“Our new favorite place to stay in PV!”
Review of Vallarta Shores

Vallarta Shores
Ranked #3 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Santa Fe, NM
“Our new favorite place to stay in PV!”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have been to Puerto Vallarta several years in a row and have stayed in a different place each time. Vallarta Shores is our favorite. If you love Old Mexico charm, spectacular views and being right on the beach, as we do, you will love it, too.
We had major hassles with our reservations because we went through an agent at Vallarta Escapes. Big mistake! Just go directly through the hotel.
This is at the quiet end of the beach and past the end of the malecon. In other words, there are not rows and rows of palapas with rows and rows of chairs with a steady stream of vendors trying to sell you something. It is busier (and louder) on the weekend with families coming in, but we didn't mind that. We nearly always walked to and from town. If we decided to take a cab, it was about $5 for 3 of us from almost anywhere.
We loved the sound of crashing waves morning and night. It's a stunning beach. Some of the rooms could use some upgrading, others not so much. But we would rather have character than everything spiffy and new. The pool is small and does not get sun in the spring so the water is quite cold. We never wanted the pool because we spent every day on the beach.
Daniel and the entire staff could not be more welcoming. It is quiet laid back service, and always available. I'm glad our hunt for the perfect place to stay in PV is over!

Room Tip: Check out the photos and descriptions on their website. They are accurate and informative.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank hellorandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My trip began with losing my cell phone and Rueben, the front office manager was on the phone to the taxi company and to the airline minutes after my arrival. I was amazed at their service and comforted by their perseverance in finding my phone!!
This hotel is the only authentic "spanish style" hotel on Los Muertos. It is the exact opposite of the 70' monolithic, sterile condos that face the beach. Additionally, it is the only hotel that opens directly onto the beach.
Our two bedroom suite was HUGE. It included an open air living room, spacious foyer, closets galore, two beautiful bathrooms and a sizable dressing room. The space is GREAT for entertaining - good lighting and expansive views of the beach and ocean. We stayed for six days and made all sorts of "vacation" friends at the Green Chairs and the Blue Chairs on the beach (both a one minute walk down the beach). At the end of our trip we invited twelve guys back to our place for cocktails and enjoyed the sunset. It was great to share such a beautiful place that night. We easily could have had forty people!!
One day I mentioned to Rueben at the front desk that I would like a massage and he had a guy at the hotel in minutes. Great massage too!!
If you're the kind of person that likes a laid back place that keeps you right on the beach, away from cars, noise (and shoes!) then this is the place for you. The pricing is a bargain, the service is attentive and appropriate and the setting is amazing. I wouldn't stay at any other property on the beach - ever.

Room Tip: I've toured through the two penthouses and two, two bedrooms, and one, one bedroom and all were...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dadfruit
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Been to this property several times and enjoyed location, which at the end of a long street. Close to old part of town but far away from the congested beach seen this near this property. The layout is a single floor with 2 bedroom, small kitchen, and living room, and two bath rooms. Fits easily 3 people and there is a small kitchen, stove, and coffee machine. We recommend that you make sure stove & coffee machine is functional. The property needs updating but most of Mexico does, and this is not the Hilton, Ritz, Four Season or new resort/spa that can be found at other property. She get a classic Mexican style property that is safe, and has friendly staff. You have free wifi, TV, and maid service. The hot water was out for several days, but the owner did call me at my office after I returned to the US and was very sorry for this. A water line issue. At night you can hear the ocean and we left our balcony doors open.
I recommend you rent above the ground floor, and also note no elevators, therefore, the second floor is the best. Beds are firm but comfortable. Recommend going to the local stores in new part of town to pick of groceries (like water), and avoid the grocery store located in the old town. Many great places to eat in walking range.
Overall, I have a good experience, like before, and would return to this property.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor. Stay on second, the best. Make sure you have ocean view with balcony. Also, ma...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank gsahagun
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Well, I just stayed at the Vallarta Shores again from 2/25 - 2/29/12 w a different group of friends. I had tried to get my friend to change the reservation to a newer/more modern/better maintained condo or hotel, but to no avail. Well, after this experience, he realized that he should have listened to me! The Vallarta Shores is still has some good qualities, including a great beach front location & charming country Mexican decor. We really liked the small private beach area (w palapas & chairs) right in front of the bldg, which was quiet, pretty, & serene. The staff are nice, but not always very effective. We stayed in unit #2 this time, & I MUCH preferred this unit to #5. The main difficulty we had was that we had NO hot water for the last 1 1/2 days! This was very annoying & inconvenient. My friend, who speaks fluent Spanish, asked the staff multiple times to resolve this problem, but we still had no hot water the day we checked out. This bldg could be very very nice if they could only invest the $ to upgrade & repair it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank hirogreen
vsmanager, Manager at Vallarta Shores, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
We are truly sorry and apologize to our guests for any inconvienience the water outage has caused. A busted intake valve caused main cisterne to run dry. Fixed within 30 hrs.
Fairfax, California
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My partner and I just returned from having one of our best vacations .We stayed 2 weeks. Being able to walk from our spacious "Villa Style " 2 bedroom suite, right in front of the beach, to Vallarta's best restaurants & the colonial section of Old Vallarta was an added plus. The staff was always there when needed. Can't wait to go back !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Margaret Y
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 18, 2012

In the early part of January, I spent a week at Vallarta Shores hotel. I am legally blind and found the hotel to be very accommodating to my condition. I can see movement although a bit blurry. Unlike another hotel we almost stayed at who advertised, "Beach Side", Vallarta Shores is DIRECTLY on the beach, We stayed in unit #7 and I must say this was perfect for me! I could relax on the terrace, watching the movement on the beach, the people, the waves and most of all the sunsets. The condo is multi-level, so I thought I would have difficulty moving around, but the colorful decorations throughout were very helpful!

When they attentive staff noticed my condition, they asked if binoculars would help and offered a pair to me. I tried them and they helped a lot! Still was not able to make things out clearly. But now at least the view was close up!

At night, I was able to hear the waves and the beach dancing together, sleeping like a baby every night.

The staff are very personable and helpful. Daniel and Ruben, Paty and Felix especially!

We have made reservations for next year as we want to be sure we have unit 7 again.

We highly recommend Vallarta Shores hotel

Room Tip: Best to arrange your pets ahead of time. Number 7 is the best!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kandi K
Ironton, MO
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just returned from our 11Th visit to Vallarta Shores. We stayed a total of 17 days. The first 7 nights in Penthouse A with family and friends. For the final 10 days (with our company gone) we moved to Suite #4, a beautiful spacious room with a wonderful view of the beach. You are just steps away from the ocean.

We loved the private balcony, a perfect place to have a meal, drink, read a book, or just people watch. We actually sighted whales several times breaching not 200 yards from our balcony! With the sounds of the waves and the ocean breeze, it was a wonderful, romantic vacation.

Jorge, Ruben & staff are fantastic people. They make Vallatra Shores the place to stay while in PV. The take such great care of us. We have already booked our vacation for next year with them.

Room Tip: We loved Suite #4
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple