“Fabulous vacation”

Ranked #6 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ca
“Fabulous vacation”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I took my son for a mother son spring break trip. It was truly a great holiday. The hotel is stunning and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The food choices were a little limited for us as some of the options were just something we would not eat. Otherwise a very enjoyable experience

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Polish first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I have been back to Sunset three times in the past three years. It is our home away from home.

We are not all-inclusive guests as we do not drink alcohol. We do dine at the hotel, and we frequent the local restaurants and markets. Both restaurants on the premises are very good, and the service is exceptional. The outstanding service is what keeps us coming back to this incredible resort.

Massages at the Zen Spa make a perfect ending to an active day. The massage therapists are well trained, well groomed, and can customize a massage to meet all your needs. The very relaxing atomosphere creates the quintessential ambiance for the full massage experience at Zen. Try one in the private palapa overlooking the ocean, and listen to the claming ocean while enjoying the magic hands of one of Zen's therapists.

If you are looking for the ultimate luxury in an intimate resort, spectacular views, and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean, you will also make this your home away from home.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean; we like the higher floors.
Salina, Kansas
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful stay at this resort yesterday. We stayed 5 nights with family and friends. I am no stranger to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, but this is truly the best we have stayed at. It has the appeal of being a VIP experience, but with the all-inclusive convenience. We had a suite, and it was a gorgeous room with an million dollar view (we were on the 15th floor). All the employees were very kind and friendly, and always had a smile on their face. Props to the lobby bar tenders. They had a lot of fun with us in the evenings after dinner.
This is a family resort, so there were some children, which I normally don't like. However, I hardly noticed them, they played in the pool and in the area, but they were so good. (I guess I should thank their parents for raising such good kids) But, because the resort is smaller, I didn't feel overwhelmed by children, as you do at some places. It was never hard for us to find a seat by the pool, or a spot at the pool bar. I can't describe how wonderful this vacation was.
We will be returning to Puerto Vallarta in the future, we loved it. And when we do, we will stay at this resort.
The food was good, the Italian restaurant was fantastic. We didn't get a chance to try to BBQ night. My advice is that, even thought they have good food, make sure you spend a few nights eating in the Romantic Zone area. They have some really wonderful restaurants and its a fun exciting place to be in the evenings.

Room Tip: They are all good, all ocean views. However, if you want the million dollar view - ask for the highe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaggieJ1020
Vancouver BC
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We went to Puerto Vallarta for the first time in January. We were gone 10 days and stayed at the Sunset Plaza Resort. This was our first time at an all inclusive. I have always heard food and drinks at all-inclusives were sub par. Definately not the case here! We had most of our meals at the Sunset Plaza and the food was out of this world. We ate at all the restaurants- and though Lucciano is the "more upscale" restaurant- we actually enjoyed the food at the Mirodor more. That isnt to say Lucciano isnt good- it just wasnt as good. The service- impeccable at both.

A special shout out to Saul- not the boss- the server, Enzo and Jorge at the pool- they were absolutely the best servers we have ever ever had- Loved them- smiles all of the time- Jorge knew our orders- There was a butler- that was especially great- he called to have someone get me an umbrella- was watching from inside- saw it didnt happen- he came out and got it- It was Miguel I believe -super impressive. The resort was clean, the gym was small but all you needed. We walked downtown- its a long walk- but we enjoyed it- the cab ride was super cheap though. While I found the timeshare people were always there- they werent as pushy as in cabo- and we had fun joking with them. Watch out- they will try to tell you they work at your hotel in the am- and act like they know you when your on the malecon- but they just see your wrist bands and know where your staying- good actors though :). I found the people in Puerto Vallarta super friendly and super funny- we always felt safe. Vallarta adventures and other tours- the only downside is the tours are very very expensive- and unless you take a time share tour (yuck-I did it- for my son free tours- but probably not again) and get discounts they can add up. We went on the Canopy Forest tour-at the Mundo Nogalita adventure park- the guides that took us on the ziplines- were absolutely a blast and hysterical. I was scared but we had so much fun! That was great-We went on the Unique ATV Tours- an absolute blast and next time I would not share the ATV- I would get my own- worth it for sure- I was nervous-but honestly nothing to be nervous about. We took the Las Caletas Beach Hideaway tour- it was a blast- the only thing is this- the people were great on the tour- but they need to be way more informative. This tour you go to the hidden beach, snorkel, kayak, paddleboard- so the snorkel/hidden beach- if you are not fit or not a great swimmer dont do it. I am not a great swimmer- but I fairly fit- very very hard to get in and out of the beach- you are in the middle of the ocean- it is super rough- and you have to swim very hard to get in and out. There was an elderly couple- that should not have been doing that-the man got taken out on a boat- and the wife was towed back on the end of the boat- a very scary scary experience for them. I think there needs to be more information on that tour. Also- the paddleboat and the kayaking is in the same area-super rough. If your prone to seasickness be prepared- there is a lot of stopping along the way to and from- a very good reason- we saw a ton of whales I have never seen anything like it- and dolphins. It was beautiful- but you get very seasick. Also- my son and his girlfriend went to the beach- they missed out on the kayaking etc because when they were calling to go to the beach- they made it sound like it was your only opportunity. We actually got to do everything and go to the beach. So that needs to be more clear. Going to the beach was cool- fighting the waves to get also very cool- but again not for the faint of heart. All in all- a good tour- but they need to be way more informative before booking people. The travel agent at the Sunset Plaza-her name escapes me- but she was amazing. The tours, the hotel, the food, the area- the people- one of the best trips I have been on. ps - we all experienced a little of montezumas revenge so be prepared when you go. :)

