“Colourful and friendly, but don't get a courtyard room!”

Catedral Vallarta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #55 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had a good 3-night stay here and loved the decor and the size of our corner room (named 'quizás quizás quizás'). But - and there is a big but if this matters to you - it is not quiet at all: in the rooms facing the courtyard you hear other guests' comings and goings and for rooms facing the street, you hear traffic and shouting on Hidalgo. Glass screens are thin and the building is a little old in general. We couldn't get wifi in our room at all, but just 3 metres from our door it was fine, which was frustrating. The hot water takes 20 mins to come (!) out of a weak shower and the bathroom is in desperate need of refurbishment. Their 'beach club' is 15 mins walk away, even through the actual beach is 100 metres away.
However, the service here is very friendly and staff are extremely helpful. Get the right room, at a good rate (under $60) and this could work for you.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank DelusionaryVisionary

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We arrived late due to a flight delay and realized that I had just left my wallet in the cab at 11pm. The staff was so helpful in assisting me with using the phone and the internet that night. They then contacted the multiple taxi companies that work out of the airport and started to track it down. Much to my surprise the general manager Carlos contacted me the next day and said we have your wallet in the hotel safe. What a relief to find all of my cash, credit cards, and ID still there. The staff is so nice and helpful. We have visited Mexico many times and we look forward to coming back to PV and staying in the Hotel Catedral. The historic building, the artwork, the location, the staff, all great!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Endless_Summer2014
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 day stay at Hotel Cathedral - I've been coming to PV area annually for over 15 years and lately have included stays in town after my timeshare periods. I was impressed by the staff's willingness to help (I had a couple of odd requests), give local (as distinguished from "tourist") restaurant suggestions, the cleaning of the rooms (some nice touches - e.g. "wrapping"/ organizing of my computer charge cords). While a single, I upgraded to a double room with a balcony for more light / air. Nice to have morning tea/ coffee and cookies in the peaceful courtyard.

Room Tip: suggest a balcony room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andy L
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This charming hotel is in a fanastic location. Just a short walk to anywhere you want to go (Malecon, beach, Romantic Zone, flea market, etc). There is a great candy store right across the street on the corner that sells Mexican vanilla fudge and candy-coated nuts to die for. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. They recommended a fantasic traditional restaurant (El Campanario) that is about 2 blocks away across from the school next to the cathedral on Hidalgo. Go there - you will not be disappointed! As far as the hotel itself goes, it is very clean and nicely decorated. The actual hotel is old and cannot be compared to typcial American hotels. The best part is the rooftop terrace that overlooks the city. Our room (Gloria Eres Tu) faced Hidalgo and was quiet except for the cathedral bells that rang often from 6am-10pm. We were there during the Our Lady Guadalupe Festival (which was a lot of fun with street festivals and parades), but did not hear any of the festival noise from our room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Amy A
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I can't wait until I can go back to Puerto Vallarta...and to the Hotel Catedral. I didn't know what to expect when I arrived in Vallarta since my friend did all of the research and made the travel / hotel arrangements. With my budget, I wasn't expecting to be so pleased by the quaint, charming facility, with its open air lobby and the roof top patio... located right downtown. However, my most positive and lasting impression was because of the gracious and helpful staff. I probably ask for and expect more assistance from hotel staff more than the average traveler. This was compounded by the fact that I don't speak Spanish! The staff was very accommodating. They helped me plan bus itineraries, coordinated schedules and translated telephone calls. I was able, with their help, to easily pack a great many experiences into a few days. I recommend this little jewel and can't wait to go back. Hotel Catedral was a great find.
Kathy D.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy D
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Catedral for more than 3 weeks. The hotel is located in the center of Puerto Vallarta and we could walk everywhere. The rooms are nice and very clean. The staff is super friendly and very helpful, they got us everthing we needed (even free tickets for a show in the theatre).
They dont have an own restaurant, but its no problem because you are situated in the cente with lots of restaurant. In the mornig there is a room with books, coffe, a good choice of teas and cookies..
We had a great time and we can only recommend this nice hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Kate92644
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I totally can recommend this hotel, awesome service, very clean, perfect located and fair price.
We were 4 german students and loved to stay in this hotel