“Great location and services”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was a very fun place to stay. Great view of the ocean from your room and the pool and dining areas. The all-inclusive package was great to enjoy the different food choices whenever you liked, and plenty of frozen drinks to enjoy pool-side, or even at the swim up bar. Daily activities like kayaking offered for free, and other activities are available to purchase from peoples on the beach. Close enough to walk to downtown, or you can take a cheap bus ride.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael D
Write a ReviewReviews (3,329)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Oh my gosh where to begin, this resort and the staff are absolutely amazing! There was six of us in our party. We were there for 10 days. The service was wonderful, the food was great. It was by far the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken. The staff is absolutely fabulous, there was absolutely nothing that we wanted for. At this place you have your own Butler. your own favorite scent sprayed at turndown every night. Hazael, Juan, Javier, Diego, Jorge, Victor, etc... I can't name all of the wonderful staff but every one of them was outstanding. The resort is very tastefully decorated and extremely clean!! I could go on for ever about how wonderful this place is. We will definitely be returning to Sunset Plaza Resort!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just came back from two weeks in PV, 1st week at Sunset Plaza and we did the All-Inclusive because their was 8 of us. Been going to PV for the last 15 years and have stayed at a number of places. Sunset Plaza is one of the best we have stayed at. The drinks at good, food is good, not great but you can order as much as you want.(wife and I would share meal because we are not big eaters). The pool water temp. is the best I have ever been in, we stayed our second week in our TS(Club Regina) and pool water was cold. If you like to spend time in the pool you will not be disappointed it was just Wonderful! Great location to get downtown and if you get tired of hotel food there are places you can walk to for a change.

Very.....Very person that we had any contact with at SunSet Plaza was polite, helpful, and wanted to do everything they could to make our stay a good one. This is the only hotel I have ever been to that the Managers Desk in the lobby and he(Mr. Vergara) was there all of the time or somebody else was sitting here. Everytime we went my Mr. Vergara greeted us and most of the time by our names!

If you read this review and it is your first time in PV......look at Sunset Plaza, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms have a oceanview, anything above the 3 floor would be good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ericfromiowa
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had an amazing time at the Sunset Plaza, I just returned from a 3 day trip. At my arrival, I was greeted by the property manager who was very nice and welcoming. The views from the 10th floor were amazing, and in the morning you could see the whales out in the ocean. The room was clean and roomy. I had a great time on the balcony. Randy was a great bartender and very accommodating. Roberto, from the butler service was AWESOME. The food was average; I did not care for the breakfast selection. I heard from the other guess that the Italian restaurant was good, but did not get a chance to try it. I had a great experience at Sunset Plaza and will definitely go back soon.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1009 and was very pleased.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Assi D
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed there Jan 23-30th after spending a week at the Grand Marival- a 4.5 star- we have been to 12- 5 stars - but will compare it to the Marival at a 4.5 star rating

The manager Javier greeted us when we arrived- very nice man- was able to talk about management styles etc over the week-- The Butler was a great guy and really the service is over-rated and really is a Lobby Butler.

Service- 5 star- yes was very good- esp in the lobby and at the bar's- they went out of there way to please you-

Rooms- 6 star- amazing - the suites are amazing, the views are spectacular-

Food- 4 star- the Grand Marival had better food and overall- lunch menu lacked and the menu was repetitive- The Italian was very good but short staffed but had a nice weekend breakfast

Pools- 4.5 star- nice and warm- west end of the pool had no ocean view when sitting in a lounger- hot tubs are raised and not convenient but ok- adult pool was private and had a nice view- very good bar service- always there serving you

Beach- 2.5 star- very lacking- if you are a beach person- this is not the place for you- two days you could not use it and only has two or three beds and 4-5 loungers- very disappointing

MASSAGE- RCS Massage - the best and deepest massage we have ever had- $25.00 for 75 minutes - go past the bistro ( north ) to the staff parking- out the staff entrance and cross the street - north one block at the Villas Vallarta entrance- a two minute walk- dont go to the competition- we did and were disappointed- RCS- went daily after finding it- Wow

It is an amazing building and nice resort overall- Meet some great people from Boston and Brandon- I was up and at the pool at 5:30 am for some beautiful Full Moons- The Sunsets were amazing- Did I love the resort- no- Did I like it- yes- Would I return- No- I put it this way- the resort was like a beautiful woman with no real personality- But if you want to relax- sit by an Adult Pool and have a quiet vacation with great service you will like it.

Room Tip: RCS- massage a must
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deb_garth_wpg
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We just returned from 5 days at this great resort! We had 11 people in our party and it was one of the best vacations ever. The hotel staff was SO friendly, the rooms were very clean and the resort itself was divine. Highly recommend the All-inclusive. The drinks alone were worth it. We did go to the Malecon a couple of times to eat lunch but not because the food was bad. The only suggestion I have would be to have more than 2 variations of the dinner menu in the Bistro restaurant. Other than that....NO COMPLAINTS!! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone and hope to go back again someday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was an extremely nice and clean resort that my wife and I stayed at along with some friends who timeshare here. It was all of 5 stars in my opinion. The suites were very large, completely stocked with all the kitchen items you may need and the view is the best in the city of PV (all ocean front views). The staff was superior, friendly, always asking if they can help you or if we were doing ok. Awesome pool area and swim up bar, but...... it was too quiet. The music it was playing around the enitre grounds (out of little rock speakers) was elevator music and it was like I was riding on an endless elevator ride that never stopped. Aaahh! I wish they could have some variety and mix it up a little. I guess they are targeting older, less "happening" crowd. The one restaurant they have (Luciano's) was very good (although a couple we visited with at the resort did not fare so well with a not so good meal and ants on the table I guess) we thought it was very good. There is also another pool area restaurant that served great food too, loved the seafood burrito. Salvador, Ulyssis and Randy kept the wonderful drinks coming!

We plan to return next year without a doubt!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends