“Nice tour, terrible owner”

Eco Ride Mountain Bike & Hiking Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Now in our 14th year here in gorgeous Puerto Vallarta, EcoRide Mex offers a wide variety of rides for the mountain biking enthusiast, as well as hikes for the equally outdoorsy! Explore the coastal jungle on one of our awesome bikes and enjoy the ride. It's Beautiful!
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Overall, the trip was OK, if a bit expensive for what it is. My guide Britany was very nice and took me to a lovely waterfall. Overall, I had a good time with it and was happy when i got back to the main office expecting a tasty lunch to be greeting me as was clearly stated in the flyer they had given me the previous day. They were pretty much trying to just send me on my way when I asked where lunch was. The owner then told me that there was no lunch included. I then showed him a flyer that indicated lunch was included and he just laughed (somewhat apologetically) and said that was an old flyer. I then said 'well don't you think you should do something about it'. He then became quite rude and eventually gave me back a fairly small amount (not even enough for a couple of tacos) and then said 'don't you think you should tip your guide??' and made me feel like a total jerk for simply expecting what was advertised. Since this wasn't Britany's fault, I gave her the money as a tip anyway, but I'm sure he simply demanded it back from her.

Unfortunatley I have to give the trip a 'terrible rating' instead of 'good' because of this experience which left a very poor taste in my mouth.

I took this trip back in April of 2011. I'm currently planning another trip but I've decided to come back to Trip Advisor more than a year later to post this. It was that bad.

4  Thank DamosR
ecoridemex, Owner at Eco Ride Mountain Bike & Hiking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

As the owner of Eco Ride, I do want to say that this client was accidentally given an old flyer when lunch was once included on tours. We definitely regret the mixup and the way the customer felt he was treated. We consider good service and friendliness as important as the mountain biking around here, so we want to send out our apologies to anyone who's feelings were hurt. And rest assured, the awesome Brittany received (and was able to keep) her tip! She said she was able to get 4 tacos with it. Once again, we apologize for the mixup!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I took the El Salto Waterfall trip with Rogelio and a friendly couple from Denver and was quite pleased with the experience. The road up to the waterfall included cobblestones in Vallarta, a gravel road, and then a loosely packed dirt road with steep climbs and descents. It was a challenging ride, both techinically and aerobically, but Rogelio was very patient and made sure that we made it safely to the beautiful, refreshing waterfall on the Cuale River. We spent about an hour at the waterfall, swimming and relaxing, before a mostly downhill journey back to the shop via a lovely restaurant/bar on the river where the owner offered free beers to all bikers. There was no actual single track on this trip, but the loosely packed dirt and rocks on the final portion provided enough challenges.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I are intermediate-level mountain bikers. We had been looking for something to do in PV that was not too tourist-ie and gave us a chance to experience some local color. Rogelio and his friends at Eco Ride were the ticket. In every way, they were focused on ensuring we had a good time. The equipment was great - my bike was a brand new Giant mountain bike with full suspension, a large selection of helmets, gloves, they provided plenty of water. All of it was clean and in great shape. They were hospitable, accommodating, friendly, personable, you name it! We have a timeshare in PV and will being riding with them every time we go back. If you want to ride into the mountains around PV call these guys! Thanks Rogelio!!

1  Thank Lewis B
Reviewed September 7, 2012

On our second full day in PV, my wife agreed to go on a mountain bike tour with me. It was early September and the heat was intense (must have been 90+), but Rogelio still made the ride very enjoyable. To begin with, when I contacted them online, Brittany responded almost immediately and agreed to accommodate us for a slightly late start. She was very helpful and the service throughout was very good.

Because of the heat and the rainy season effecting the mountain roads, we decided to do the Vallejo trip. It was exactly 3.5 hours as predicted and it took us through small towns, hillside farms and up to a very nice mountain waterfall. The trip spends 70 % of the time climbing up mountain roads and crossing mountain streams, so you should not expect a leisurely ride, which was fine for us. After about 1.5 hours of work, we arrived at the waterfall and took our time relaxing and swimming while cooling off. At the top, there was a group of ATV tour group people that all kept commenting on how difficult it must have been to climb the hills on the bikes, but this was to be expected from the average tourist, so we didn't pay them much attention.

