“double charged.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon, United States
“double charged.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

the stay was nice, but we paid in advance and upon check in, they asked me for a CC for a deposit (different card than we paid with). upon check out, there were no charges to be on the "deposit" card and i was told that when we left: zero balance. subsequently i got charged on that card for the entire room. i emailed them repeatedly and they said they would look into it after i gave them all the info that they requested and they NEVER got back to me. i reported it to my CC co. and they reversed the charge, but it was VERY VERY BIG NEGATIVE TO ME to have this happen. so be forewarned!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jeffrey B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
CA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

This place is awesome! The staff is friendly and service orientated, most spoke perfect English. Ivan our Butler, who was assigned to us went out of his way to make sure all our needs and questions were met and or exceeded. There is a view from every room with great accommodations. The resort, Restaurants were Delicious with a wide range of selections. This was a perfect Family Vacation and one we will want to do again and again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank RICHARD M
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Richard,
Warm Greeting from Sunset Plaza Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing such nice comments regarding your latest stay with us, we are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your vacation and that our hotel exceeded your expectations making your vacation memorable and special.
Please receive our appreciation for sharing your feelings with us, we look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. If you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you. lgomez @hotelesgdlplaza.com.mx
Carlton, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff is welcoming, personable and efficient! A call to the desk gets a butler or a maid to the room in amazingly short order! Impressive! The restaurant is not impressive and I was served the smallest glass of wine EVER. The mixed drinks are good. More interesting selections and better value can be had elsewhere for food and wine.

Room Tip: The resort next door is noisy. A room as far to the south end of the property is best. Loved the roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RedRonda
Dear Mrs. Red Ronda,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are glad to hear about the pleasant stay you had. It is very important for us to know that our guests enjoyed the time they spent with us.
Sunset Plaza Hotel appreciates the time you have taken to give us your opinion and observations, please be sure that your comments have been very helpful and we are committed to improve our opportunity areas.
Our butler’s team is an important piece of our services, they are available to cover all of our guest needs and make you feel as at home.
We are very happy to hear that we were up to your expectations.
We hope to see you soon.
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have reluctantly returned home from our second fantastic vacation at Sunset Plaza in Puerto Vallarta. Upon arrival at the resort, we were once again greeted by Javier (the resort manager) and his friendly butlers. Our suite was very clean and comfortable, well maintained and the view from the balcony still as spectacular as always. The restaurants still provided truly delicious meals presented with a loving touch. The pools (our favourite hangout) were always clean, attractive and quiet with lovely soft music playing in the background. The restaurant and pool waiters made sure that we were never lacking snacks or beverages. The grounds keepers worked tirelessly to keep entire area in impeccable shape. My wife experienced several great messages at the spa on-site and I visited the well equipped gym on a regular basis for exercise. Day after day, we were pampered and treated like royalty. We wish to thank you Javier, Manuel (chef), Elio and your entire staff (far too many names to mention) for your kindness, your friendship and for making our vacation another fantastic experience. See you soon!

Roland & Gerda

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Roland G
Dear Mr. Roland,
We are very proud to have you back at your home away from home!! Thank you for posting your nice review. We are so glad that you enjoyed all the benefits that Sunset Plaza Hotel guests have.
I will extend your congratulations to our staff. I am sure they will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.
Please receive our appreciation for sharing your feelings with us and your recommendations and look forward to your next visit.
Best Regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and I'm so happy we spent it at Sunset Plaza Hotel. Right on the beach which was perfect, but I was happier to spend my time by the pool being waited on by the always happy and energetic Alejandro-more than happy to keep the cervesa's coming all day.
The food is fantastic aswell, compliments to every chef! The servers do a spectacular job and were more than happy to help us learn some Spanglish.
Special thanks to Enzo, Pablo, Saul, Edward and Oscar for being there for our every need for each meal-these guys are a real credit to the hotel!
The butlers, particularly Hazeal and David, are great though helping with something special for the girlfriend, suggestions of what to do in town and releasing baby turtles into the bay.
Do yourself a favour and spend a week at this hotel...you will not regret it!
Thank you!! (Sies diecisiete!!)

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank 617Aus
Dear Guest (Mr. Seis Diecisiete),

Please let me express our gratitude for sharing such nice comments regarding your latest stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you really enjoy your vacation and we hope to have you back every year. I will extend your congratulations to Alejandro, Enzo, Pablo, Saul, Edward, Oscar, Azael and David for their great job.
We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you always receive from our staff. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and our all-inclusive; our executive chef and their great team are always happy to please any request.
It is always great to know our guests are interested in our turtle release program. Sea Turtles and baby sea turtle releases are a major ecological conservation in Puerto Vallarta as thousands of Olive Ridley Turtles who were born on the region’s beaches return every year to lay their eggs to perpetuate their cycle of life.
The challenge for the hatchlings is their journey from sandy beach to the sea, avoiding predators including birds and iguanas.
Turtle farms dedicated to the harvesting, hatching and releasing of baby sea turtles are a fascinating activity that delights our guest with an interactive educational and emotional experience, we are very proud to be part of it.
We are look forward to hosting you soon.
Best Regards,
San Carlos, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This review is long overdue. I stayed here in February of 2012 and absolutely loved every minute of it. Since then I've stayed in two other hotels in Puerto Vallarta, both close to Sunset Plaza. I wish I had returned here.

The staff is as good as they come. The facilities are perfect. The resort isn't massive like some other resorts, giving it a more boutique like feel. I looked forward to each meal, all a la carte, and never got tired of the food. The adults only area is nice to have and the view is great. You are also 50 pesos from the downtown (the minimum cab fare).

