Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
$279
$356
$273
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$307
$286
$251
$196
Bookit.com
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$423
$140
  • Pool
$168
$81
  • Breakfast included
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$129
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
$161
3,547 results
All reviewsmanager javierone bedroom suitemirador restaurantadult poolpersonal butlerbutler serviceitalian restaurantmain restaurantswim up barall inclusive packagekids clubthe hotel managerrooms face the oceanlarge balconyfull kitchenthe general managerocean view
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had an amazing holiday at the Sunset Plaza. The minute we stepped inside the resort we were handed chilled champage and greeted with warm smiles. We loved the suite layout for a family with two children. Our daughters slept on the pull-out couch in the living room and we slept in the master bedroom. The rooms are incredible and they all look out to the sunset! The resort is not too big so you never have to look far to see your children in the pool. There is a wonderful children's area that our daughters loved! Gloria was amazing! She set up incredibly fun crafts every day. She has a natural way with the children. The girls would go to her in the middle of the day when it was too hot and then my husband and I could read our books. The food was great. We especially loved the breakfasts and lunches. The only qualm would be the beach for us. Our daughters didn't mind but I prefer a shallow beach with rolling waves and this beach wasn't as good for playing in but all the perks made up for it. We enjoyed this spot so much that we will be returning at Christmas.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel was perfectly nice. Very friendly staff, good service poolside, good meals at El Mirador. Unfortunately we were very misled with our $200 resort credit. We tried to use the credit at point of purchase and no one had any idea what the credits were. Then we were told to just hold onto them until the end and use them at checkout. I suspected something was up, but unfortunately I did not push it any further. With all the caveats and exceptions, our $200 resort credit ended up being a $20 credit. VERY frustrating and disappointing for what was about to be a very nice stay.

9  Thank A D
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our first visit to Puerto Vallarta and we selected the Sunset Plaza based on previous reviews and price. We certainly weren't disappointed. We decided to go mad and book a one bedroom suite, even though we were all-inclusive, and we absolutely loved the extra space, including the large terrace.
The service from all employed at the resort was magnificent. Special mention to Ivan (our butler), Sharon in the lobby bar and Javier, the resort manager. I could list them all but can't remember everyone's name. My wife did have a small complaint, but it was immediately dealt with, and we were even asked for our feedback.
We've been all-inclusive elsewhere and were disappointed with the food quality. No such worries here, from the breakfast and lunch menus at the pool restaurant, to the evening menu at Luciano's and the pool restaurant, we enjoyed every meal, and loved the food presentation.
The pool and jacuzzi areas are very clean, and the bar service at the pool was great (even better if you tip). The adult pool is nice and quiet in cases of kids invading the main pool.
My wife and I both had the 80 minute massage plus 25 minute facial - bliss!
Make sure you visit the malecon in town for great shopping and plenty of bar/restaurants. It's about a 40 minute stroll, or there are plenty of buses.
We are already making plans for when we can return to this great resort!

Room Tip: All rooms ocean facing. If you can afford an extra $70 per night, go for the one bed suite.
3  Thank michael o
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The best vacation we ever had!!! We stayed the week of October 16-21, 2012. If you are tired of staying in the mega resorts and eating over heated buffet food, and having to make reservations for dinner, then this is the place to stay. It was an intimate experience. The staff was wonderful and attentive. When we arrived we were greeted with an ice cold towel and a flute of Champaign. Gabriel checked us in and was great to explain the resort and amenities. We then met Javier the General Manager who seemed sincerely grateful that we chose to stay at his resort. Then we met Juan our butler; Outstanding!!! He is a charming young man always with a smile on his face, and always extremely helpful. We chose to upgrade our room to a suite, and were very impressed; kitchenette, living area, comfortable master suite and an additional bath. More room than we could possibly use and it was clean, and well maintained, the house keeping and turn down service were great. The food was delicious, everything made to order served hot. The wait staff was attentive, courteous, and prompt. Salvador, Alejandro, Martin were some of our favorites. Salvador helped daily with our Spanish. We loved the idea of the adult pool kept private from the rest of the grounds. Lastly the location a five dollar taxi ride to the market, board walk, or to the marina and the mall. We will definitely stay again!!!.

