“A slice of Heaven”
Review of Xinalani Retreat

and 1 more site!
Xinalani Retreat
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I just returned from a 7 day yoga retreat at Xinalani and would happily return tomorrow. From the moment we arrived, Arturo and staff made us feel very welcome. The property has a lovely beach, fantastic to swim or lounge. The cottages are clean and comfortable, with some electricity for charging cell phones or powering fans. The beds were comfortable and I slept like a baby. The yoga space was at the top of a long, meandering flight of stairs, but I actually enjoyed the twice daily walk to yoga. If inclines are difficult, this may not be the space for you. Chef Felix and staff delighted us each day with a variety of fresh juices and soups, salads and hot dishes. We ate very well. There is a full bar available. Izaias makes a fine drink. Berenice went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. She set up a snorkeling excursion for our group, close to the hotel and some of the best snorkeling I've seen. On our day of departure, our group was lucky enough to see whales right in front of the hotel. Fantastic trip!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary L
There are newer reviews for Xinalani Retreat

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just got back from a Solo 6 day personal retreat. All I can say is my entire week was so full of "Life does not get any better" moments!

The beauty, the food (The new chef is phenomenal), the staff, the rooms, the yoga, the massages (Angel was fantastic) the warm ocean water...it all exceeded any of my expectations! The entire staff made me feel like I was right at home...I could not have picked a more perfect place to "unplug" from the world!

Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Be prepared to climb stairs...it is so worth it!
Reviewed October 15, 2012

As a frequent solo traveller I have to be very budget conscious. Xinalani was a splurge even with a discount and a special treat. I was looking for somewhere that I could do yoga everyday and still chill out without having to worry about searching for meals or entertainment. They have done so much right at xinalani it's hard to know where to start. For me the highlight was the food. Chef Felix Cabrera takes great pride in providing exceptional quality and flavour in his very healthy food. I don't think I have ever eaten so well. He was always aware of varying food tastes as well for those a little more fussy as another guest pointed out to me. I am still mildly mad at him for not sharing his carrot muffin recipe tho! The staff is incredibly accommodating and always willing to provide you with what you need even if its a small Spanish lesson. Going in the off season was nice since they upgraded my room (I loved that) and they didn't charge for use of kayaks etc but it made doing any excursions difficult since they required a minimum number of people. I didn't mind that since I was really only there for the yoga. Sceptical at first since it was a Hatha style class and the first instructor, who was filling in for the regular resident teacher, seemed pretty new at teaching but I thought it could only get better. And it did. Adriana (I think that was her name?) seemed to sense every day which part of my body needed some focus. She really challenged me to push myself harder and did it in stages so it was always a gradual progression. She hasn't been teaching long but is very very good at what she does. I liked the bilingual aspect of the class but would have been fine if it had been all in Spanish...a nice way to work on my language skills! The Eco concsious side of xinalani is a nice touch even if the dim lighting in The middle of a jungle can take some getting used to. I was thankful for the wifi since there is not much to do at night and most people go to bed early. Very clean and well maintained and when they finally get all the construction that needs doing done it will be a very restful place to be. Do pay for the taxi ride to and from, it's one less thing to worry about and nice to see a sign with your name on it at the airport. Be prepared for lots of stairs and if you enjoy beer or wine at night be ready to pay for that (probably my biggest complaint) and the bugs were a bit annoying. Do get a massage, the therapists are fantastic and being a masseuse myself that says a lot!. I hope xinalani can maintain the high standards they have set for themselves, I imagine once word gets out I won't be able to afford to go there again!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

i spent a week there on a yoga retreat. the location is great and the rooms and general architecture were lovely and the staff were charming. HOWEVER, the food was simply so-so. while they tried to accommodate my vegan diet out of the 18 meals served, only four salads...and some meals i couldn't eat at all. for this kind of money, there should be a gigantic salad bar available for lunch and dinner.

they nickled and dimed the guests, every single activity was at an extra inflated cost and they had the nerve to suggest/request a 15% tip PER DAY for the staff which would equate to hundreds of dollars for the week. why not just pay their employees more? also, don't go in october, hot as an oven and i was chomped on by hungry bugs from morning till evening. why didn't they burn herbal coils during meal times to mitigate the bugs?

also, they were doing lot's of work and there were days they had work men making noise while i was trying to relax in the public spaces and during meals. there was a funky smell from the public space toilet that i could smell during meal times. not great. the expensive suites were rather exposed to foot traffic.

they have good intentions but can improve in very simple ways to justify the cost.

Room Tip: i stayed in suite 10. very private. the more expensive suites were rather exposed to food traffic.
1  Thank WendyGreenYoga
ParisTravelfreak, Owner at Xinalani Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Jungleful,

Boy you did not leave us much time to start missing you before sending us news from you through TripAdvisor. Notwithstanding the fact that you're a retreat owner and by bashing us on this website, you're violating TA's guidelines, we'll take some time to answer you.

We truly appreciate your efforts to find positive things to say (the architect and decorator send their best).

