“So good...until the end”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Francisco, California
“So good...until the end”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel was perfectly nice. Very friendly staff, good service poolside, good meals at El Mirador. Unfortunately we were very misled with our $200 resort credit. We tried to use the credit at point of purchase and no one had any idea what the credits were. Then we were told to just hold onto them until the end and use them at checkout. I suspected something was up, but unfortunately I did not push it any further. With all the caveats and exceptions, our $200 resort credit ended up being a $20 credit. VERY frustrating and disappointing for what was about to be a very nice stay.

9 Thank A D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Polish first
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our first visit to Puerto Vallarta and we selected the Sunset Plaza based on previous reviews and price. We certainly weren't disappointed. We decided to go mad and book a one bedroom suite, even though we were all-inclusive, and we absolutely loved the extra space, including the large terrace.
The service from all employed at the resort was magnificent. Special mention to Ivan (our butler), Sharon in the lobby bar and Javier, the resort manager. I could list them all but can't remember everyone's name. My wife did have a small complaint, but it was immediately dealt with, and we were even asked for our feedback.
We've been all-inclusive elsewhere and were disappointed with the food quality. No such worries here, from the breakfast and lunch menus at the pool restaurant, to the evening menu at Luciano's and the pool restaurant, we enjoyed every meal, and loved the food presentation.
The pool and jacuzzi areas are very clean, and the bar service at the pool was great (even better if you tip). The adult pool is nice and quiet in cases of kids invading the main pool.
My wife and I both had the 80 minute massage plus 25 minute facial - bliss!
Make sure you visit the malecon in town for great shopping and plenty of bar/restaurants. It's about a 40 minute stroll, or there are plenty of buses.
We are already making plans for when we can return to this great resort!

Room Tip: All rooms ocean facing. If you can afford an extra $70 per night, go for the one bed suite.
3 Thank Michael O
The Colony, Texas
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The best vacation we ever had!!! We stayed the week of October 16-21, 2012. If you are tired of staying in the mega resorts and eating over heated buffet food, and having to make reservations for dinner, then this is the place to stay. It was an intimate experience. The staff was wonderful and attentive. When we arrived we were greeted with an ice cold towel and a flute of Champaign. Gabriel checked us in and was great to explain the resort and amenities. We then met Javier the General Manager who seemed sincerely grateful that we chose to stay at his resort. Then we met Juan our butler; Outstanding!!! He is a charming young man always with a smile on his face, and always extremely helpful. We chose to upgrade our room to a suite, and were very impressed; kitchenette, living area, comfortable master suite and an additional bath. More room than we could possibly use and it was clean, and well maintained, the house keeping and turn down service were great. The food was delicious, everything made to order served hot. The wait staff was attentive, courteous, and prompt. Salvador, Alejandro, Martin were some of our favorites. Salvador helped daily with our Spanish. We loved the idea of the adult pool kept private from the rest of the grounds. Lastly the location a five dollar taxi ride to the market, board walk, or to the marina and the mall. We will definitely stay again!!!.

2 Thank Ken C
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The service aspect of the resort was good. The staff was friendly and courteous. Some of the employees did provide me incorrect information, such as times the restaurants were open, package prices on the spa, etc. None of these inconsistencies were life threatening, but they were annoying. There was a person there that asked me to commit to a presentation; I had no idea that Sunset Plaza was a timeshare property. They offered a free breakfast buffet, presentation, tour of the entire property, and then a one-day 50% coupon for all-inclusive, and like 20% off any tour booked through the hotel. I was not interested, and declined. They asked again, and I declined. Then the lady asked me again- and I declined, again. She was friendly, but a bit pushy. Not my style! Also, Alicia did a great job helping me book my tours (I went zip-lining and also a Vallarta Adventure), but there was some mis-communication with the zip-lining tour. She, the person who I met at the zip-line office and the driver that day ALL told me that they would drop me off at the hotel. AT. There was really no reason for me to think that they would drop me off anywhere except at the front door. We were done with the tour, hot and sweaty, the driver pulled over on the side of the road, (busy area of town) and said 'ugh, I drop you off here now' - I look at him with confusion - you said AT the hotel. 'Oh, no I can't, the taxi drivers and I don't get along, and I have to drop you off here' and was staring at me to get out. I got out, and had to navigate the 6 lanes of traffic as a pedestrian to get the heck back to the hotel. I told Alicia what had just happened, and the person who managed the zip-line company happened to be there in Alicia's office when I walked in, and Alicia adamantly said 'I never told you that!' (and she did). It was just frustrating; they were not truthful with me. The manager guy said 'It's illegal for them to drive up to the hotel because of the taxis'. If that is the case, they should have told me that from the beginning. The massage I received was nice, it was a DEEP tissue massage, and was (kind of) relaxing. The spa was clean and seemed relaxing, I was the only one in the spa.

