“A most divine and relaxing stay immersed in the...”
other travelers have booked this property
Casa Marfil, authentic Mexican Villa in the Heart of Puerto Vallarta
Kitchen and Salon opens to the Terrace with views of the River Cuale, Pacific Ocean, Jungle, Mountain and City Kitchen, filtered water and new appliances and grill on the terrace.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Casa Marfil, authentic Mexican Villa in the Heart of Puerto Vallarta
Kitchen, filtered water and new appliances and grill on the terrace.
Wolf Gas Stovetop, Microwave Convection and Standard Oven
Den, Satellite TV, iPod Dock
Terrace off of the Kitchen and Dining Rooms and Living Room
Terrace off from Kitchen
Terrace, looking to the right affords ocean views
Terrace, looking East affords mountain views
Terrace, views of Puerto Vallarta and city lights at night
Rooftop Palapa with wetbar
Library, many books available to peruse and browse on second level.
Principal Bedroom
Principal Bathroom
Principal Bedroom
Terrace makes for great people watching below on the cobblestone street.
Principal Bathroom
Entrance to the second front door to enter Casa Marfil
St. Michael graces the front entrance in authentic Mexican artwork painted on wood.
First Level Bedroom Queen sized Bed, private bath
First Level Bedroom
Second level Bedroom private bath
Entrance first door, street level
Stairwell to Rooftop Palapa
Rooftop Palapa, great starlight viewing, city lights, and fireworks.  Wetbar, chaise lounge chairs
Terrace off from Kitchen, great for drinking Margs and watching fireworks
Kitchen is a great place to hang out, make delicious dinners, watch satellite TV and relax.
Dining table seats four, bar seats four more.
Salon and Living Room with Satellite TV, Shaw Canadian Satellite, HBO, Showtime and BBC News, CNN
Principal Bedroom, view large walk in closet
Facing Principal Bedroom
First Level Bedroom, private bath
Rooftop Palapa, wetbar, private sunning
Rooftop Palapa, private sunning
Street level front door
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
c0wgirl83
Dallas, Texas
“House is ok, extremely rude owner”
Reviewed August 23, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

I recently stayed at this house and upon arrival we quickly realized that two of the bedrooms did not have air conditioner units. The house has 4 bedrooms so not being able to use two bedrooms was very problematic, and we decided to cancel and go to the trouble of finding accommodations even though we were there only three nights. When we informed the host, she became very combative and argued that if we came to Mexico in the summer we shouldn't expect it to not be hot. She also proceeded to cite my background as a reason why I was not qualified to complain regarding the heat in the house. I was disturbed that she looked me up and that she didn't show any concern for the fact that we had to go to the trouble of cancelling. She also threatened to give me a bad review, which she did in a different site. The experience was horrible mainly because of the owner's attitude. The house is ok but in addition to AC problems, the terrace does not have ocean or river views that's an overstatement.

Aug 24, 2017
This guest booked her reservation through another site, as mentioned, but the supervisory department reviewed all of the written comments between the guest and myself and determined to delete her account of what transpired based on the level of inaccuracies, prohibited language used by the guest and my own good standing with that other site. As a result, the guest decided to go through the trouble of leaving a bad review here on TripAdvisor.
I did not investigate the guest online, no need, her work email contains the law office where she's employed. I suggested her knowledge of the law in the United States may not be the same in Mexico.
In response to her complaint that the bedrooms are hot, we've added another mini split air conditioner to the first floor bedroom. The remaining rooms already have air conditioning and the one on the second floor is serviced by the mini split on the second floor.
Yes, it's hot in Mexico in the summer. And rainy, and humidity is very high. For that reason it's considered our low season and the rental rate per night is almost half off the normal rate.
Unfortunately, there are some people who arrive and if they are new to Mexico or more accustomed to all inclusive resorts, then it may be more difficult for them to adjust to the more independent setting of a vacation home.
The views in Puerto Vallarta is constantly changing, we are experiencing a great amount of growth. The skyline can change greatly from year to year. However, what everyone says when they enter Casa Marfil, the third floor where the kitchen and dining room is located, or the garden area located on the fourth floor, are always the same, "what an amazing view!". The large condos popping up closer to the beach and the house that was built in front, but remains only two stories high, has altered some of the view, since we first published the description several years ago, but the fact that we remain a bit off the busy Malecón as well as our being located higher on the mountain, allows Casa Marfil to remain a very attractive vacation home, quiet location and many folks have come in the last ten years to enjoy the home, the beach and have had no problems.
Summer guests inevitably have a bit more difficulty with the humidity and the heat, and we do our best to accommodate them.
Mary W
“A most divine and relaxing stay immersed in the culture of Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed March 20, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