We're very sorry you had to write about what appears to be an unpleasant experience at Xinalani despite our very best efforts to please you and satisfy every single special request you expressed while on property. But we feel grateful that life sometimes sends us challenging people so we can improve.

I truly recommend before you book your next vacation that you take the time to read your destination resort's website, it can indeed be very helpful to determine wether or not the place is suitable for your personal tastes and budget.

Should you have browsed our website priorly to booking your stay with us, you would have read in details about:
- activity prices
- food and beverage menu and inclusions
- staff gratuity questions
- average air temperature in October and any other month

For record's sake I will just correct the most obviously twisted of your arbitrary judgements list:
- We don't request a 15% tip. However, when asked, we suggest a $15 per day per person additional gratuity. Most guests praise the overall quality of service and leave much higher gratifications, but any staff gratuity is optional (by definition)
- A recent survey showed that the wages (ie before gratuity) at Xinalani are among the highest of the job market throughout the Bay of Banderas, hence making it one of the top places to work
- October air temperatures average 90 by day and 73 by night, wether it feels hot to you or not, the information is available anywhere, including our website
- The (hypothetical) bugs must have preferred your blood because I was here all week during your stay and didn't get a single bite.
- As for the funky smell and the noise, if smell and noise there was, you should have reported that to management
- The expensive suites are not exposed to foot traffic as anyone can see on our online property map

I thank you for saying we have good intentions, perhaps that might inspire you.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

There are such great things about Xinalani, the location, the yoga, the food, and the excursions! The staff though are what really make the place magical!!! Loved them all, Modesto, Angel, Marco, Izaies. And you must have the chocolate cake by Chef Felix!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012

There are no words that can explain the experience that Xinalani provides. I had never heard of Xinalani and my husband booked the trip for me to take some mommy time to relax, heal, and unwind. He could not have picked a better place to send me....

The people....I am not sure how they managed to find so many wonderful, friendly, kind staff members, but all of the staff members went out of their way at every moment to ensure my stay was wonderful. Ortoro, Freddie, Marcus, Jose, Isaias, Sergio, Berenice, et all Thank you so much!!!

The ocean/beach....I spent a lot of time floating in the ocean, laying on the beach and walking up and down their little beach. A perfect setting to relax and just enjoy nature. So many neat natural inhabitants to observe.

The food....Chef Sergio provides a delicious dining experience. I wanted to pack him up and bring him home with me. I have a gluten intolerance and they went out of their way to ensure I was taken care of. The food was so simple, fresh, and organic, yet ever so tasty. One couple stated that they were "San Francisco food snobs and they thought the food was excellent". I am not that picky, but it was superb in my opinion. At home most food makes me sick. Not once did the food not settle well. When you can feed me 3 meals a day for 10 days straight and have me absolutely love all of them I consider that an amazing feat.

The spa...I was lucky enough to get 2 massages while I was visiting. Angel provided the best massage that I have ever had. A number of other people received massages from him as well and could not stop raving. I also heard that one young lady loved her facial.

The yoga...the studio provided such a unique environment to practice. Listening to the ocean. Visually taking in the ocean, blue sky and jungle. Feeling the cool breeze move through the great open air facility. I was lucky enough to meet and be able to learn from Argelia. Not only is she a great yoga instructor, but a wonderful person.

The excursions...were wonderful. Xinalani has definitely found the great excursions and only offer good experiences. I was able to swim in the ocean with wild dolphins. What a neat way to experience these incredible animals in their natural environment. I was also able to do the jungle fever experience, where we got to have a mule ride, repel waterfalls, and fly on zip lines. It was so much fun from the word go and the guides kept us laughing the entire time on top of a fun experience.

Eco-Chic Suite...what an elegant, back to nature, sexy, peaceful, clean facility. My room was amazing and so peaceful. Laying on the hammock overlooking the ocean with trees surrounding you. How could you ask for anything better? The three walled suites allows you to feel connected to the ocean and provides a restful, open air sleep.

Cleanliness...housekeeping was amazing. Always available with a smile and did a superb job.

Safety....I never once felt unsafe. I did not feel like I even needed to lock my room. I walked alone into the neighboring village and was greeted by many great people, not once feeling uncomfortable.

Summary….if you are in need of a getaway to relax and heal within nature this is the place for you!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Angela B
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed at Xinalani for a solo yoga retreat and couldn't have been happier. I felt that there were no surprises and everything that was in the marketing material was exactly what you got. Every penny was well spent. Everyone at the resort from the guests to the employees were warm and friendly, the rooms were clean and beautiful, the yoga was great for every level, the scenery was beautiful, and the food was phenomenal! I will defiantly be going back.
Hints:
-Do keep in mind that it's a little rustic and people are here to get away from the hustle and bustle. Everyone goes to bed pretty much by 10pm.
-Paying the $100 for the transportation is well worth it.
-Traveling solo is fine (don't be scared), I made some great friends and didn't eat a meal by myself.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank MerriBerri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#13 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#3 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites ...
#10 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#25 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Xinalani Retreat? Share your experiences!