“Best Dinner in Puerto Vallarta”
Review of Bistro Teresa

Bistro Teresa
Ranked #26 of 1,097 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cocina Creativa , Vista Increible A La Bahia, Atardeceres Maravillosos, Ambiente Intimo Y Amigablepor Favor Reservar
Reviewed March 28, 2014

All I can say is wow! What a meal, what an experience.

My girlfriend and I decided to go out for a fancy dinner one night after a beautiful day on the beach, so we looked up restaurants on Tripadvisor and settled on Bistro Teresa. We called about an hour ahead to make sure they could accommodate us (something I would strongly recommend doing since this place is apparently almost always packed).

The first thing that stands out about the place is its location and ambiance. It is located on a hill overlooking the ocean and the view is breathe-taking. Since the restaurant is rather small (no more than 10 tables), it almost feels like you are sitting on a private terrace. The vibe in there is extremely laid-back and chill. There is soft music playing and dim but not too dim lighting. We were automatically greeted and seated by two waiters, both of whom were extremely professional and spoke fluent english. The menu is on two blackboards, something which I am a huge fan of since it is usually indicative of a changing menu based on fresh catches and seasonal produce. Anyways, enough mumbo-jumbo, lets get into the good stuff.

For an appetizer I had the asparagus salad, which as other reviews have established, is orgasmic. It consists of about 6-8 large asparagus pieces that are perfectly cooked and left slightly crunchy. These pieces are wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto that is slightly salty, but also has a sweet kick to it which works perfectly with the balsamic reduction that is used to dress it. Underneath is a bed of fresh greens that have picked up the juices from the prosciutto wrapped asparagus and balsamic reduction dressing. Furthermore, there are fresh melon balls and raspberries on both sides of the plate. This dish is a must try, end of story.

My girlfriend's appetizer was also great and is also a must try. She got the peach cream soup with crispy lobster and although she was slightly hesitant at first due to another trip advisor review, she decided to step out of her comfort zone and give it a try. We were both happy that she did. The peach cream broth provides a flavor combination that I have NEVER had before. I think there was a little bit of ginger incorporated into the broth to give it a nice tangy spiciness. The crispy lobster worked perfectly with the flavors of the broth and the crunch brought a nice contrast of texture to the dish as a whole.

For the main course, I had the crispy sea bass on a bed of creamy risotto and my girlfriend had the vodka penne pasta with grilled shrimp. The crispy sea bass was cooked perfectly and had a crispy crust that was made out of a delicious blend of herbs and spices. The sauce that was smeared on the sides of the plate (not sure what the proper word for this is in the culinary world but I know its a style of plating) was insane. My only disappointment with this entire meal and restaurant is that I did not have more of that sauce on my plate, I literally finished it within my first two bites. The creamy risotto was also good, but nothing special, it simply provided a nice, filling side to accompany the sea bass. All in all a great dish.

As for the vodka penne pasta, it was cooked al dente, which is the way pasta should be prepared. For my liking it was slightly too al dente but I am under the impression that this is done on purpose as it continued to cook in the spicy tomato sauce that it was enveloped in and halfway through the dish it was just the right tenderness. The sauce had quite the kick of flavor to it and the shrimp were grilled just right. Another great dish, although next time I think we will try one of their meat dishes such as the ribeye.

For dessert we had the tres leeches chocolate cake. Hands down best chocolate cake I've had in my life, nuff said. The waiters didn't even build it up at all like they did with the other dishes but wow was it good.

Now for wine, service, and pricing: I had two glasses of a delicious red cabernet sauvignon merlot from Chile and my girlfriend had one glass of a white sauvignon blanc which I believe also was from Chile although I don't remember for sure. Both wines were absolutely delicious and paired great with the food. Also, each glass cost a little under 6 dollars, which is extremely cheap for us since we live in Los Angeles and a glass of wine there costs about the same as an entree from this place. The food was very decently priced for the quality. I would say in comparison to other spots in Puerto Vallarta it is a little on the expensive side, but nevertheless my girlfriend and I spent about a hundred dollars there in total and thats including a generous tip (I think the meal was a little over 80 dollars). A meal like that in other parts of the world would cost you a minimum of two to three hundred dollars and personally I prefer to pay a little more for quality. The service was also great. The waiters were professional and attentive. They checked up on us regularly to make sure everything was prepared the way we like it. Furthermore, Teresa herself was sitting in the restaurant with a friend so it was nice to chat with her after we were finished with our meal.

Anyways, this place is a must go to and may very well be one of the best meals in Puerto Vallarta.

1  Thank MarkushaG
Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

but MAKE a reservation! It is always BOOKED! There are two sittings...we chose the sunset sitting! Nicely decorated, very attentive service and OUTSTANDING menu that, according to our friends who rate Bistro Teresa their FAVOURITE restaurant in PV, changes regularly! Everything is artfully plated.... and delicious! My asparagus salad must have had 8 stalks, wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with a wonderful balsamic reduction! There was a side serving of cheese also wrapped in prosciutto, and the whole thing was framed with nice raspberries and melon balls with balsamic squiggles. Also on the side, a generous mound of fresh, crisp greens! Will definitely come back because the whole experience was wonderful!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Bistro Teresa is our favourite Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. We have eaten there twice in the past two weeks and the menu options never fail to amaze me. I had the Pumpkin Cream with Shrimps and my husband had the Beef Filet with Malbec Sauce and Raviolis. The owners and staff make you feel like you dining in their home. Service is top notch. The Chocolate Tres Leche Cake is the best I have ever had and I have tried numerous. The view is breathtaking. Reservations are recommended, and they were booked solid most nights this season.
Pricing is more than reasonable, and quality the absolute best. Increible, Delicioso!

1  Thank Omalake
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just walked in, the staff was a bit shocked that we did not have a reservation, very small restaurant, unique menu, best cheese plate ever. The staff were very knowledgeable, great view.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Went there 3/25/14. My wife and I ordered Capri salad and Beef Carpaccio with a bottle of Pinot Grigio and watched the sun set. Later we had Sea Bass and Shrimp with blue cheese sauce. Everything was outstanding. The shrimp were the biggest we've seen in MX.