“Great Italian Food in the heart of Old Puerto Vallarta”
Review of funiculi Trattoria

funiculi Trattoria
Ranked #635 of 1,072 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: I googled and found it in an article that someone fron the Calgary Herald wrote about Puerto Vallarta. This is a great place to eat Italian food. It is owned by Roman Antonio Barbato and his Mexican wife. It is a small family operated restaurant that serves excellent quite reasonable food.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I were one of her first customers when the lovely Hortencia opened her restaurant 5 or 6 years ago. We and other members of our family have eaten there many times and are never disappointed. Although Hortencia is Mexican, her flair for Italian cuisine is obvious when one tastes her food. Her menu consists of mainly freshly made pastas with a choice of meat balls, meat or tomato sauces all delightfully spiced with fresh herbs and prepared with a lot of love.

The pasta is preceded by a freshly made salad c/w a simple but tasty dressing and let's not forget the very good flat bread sprinkled with fresh rosemary and baked in the in-house pizza oven - delicious!

Wine and beer is available but one can bring one's own wine if one prefers.

1  Thank Robert B

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

As I write this, I'm pausing from enjoying my spaghetti bolognese listening to a harpist play live music. What else can you ask for?

The pasta is cooked just right, al dente. The meat sauce seasoned so perfectly and slathered all over the pasta. A great portion to be sure but I'm not letting any of it go to waste.

What I didn't expect was the wonderful salad that came before the pasta. a plate of fresh lettuce and red luscious, sun ripened tomatoes dressed in a light balsamic vinaigrette.

This is a small place with a little quaint courtyard. The staff is attentive but lefty alone to write this review.

Now, what am I gonna get for dessert.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just stumbled on this great little place when the one we wanted had closed. It's very friendly, reasonable fast and has a good wine selection. With your meal there is a house salad and foccacia bread. We had the pasta primavera and pasta pomadero and both were freshly cooked and excellent. ....200 pesos each for everything including a glass of wine and a tip! Bonus...they had live harp music that night!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Usually the food is the star of the show, but the effusive owner and handsome waiter make this a very pleasant dining spot. I imagine salads are included with each entree(which is strange as some of the entrees ARE salads) but all I know is that seconds after we sat down (as always, after trying various spots to see which was furthest from the more annoying voices of fellow diners) we were presented with a very generously sized and delicious mixed salad with a tasty vinaigrette. I ordered the meatballs and spaghetti -- actually the most expensive item on the menu although it wasn't really expensive at all--and my partner had the spaghetti bolognese. Both were excellent. And huge (although we did-- gluttons that we are--finish every morsel.) Accompanying the meal was what was introduced as focaccia , but was we think actually pizza dough speckled with lots of rosemary-- also delicious. And also totally finished by us. All in all, a very nice meal.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to this restaurant again last night which never ceases to please us with the service and the food. To start, we were served HUGE full goblets of the house Carménère, a freshly made salad with the house vinagrette and hot garlic focaccia sprinkled with parmesan and fresh rosemary. The latter was made right before our eyes, with the dough tossed in the air by their very talented, very young chef who mans the built-in brick oven. Salad and focaccia are complimentary with every pasta dish.

My husband had the pasta primavera and I had the cannelloni with tomato sauce. Both were large portions, served piping hot. We opted for the vegetarian versions last night although you can get a grilled chicken breast with the primavera and a meat sauce with the cannelloni for a small extra charge. We ended our meal with coffee Americano and shared a heavenly slice of chocolate cake.

With a generous tip, the meal came to $500 pesos. At first we were worried when we were the only ones there at 7:30PM but by the time we left, Funiculi was packed. Plus they do a thriving take-out business and the pizzas looked and smelled incredible! So nice to see this great local place doing so well.