The food was bad. I tried dinner at the Italian restaurant and was extremely disappointed. The soup was subpar Campbell’s style, and extremely salty. The lasagna was a rubbery, dried out consistency, and not even the right colors. The plate it was served on was REALLY hot, and the lasagna was room temperature. I ate the soup out of desperation (I was SO hungry) and had to return the lasagna, it was disgusting. They axed the lasagna from my bill, because I didn't eat it, and offered an apology of 'I'm sorry you didn't like it'. I promptly took a taxi to Wal-Mart and bought PB and bread, yogurt, milk and cereal. I also tried lunch at the restaurant at the pool, and was pretty frustrated. The chefs look fancy, with their tall white hats. They couldn't even make soup correctly! I ordered a Mexican-style soup, and the ingredients were mentioned in great detail on the menu. They were: shredded chicken, rice, broth, avocado, cilantro, lime, veggies, and cheese. The first round they gave me shredded chicken and rice in broth, nothing else. I asked them to add the other stuff that was on the menu; they brought back broth, cubed chicken (barely any) small portion of rice, and a small cube of a whitish cheese. I begged the waiter to just bring me the other ingredients- it was next to nothing what they provided me. Bear in mind that was like a 90 Pesos cup of soup....My other attempt with the food was the room-service breakfast. I ordered French toast with bacon, one egg and apple juice. The French toast was fine, it was basically bread sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The eggs were good, the juice and bacon as well. **One thing I noticed that REALLY bugged me: I was kept on the sidelines, and was waited on only after the all-inclusive guests were helped. Their food was presented in a grand fashion to the all-inclusive guests, and mine was treated very differently. I don't know if it was because I was solo, or because I didn't do the all-inclusive option. But I did notice, and it did bother me!

The room was nice, clean and large. I would recommend asking for more TP, as they provide one roll per day, and no extras on top of the toilet. You never know when you may need more... The a/c did have challenges keeping up with the temperature I wanted, I never got below 75ish. I prefer about 72-73 but that it wasn't bad. Juanita, the maid, was very friendly and I appreciated her time getting me more of anything I needed (lotion, TP, etc.). The maid on duty does come by at about 5pm to offer an aromatherapy spritz - the scents are fine, but they go a little crazy and shut the bathroom door so it hits you like a ton of bricks. For people with allergies I would ask them to not spray anything, I looked at the side of the bottle one day when the maid came to my room and the ingredients were a mile long.

The pools were nice, clean, and quiet. The pool bartenders were friendly and very efficient with getting drinks out to you under your umbrella or cabana. I did notice that the pool part of the bar where you can swim up and sit on a stool was never stocked; they had to run to the top part of the bar to grab your drink. Maybe it's because October isn't their busy season? I thought that was kind of a bummer though; there was no 'fun pool bartender' presence down there.

The location is fine. It is not within normal walking distance to the Malecon. It took about 5 to 7 minutes to get there by taxi, and it would have taken forever and 3 blisters long to walk there. When it's hot and humid the last thing you want to do is walk for 45 minutes. The grounds of the hotel are kept very nice; the landscaping is tropical and attractive. There is a sandy beach, with some rocks on the bottom in the water. I waded in once, and then the rest of the time had a brown layer on the entire shore due to heavy daily rain. There is a rocky jet-out thing on either side of the property; I think they hold weddings on those areas during low tide. You can hear their sister properties rock out all day with their microphones and music, the hotel that is right next door, and owned by the same company, is definitely geared towards young, party-driven people. It seemed hard to separate the party people from the very quiet and relaxed people at our property with just a fence.

Pros: Clean and large rooms, safe place to stay with friendly staff
Cons: food quality, location (if you want to easily get around downtown), consistency of information provided to guests

I think Sunset Plaza has HUGE potential to be a top award winning resort, but they do need to focus on some things first. I am giving them a 3.5 out of 5 review.

Next time I go to PV I will try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms would have less noise from the neighboring pool and better views. All rooms are f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank 805Robin
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2012

To us this is the best place to stay in Puerto Vallarta, bar none. We have stayed here twice in the past year and each time it has been exceptional. The food is delicious, rooms are very spacious, perfect beach front location and a only a short trip to the Malecon, and best of all; genuinely friendly and incredible staff make you feel so special. The Sunset Plaza has so much going for it. We have written a letter to the hotel singling out so many of the great staff. It is obvious a lot stems from the manager - Javier - and the team he has surrounded himself with. We will be back soon and we regularly recommend the Sunset to all of our family and friends as well.
Ken and Mariluz - Vancouver, B.C.

Room Tip: If you can pay a little more pick a one bedroom suite, it is well worth it, for a minor cost. Eat a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ken H
Soldotna
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in Oct of 2012 for a week. Right from the start it was great. The wealth on information from the bell boys - Victor and Diego was wonderful. Roberto, our personal assistant, was also perfect. We ate from the street vendors and restaurants recommended by all three, none of them was a dissapointment. If there is anything to knock was the service at the Aqua bar,nice people, good drinks but just a little slow. We are already planning a return trip. Thanks to all at Sunset Plaza that we dealt with. R&R

3 Thank Robert h
Gerencia-Sunset, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa for your recent visit to Puerto Vallarta, we thank you for sharing your opinion about our services and facilities. Our staff, work very hard to provide a memorable service with a friendly touch.

Hoping to see you again in a near future.

Our very best regards!!!
Richland, Washington
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We just made our first trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. We found the Manager and staff of the Sunset Plaza, to be warm, friendly and very accomodating. They made sure that the coffee arrived on time and every question was answered. All of our needs were met. The hotel boasts 2 pools, one is for adults only and 3 jacuzzi's. Every part of this hotel was clean and the facilties were recently built. Make sure to enjoy the Resteraunt and the Spa as well. If you truely want to experience the great hospitality of Mexico..stay at the Sunset Plaza and please tell Javier Versava that Sam & Pat send our warm wishes. We can't wait to go again...and very soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bedroom without the kitchen but they have beautiful 1 bedrooms with kitchens and 2...
2 Thank Patricia A
Sam & Pat,

Thank you for your kind compliments about your recent visit to Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed along your stay with us. It is very pleasant to know that we did a good job.

Reviews like yours, gives us the certainty that we are heading on the right direction.

It was our pleasure to host your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Once again thank you for your preference.

Sincerely