very wide but short - at 6'2", my feet hang off the end of the bed, but this doesn't bother me. Mexican beds tend to be notoriously hard, but these are very comfortable. One of the bedrooms is sort of an alcove off the living room, so with a group, this room wouldn't have much privacy (although it does have shuttered folding doors that can close it off from the living room). I think this is the only unit in the building that is configured this way.

Yes, there are waves just outside the wide-open terrace doors that make noise all night long. Hello? You're living on the beach! Any of the buildings within a block of the beach will have this amenity - it's one of the thing I love about being on the beach. I'm a sound sleeper and I love the sound of the waves. If that's not for you, better consider something further back from the beach or up on a hill.

This is also a small (10 condos) hotel, so if you're the type who likes room service, a staff of hundreds, restaurants, a gym, business center and someone to entertain the kids, this is not the place. There's only your condo, the office and a small pool here - the attraction is the location and the beach. There are only two housekeepers and three or four staff people in the office. I love this kind of place - it's very quiet and private.

And, yes, the Blue Chairs (the gay beach club) is just 100 yards up the beach and on a busy weekend there can be hundreds of gay men in skimpy bikinis parading on the beach (and partying at the roof-top night club at the associated hotel, although I don't think that ever went past 10 PM, and usually ended earlier than that). You have to walk past the beach club and hotel to get to and from town so if you're offended by gay men, this may not be the place for you. Since I'm gay, this is one of the main reasons I stayed here.

But this place is absolutely lovely. It's like having your own home right on the beach, with the added benefit of having daily maid service. The housekeepers kept the place spotless, including mopping all of the tile floors every day. The kitchen had everything you could ever need to prepare a full-course meal (including a blender for Margaritas), although I only used it for breakfast and snacks, preferring to eat lunch on the beach (at the Blue Chairs) and dinners either at the charming restaurants in the Zona Romantica, which as others have said is only about a 10 minute walk away, or at any of the many beach-front restaurants just up the beach on Los Muertos. I want to recommend Cafe de Olla (on Basillo Badillo, two or three doors east of Olas Altas) - a great place for "Mexican specialties" - some of the best Tortilla Soup and Chiles Rellenos I've ever had.

Overall, this is the best condo hotel I've ever stayed at in Puerto Vallarta. The staff is friendly and helpful, although I didn't have much need for their services since I know PV pretty well and can find my own way around. I will definitely stay here again (and again and again, hopefully).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank JamesWhite

Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed here with my two young daughters (ages 2 & 5), husband, and mother for seven nights during spring vacation. The hotel was truly delightful. It has so much more character than larger hotels. (We stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna after having departed Vallarta Shores and although it was pleasant to be in the land of poolside beverages and room service, we were glad to have spent most of our vacation at the Vallarta Shores.)

We were fortunate to be able to stay in Penthouse A. As other guests have remarked, it's spectacular! This is one case when the website photos really aren't an exaggeration. The Penthouse is indeed that lovely! We loved having our own kitchen, especially for preparing breakfast. All of the appliances were top of the line, and on the couple of evenings that we prepared dinner at the Penthouse, my husband thoroughly enjoyed using the large outdoor grill. (No large grocery stores within easy walking distance. We liked the big grocery chain stores, can't recall the names, which you pass along the main drag on your way into town from the airport.) The beds weren't the most luxurious I've seen, but they were clean and comfortable. The master bedroom was huge, though the bathroom was nondescript. The two smaller bedrooms had pretty shutter-style windows, the entire bank of which could be slid open. They were both fronted by built-in garden boxes and opened onto the main living area. The bathrooms in the two smaller bedrooms were utterly charming! Our whole family enjoyed the private pool, and the views were spectacular.

With regards to location, it's about a ten minute walk (faster without a toddler), into the Zona Romantica area -- lots of restaurants and shops. It's not much farther to walk to the river and then over a bridge into El Centro and to the Malecon. It is near a gay hotel and there were lots of gay men on the beach, but we're of the "live and let live" ilk, so who cares? We didn't see any inappropriate behavior.

Lastly, the waves ... As another contributor indicated, the waves can be loud. They were very loud when we were there, and large enough to keep most people (certainly children) out of the water. We heard though, that that isn't typical. We slept a couple of nights with our bedroom doors opened and noticed the noise, but it didn't keep us up. The other nights, we slept with our doors closed and the air conditioning on -- that completely drowned out the sound of the waves.

One more thing. The hotel offers some concierge services. We didn't realize that and booked most things on our own before arriving. (We're pretty independent travelers.) Given how nice the staff was, we would definitely have used their services if we'd known about them. I think they can even arrange car rentals. The streets are narrow, but not bad once you get used to them.

Many thanks to Jorge and his staff for a wonderful stay. This place is really unique ... comfortable, yet authentic feeling. We loved it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Kashihara
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We stayed in penthouse A, which is a 2500sf suite that includes a private chef, private pool, 3 bedrooms, 1000+sf of comfortable patio space overlooking the ocean. The chef was phenominal, staff was amazing. Area was clean, comfortable, spacious. For families or singles. I would go back again and again and again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rainah
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is a review for both Vallarta Shore Hotel and Villa Azul (one of their other properties).

