“Service perfection!”

Ranked #6 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Service perfection!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The staff was wonderful! Very friendly and willing to please. Food was excellent, beach area was smaller but not crowded, and the rooms were clean and modern. Short walk to shopping, short ride to marina for excursions

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Polish first
Kiama, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. We had a very warm welcome from the manager and staff when we arrived. The room was fine with a view of the ocean. House keeping made up the room every day and turned down our bed in the evening. We had the all inclusive package and found it to be great. Particularly liked the menu. If you wanted another course it wasn't a problem. The drinks were also plentiful and yummy. There was a deli here as well where you could get gourmet sandwiches, salads and coffee. The Italian restaurant required a reservation the previous day but we did get in without it. The food was also very good with a nice selection. The staff at the resort were all very professional and attentive and we didn't have any complaints about any of them. The resort is located fairly close to the old town and it's only about $5US in a taxi. There is also a shopping mall not far away with a Walmart and Sams club. The only down side is the ocean! it isn't as clear as the Caribbean side so our Snorkeling trip was not enjoyable. The resort is on the small side just how I like it, there is an adult only area with cabanas and a nice pool. I would thoroughly recommend this resort to anyone wanting a getaway to Puerto Vallarta.

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Second year in a row and it's still amazing. Food and service are perfection. No complaints here. Every room is ocean view. They serve you champagne when you arrive.
Spent 7 days here. Only a little rain at night and every day was gorgeous.

Ok
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Beautiful landscaping....Palm trees were incredible. The ocean and beach view, amazing! Stayed at Marriot one night...it was ok. Then on to Sunset Beach Resort and Spa....couldn't be happier. Very friendly staff. We were offered champagne upon arrival. Very clean. Excellent food too! You'll love it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Ruth B
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was the first time my family and I traveled to Vallarta, and I'm happy I booked at Sunset Plaza. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I choose the 1 bedroom suite all inclusive. My wife and my two boys where super impressed by my selection of hotels. The hotel in general was very clean and modern. The room was on the 10th floor was large and had great views. We were excited from the minute that we arrived and quickly became impressed by the service and attention from the staff. Everyone that worked at Sunset Plaza where extremely nice and helpful especially Juan, Nestor, and Javier. I was always greeted by name when walking through the lobby.

The food selections where very good. We did go out to eat outside the hotel looking for tacos or when we booked an outing, but for the most part we ate at the hotel. My 15 year old liked all the restaurants but really enjoyed the Deli (American and Mexican panini's where very good). My wife and I really enjoyed the quality of the food at the hotel. There is not a traditional Mexican only restaurant at the hotel so you may have to travel if you really want tacos. My wife and I are not drinkers but we did order a few mixed drinks. The pool bar closes fairly early but you will not have trouble getting drinks. I suggest trying a Mayan Sacrifice and a Tamarindo Daiquiri.

We just got back from our vacation but we are already telling all our friends and family about the Sunset Plaza. We will be booking another trip to come back here. I really don't know what more they could have done to make the trip more enjoyable.

A few tips:
When leaving out of the airport there is a room of people that will try to get you to sign up for a vacation club presentation. If you are not interested keep walking past and you will find taxi drivers outside. If you are interested act like you are not and they will comp you to show up for 2 hours and listen to a sales pitch. We went on a Cruise and rented ATV's for going.

If you plan on bringing back bottles of booze check the prices at the corner near the hotel. Avoid buying stuff near downtown as things get marked up.

If you want to travel a few minutes and go outside of the tourist zones have the taxi take you to Pitillal. We went there and picked up a Messi jersey for my 7 year old and ate tacos.

Thanks for the stay and see you again Sunset Plaza,
Kenny (Senior Ken)

3 Thank Kenny G
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have been visiting PV every year for the past 20+ years and just discovered Sunset Plaza - it is now hard to imagine staying anywhere else! The resort is well located, has a wonderful staff and our suite was beautiful.

2 Thank Elizabeth M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Excellent services, very good accommodations. Good food and almost excellent food service.
This was my second year in a row visit to Sunset Plaza. I wrote the review and filled out the survey the last year and have noticed few improvements that are almost in response to my original feedback. This means that the management at this resort is serious about looking for ways for improvement. I very much appreciate it. . Keep up the good work! Many thanks!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple