“Spectacular Sunset Plaza” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
B.C.
“Spectacular Sunset Plaza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

The hotel/resort has ALL ocean facing rooms - we had the luxury of a 2BR unit; one room had a King-sized bed and the other BR had 2 beds (queen or double) and a pullout sofa in the living room. Square footage of the suite was beyond expectations with the balcony off the living room and King-sized BR, spectacular with room for two lounge chairs and a dining table with 4 chairs. The full kitchen was well stocked and THREE bathrooms - making a group of 4 or more guests eternally happy. The master BR has a separate shower and toilet and a soaker jacuzzi tub with opening bi-folds which look out into the bedroom. Bathroom amenities were from Crabtree & Evelyn, hair-dryer, ironing board and electronic safe - all part of the suite. A complimentary assortment of pillows can be selected for your bedrooms and scents for aromatherapy can also be requested from your turndown staff.

Rooms and resort areas were well maintained (I believe this resort is just over a year old?) and the pool area expansive with a smaller separate pool for adults only. Three hot-tubs above the pool area are easily accessible (by staircases).

All staff from check-in to check-out were friendly, responsive and helpful, ranging from porters, concierges, waiters, front desk and cleaning personnel. We decided to do one day of all-inclusive - food at the open air bistro and at Luciano's (open for Italian dinners only on selected nights) were mixed - some dishes better than others; our preference was to take the local bus (6.5 pesos) down to some wonderful restaurants in the old town.

The only drawback to our entire stay was loud music from the neigbouring Plaza Pelicanos club section interrrupting the tranquil setting over the weekends. Guests seemed to be able to go on with enjoying their time despite the dance beats filling the air.

In summary, I would not hesitate to recommend this resort and be lucky to get at least a 1 BR suite in a hight floor - you will have no regrets!

Room Tip: High floor - all rooms are ocean facing.
5 Thank WorldTravellerBC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I am going to write this review and agree/disagree with the previous reviews to help sum up the trip. If you are younger and looking for a party this is not the place for you. However, as a young couple(25) looking to just relax and get away it, it is perfect. The place was quiet but everyone was friendly and always made sure you had anything you wanted. The staff helped us celebrate our anniversary by sending us a cake. Food quality was excellent. Only the matador was open but they moved the Italian food to matador for one night of our stay. Views are excellent. I recommend getting a floor higher than the 5th. If you are a couple the two bed basic room is plenty.

Things you must do at the resort-
1.Kayak for free on the ocean
2.Get a massage- Quality is amazing and you have the option of getting done right on the beach- The cost is about the same as massage envy but so much better
3.Relax in the sun on a comfy bed- These are located by the adult pool and beach. Remember to wake up early to make sure you get your bed.
4. Interact with Alma, Miguel and Marco. They are very friendly and offer incredible service.
5. Take a trip to downtown. It is safe and I would recommend using public transportation one way and walking the other.
6. Ask the bartender for their special drinks and make them as high end as possible

Things to improve-
Butler service- It is very nice but there seems to be a miscommunication sometimes
Remember to order pillows and scents from butler as early as possible during the day.
Drinks are good but inconsistent. Possibly create a drink menu
Remember that all inclusive ends at 12PM they day you check out. They tell this to all the guests but some are still upset the day they leave.

Overall this was a great resort. For the price and service it can't be beat. Four Diamond hotel says it all.

11 Thank Tim D
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Plaza Jan 28-Jan 31. We stayed in a deluxe room, #409. I'll comment on a lot of details, since these seem to be missing from most reviews so I'll break it down by category. :)

LOCATION
Wonderful location. It is about a 15 minute taxi ride from PVR airport. As other reviews have stated, after you go through the second set of customs, walk straight through the remaining 2 rooms. Do NOT look at anybody, eyes down until you get outside. PVR has one of the worst timeshare sellers. They will say they have your ride to your hotel and will give you 'free' tours, etc. Go outside to get a taxi to the hotel. Taxis immediately outside the airport are $17. If you cross the orange pedestrian bridge to the opposite side of the street, the fare will be $10. On our return to the airport, cab fare (called by Sunset Plaza) was $8.