Vallarta Shores Hotel

I found this place through Tripadvisor and was pleasantly surprised to find upon our arrival that our condo (Suite 3) looked even better and more spacious than the pictures. We loved the fact that our bedroom is separated f/ the living room/kitchen and still have wide-open beachfront view from any angle of our condo. Gaby and George at the reception desk were very helpful and friendly. We were initially very pleased that we chose to come here and enjoy the authentic mexican flavor of the place for only $140/night, rather than choosing one of those mega-sized hotels in the Hotel Zone.

As to the location of this place, this is situated at the southern end of the popular beach, away from really busy and crowded parts of the beach. You will enjoy relative calm and lots of restaurants and cafes are 5-10 min walking distance. If you want to venture up to north to visit Centro (which you definitely should to experience their dynamic restaurants and bars) you can call a cab for $4-5 each way. For certain people, especially for family travelers, location might be a problem because it is adjacent to a really popular all-gay-hotel and you are bound to see lots of men in their tight speedos on the beach as well as on the streets. It didn't bother us whatsoever, but I can imagine why some people might find it not as family-friendly.

It was truly unfortunate that after spending the first night, my boyfriend and I realized a major problem - we could not sleep at all because of the sound of those incredibly strong waves! Normally, the sound of waves is soothing and would put you right to sleep. However, the waves in front of our condo were not the kind of waves one is normally accustomed to. It was just incredibly high and strong, and at night, even with all of our patio doors closed, it sounded like non-stop thunderstorm striking right into our ears. It's not that we're any more sensitive sleepers than usual. Maybe it was the high-tide season. Who knows why. Because we loved our condo, we decided to try one more night but to no avail. We felt bad to bring the problem up to the staffs because really, strong waves are not their wrongdoings. However, we didn't want to ruin our vacation by the complete lack of sleep so we talked to Gaby, who was kind enough to move us to Villa Azul for a small additional fee.

Villa Azul

SImply a gorgeous villa located up in the hill! We had 2 bedrooms, a indoor pool, kitchen, and a bar all for ourselves. We were speechless when we saw the 180 degree view of the bay from the masterbedroom (which is wide open to the air because it doesn't have any divide between the bed and the balcony) and the livingroom/kitchen area. It is not the most convenient location and it cost a little more to take taxi, but it's still totally worth staying there if you can afford one (not sure how much they cost). The only shortcoming to us was the mosquitos because the entire villa is open to the air. Use insects repellent at night otherwise you will get bitten many, many times.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travel550
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Just got back from spending a week at vallarta shores. from the moment we got there the staff was very friendly and helpful. they carried our luggage to our room and had fresh salsa and guacamole being made when we walked in. Rooms were kept very clean, stylish and staff taylored to making our stay very comfortable and friendly. Ruben and Dulce were amazing cooks and cooked breakfast and dinner for us everyday during our stay. Very nice facility with an excellent view of the beach and sunset with beach front access right from the front door. We had penthouse A and several other rooms in the hotel and couldn’t find a single thing to complain about. Would send anyone a to this hotel with a very high recommendation from our crew. Price well suited what the hotel had to offer. Could go on about this place but it’s a must see…

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hchumbley
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We love Puerto Vallarta and we love Vallarta Shores, Starting with the building, which in my opinion is the most beautiful little building on the main beach, it has so much character and architectural details that makes it very special. Having been there on different occasions I know few of the condos, and all of the ones I have stayed, are oceanfront, not just from the bedrooms, but also from the living room, and I have been around quite a bit, so I know what oceanfront cost, that is another reason why I found a great value in this hotel.
We had flat screen TVs in our condo and the decoration is in a mexican style that I find very charming and matches perfectly with the building. This time I found in the bedrooms, nice mexican colorful commodes with marble top, that were not there last time, mattresses were thick and comfortable. Our condo had no microwave, but we asked for one and got it in minutes. We got our laundry done same day at a very reasonable price, and front desk were very good with restaurant and tour reservations
Location is very important for me, and their location is hard to beat, right on the main beach but at the end, where is nice and quiet, and still just a short walk to the busy part, where you find shopping, like Olas Altas street, The downtown Malecon (water walk)… Also some of the nicest restaurants in town are walking distance: Maximilians, La Palapa, Daiquiri Dicks and many others that are always packed like Café de Olla and Andales or the Pancake house for breakfast.
The area is hard to described, it is full of life, there are many little stores, lots of people around in the narrow busy cobblestones streets going down to the main beach that is packed with tourists and locals. The whole area is very safe, I feel safe there, even when we walk around very late at night.
Those are some of the reasons why we keep coming back to Vallarta Shores

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank genovevaK
Reviewed February 12, 2010

We where treated like family. The beds and pillows were wonderful, I won't have to pack mine again when we go again. Beautiful location, right on the beach. One of the few places that I would go back to and we will be going back next year..
The room was spacious and ery comfortable. We fely very safe here.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family