Rogelio was an excellent guide - and he gets an easy 5 stars. The only reason I did not give the trip an overall 5 stars was because my bike was not in the best shape. We were the only customers they had that day, and I ended up with a pretty beat up Schwinn. It got the job done, but I would have preferred a better bike so I could have had a little more fun on the way down the mountain road. My wife, who is very petite, had a 14" Kona, and with Rogelio's expert advice, she was doing fine in no time even though she is not a biker at all.

Bottom line - expect a little workout, but also expect excellent service and a scenic ride. I would definitely do this again in the future if we return to PV.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Let me say on the outset that EcoRide Mex's Yelapa ride is a big kid's ride. While it doesn't require brute strength or speed, it definitely requires the physical and mental stamina to grind out a couple of sustained climbs, topping around 2400ft. The final five miles drops from around 2100 ft elevation to sea level. While this sound fun and zippy, it gets pretty technical. It became an hour long white knuckle tourettes fest of rutted sandy road interspersed with a number of rock gardens and an occasional, and I might add, seemingly random, cobble stone pavement. At the same time, and perhaps because of the difficulty, this ride showcases the stunning beauty of rural Jalisco without the tourists. It is Jalisco's answer to Oregon's McKenzie River Trail, or Moab's Slick Rock Trail. It's also Rogelio's favorite ride, which made it that much more fun for me as well.

I found EcoRide on the internet based upon recommendations on MTBR and a couple of travel blog sites. The fact that EcoRide was a small shop was appealing to me. I contacted Rogelio by email, and we arranged to make contact once I arrived in Puerto Vallarta, and figured out the rest of my vacation itinerary.

The ride starts out in the town of El Tuito, an hour and a half drive south of Puerto Vallarta on Highway 200. It begins on pavement with rolling hills for the first ten miles or so. At the end of this section there's a fast downhill that can get away from you if you're not careful. Rogelio and I ended up broadying around a sweeping right turn in this section. Think of motorcycle flat track turns. This is also where the pavement ends, and you end up on packed sandy forest service road/glorified trail. It's techincally not single track, but it's not really a road either. At this point, there are two fairly sustained climbs totaling 1300 feet to the town of Chacala, 16 miles into the ride. We took a break here to water up and eat. From Chacala, it's another 560 ft climb to the 2560 ft summit of the mountains above Yalapa. Here's where the fun begins. One mile down the road there's a view point that's easy to miss if you're either not looking for it or are bombing the downhill too fast. This is easily one of the most beautiful viewpoints I've been to – ever. It overlooks the town of Yalapa and commands a view of the entire Playa Banderas. To the horizon we were able to see the Marieta Islands. The 5 mile, 2100 ft drop to Yalapa was an hour long white knuckle tourettes fest of rutted sandy road interspersed with a number of rock gardens and an occasional, and I might add, seemingly random, cobble stone pavement. These are the moments that you remember that mountain biking is about living in the moment. Nothing except what is ten feet in front of you exists. Otherwise you risk serious injury. Once in Yalapa, we took a boat taxi to Boca Tomatlan and then drove back to the shop in Puerto Vallarta.

Rogelio is a great guide, rider and host. He was able to alter the pace to my strengths and skills. As this was his favorite ride, his enthusiasm for the trail and its beauty was infectious. I should mention David. He was the third of our party, a nineteen year old friend of Rogelio. He's actually a pretty gifted rider: strong on the climbs, good handling skills, good sense of lines. As the kid of the ride, David pulled the pack keeping the pace pretty zippy. He certainly added to the fun of the ride.

I would do this ride again in a heart beat. This was one of those rides you remember and think over for the next couple of days, remembering scenery, sections of trail, the four frightened horses we came upon, and certainly, the camaraderie.