One of my favorite parts of the hotel is its size and how new everything is. The suite we had was simply amazing with gorgeous balconies. The architecture is modern and welcoming.

It was extremely relaxing and I can't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: I think it's worth it to upgrade to the suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tomas P
Dear Mr. Tomas,
Our rooms were designed to appreciate a beautiful view of the Bay from the comfort of your balcony. It is amazing to look the sunrise and sunset from it. Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa Located right on the beach at the center of the hotel zone, just a few minutes´ walk from the rich culture and traditional architecture of downtown and it is only 2.5 miles from the international airport and steps from the most important malls and beautiful Marina Vallarta. Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa is very close to everything Puerto Vallarta has to offer: dining, nightlife, shopping, golf and culture – yet far enough to ensure a relaxing and tranquil retreat.
Please receive our appreciation for sharing your feelings with us and yours recommendations. We look forward to your next visit.
Have a great day,
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We just got back from a 7 day vacation at the Sunset Plaza. My husband had been away for a year working on a project in another state so we really wanted a place that that we could go that was totally relaxing with wonderful service. I really did my research on this one and all I can say is WOW..what a great vacation. So glad we chose Sunset Plaza. The staff totally catered to our every need. Our butlers were super attentive (thanks David and Juan - and a few others which I don't remember their names). They went above and beyond the call of duty and we wanted for NOTHING! I know I have forgotten so many names, but truly appreciated them ALL.
Juana cleaned our room every day and always left it so fabulously refreshed.
We chose the perfect week to go .. (October 9-16) right before the high season began, and the hotel was perfectly quiet and peaceful. I had a little bit of reservation about this resort not being adults only, but honestly the families that were there with children were hardly noticed. The adult pool is completely serene and beautiful. Alejandro did the BEST job keeping our drinks cold and filled every minute. He was such a great server and continuously checked on us bringing whatever we needed right away.
I'm pretty sure that Javier, the hotel manager, doesn't sleep. Lol :). . He was ALWAYS there with a smile on his face to assist in every detail of your vacation being perfect. My husband and I loved the music that was played at the hotel and Javier downloaded the hotel music on to a flash drive that we purchased from the Office Depot down the street. Free of charge! Such a nice man.
The food... All I can say is I am not sure why there is not more talk on here about the great food. Not only is the food BEAUTIFUL..but it is yummy as well. For an all inclusive, the food is really phenomenal. The only restaurant we didn't try was the Japanese. We wanted to, but the night we were headed down there, a rain storm came in and we chose something different from room service. I HIGHLY recommend when booking that you spend the extra money to upgrade your room to a suite. The views..oh my gosh..just breath taking. Totally worth it.
It's like having your own little apartment with a gorgeous ocean view for a week.
There is really not one bad thing I can say about this place. Service was spectacular, food was awesome, views were amazing, bed was so comfy..just so happy we chose here.
Also, when booking, don't pay extra for the voucher that takes you from the airport to the hotel. The taxi is cheaper. We paid 25 dollars round trip for one, and the taxi is only about 15 bucks round trip ..for two. Don't get sucked in to the time share people at the airport either. My advice is to walk straight through the airport doors and head right to the taxis without talking to ANYONE. We got sucked in for about 25 minutes before we realized we were even talking to 'them'. They are so sneaky. They make you think they are part of your hotel and that they are giving you information on Puerto Vallarta.
If you decide to eat in town, you HAVE to try Happy Lobster. Amazing.
Also, We also had not one, but Two 90 minute massages at Venus Spa ( by the marina ) and only paid $50.00 each .. Amazing price for 90 minutes..but let me tell you..the massage..oh man..they were SOOOO FABULOUS. We have never had such a great massage in the states. They are trained very very well and we were really impressed (which is why we booked the 2nd one), by the way, I had Merry do both of my massages and my husband had Catalina.

All in all, I couldn't have been happier with this vacation and this resort. We will DEFINITELY be back!!

Room Tip: Make sure to upgrade your room to a suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kim H
Quality_1Manager, Manager at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Mrs. Hennemans,
Thank you for sharing such nice comments regarding your visit, we are very happy to hear that you and your husband really enjoy your vacation with us.
Sunset Plaza hotel is oriented to for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, a business event, or an unforgettable wedding or honeymoon whether you plan to visit Puerto Vallarta. For us, it is really motivating to know that our service makes the difference in our guests’ vacation and that we are able to help you relax and simply enjoy your free time with us.
The newly constructed Sunset Plaza Resort & Spa is an impressive sight of contemporary architecture, curving gently around a lushly landscaped beachfront sundeck, where two infinity pools sparkle and guests bask in the sun in comfortable lounge chairs or enjoy a soak in one of three open-air Jacuzzis.
Each of the Sunset Plaza’s spacious guest rooms and suites features a private terrace with a breathtaking 180° view of the ocean and the spectacular Puerto Vallarta´s sunset. The rooms are warmly decorated in hues of orange, gold and sparkle, equipped with fine granite countertops, marble bathroom surfaces, and elegant contemporary wood furniture.
Amenities at Sunset Plaza include a large fitness room and spa; an activity packed Kids Club, two full-service restaurants – one international cuisine and one Italian – a deli, a lobby lounge, and the Poolside Aqua Bar.
Please know that Sunset Plaza takes highly consideration of all our guest comments, always working on pampering and making our guests feel at home.
We will be looking forward to seeing you soon.