We went down to the Malecon (highly recommended) for an afternoon. We took the city bus for 6.50 pesos (50 cents). It was a 5-minute ride to the Malecon. Beautiful place to view one of the amazing PV sunsets! We ate at Pipi's restaurant for dinner. Definitely not a place for locals but decent margaritas and fajitas. Margaritas are about $8 and fajitas about $15. Split a fajita plate (and maybe a margarita)- they're huge!

HOTEL ROOM
Every hotel room has a great view of the ocean. We stayed in a deluxe room on the 4th floor on the end. We had asked in our reservation (and when we checked in) for a room on a higher floor. Request was denied- this was frustrating as it was obvious the hotel was not full and there were available rooms on higher floors. There are 15 total floors. Floors 2 and 3 are close to the grounds and noisier. Our balcony seemed to amplify sounds so any glasses clinking, dinner music, etc was very loud. On Saturday night, the hotel (Las Palmas) next door had a huge party with extremely loud music. Unfortunately, this went on until 11pm. I was very surprised at the noise level for all the nights we stayed. Maybe the higher floors wouldn't pick up so much noise. Also, we could hear the TV from the people next door. The noise was probably the worst part of our stay- especially since we asked to be on a higher floor.

The deluxe room more than met our needs. It is a decent-sized hotel room with a large balcony. The hotel was built in 2010 so everything is new and modern. There is a little refrigerator with 2 chip varieties and Coca Light, Corona cans, peach/apple juice. Two bottles of water were included with the room every day. More water delivered to the room was extra- just go to the bar to get more bottled water for free. Room service was included except for a 10% surcharge. We did not use room service. The room had 2 robes, 2 slippers, an ironing board and about 10 hangers. A Con-air hairdryer is in the bathroom. Crabtree and Evelyn bath products were nice. Our butler showed us the grounds and our room but that was about it.

FOOD/DRINK
We enjoyed Sunset Plaza's food. As other reviews have stated, you don't get the same food twice! Our favorite foods were: Tostatidas de atun, ceviches, shrimp crown, mexican enchildas, seafood burrito, chicken parmesan and mussels. We got the tostaditas de atun, ceviche and mexican enchildas multiple times, yum! Some of the desserts were not great- the crepes were underdone and the chocolate lava cake had an odd texture. The coconut ice cream is amazing! We ordered the fruit platter every morning at breakfast and enjoyed the fresh fruit. The red snapper was overcooked and the breakfast dishes with eggs (omelets, huevos rancheros) were really runny- i.e. sunnyside up so ask for it cooked more if you like your eggs more done. Many people got burgers around us- not sure why someone would get a burger with all the fresh seafood!

The drinks were probably the best part! Premium liquors were included- Absolut, Bacardi, Malibu, Kahlua, Jose Cuervo, Don Julio, Jack Daniels and Skyy were some of the brands I remember. My husband enjoyed the beers- Negro Modelo, Corona, Modelo Especial. They had 3 house wines which were decent. Jesus made the best Bahama Mamas and Miquel made the best margaritas. If I liked a drink, I made a mental note of who made it as otherwise, it would be different every time! The poolside service was great- staff would walk around every 1/2 hour and get you a drink or food.

HOTEL GROUNDS
Sunset Plaza has 2 pools and 3 hot tubs. There is an infinity pool looking out to the ocean and an adults-only pool with cabanas. There were a few kids at the hotel, mainly well-behaved. The 3 hot tubs were located above the restaurant. Pool staff had to turn them on for you. One thing I liked about this resort is that you can come down later and still get chairs by the pool. We usually came down around 9am each day and always got a cabana in the adults pool or get easily get lounge chairs by the other pool. The beach area is small. It is a mixture of sand and small pebbles. It does have a fairly strong undertow so be careful. Beach vendors are roped off but annoying when they constantly ask you if you want to buy stuff. We mainly stayed by the pool area with a view of the ocean.

Even though the hotel advertises 3 restaurants, there is only one- Mirador (open air restaurant). Luciano was closed (although their menu was at Mirador one night) and the deli was not open. We liked Mirador but usually needed a cardigan as it could get cool at night with the ocean breeze.

The hotel exchanges US dollars to pesos at a rate of 12.5 pesos per dollar. The best exchange rate I saw was 12.75 pesos to dollar so the hotel has a fairly decent exchange rate. Cabs will take US dollars but you get a better rate in pesos.

