“WOW!!!”

Ranked #6 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Montreal, Canada
“WOW!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

From the first day we arrive to the last minute we left we were treated like a king and queen. Staff is amazing, we miss u all. We hope to see you soon. Service, food, room, pools, everything was perfect. We even release little baby turtles on the beach.

Very easy to go to town by taxi (50 pesos), bus(less than 20 pesos for 2), walk (20 minutes).

We booked the trip after we saw the great comments on TripAdvisor. We can confirm that the good rate is 100% true. We booked an all-inclusive one week trip and enjoyed it a lot.

Special thanks to : Alma (thanks for your smile... papito popote lol), Max (it was his first week as a pool boy, and he was great!), Heriberto ; ) , Marco-Antonio (Bonsoir, voulez-vous des takitos), Roberto and Lorena.

Go there if you want to enjoy a little piece of paradise.

Mateo and Isabelle

Room Tip: Suite Room is worth the extra money. Fantastic room and huge balcony to enjoy sunsets every night.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Isabelle914
Lorena23738, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager and the staff, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa trough TripAdvisor.

Thank you!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Polish first
Sardis BC
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have stayed at quite a few different resorts in PV since the late 1970s - staying at different levels of hotels.

This place was super deluxe and worth the extra expense for what you get.
The pools are wonderful. We mostly hung out at the adult pool - which had the four poster beds. The pool guys would make their rounds regularily as did the waiters to tend to every wish, whether it be food, drink, extra towels etc. No towel cards to keep track of here!

We were in a one bedroom kitchen unit which was deluxe. I would reserve the one bedroom at the time of booking because upgrading once you arrive is much more expensive. Believe me, it is worth the little bit extra for the massive balcony and extra space! ( you can nude sunbathe on your lanai if you wanted!) We had 2 bathrooms and a walk-in closet. The bath products are Crabtree & Evelyn - very nice! Loved the turndown service, the pillow menu and the nightly scent choice!

The food is excellent. I don't miss the buffets - instead, you get portions that are more reasonable, food that is FRESH and delicious and believe me - it is more than enough! Some people have mentioned that there is only one restaurant, but with the varying menus each day, I didn't miss that in the least! There is more than enough choices every day - done to perfection. The filet mignon and the shrimp crown are two of my menu favorites. If you don't see what you like, you can order special. The chefs are very obliging! Honestly, we never got tired of the menu choice!

The drinks are excellent! You can ask for premium alcohol no extra charge. The variety of drinks is enormous, and you can ask for anything, even if it's not on the menu. Ask for their frozen Mango drink - it's not on the menu - but it's delicious!.

The Room service is excellent. The housekeepers are pleasant and efficient and very honest. One time I left our safe wide open by mistake - all was in order. We had left our laptops, cameras and money out. Everyone is so honest. I saw a waitress run after a customer to return a forgotten purse.

The butlers catered to our every whim and request....even set up a bubble bath in the Jacuzzi on our last night and brought up a bowl of fruit to our room - declining a tip.

We were really made to feel special. I would suggest, if you have any improvement suggestions, let them know right away. They really are trying to make this a top-notch place and are open to anything you might see that could improve the place or the service!

We loved the free mini massage out at the pool...which encouraged me to try their spa - facial and body massage. It is well worth it, but if you don't want to spend the $, if you go out the entrance to the right - there is a spa that offers inexpensive massages for $35....I can't vouch for them though.

One thing I would recommend is tipping even though the all-inclusives suggest it's included. It means a lot to the workers - and they do work very hard to please!

There was a mixup about the golf - BookIt.com said it was included, whereas the hotel said it was included only if bookings made with the hotel itself, but they still honored our reservation, no problem. Be sure to bring all paperwork with you for verification as to what is included. My husband managed to golf $1000 worth on PGA courses. Yes you have to pay for your transportation there and the golf cart rental, but it's still a steal!

I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor and the 8th floor - both very good. The one bedroom unit gives a more broa...
4 Thank kahlua55
Lorena23738, General Manager Assistant at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Our commitment is to provide the highest quality and your comment help us to improve our excellence in service.

Pine Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I traded through RCI to stay at Sunset Plaza for 10/1-10/8/11. The rooms were gorgeous as well as the rest of the hotel. This was my third time in Puerto Vallarta and are familiar with the area and took the buses into town to eat and sight see. We did not do the all inclusive. The wait staff was kind and attentive and the maid did a wonderful job in our room all week! I have two gripes. There was alot of confusion at the pool with our bills. We had other peoples items on our bill two days in a row. They also need to put a price list at the pool for non all inclusive people. My second gripe was the rudeness of the security staff when we were enjoying the pool in the evening. We had no idea the pool closed at a certain time. It was not posted anywhere. We exited immediately per his request. Overall it was a good vacation we met alot of nice people there. I probably would not stay there again if going back to Puerto Vallarta.

2 Thank jackierf67
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate all the feedback which help us to improve the service, we are taking corrective actions relate security and food & beverage department.

Hoping to have the honor to see you again in a near future in order to show you the improvements thanks your comments.

Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We just returned from a one week stay at the Sunset Plaza. We have been to Puerto Vallarta twice before, but this is the first time we have stayed at the Sunset. We definitely will be going back. We travel on four major vacations a year and the SP is one of the nicest places we have stayed. Of course it is only one year old, so everything is still very new. But more than that, the staff is wonderful. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel as if we were the only guests. Every staff member knew our names and, without being obtrusive, would check with us to see if we needed any type of service.

We generally stay in condos when we travel and normally we do not get turn down service at condos. However, this service is provided nightly at SP. Not only do they turn down, but they mist the room and your sheets with a scent of your selection.

The facilities were impeccably clean and the maid was always very polite and helpful. We tend to cook most of our meals and it is close to a local grocery store that is very reasonable. The kitchen is set up very efficiently. Our only complaint is that there is not an oven. There is a microwave and electric stove top. We stayed in a one bedroom this time and there are two full bathrooms.

All of the condos overlook the ocean and the pools. You couldn't ask for a prettier view. The sunsets are unbelievable.

This time we chose to just relax around the resort and walk into town a few times. However, other trips we have experienced a number of adventures ie., swimming with the dolphins, zip-lining etc. The exchange rate pesos for dollars is great right now.

2 Thank Ed O
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa trough TripAdvisor.

Hoping to have the honor to see you again in a near future.

Receive our sincere greetings!!!
Toronto
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Needless to say my family of 4 had a great time. We had the 1 bedroom suite and it worked well for us. I brought my own kettle to boil the baby's water and had no problems getting bottled water or anything else we requested.
You have a butler who took care of everything you needed (Ivan and Aaron were wonderful), restaurant staff always ready to serve (Lorena and the rest of the morning staff were great), cleaning crew did a wonderful job and the kids club was just fully equipped with everything. My daughters were the only kids at the whole resort and my eldest (she's 4) didn't want to leave. It was also at the centre of the hotel so you can see what she was doing at all times.

As mentioned food here incredible, it's like going for fine dining everyday and night.

Don't bother looking for anything exciting to do because there isn't any at the hotel except for relaxation and rest.

They had the turtle release 2 nights in a row and my daughter was able to release her baby turtle. It was such a priceless moment for all of us.

If you have any questions about this resort please email me. Overall can't wait to come back. My vacation expectation has reached a new standard which I doubt would be hard to beat after this! Already recommending to all my friends!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Filcan101

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We just returned from a week (all-inclusive) at the Sunset Plaza and we had a wonderful time. We picked this resort because of all the great reviews on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. Now that we have been to this resort we would definitely consider returning. The facility was clean, modern and had great views. And above all, the service was excellent!

The rooms are just as they show on the website. The only downfall related to the room/amenities was that they would only leave a very specific selection of beverages in your mini-bar without charging you extra. We are accustomed to all-inclusives where we can request extra water or certain sodas. To get more than one bottle of water each per person per day (without getting charged extra for it) we had to go down to the pool bar to order a bottle. Definitely not a big deal, but something to keep in mind if you are traveling there. Our butler was kind enough to explain this to us at check in; I am not sure if all butlers would.

We were very pleased with the quality of food at this resort. I was a bit worried that with only having a sit-down meal option and no buffets that I would grow bored with the food. Not at all. I do have to note that the Italian night menu was not as good as the regular Mirador menu, but it was still all very good. The beef that they served was much better than I expected based on my past experiences with beef in Mexican resorts. I guess I should note that I ordered a chicken sandwich for lunch 4 of the days I was there and only got the same sandwich twice. I personally find it amusing to see what interpretation of food I get from the kitchen each day, but for people that want consistancy or are picky eaters this could be annoying.

Finally, the best advice we received before traveling was to walk as quickly as possible though the last two rooms of the Puerto Vallarta airport until you get to the outside doors. Do not make eye contact or believe any of the time-share people that say they have your transportation. Then if you didn't already have arranged transportation (which you really don't need) you can use the bridge to cross over the road and get a taxi for half the cost of the the taxis at the airport. I think we paid about $10 total for the trip to the hotel. When we got to the hotel they assumed we had been to P.V. before because we didn't arrive in one of the expensive taxis.

Room Tip: We chose the economical room with two queen beds and had more than enough space for the two of us. F...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank siggy0516

Blackwood,NJ
Reviewed November 3, 2011

At check in we were greeted with cool washcloths and chilled champagne. Check in was speedy and efficient. We then were taken to our room by our personal butler Julio, there we were
given our luggage and asked if we would like for him to unpack for us he showed us our rooms(we had a 2 bdrm 3 bath suite) the rooms were beautiful with matching views of the pool and Banderas Bay). We also were given a menu for pillows and scents for both our rooms and linens. The housekeeping staff kept the room immaculately clean, and also would return in the evening to turn down our beds. We also were asked if we told them what time we were expected to return they would run our bath in our personal jacuzzi. We have stayed at many different places and resorts and have never had service like this(this also includes the 4 Seasons and the Ritz). Let us also mention we had breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks at the
pool restaurant and it was very good. We used Vallarta tours for 2 excursions Signature swim with dolphins (best anywhere) and Rhythms of the Night Show (do not miss). I can't wait to return to this destination.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Papperts
Dear Guest,

Hoping to have the honor to see you again in a near future.

Receive our sincere greetings!!!