A most divine home away from home. Casa Marfil exceeded my expectations. It offered safety and comfort as I attended a meditation retreat only steps away. Sandra and Raymundo are a beautiful team that supports the casa in all ways from delectable meals to cleanliness to added convenience and comfort for our stay. We were welcomed with the best guacamole ever and a delicious dinner followed by 10 more glorious days. The location is perfect with easy access to everything making our explorations most enjoyable. Minutes away from Old Puerto Vallarta, artisans, restaurants, Our Lady of Guadeloupe Church, shopping and the ocean. We felt to be a part of the neighbourhood and community experiencing the true flavours of Puerto Vallarta. Every morning we were graced with beautiful sunrises and at night if we missed the magnificent sunset we were given the gift of the cosmic stars above us and the fireworks below. Spectacular views. Looking forward to making Casa Marfil my home every year as I attend the meditation retreat!

Your age range 50-64
Mar 22, 2017
Casa Marfil was truly blessed to have been able to host this wonderful group of ladies. It's not often I get to the meet our guests at Casa Marfil however, I made the drive to meet in person, these extraordinary ladies, and am so happy that I did. Our team in Puerto Vallarta is an excellent team of caring people who work to make our guests feel supported to stay in an organized and clean environment and to provide extra cooking services to those interested. It's always a pleasure when that extends to sincere and warm feelings and it reminds us that the work we do in providing accommodations to travelers is the best work in the world. We love sharing this amazing and beautiful village by the sea and the culture that is Mexico. Some of our guests speak Spanish and others, not a word, but it is our greatest joy to be able to open our home to some of the most wonderful travelers in the world. These ladies bring sunshine and love everywhere they go and have a redemptive quality to bring a fresh renewal to those they touch. Have a wonderful 2017 and we hope to see you soon on your return travels to Puerto Vallarta, where you truly have a home, away from home. Warmly, Sherryl H.
waltclay
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
“Beautiful house, high maintenance owner”
Reviewed December 31, 2016 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

This house is awesome for a large group/family. We loved being in the middle of town and the view and spaciousness were amazing. However I rated it three stars because we had a lot of difficulty communicating with the owner.

At the beginning she threatened to cancel our reservation because she said we hadn't paid. I sent copies of all my accounts, credit card bills, receipts etc. and she still almost cancelled our reservation. I was out of the country at the time and this was a very stressful experience for me because we had flights booked for family members coming in from 3 continents. The owner finally realised she had put our payment in a different account and apologised profusely. She even offered a bottle of tequila or a meal for the trouble. (we chose tequila but unfortunately never got it). But to her credit she was very gracious.

Every single day of our stay I received multiple emails and or calls from her. One of my sons had a flight canceled and we didn't know if he would arrive. I told her this and then she felt betrayed when he ended up making it and I hadn't let her know. We didn't change anything about the reservation but she said it was very stressful because she had bought a high chair for my sons baby (which I told her we didn't even need). She had her maid (who was a really nice lady and excellent cook) taking pictures and reporting on what we were up to at the house. I didn't think that would be a problem but every little thing was scrutinised... our kids left out too many toys and it was too much work for the maid so we needed to clean up before she came- we accidentally left a light on on the porch one day- more emails. The air mattresses deflated in the middle of our first night and i woke up on the floor. The maid told her our kids were jumping on them because one of the toddlers bounced on the already deflated mattress the next morning when the maid was there. Even after clarifying that the mattress was deflated with both the maid and her she insisted that my grandkids broke them and kept $200 of our security deposit for them. she told us we were stressing Laura (the maid) so bad she was unable to work because we hadn't paid for an additional night - we thought we paid upon departure and didn't have the cash on the first day so we gave it to her the next afternoon and Laura told us she just had an upset stomach. It was just really odd communication all in all. My husband found it amusing and said he felt like he was in a mexican soap opera, my mother-in-law was so stressed out with all the accusations and emails she could hardly enjoy our vacation or her grandchildren for constant worry we were going to do something the owner wouldn't like.

