“Love this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Francisco, CA
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

I have to say I had such a good time at Lindo Mar! The people at the resort couldn't be any nicer, I thought they were incredible! Everyone tries to talk to you to say welcome and are you enjoying your stay? My maid was so nice, what a wonderful lady.
The room was a little old but way nice, and everything was cleaned daily. No cleanliness issues! The room had hand carved Mexican furniture, and pretty tile, I thought it was charming. I loved that there was a full kitchen and dining room! Plenty of room for 2 people (you could have 2 couples no problem). The beach was beautiful, the pool great! The people I talked to had been coming for years, and they loved it, they didn't think you could do better. Everyone lines up at happy hour for cocktails, it's funny!
I don't agree with the negative reviews, if you want hi tech resort you should be in town not at the Lindo Mar! Also, if you are single this place could be lonely for you as there are so many couples here. And it's not wild young people, an older clientele I would say.
This is a charming resort that has been around, it has an old fashion feel to it that appeals to me, but I would rather have a place that has some history to it, I don't like cold modern. The restaurant is delicious! The specials of the day were always really good, and the brunch buffet on the weekend is fantastic!
I really enjoyed and would come again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank smsincalif

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Lynden, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

After reading all the great reviews, I was excited about staying here. There is a some good regarding this property. BUT, there is some bad and I wish I had known it first.
Stayed for 7 nights...it was enough.
My biggest complaint is the food and drinks there. I ate 3 times at the property...breakfast...lunch...dinner. All 3 meals...totally sucked. How people can say the food is good, is beyond me. PV has so many places to eat, and I have tried many...most are awesome. This is by far, the worst food I have experienced in PV. All 3 meals...not just one. I ordered a Pina Coloda...$7..way over priced...and it was disgusting. The beer was fine...it was the only thing I ever had there that was good. But...how can you screw a bottle of beer up? I bring this up, because people have said the food is great. I had planned on hanging at the property much more...eating and drinking there. With the food being so lousy, I found myself going to town to either buy groceries and cook my own everyday, or to eat somewhere acceptable. I assure you....because of the location, this is a pain in the butt!!! Getting to and from town is expensive after a while using a taxi. The bus stop is a 2 block walk...and about a 10 minute wait...if you can get on the bus. Many times, there was no room when the bus finally arrived. I waited for a bus up to 30 minutes numerous times early in the day. It truly sucked. This is not the kind of place where you really want to run to town everyday...so make sure you want to wait for a bus forever possibly, or pay a small fortune in cab fare by the time your trip is over if you think it is no big deal.
The room itself was very nice...but needed attention. Floor tiles were chipped badly, and the air conditioning never did cool the room down enough. I complained, and they said it was fixed the best they could. Not good enough folks.
They charge for using the internet there at the property...they will tell you this when you check in....and every single stinking time you ask to use it. You would think after a week of them seeing and knowing you...and telling you every day there is a fee...they would figure out you already know this!! But no....!! That was amazingly irritating...more so how they would say it.
The beach is very nice...never saw it dirty once. BUT...I never saw where anyone mentioned that the sun does not even begin to hit it until noon?? Same thing at the pool. Forget about laying out here early...you can't! The sun hit the closest available spot at the pool at 12:25pm. I am used to starting at 10am. This so sucked!!!!! And the tide was so high on the beach...that you could not access the beach until noon anyway when it had dropped. The ocean access...tiny! There are 2 areas to just stand and bob in the waves....there is no room to swim..regardless of what anyone says on here. Get 3 people in either section at the same time...it is full. Beautiful beach and ocean...pretty much unusable to be honest. I sat and watched others staying there simply use the ocean to go relieve themselves of all the drinks they were consuming. I was rather disgusted. Same thing occurred at the pool. People were to lazy to walk to the restrooms.
They would lay or sit all afternoon...never getting up to do anything but walk in the ocean or pool. This...after consuming who knows how many drinks! You figure out what they are doing rather easily at that point.
While there, they decided to tear the floors out of some of the rooms....tile floors that had to be removed by hammer and chisel....right beside the pool ground level. You cannot imagine the noise that made....hammering on tiles in an room with the doors wise open...10 feet from the pool. Unacceptable in my opinion. The pool was unuasable because of the noise for 2 days. I have no idea how anyone was able to stick around. I had to leave for both days and do other things until they were done hammering!!! Only to have to hear the cutting of tiles then begin!!!! The only real quality this place had...was it's location and the peace and quiet to be had because of that. To then have that destroyed because of lack of consideration to at least shut the doors to these rooms being worked on...is totally unacceptable again.
There were other things...but I am not even going there.

The good points...there were a few. The cleaning staff....outstanding!!!!! Never had to wait more than 1 minute for the elevator. The views from the room.......like none other...simply amazing!!!! The rooms...other than smelling musty for the first 2 days...were very nice. Huge bathtubs...HUGE!! Large separate bedrooms. Stove...oven...utensils and such. Fridge.....and free bottled water.
The fact the rooms open up to the weather...very cool!! Even though I actually never used this feature...because the damn air conditioning could not even cool the room down with the doors closed and blocked from the sun. Everytime I stepped out...it would take an hour to cool down the room to 70 again.
This was my experience the first week in October 2009. This is NOT a place to bring kids...I cannot think of a worse place actually. I will not return because it was simply to big a pain to run to town everyday to get something decent to eat. Simply was not worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank kengaroo
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