2  Thank Ken C
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The service aspect of the resort was good. The staff was friendly and courteous. Some of the employees did provide me incorrect information, such as times the restaurants were open, package prices on the spa, etc. None of these inconsistencies were life threatening, but they were annoying. There was a person there that asked me to commit to a presentation; I had no idea that Sunset Plaza was a timeshare property. They offered a free breakfast buffet, presentation, tour of the entire property, and then a one-day 50% coupon for all-inclusive, and like 20% off any tour booked through the hotel. I was not interested, and declined. They asked again, and I declined. Then the lady asked me again- and I declined, again. She was friendly, but a bit pushy. Not my style! Also, Alicia did a great job helping me book my tours (I went zip-lining and also a Vallarta Adventure), but there was some mis-communication with the zip-lining tour. She, the person who I met at the zip-line office and the driver that day ALL told me that they would drop me off at the hotel. AT. There was really no reason for me to think that they would drop me off anywhere except at the front door. We were done with the tour, hot and sweaty, the driver pulled over on the side of the road, (busy area of town) and said 'ugh, I drop you off here now' - I look at him with confusion - you said AT the hotel. 'Oh, no I can't, the taxi drivers and I don't get along, and I have to drop you off here' and was staring at me to get out. I got out, and had to navigate the 6 lanes of traffic as a pedestrian to get the heck back to the hotel. I told Alicia what had just happened, and the person who managed the zip-line company happened to be there in Alicia's office when I walked in, and Alicia adamantly said 'I never told you that!' (and she did). It was just frustrating; they were not truthful with me. The manager guy said 'It's illegal for them to drive up to the hotel because of the taxis'. If that is the case, they should have told me that from the beginning. The massage I received was nice, it was a DEEP tissue massage, and was (kind of) relaxing. The spa was clean and seemed relaxing, I was the only one in the spa.

The food was bad. I tried dinner at the Italian restaurant and was extremely disappointed. The soup was subpar Campbell’s style, and extremely salty. The lasagna was a rubbery, dried out consistency, and not even the right colors. The plate it was served on was REALLY hot, and the lasagna was room temperature. I ate the soup out of desperation (I was SO hungry) and had to return the lasagna, it was disgusting. They axed the lasagna from my bill, because I didn't eat it, and offered an apology of 'I'm sorry you didn't like it'. I promptly took a taxi to Wal-Mart and bought PB and bread, yogurt, milk and cereal. I also tried lunch at the restaurant at the pool, and was pretty frustrated. The chefs look fancy, with their tall white hats. They couldn't even make soup correctly! I ordered a Mexican-style soup, and the ingredients were mentioned in great detail on the menu. They were: shredded chicken, rice, broth, avocado, cilantro, lime, veggies, and cheese. The first round they gave me shredded chicken and rice in broth, nothing else. I asked them to add the other stuff that was on the menu; they brought back broth, cubed chicken (barely any) small portion of rice, and a small cube of a whitish cheese. I begged the waiter to just bring me the other ingredients- it was next to nothing what they provided me. Bear in mind that was like a 90 Pesos cup of soup....My other attempt with the food was the room-service breakfast. I ordered French toast with bacon, one egg and apple juice. The French toast was fine, it was basically bread sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The eggs were good, the juice and bacon as well. **One thing I noticed that REALLY bugged me: I was kept on the sidelines, and was waited on only after the all-inclusive guests were helped. Their food was presented in a grand fashion to the all-inclusive guests, and mine was treated very differently. I don't know if it was because I was solo, or because I didn't do the all-inclusive option. But I did notice, and it did bother me!

The room was nice, clean and large. I would recommend asking for more TP, as they provide one roll per day, and no extras on top of the toilet. You never know when you may need more... The a/c did have challenges keeping up with the temperature I wanted, I never got below 75ish. I prefer about 72-73 but that it wasn't bad. Juanita, the maid, was very friendly and I appreciated her time getting me more of anything I needed (lotion, TP, etc.). The maid on duty does come by at about 5pm to offer an aromatherapy spritz - the scents are fine, but they go a little crazy and shut the bathroom door so it hits you like a ton of bricks. For people with allergies I would ask them to not spray anything, I looked at the side of the bottle one day when the maid came to my room and the ingredients were a mile long.

The pools were nice, clean, and quiet. The pool bartenders were friendly and very efficient with getting drinks out to you under your umbrella or cabana. I did notice that the pool part of the bar where you can swim up and sit on a stool was never stocked; they had to run to the top part of the bar to grab your drink. Maybe it's because October isn't their busy season? I thought that was kind of a bummer though; there was no 'fun pool bartender' presence down there.

The location is fine. It is not within normal walking distance to the Malecon. It took about 5 to 7 minutes to get there by taxi, and it would have taken forever and 3 blisters long to walk there. When it's hot and humid the last thing you want to do is walk for 45 minutes. The grounds of the hotel are kept very nice; the landscaping is tropical and attractive. There is a sandy beach, with some rocks on the bottom in the water. I waded in once, and then the rest of the time had a brown layer on the entire shore due to heavy daily rain. There is a rocky jet-out thing on either side of the property; I think they hold weddings on those areas during low tide. You can hear their sister properties rock out all day with their microphones and music, the hotel that is right next door, and owned by the same company, is definitely geared towards young, party-driven people. It seemed hard to separate the party people from the very quiet and relaxed people at our property with just a fence.

Pros: Clean and large rooms, safe place to stay with friendly staff
Cons: food quality, location (if you want to easily get around downtown), consistency of information provided to guests

I think Sunset Plaza has HUGE potential to be a top award winning resort, but they do need to focus on some things first. I am giving them a 3.5 out of 5 review.

Next time I go to PV I will try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms would have less noise from the neighboring pool and better views. All rooms are facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo