My wife and I just returned from a 5-night stay at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort in Puerto Vallarta. This was our first adults-only vacation since our honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas back in 2005, so this was a much-needed getaway. The hotel was VERY nice and the staff was incredible – by far the best service I’ve ever received. The room itself was nice with a fairly simple/modern décor. We were on the 7th floor and had a great view. Every room is ocean-front and has a private balcony.
The hotel location was great – about a 2 mile walk south to the Malecon and a 2 mile walk north to the marina. We walked everywhere we went and felt very safe wherever we went (we did not go out at night however). There are a variety of activities rights there along the beach, including jet-skiing, fishing, para-sailing, etc. I tried para-sailing and the prices are a little cheaper as you walk north towards the marina. They will quote you $45-$50 but I was able to negotiate them down to about $35. We didn’t do any tours or activities through the hotel because we didn’t want to be bound by any time constraints.
We did the all-inclusive option and that made things so much easier by not having to worry about money while we were at the resort. We did exchange US Dollars for Pesos at the front desk of the hotel and would often tip 20-50 pesos, especially if a particular server had been taking care of us for a while.
Since we were all inclusive, we ate most of our meals at the resort. Most breakfast choices were great, my favorites being the omelet and the cinnamon French toast. Lunches were also good except for the hamburger (not sure what the patty was made of but it’s definitely not 100% beef). A few times we would just order their nachos with flank steak and ask for an extra side of chips/guac – soooo good! I’m a little surprised at the so-so reviews of Lucianos because we ate there twice and found the food to be quite delicious (admittedly though, I ordered the Filet both times).
The drinks were great and one of the servers recommended a Cabana (vodka or rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, banana, grenadine, crushed ice), which tasted just like a smoothie (see image) and was very refreshing after a long walk on the beach. They also made several types of margaritas (regular, strawberry, banana, mango), but my favorite was a Cadillac, which includes Grand Marnier. Be careful though because the service is so great, they will often keep the drinks coming and it’s easy to get carried away and drink a little too much!
The only real down-side to the resort was the lack of beach in front of the hotel. It wasn’t a major issue to us, but if we would have had our kids with us, we would have had to go elsewhere for some good beach-time. Fortunately there is a very nice beach about ½ to ¾ miles (10-15min walk) north of the hotel in front of some condos (see image). However, the on-site pools are very nice if you want to cool off and don’t want to worry about the sand.
All in all, this is a fabulous resort. I’m not sure when we’ll be taking our next trip to Mexico (hopefully sooner than 7 years), but if/when we come back to Puerto Vallarta, we’ll definitely stay at Sunset Plaza again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Find the master key to Paradise at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort All Inclusive & Spa. Our suites and rooms are designed with technology and comfort inspirited décor. Each one of these units features an amazing ocean view. Seduce your senses with our exclusive all inclusive plan, Haute cuisine, Premium Drinks, 24-Hour Butler and the most beautiful Puerto Vallarta Sunsets, all in one place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort And Spa
- Sunset Plaza Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta