“Lovely spiritual experience. Resort needs to work on a few details still.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xinalani Retreat

Xinalani Retreat
New York City, New York
“Lovely spiritual experience. Resort needs to work on a few details still.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Overall, this was a great experience. What made this retreat most extraordinary is the fantastic group of people I got to meet and connect with. Each morning, you have breakfast at a communal table. Yoga class follows and then free time before lunch with the group again. I enjoyed my experience and am happy I was able to disconnect from city life and remember that the simplest things in life bring the most joy.

The resort is quite new - only three seasons in, and it was clear that there are definitely areas they can improve on. There wasn't a lot of attention to detail - our scheduled activities had issues (wrong date recorded by the staff, overbooked, etc). When addressing this with the front desk, they were not helpful until I made it clear I wasn't happy with the situation and was not going to accept the mistake with just an apology. Hopefully in time (and more training) they will improve the service in that regard.

The food was good - Chef Felix is talented and puts a lot of love in the meals. But if you have special dietary needs (eg: a vegetarian or someone who needs meat), you'll probably get frustrated.

Make sure you bring ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise (because you are sleeping in front of the ocean and the waves can get loud at night). I found it soothing but some others found it hard to sleep through. Bring bug spray - we made a natural one made of tea tree oil, witch hazel and lavender. Bring a book light to read at night as the rooms are quite dark. They do not have decaf tea at night (which is something we all wanted since you don't want to be caffeinated before bed), so bring that.

It can get chilly at night so bring a light sweater.

Go to Xinalani with an open heart and you'll be amazed by the people you meet and the experience you will have.

Room Tip: There are a LOT of stairs. If you can't handle the walk, you may want to ask for a room closer t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsAmyChan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is a fantastic, little retreat in the middle of the jungle with a great ocean view with all services. Eco-friendly and family friendly. The food was a dream, incredibly fantastic, Perfect in every way. The service is amazing, everyone is willing to help you and serve you all the time. I traveled with my 4 year old and my mom, and it was perfect for all of us even though I was kind of worried as I went for a yoga retreat. At the end it worked out perfectly!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

OMG - best place ever! Go to their website and look at the pictures - they are all unbelievable and all real! It was way more than I ever expected. Food was delicious and staff wonderful. Very clean! Do know though that there are a lot of stairs involved so you get your exercise - which was great for me:) Water is very warm to swim in too.

Room Tip: I was in an Eco Chic Suite and I loved it!
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a spectacularly beautiful place. I went to a yoga retreat for spirited women there in October. I can't really think of any negatives. The facility to unique and beautiful, the yoga was superb. The food and the staff were so friendly and accommodating. The beach is swimmable warm and amazing. Chef Felix fed and treated us like queens. We did lots of extras. It was a very memorable week. Thank you Xinalani for being there and doing what you do so well!!!!!!!!!!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I just returned from a 7 day yoga retreat at Xinalani and would happily return tomorrow. From the moment we arrived, Arturo and staff made us feel very welcome. The property has a lovely beach, fantastic to swim or lounge. The cottages are clean and comfortable, with some electricity for charging cell phones or powering fans. The beds were comfortable and I slept like a baby. The yoga space was at the top of a long, meandering flight of stairs, but I actually enjoyed the twice daily walk to yoga. If inclines are difficult, this may not be the space for you. Chef Felix and staff delighted us each day with a variety of fresh juices and soups, salads and hot dishes. We ate very well. There is a full bar available. Izaias makes a fine drink. Berenice went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. She set up a snorkeling excursion for our group, close to the hotel and some of the best snorkeling I've seen. On our day of departure, our group was lucky enough to see whales right in front of the hotel. Fantastic trip!

1 Thank Mary L
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just got back from a Solo 6 day personal retreat. All I can say is my entire week was so full of "Life does not get any better" moments!

The beauty, the food (The new chef is phenomenal), the staff, the rooms, the yoga, the massages (Angel was fantastic) the warm ocean water...it all exceeded any of my expectations! The entire staff made me feel like I was right at home...I could not have picked a more perfect place to "unplug" from the world!

Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Be prepared to climb stairs...it is so worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

As a frequent solo traveller I have to be very budget conscious. Xinalani was a splurge even with a discount and a special treat. I was looking for somewhere that I could do yoga everyday and still chill out without having to worry about searching for meals or entertainment. They have done so much right at xinalani it's hard to know where to start. For me the highlight was the food. Chef Felix Cabrera takes great pride in providing exceptional quality and flavour in his very healthy food. I don't think I have ever eaten so well. He was always aware of varying food tastes as well for those a little more fussy as another guest pointed out to me. I am still mildly mad at him for not sharing his carrot muffin recipe tho! The staff is incredibly accommodating and always willing to provide you with what you need even if its a small Spanish lesson. Going in the off season was nice since they upgraded my room (I loved that) and they didn't charge for use of kayaks etc but it made doing any excursions difficult since they required a minimum number of people. I didn't mind that since I was really only there for the yoga. Sceptical at first since it was a Hatha style class and the first instructor, who was filling in for the regular resident teacher, seemed pretty new at teaching but I thought it could only get better. And it did. Adriana (I think that was her name?) seemed to sense every day which part of my body needed some focus. She really challenged me to push myself harder and did it in stages so it was always a gradual progression. She hasn't been teaching long but is very very good at what she does. I liked the bilingual aspect of the class but would have been fine if it had been all in Spanish...a nice way to work on my language skills! The Eco concsious side of xinalani is a nice touch even if the dim lighting in The middle of a jungle can take some getting used to. I was thankful for the wifi since there is not much to do at night and most people go to bed early. Very clean and well maintained and when they finally get all the construction that needs doing done it will be a very restful place to be. Do pay for the taxi ride to and from, it's one less thing to worry about and nice to see a sign with your name on it at the airport. Be prepared for lots of stairs and if you enjoy beer or wine at night be ready to pay for that (probably my biggest complaint) and the bugs were a bit annoying. Do get a massage, the therapists are fantastic and being a masseuse myself that says a lot!. I hope xinalani can maintain the high standards they have set for themselves, I imagine once word gets out I won't be able to afford to go there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#4 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#12 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,143 reviews
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
Villa Lala Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boca de Tomatlan

Been to Xinalani Retreat? Share your experiences!