The hotel had live music during dinner but no other entertainment. They have movies you can check out for free- we rented the King's Speech. Most of them are fairly new releases.

The "vacation club" at the hotel is a time share pitch. We avoided it but saw others getting sucked it. I hear you can get great deals on massages, tours, etc if you're willing to spend 2 hours with them. Up to you but we didn't want to waste our vacation on something we weren't interested in.

Overall, we were happy with Sunset Plaza. This was our second all-inclusive resort and to be honest, I liked the Royal in Cancun better. Food was great in both places. Service was better in Puerto Vallarta (so friendly and attentive) but Cancun was much quieter and had bluer water and skies. PV was pretty with the mountain scenery but often cloudy late afternoon/evening and cool with the ocean breeze. Cancun is definitely more suited for swimming in the ocean as PV has strong currents. If Sunset Plaza had accommodated our request for a higher floor and did something about the noise problem, our stay would have been 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to minimize noise
8 Thank KLPMilwaukee_WI
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

This is not a 4 1/2 star hotel....it's 3 at best.

The resort advertises 2 restaurants, poolside bar, lobby bar and a deli...well the deli was "closed for construction" , of which I couldn't see any, and only 1 restaurant was open the entire 5 days we were there. The food was VERY hit or miss...no quality control! I ordered the same thing for breakfast everyday and it came out different every time...plus rarely did the cooks even bother to get the order correct. Dinner was a complete disappointment. (You know it's bad when the waiters never ask "...and how would you like that prepared?".) The 1st night it was very good and from then on it was horrible! My 2nd evening I sent my fish back because it was cold and over cooked only for the waiter to return with something worse...i remember thinking, hhhmmm I'd rather be eating at Burger King  right now! BOOOO! 3rd night we ordered room service...a club sandwich & a blue cheese burger with bacon....we received 1/2 of a club sandwich & a regular cheese burger, no bacon & American cheese! Needless to say, ourlast night we had an incredible dinner.....off resort grounds!

Although the staff kept  assuring me the bar was open in the lobby, every time I went in there to grab a cocktail they had to send for someone to come pour me the drink....I waited each time approx. 8 mins for the bartender to show up! The poolside bar was NEVER open.

There was room service as well, BUT BEWARE, they forget to tell you there is a delivery service charge for room service that is not included in all inclusive!  I ordered coffee for 2 and 2 Danishes each morning (because the rooms have coffee makers but no coffee or anything to brew in them,) they charged me $10 just to bring it to my room each time! Starbucks is cheaper! Plus I was tipping all week not knowing about this delivery fee! So coffee for 4 days cost me an additional $40! Oh yeah, I was also charged a delivery fee for the 1/2 club sandwich and American cheese burger too!

The gym facilities were rather sad and I found it challenging to keep up with my usual gym routine. There are adequate cardio machines but only a rack of weights from 5-50 lbs. Ps...the gym was packed when 4 or more people were in the small space at 1 time. 1 lady brought her child with her each time she worked out, I enjoyed the little darling STARING at me whilst I crunched and stretched!

The grounds were beautifully kept and designed, and the room was huge with a gorgeous balcony and full ocean view jus as the Expedia deal said it would be. The  staff was extremely friendly &  i kept thinking this isn't their fault, rather the resort hasn't trained them for exceptional customer service.

In the center of the resort there is a huge and wonderful KIDS activity building complete with playground....this is great if u want to travel to P.V. and  be surrounded by children all day....I however, did not. But there is also a small charming pool off to the side for adults only, hidden by shrubbery and full of senior citizens that got there early to claim all the chairs for all day long!

I did have a hot stone massage at the resort's spa and to my surprise she was very good! But the spa is literally 2 rooms -1 for massages & 1 for facials...no sauna nor steam room, no place to relax before or after.

8 Thank Trey G
Peachland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our stay at this hotel was simply wonderful! The staff were friendly and attentive, the pool side service was wonderful and the food delicious. The hotel and rooms are spotless clean and stunning, way beyond my expectation, views are amazing as every room has ocean view.
The music and ambience of the pool and dining area were relaxing and pleasant. All the meals were prepared to order and I enjoyed that there was no "herding at a buffet". It really did feel like you are a guest and what ever you asked was attended to. This was a relaxation getaway for 9 days and our stay was perfect! I would not hesitate to recommend Sunset Plaza.

