“Great experience at this hotel”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We just got back from a week at the Sunset Plaza. I was impressed with many aspects of it:
- huge, modern one-bedroom suites, kept very clean
- despite the fact the resort was at capacity, the pool and poolside areas never felt "busy"
- different pools for different people (an adult only one, a family one and a couple geared at little ones)
- the "chilled out" atmosphere; despite it being a family hotel, it wasn't the type of place with screaming children or non-stop organized pool activities accompanied by obnoxious music
- great kids club with swings, climbing apparatus
- helpful, professional staff

The food was okay, but I've had much better food at other AI's that aren't as nice as this place. I think this is an area they could improve on. It can also take a long time to get served if you eat after 8 pm. We have a 2 year old and waiting for over an hour for your food is not an easy thing to do with a young one. If you ate earlier, this wasn't a problem as the kitchen wasn't as busy.

I notice that some of the people who have criticisms of this hotel point out the lack of night life and daytime activities at this resort. This is very true. And this is why we loved it. Instead of thumping music over loud speakers, there was calm jazz or chill out music, and the night activity we experienced was an el fresco supper with cultural dancers. It was great. But this is not the place for wild parties or karaoke singing into the wee hours. It's a great place for singles, couples and families who want to chill out at a classy place.

We met lots of great people (fellow travelers and staff) and hope to be back. I don't generally go back to the same places - it is fun to try new experiences - but I feel this place really has got it right.

3  Thank JJVan
Write a ReviewReviews (3,434)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

What can I say that hasn't been said already about the Sunset, great room, spacious, clean and modern. The maids are cleaning twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
The view is beautiful and breathtaking.
The food is excellent and our waiters were attentive during all the week. The butlers Hazael and Jose are the best butlers of all resorts we have been to. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Plaza Caracol and you can do your grocery there and the plaza malecon is 10 minutes by cab.
My daughter loved the kid's club but I strongly suggest the supervision of children under 7 years old.
The weather has not been on our side but the resort as nothing to do with that ,luckily the pool was heated! The beach is small but we found it very convenient with a young child and the pools replaces the lack of beach.
Thanks to the Sunset Plaza’s staff, we spent an enjoyable week and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 6th floor and up
2  Thank Julielesyeuxbleus
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have never stayed at a resort with your own personal butler assigned to your stay. Anything you need or want they will make sure you get, tipping them upon arrival creates a bond with them. We stayed on th 8th floor and had amazing views of the ocean. A really cool feature is robes and slippers waiting for your arrival in your room. The staff is anxious to please the customers throughout the resort. One thing I was not sure I liked was ordering off a menu as opposed to a buffet. They might consider adding a couple more choices to the menus. There are two different menus basically changing every other day. The main outside resturant for breakfast, lunch and dinner seemed to take at least 45 minutes for each meal. I think they may need another waiter, although the whole crew seems to be moving constantly, but getting nowhere fast. The food was GOOD and the presentation was very nice, but seemed to take for ever to get waited on and then the food delivered to your table. I can't put my finger on what could speed up the process, except for maybe another waiter. Constantly having to give the hostess, waiter, bar tender your room number seemed silly, being that we had a braclet on IDing that we had the All-Inclusive package. For the Luciano resturant you needed reservations. The food and service was very good there. Ask to eat at one of the tables outside surrounded by torches for the romantic atmosphere.
The rooms are clean and beds and pillows very comfortable. The pools are luke warm, (nice), but the hot tubs are not hot or even as warm as the pools. I have never seen such a wonderful kids activity room filled with plentiful and unique crafts for them to make. They also had a WE game, videos and outside play area. For the adults, there is usually a game of Black Jack or Bingo to get in on daily. They also had food or drink demos that were interesting throughout the week we stayed there. They could use a few more umbrellas throughout the property due to lack of shade trees around the pool. My husband got up daily by 7am to claim our chairs and get an umbrella. There is a coffee setup in the courtyard every morning by 7am. If you go to the resturant and order the fresh baked rolls you can bring them and the coffee back to your room and watch a little TV before starting your day of relaxing in the warm Mexican weather.
Go off property to get a wonderful massage for $25 US dollars for 75 minutes. Go to the main street, turn right to Vista Vallarta, turn right and follow the sidewalk around to the back. Look for the massages that are being offered for $25.
If you want a romantic evening go to Rhythums of the Night. The boat ride over and back was entertaining with free drinks. The Island is like Survivor or Indiana Jones, all torch lite and a tropical setting. The buffet food was HOT, delicious and plentiful! The native show was very good. This area could be challenging for people with difficultly walking up inclines.
For Ha Ha's take the CENTRE bus downtown for under 70 cents, (US), 6 1/2 pesos, one way. They run constantly on the main road.
For a fantastic meal and sunset in the mountains go to El Panorama. You won't regret it! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a room above floor 5 to be able to have a clear view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank debsred
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent staff and comfortable rooms, food was great. Just the right size for a relaxing getaway and close enough to town to get your nightlife fix. Beach is clean, but nothing special. The adult pool was a nice bonus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank skdean13
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had a great time as this hotel. I went there with my friend. It is a great hotel for families, couple or a girls trip. I was satisfied with all the amenities. The rooms were clean and modern. The food was great and service excellent with friendly staff. I really had a wonderful time! I will definitely go back.
The spa was small with limited service.

3  Thank Stefania F
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My stay at the Sunset Plaza Resort was the most amazing resort I have stayed in Mexico yet and I have been to several parts and have stayed in approximately 10 resorts. The staff is what really made the experience stand out. Every single staff went out of their way to accommodate every need. The word "no" does not seem to be in their vocabulary. A special thanks to Victor the restaurant Manager and many of the waiters like Jose, Juan, Sergio, Reynaldo, Randy in the bar and the list goes on.
The rooms were great with pillow top beds, iPod docking stations, great TVs, and free wireless. Every room has a great ocean view as the hotel faces the ocean directly and all have large balconies for great views of the sunrise and sunset.
The butlers were extremely helpful and always asked how things were and went out of their way to deliver fantastic service.
The pools were the cleanest I have ever seen and they took great care every morning to make sure that there was not one spec of anything from the day before. The outdoor bathrooms were being mopped and wiped down regularly.
One of the best things was the fact that there was table service for every meal and no waiting in buffet lines and the food delivered was perfect every time. They had a great selection of Chilean wine served out of the bottles unlike so many other places that has undrinkable wine coming out of carafes so you never really know what you are getting.
This resort may be a couple of hundred dollars more than others but it is well worth every penny. 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes to the old town. The location could not be better.

Room Tip: The higher you go the less noise but really there was not much noise.
1  Thank KandGtravelabout
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just came back from our vacation in Puerto Vallarta, it was great family vacation, we all loved it but there are few thing that I found were disappointing.
First of all butlers, tip them generously when you first arrive, and doesn't matter what time is it, there is lots of things that they will help you if you do! If you don't they'll
Food a bit disappointing since the breakfast menu was very similar every day so by day 7 we didn't feel like going there anymore, kids couldn't enjoy having almost the same every day.
Dinners had a little more verity but I expected more from a 4 diamonds hotel. The pool snack were same everyday!
As we arrived on the first day we were got into going to see the time shares from the hotel itself since the owner builds more hotels closely and interested in selling it so if you interested in going for some activities it makes the discount pretty significant even though for the kids it was a torture.
Rooms are very specious when you stay in the suite, clean the staff is friendly.
Lots of people complained about being noisy in the hotel, especially during the night time, but we didn't experience it as much!
Last thing I want to mention that since our flight was scheduled to take off in the evening, we planned to stay in the hotel until than but as soon as we checked out which is around noon time we discovered that we are not allowed to use the hotel facilities anymore, which was disappointing since we had 4 hours to kill.
it was our first experience in Mexico and in overall it was a good one! I am not sure that I will come back there again but it is decent level of service!

Room Tip: I would suggest top floor as best option for better view and less noisy!
5  Thank Mexicovac
Gerencia-Sunset, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa trough TripAdviso

We appreciate all of our guest’s comments and suggestions regarding our services, food and facilities, which benefit our impulse to increment and maintain our ambition to achieve top quality service levels.

Hoping to have the honor to see you again in a near future, in order to show you our improvements thanks your comments.

Sincerely!!