We travelled here for a week with our two young children (2 and 5). The hotel is great -- rustic yet very clean and nice (I am really picky about hotels!) The restaurant is very good with fabulous margaritas. The location is also great -- away from the busy city center, yet very accessible. It was also so nice to have a full kitchen -- really a must when traveling with kids. Despite this, I would not go back to this hotel, especially with kids. The staff was really very unfriendly and not at all accommodating. After the second day, it rained all week long. We were stuck inside, and the pool was too cold to use (not heated). We took the kids into the jacuzzi to play (no other guests were there to bother) and we were told in no uncertain terms (READ rudely told) that we could not go in with kids. We were banned the entire week. (Our kids our normal kids -- not wild with behavior issues). Perhaps they discourage families from visiting, but it is set up as a family hotel, and is a time share property. In sum, a great place but needs some significant improvement in service.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Catale1234
Orange County California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have stayed at Lindo Mar three times and just got back two weeks ago from a one week stay. This is a time share hotel, with no pressue and my wife and I just rent a room when it becomes avaliable. We rented the two bedroom penthouse 1650 SQT on the top floor. This is a very small older hotel with a lot of old mexican charm. Food at the resturant is good. The beach is small but good for a snokle or to cool off. They keep this hotel very clean inside and the staff is helpfull but not overly so. The cons I have with this hotel are these. With the beach being very small they should not allow locals or or offer a beach membership so that locals can go to this beach. I have nothing against the locals there as everyone is very nice. But a local at this beach means a husband and wife, three cousins, 4 kids and a grandma. This beach is far to small and it takes away from the relaxsation of people visiting to get away from crowds. There is also to much trash left out on the beach in the mornings. To many of the staff members stand around and are not offering thier service or staying on top of things. I will visit this hotel again because the price for renting is very resonable, but in 10 years time I dont believe this hotel will have the charm it still holds now. There would have to be many upgrades to the rooms to keep it going. At the moment it still makes the grade but wont last.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank ChrisSchaffner
Ozark, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We are planning on returning in May '09. This will be our fourth year here. Each trip is just as memorable and wonderful as the first one was. We are coming with a total of 13 people this next time, all family. It has become our 2nd favorite place in the world. (1st would be home) You cannot say enough about the wonderful staff. And we always look forward to Toby and his wife making our childeren a new bracelet each year. During our one week stays, we only go into town one evening. The rest are spent here, all day, all night. It is too comfortable. We've done all of the tours before and now we just enjoy this wonderful paradise as much as possible. We will see you all the last week of May this year.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank 417CJones
Mt. View AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

This was our first trip to Mexico and we were extremely fortunate to trade our Hawaii timeshare for a week at the Lindo Mar. Absolutely everything was wonderful. The unit was comfortable and clean, the staff was extremely helpful and accomodating, and the view was terrific -- and included watching whales 3 times during our week. We thought the restaurant was very good and very reasonable and we really liked being able to walk just a few freet from our unit. We stayed in a ground floor unit and felt very safe leaving our lanai door open at night. We had checked with security and were told they patrolled constatntly -- and we had noticed that was the case during the day.

One of the things that made our entire stay so pleasant was the information we got on the forum here on Trip Adviser. Folks were very helpful in providing very specific advice and I really felt like I knew exactly what to expect. We had never been to Mexico so that was a big plus.

The timeshare 'sell' with Javier was very low key -- that obviously works as we wound up buying a week also. The prices were better than our Hawaii timeshare and we look forward to returning next year and bringing friends and/or family along to share our experience.

We only had a couple of negatives - neither of which decreased our enjoyment. The kitchen, although well-stocked, was very dated and had very cheap kitchen tools. I actually made a list of what I would bring from our kitchen next year. And, there is noWiFi available. There are several computers in the lobby area to use but there was sometimes a wait. Other than that -- it was perfect!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lhclemns
sebastopol, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

Each and every day (one week) we stepped outside our condo there were people quietly cleaning and fussing about in order to make sure that Lindo Mar is spotless. We go to a warm resort each February and this is the cleanest and most well stocked one yet. Not just a roll of paper towels... an extra one beside it. Tons of coffee filters. etc.

The pool is smallish. The hot tub is infinity-style, with a perfect view of the ocean. The beach is very small, but there are larger ones if you want to walk 4 minutes. We just stayed put. Beach towels supplied.

Many people there seemed to know each other, and to know the staff. It was nice to see the friendships going on. The restaurant was good, not great, but the prices were very reasonable and it had the same fab view as all of the condos. (all are ocean front.)

The bus stops just up the street (but will let you off at the door if they are in the mood) so we rode up and down the coast and into town easily. Also, there is a 7-eleven type store about 3 minutes walk down the road-- good for late-night food runs.

I need to say that , because all the rooms are ocean front and the pool is ocean front, you can hear people at the pool sometimes. (maybe not from the higher rooms... but the higher rooms would have more traffic noise in the bedrooms, which are highway side. almost no noise on lower floor bedrooms.) We thought that would bother us at first, but it was fine. Also, there are very few under-60's and fewer under-50's staying there. Just informational.

We did not like that you can't reserve a certain room. Since it's really a timeshare, you take the room they give you. We requested to be high up, and not at pool level. We got 2nd floor... but again, it was fine. We may not stay there again, though we LOVED the place, because we are not willing to risk getting a ground-floor room. (we like to leave our lanai doors open at night.)

We loved the happy hour 2-for-1 drinks (they let us share, unlike some places) and always looked forward to hearing the bell at noon and at 5. We loved the view, the hot tub, the big living room and comforts. We pretty much didn't leave the place for a week!!
Just too relaxing.