7 Thank Mozzarati
Scribner, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

"In order to 'set the stage' I first must say that I tried to contact Sunset Plaza Beach Resort via e-mail 3 times with questions regarding our stay @ their resort ( they acknowledged receipt of the e-mails). NO REPLY>so upon arrival I already was frustrated. Check-in was delayed due to multiple check-ins; however we were placed outside (resort side), given our champagne and then forgotten. Not really a big deal but added to our frustration. Standard room was a 'hotel' room with wonderful floors, great bath (shower exhilarating) and fabulous extra large balcony. Next issue was the smoking from the adjacent room--on the balcony and with our doors open to enjoy the waves we had the smoke in our room--needless to say we were unhappy since the hotel is a 'non-smoking' facility. It took till the next day to get this issue resolved--by moving us to another room.---'Yes we had to move, not the smokers' (I understood that the smokers were charged $500 for violating the no-smoking policy)! This also meant that the people we were traveling with had to be moved. The 'Butler' manager offered us help to move--2 butlers for each room. Our butlers decided to tell the bellboy to help me and they disappeared--too lazy to help a guest and outright insubordination. I ended up having to repack everything and do the move which should have been handled by the 'butler'. Turn down service and pillow menu a nice touch. In my opinion the 'butler' service is just a 'glorified request service' just like you would expect to receive @ a hotel. The bellboy delivered the luggage and the maids took care of the room and turn down service. I will say that one butler helped me the day I had the flu and stayed in our room--thank you. The 'Butler' service was confined to the rooms. The rest of the service was provided by waiters, bellboys, towel service and grounds keepers. In reference to one of my questions was the confusion many other reviewers have stated about whether or not there is a buffet. NO BUFFET, menus the same each day for both restaurants (Tues-Thurs-maybe Sat? for the Italian one). The third 'deli' food place has not yet opened. Basically you eat every meal @ the same restaurant. The web-site does state that there is a buffet and I pointed that out to them. No buffet but our dining experience was amazing---waiters were able to have prepared for us meals 'our' way if we did not order from the menu .Quality fresh food and premium drinks---can't go wrong. Grounds were immaculate and nice warm pools. Great that the 'sun beds' on the beach came with the all-inclusive package. Speaking of 'all-inclusive' the tips are not included as in other resorts. No presssure to do the 'time share' thing and the usual tour service one finds at a resort. Presently I consider Sunset Plaza to be a 'hotel'--not a 'resort'. There is no evening entertainment as you find @ a resort. Grounds are small but adequate for the 112 rooms they serve. I 'heard' that the owners have plans to tear down the 2 adjacent resorts now in operation and build facilities such as Sunset Plaza in their place. If this happens it will be a wonderful expansive resort. It however is located in a 'dirty' part of Puerto Vallarta---surroundings are pure city. Sunset Plaza is located to the center of the bay and gets direct ocean currents---not the more soothing waves in other parts of the bay that are more secluded. All in all I believe that Sunset Plaza strives to be an upper end 'resort' but it is just a hotel with great decor and fabulous dining."

Room Tip: Go for the suite if you want any luxury---the rooms are just that---hotel rooms.
1 Thank Paulloras
Truckee, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

We just returned from this hotel and I would never recommend it to a friend. It is new and there are a lot of new people not only new to the hotel but new to the hospitality industry. We were dissapointed in the room, the air was not working and there were no less than 6 different people working on the problem from 5 pm till 2 am with no solution. The second night they finally agreed there was a problem and moved us. The manager Renee was hard to reason with. Then there were these crazy over promises. Again Renee, after a bad experience in their top restaurant, promised a gourmet meal with two waiters on our last night. We arrived at the agreed time 8:30, no one had our reservation or information, at 9:15 still no one had it figured out. The manager on duty actually told us to just leave there was no way this dinner would meet our expectations...Nice...Then the manager on duty agreed to take care of a few things on our bill and sent us on our way. That didn't happen either..All I have to say about this place is you get what you pay for. It was not worth wasting our precious vacation time!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
11 Thank Esmeralda N