Again, it's an awesome house and puerto vallarta is really charming. From other reviews it seems like maybe this was a unique situation but felt it only fair to share our experience.

Jan 3, 2017
This is the same guest, posting a review twice that they were not happy. The fact that they post twice for one group is exactly why I found them so confusing. The same family, grandparents and adult children citing the same complaints here but now I'm having to respond to the same complaints twice.
From the beginning, this guest and I were not able to communicate well. The balance is paid 90 days before arrival. This guest paid her initial booking fee, 50% of the rental. When I asked and sent email from Home Away requesting that she make her final payments, she never responded. I asked for over a period of 10 days or so for final payment and she never responded at all. I informed her I was going to have to cancel her booking for non payment and non-response. Nothing. Finally, and this was a first for me, I had to cancel the booking. Finally she responds in full alert. I informed her that I still had her dates and that we could re-book her reservation. We did so. Later when I was following the stream of many emails to determine all the accounting was complete before her arrival, I had some trouble following all of the emails. I asked her to let me know when she made the final payment. This booking occurred from the summer of 2016 to her arrival in December. Following all of the emails asking for payment, canceling, re-booking, payments being made, payments being refunded, payments made again...it was not easy.
Then she knows that 12 people is the maximum that Casa Marfil can manage and she wasn't honest and had 15 people there. The air mattresses, both, broke during her stay, when the group right before her, they worked. My employee told me she had to ask the children to stop jumping on them as this guest didn't seem to notice.

Whenever a guest asks for an extra night and that they want to pay cash, I get very nervous. The Home Away platform protects both the guest and the homeowner from misunderstandings. I don't want to chase money from house guests, that is why we use Home Away. It's safe. This guest asked for an extra night and then wanted to pay cash. Then when she arrived, she said the extra night was not needed as her son's flights were canceled. Then her son arrived but she didn't tell me. When I thought her son didn't arrive, I thought she no longer needed the extra night. I had planned to do some maintenance work on the electrical box and cables as the dishwasher also stopped working during this guest's visit. When this guest told me the air mattresses were broke, I asked my employee how could they be using the air mattress if half of their group didn't show up. Then I found that there were in fact 15 people in the house. And that they would need the extra night. Now I have to chase money for the extra night.
Please understand, paying cash for rentals is not the desired agreement. The agreement via Home Away is used for protection of all involved.
My employee became anxious and sick, having to go to the doctor, because she said that the stress of dealing with this guest was making her ill. The triangulation between the guest, my employee, and myself was very uncomfortable.
I offered the tequila as a form of apology when I coudn't locate her payment. Then later when I found there were so many people in the house, the last thing I wanted to do was to purchase tequila and offer it to someone I didn't think was being honest with me.
I purchased a high chair for the 9 month old grandson and was told that the tequila would have been a better way for me to provide support and gratitude.
I have explained all of this on the first poor review given by this guest. I hope I don't have to write another one for another one of their party. I hope we can all move forward now. It's unfortunate, but sometimes it happens all wrong. And it did with this guest.
We all work hard, as homeowners, to provide the best service and good support for our guests. I've had all great reviews except the one person back in 2014 or 2013. And now I have another one. The reviews are provided to let guests and homeowners know who is coming or who they are going to be dealing with as a homeowner. It affects our business and our employees. Unfortunately, sometimes things go very bad.
This guest also informed me that she and her family are missionaries but I found her complaint that I didn't give her tequila and opted to purchase a high chair for grandson just as confusing as the rest of our interaction together.
haleyhcla...
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Beautiful house, difficult owner”
Reviewed December 31, 2016 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

Casa Marfil is beautiful and great for a large family or group. We loved puerto vallarta, really quaint and beautiful. Our only difficulty was in communicating with the owner.