Room Tip: I dont think there are bad rooms- I am super super fussy- all clean- all face the ocean- we had stan...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have visited Puerto Vallarta eight times since 1997, staying at five hotels during that span. Without a doubt Sunset Plaza was the best hotel and resort we have patronized.

The staff is friendly, competent and willing to assist their guests. From the moment at check-in when we were greeted with moist, cool towels and flutes of orange juice until our bags were placed in the taxi, the experience was pleasant and gracious.

I'd like to give a special thanks to Javier Vergara, a staff member who helped me print our boarding passes for our return fight to the states. We talked at length about his experience at Sunset Plaza and how I compared the hotel with the others we've visited.

Rather than detail the numerous amenities Sunset Plaza bestows on its guests, I'll simply leave those to be experienced by first-timers yet to book.

We will return.

1 Thank Rick D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My bf and I have gone to Sunset four times now. We just got back on Thursday. We really like Sunset Plaza a lot. The staff are always friendly and attentive. Javier could not have been nicer to us. The property as a whole is clean and for the most part quiet. The only noise comes from the resort next door and that noise ends at 10pm. We are starting to feel like the Sunset is our home away from home. The food is prepared fresh and they will make drinks the way you want them made if you go to the bar. The Italian restaurant was vastly better than when the hotel first opened. Unfortunately we waited until our last night to go to Luciano's. Had we known, we would have gone there more then once in our 6 days at the Sunset. I look forward to returning again this fall.

1 Thank Blondie1963_11
phoenix
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

A very big Thank You to Javier the hotel Mgr. and to all the wonderful staff members ( David, Juan, Miguel, Ciparino etc) that helped make our visit a memorable one!

Sunset Plaza is certainly a hotel that welcomes everyone, and delivers it's warm and friendly welcome upon your arrival. We noticed an array of guest ranging from senior couples, young families to groups of friends and were glad to see it was not resort for a target group of clientele.
We chose this resort from the reviews here on trip advisor and were glad we did.

Just a short cab ride from the airport and we were greeted by Javier at the lobby. The doorman Manuel and also our butler Juan quickly arranged for our luggage to be secured while we were shown inside. We sat and waited to check in and admired the views from the lobby. Just a note for those who complained that it took awhile to check in...we overheard several guests leaving the resort say they didn't want to leave and had requested a late check out; which by the way, hinders the resort to quickly prepare the rooms for check in to be ready when other guests arrive.
So we certainly understood why it took awhile for our room to be ready. Therefore we mentioned to our butler that we were going to stretch our legs and strolled outside for a drink at the bar and to please notify us when they were ready. We cannot fault the resort for the way some guest behave.

Our room is comfortable with the basic necessities. Mini fridge, safe, iron/board, coffee maker and hairdryer. They also provide coffee each morning at 7am by the pool and we got to meet some wonderful people that way. The water pressure and temperature in the shower was amazing for our high floor.
Noise from adjacent resort can be heard during some nights we stayed in early, but it did not last all night and should not be a reflection on this property.
We placed our tip for the maid on the pillow each day before heading out and returned each evening to a turn down service.

Food was delicious and not a buffet style like most resorts. We certainly like the personal table service for our meals at each visit,even when they were very busy. The customs and culture of Mexico is misunderstood by some who complain that they were not waited on properly. It's a good idea to understand how things work in another country aside from our own to avoid faux pas!
We also dined at La Leche if you want to venture nearby.

Pool area has sectioned adult and chilren wade pool with sunblock, lotion and magazines provided. Towels or personal items are placed on chairs to reserve and can be limiting due to guest staking claim early. The beach area is small but adequate. Vendors do solicit but are polite and non threatening.

Violetta was happy to set up our excursions and any other activities, so we recommend you seek her to book a tour.

Spa service was very good and the specials were well worth it.

Happy hours each evening also meant a prefect way to watch the sunset and they provide top shelf labels. Some guest found themselves sick due to excessive drinking combined with heat stroke and insists it was from food poisoning or the water. We certainly drank the water and ate at the same location during our 9 days and concluded it was the party like a rock star lifestyle, not the food or water because we had no issues!!!!

There is a Pharmacy just outside the resort or a supermarket a block down if you get sick, just ask the butler for directions.

Taxi or bus is available if your tired from walking. Bus fare is 7.5 pesos each way.

We certainly love the location of this resort and will return again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple