“wonderful get-a-way accomodations”
Review of Casa Dulce Vida

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Dulce Vida
Ranked #22 of 71 Puerto Vallarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We spent 7 days in Casa 2. The casa was roomy, clean, and very comfortable. It was next to the pool, and it felt like we had the pool all to ourselves. Audrey, Chawnalee, Lee and their staff are extremely friendly and helpful. We will definitely return sometime, and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2008

My wife and I were travelling to Nuevo Vallarta for a company function and wanted to come early to get a more authentic PV feel before being banished to "AI" Land.

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor I contacted Casa Dulce Vida directly to check for availability and b/c it's the slow season (our stay was 5/16) we were able to get a room. And what a "room" it was. Great Views, access to the beautiful pool and gardens, and great location in the city.

My wife and I had GREAT stay and would definitely put this at the top of our list for future visits to PV. WAY better than any AI out in Nuevo Vallarta.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdventureFamily
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at the Dulce Vida during memorial day weekend in May 2007 for 2 nights. After reading all the reviews on TA, we decided to take a chance and stay here for 2 nights and the Westin by the Marina for 1 night (read review for Westin) I LOVE the dulce vida. Only 1 other couple was there during our stay. We stayed in Casa 5. Our Casa was sooo big! We loved having breakfast in the morning on our private patio area with a gorgeous view of the ocean. Fireworks at 9pm every night. Easy walk to the Malecon. Yes, the walk is a bit harder going back to the Casa but still a nice walk (10 min max). We explored the neighborhood and took photos with the local ladies/children. We took advantage of restaurant week (from mid May to end of May every year) and had delicious prix-fixe dinners for $25.00 pp. We had dinner the first night at LA PALAPA. Romantic restaurant on the beach. 30 minutes walk along the beach from Dulce. Dinner the next night at Cafe Des Artistes. Very artsy. Great food and atmosphere. It's only a 5 minute walk from Dulce. We walked around the downtown area during the day and relaxed by the pool (very pretty red tiles in person) It is a bit hot a night. Just leave the fan on and open the windows and doors. Very safe. There are also a lot of clubs and bars near by for those of you who want to party. Very convenient! We will be back again in a few weeks with friends. Can't wait!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gnawh2
Reviewed April 29, 2008

this just shows you how valuable trip advisor is. We have been going to Cabo San Lucas for a while to another small boutique hotel we love - but wanted to go to PV. Dulce Vida looked great and the reviews were all very positive.

Well, once we got there - we stayed in casa 4 it was incredible. What a fantastic place. Casa 4 is it's own large house that can easily fit 4 - 6 people. We ate a Cafe Artiste down the street and it was one of the best dinners we have had ever.

We're coming back in the summer with kids and friends and can't wait to get back. I can't say enough about the place or Audrey and the service.

Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flytraeger
Reviewed April 5, 2008

The Casa Dulce Vida is a charming old-style place. If you want a more authentic and personable setting than the plastic and anonymous hotel experience, you’ve found your oasis. The “Casa” is actually seven spacious apartments each with a semi-private patio opening to a common pool area and overlooking the ocean.

Your hosts, Audrey and Lee do an excellent job of keeping the place up and looking after folks without being intrusive. The rooms are bright, airy and have nice views of the ocean. Greeting the day by having our morning coffee out on our patio was our favorite part of the trip. One night we watched whales breach and blow over cocktails from our patio and the sunsets are not to be missed. In addition, the pool was clean and refreshing and the grounds were well kept.

So, a couple of things to keep in mind. This is an older establishment, not everything is in perfect working order, but it is clean and well kept. Our casa had a few loose tiles, the water wasn’t always hot, the maids walked in on us at inappropriate times on a couple of occasions, and the location, toward the end of Aldama Avenue, up a steep hill and even steeper steps to your casa, would not be appropriate for folks that are health challenged. All that said, we travel extensively and we would re-book at the Casa Dulce Vida without hesitation. The other folks in our party were staying at the luxurious El Presidente, spent a lot more money and ended up envying our spacious Casa and location in the heart of the City.

On to PV itself. This formerly charming little fishing town on Banderas Bay has evolved into a disco-fueled, mini-Cancun—and that is not a good thing in my mind. Tourism is the big thing going on in town and the attendant vendors of para-sailing, time-shares, atv tours, fishing charters, tequila tasting, etc., etc., etc., is what now constitutes entertainment in PV. While we would gladly stay at Casa Dulce Vida again, there is no way I would return to PV unless I wanted that totally alien, tourist experience. What goes on in PV has nothing to do with authentic Mexico and more in line with the Mexican version of Las Vegas. Prices have also risen to what that market will bear and restaurants and shops charge the same or more than you would pay at home. Shockingly, even tequila is as expensive in PV as it is in the States – deplorable! I ended up buying two bottles unavailable in the US at Costco (which is where I recommend you go for basics if needed). For the best fish tacos in town try the Marisas taco stand south of the hotel, we ate there once a day.

Anyhow, the moral of the story, if traveling to PV: Casa Dulce Vida; the proprietors: Audrey and Lee; and the tacos at Marisas were charming and authentic experiences. If you want the plastic hustle of an overly-touristy resort town stay somewhere else and enjoy what poor old PV has become. John Huston is rolling in his grave.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2008

As other reviewers have observed, how much you like Casa Dulce Vida may depend on which casa you're in. I stayed in casa 5, which was lovely: a very spacious one-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment (with two extra twin beds in the living room) with a private patio overlooking the ocean. Casa Dulce Vida has a good location in the center of Puerto Vallarta, close to many restaurants and the ocean. Nice pool area, friendly owners. I also liked the fact that it was located in an ordinary residential neighborhood (rather than a tourist ghetto). All in all, a real bargain at $125 per night. My only small complaint is that the wireless internet did not reach my room, and so I brought my laptop down to a common area when I wanted to go online. While casa 7 probably has good reception, I'd think that that room gets a fair amount of street noise.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My wife and I booked casa #2 for 21 nights. We were warmly greeted by Audrey and Lee, the cold beer offered upon arrival was a very nice touch. The hosts are masters at arranging pretty much anything your heart desires - tours, pedi and manicures, they even have a fabulous masseuse on call. My wife had a massage each of the 3 weeks we were there and she says they were the best massages she has ever had.

You may choose to have as much or as little interaction with staff and other guests as you wish. We were there to get completely away and disconnect and this is were Casa Dulce Vida shines. You are literally in your own, quiet, secluded world. No tv's - radios or other distractions. The dusty - gritty old part of PV is just on the other side of the gate and a world away.

You'll be serenaded by a blind rooster most of the night and you'll wonder what-in-the-world is clanking down the cobblestone hill at 2 in the morning, but it all grows on you.

What will never grow on us though, and this is really too bad for the Casa because it does have its charm, is being awakened in the middle of the night by cockroaches. We had lots and lots of cockroaches. So bad, in fact that we spent 2 nights in another hotel. The staff was sorry for the inconvenience and they sprayed Raid for 3 days and called in a Professional as well, but we simply could not sleep in the bedroom, ever again. They did move our bed to the dining room and that's where we slept for the last week of our stay. Audrey did treat my wife to a free massage, which I was grateful for, but I feel that more should have been offered for the 2 nights of lost sleep and the 2 nights that we had to move to another hotel to let the Raid do its job.

Finally, on the day we left we were given the bum's rush and that really hurt. Checkout is Noon and although I reconfirmed this several times with Audrey, when we returned from a morning stroll at 11:00 they were painting in the casa and the maid had cleaned the bathroom and taken not just the towels and handtowels, but she took the roll of toilet paper, spindle and all, just so we could not use our own bathroom. Truth be told - that made the difference in whether or not I would write this review.

And on that note we were bade farwell.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family