We exchanged dozens of emails. Every day we received emails from her. At the beginning right after we reserved the place she accused us of not paying and made me send her copies of receipts and bank statements etc. (all while I was out of the country). She even threatened to cancel our reservation (and we all had flights already booked coming in from 3 continents! very stressful beginning). The dishwasher was broken when we arrived. She changed the price of a meal we bought without advance notice. Its advertised as air conditioned but only one of the living areas and two of the bedrooms have air units. We are used to not having AC so this wasn't a problem for us but if you're expecting central AC it isn't. She had the maid take pictures of everything and accused us of breaking things and mistreating her house. She told us our kids left too many toys on the floor and it was too much work for the maid so we had to clean up before the maid came (even though we told her we didn't want housekeeping to come while we were there). There was something new every day we were there. My mother in law was so stressed out from all the emails that she almost couldn't enjoy our vacation.

Again, the house is really awesome. Maybe we just caught the owner on a bad week, who knows but the drama was pretty intense. Between the maid talking to us about the owner and the owner sending constant emails it felt a little like a soap opera.

Hope this is helpful - we loved puerto vallarta and LOVED the house minus the many emails and accusations.

Jan 3, 2017
This guest informed me that she reviewed all of the Casa Marfil reviews to find an one review back in 2014 where a guest was unhappy with their stay that suggested to me that she may be a problem; it happens, sometimes people arrive already wanting to find things that are wrong. Casa Marfil is a great house, clean and yes it's true, there is not central air conditioning in Mexico. It's not a "thing" here, there are mini splits in the kitchen that supplies air to the dining room, kitchen and in what is known as an open floor plan. The second floor has a mini split in the master bedroom, again, it's an open floor plan and supplies air to the second floor and a 3rd mini split found in the 4th bedroom.
This guest initially told me that they were 12 people, which is the maximum number of guests the house can comfortably sleep with 4 bedrooms and two air mattresses. Each queen sized beds. Then she told me her son, with his family, a baby and two little girls, would not be arriving as their flights were canceled. She had asked for one extra night and by chance I could accommodate her request as the next guests weren't scheduled to arrive the day this guest was scheduled to leave. Later when she and my employee told me that the two air mattresses were broken, I thought how, half of her party didn't show up?...I asked my employee how many people were in the house and felt the pressure to immediately remedy the air mattress situation to go and purchase two more from Costco.....not thinking about catching her in a falsehood, but instead feeling that I was going to have a negative review based on the air mattresses not working....and lo and behold, there are not 12 people, as she had originally told me, but 15 people as her son, whose flight was not canceled, did in fact show up and that with them, the total in the house was now 15 people. My employee told me that she had to ask the little girls to stop jumping on the air mattresses....and that is how they broke. This guest defended her granddaughters by telling me how much they weigh and that they couldn't have broken the air mattresses. The equipment has built in pumps, so jumping on them is not advised anyway, it could damage the seams or the electric devices.

My employee, who was overwhelmed at the number of people in the house and the top to bottom chaos of disorder from toys and clothes strewn from the first floors to the top, sent a photo to me, which I didn't request her to do, she was asking for help. I asked this guest if she wouldn't mind be more conscientious to my employee as she was just one person and I offered her if she would want more support that I could have a second maid come to assist but that would cost a nominal fee for her time. This guest didn't respond to my respectful request that the house be kept a bit more orderly and didn't respond to my offer for more support.
The dishwasher, the third in 5 years, again suffered from a surge and has died. This unfortunately happened during this guests' stay. On top of everything going wrong, this happened. I will not be replacing it immediately. Most houses don't have dishwashers because of the expense and electrical issues in Mexico, appliances take a beating with the constant electric surges. Even if you have surge protectors, they eventually give out.
I offer the cooking services to guests and they pay the cook directly. I inform my guests that there is a cooking service and that they can let the cook know when and what they would like to have for breakfast and dinner. I am not receiving any money for this service, I simply inform the guests that there is a cooking service available. The price changed due to the cook changing her price for the new year; she has maintained her costs now for the last several years and changed the price this year. I let the guest know as soon as I was informed of the change.
The communication with the guest was very difficult. I felt that either the communication was either opaque, flights canceled, not canceled, number of people in the house - when I found out there were more people, I could have easily charged $50.00 extra per person per night, but didn't. I purchased a new baby high chair for this guest's son who has an infant of 9 months old and this guest instead of thanking me for the high chair asked me instead for the bottle of tequila I offered in consolation of the mix up in the beginning of the booking. In the beginning of the booking, she was scheduled to make her second payment to pay for the balance of the booking and I had to ask her to make payment over and and over and over, until finally, I canceled her reservation and sent her money back to her via Home Away. Then she responded in full alert that her reservation was canceled due to non payment. She explained that she already had her flights booked. This was in late summer, early fall for a December booking. I explained that I still had her dates, but that she now needed to pay for the booking in order to keep her reservation. We re-initiated the booking. She paid. Later when I was trying to follow the stream of the many emails to make sure all of the accounts were finalized, I asked her about the payment. I was confused, true, because that was what I felt constantly with this guests. Back and forth, booked, canceled, re-booked, paid, and following all of that over many months was not easy. Sometimes guests arrive and it is an easy, clear and pleasant transaction from beginning to end. Sometimes guests arrive and there may be a slight issue to help or assist and things get resolved, every one is happy and feels heard and respected. Sometimes guests arrive and they look for problems and they find one that happened three years prior in the reviews and you know then, it's going to be a rough ride, no matter what you do. It helps if people maintain a posture that everyone is doing the best they can, even in the face of what seems like deliberate and intentional misdirection. I simply remember why I love doing this job, for the many guests who come and they are interested in experiencing Puerto Vallarta and Casa Marfil and they simply want to come and have a good time. For those guests, it's all worth it. And when or if it becomes less value than the worth, then I will reconsider. But for now, the happy guests that arrive far outweigh the bad apple that comes occasionally.
Paradise...
Austin, Texas
“Beatuiful house in a great location!”
Reviewed May 10, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

We stayed here on a girl's trip and this house was perfect. We had everything we needed and Laura, our house keeper was also great. We had her cook dinner for us one night and it was delicious! The location is great too. You are just a short walk to the beach and into town.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
May 11, 2016
Casa Marfil had a great experience hosting Paradise, she is the perfect guest! Paradise and her group of friends were all very polite, respectful and friendly. We welcome her and her friends back at any time and hope she does return to visit. Thank you again for choosing Casa Marfil!
susanmix
Medford, Oregon
“Gorgeous, large, riverside retreat home in jungle with views, warm welcome, fantastic find.”
Reviewed May 8, 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

We are a group of four who travel to Puerto Vallarta a lot. This was the first time we stayed in a house. We were amazed at how beautiful it was. The first thing that impressed us was the warm welcome we received from Lupita, the manager, and Laura the maid and cook. They were so sincerely warm and helpful. We felt at home in paradise the moment we got there.

We chose the shuttle from the airport. Lupita set this all up for us. When we landed there was a friendly driver with a sign and bottles of cold water at the airport. He took us to a big store, then up the hill to the beautiful house. No hassles at all. The house was gorgeous and spotless, with plenty of cold drinking water. Every day we sat out on the patio and marveled at the amazing jungle view. It took us back in time to a simpler, most peaceful time. It was easy walking distance to the beach, the Malecon (boardwalk), to churches, our favorite restaurants, parks, the Rio Cuale, the town square, and everywhere we wanted to go.

One of the highlights was the magnificent meal Laura made for us for a very reasonable price. She made a Mexican feast with fresh fish, beans, guacamole, rice,tortillas, salsa and a very refreshing, fresh juice smoothie. The price was very low, and she is so precious and sweet.

The rooms are adorable with colorful artwork and bedding, all immaculate. The kitchen is huge with everything you might want to prepare all kinds of food. We highly recommend having Laura cook, however, and next time we will utilize her services more. She is a gem.

We sincerely felt we were part of the culture staying at Casa Marfil. It was so much nicer than staying at any hotel where you feel like a tourist. Walking up and down the quaint, cobblestone streets we encountered many very friendly people who greeted us warmly.I cried the day we left because a big part of me stayed in my beautiful Mexico at my home away from home in paradise. We all agree that this beautiful home in paradise is an oasis in the middle of one of the most beautiful places on earth. Highly recommend.

All communication was great, and damage deposit was refunded completely in a timely manner.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views, the large kitchen, Laura's cooking
Liked least: Walk up hill on cobblestone street (we often took taxis)
Traveling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
May 10, 2015
Thank you for your comments and please know you are always welcome to your casa in Puerto Vallarta! Come home any time you want :)
Minnesota
Reviewed January 6, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing