“Luxurious bliss, 5 star customer service in beautiful Puerto Vallarta”

Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences
Ranked #10 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Antonio, Texas
“Luxurious bliss, 5 star customer service in beautiful Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We love staying in Puerto Vallarta, having been there many times. Our preference is south of downtown, where the mountains meet the sea. You cannot be much closer to downtown and in the mountains than at the Grand Miramar. It is very close to downtown and can be seen even from Los Muertos beach. We used the shuttle to go back and forth to town often, as well as taxis. The taxis were inexpensive at around 70 pesos. The hotel shuttle was great, but tended to get crowded....so I would think this could be an issue when the hotel is running at full occupancy.

The rooms were huge and outfitted very nicely. Everything was kept clean, neat, and we always felt that the staff cared about us and the property. We were never accosted by timeshare sales people, although one nice lady gave us an orientation to the hotel and the all inclusive plan, and offered us a timeshare presentation, which we declined and that was that. I cannot say enough about the staff - they treated us with respect and the utmost humility and politeness. We looked forward to our interactions with them and to seeing them each day. They were always helpful when we needed assistance and everyone of them spoke english very well, although I gave my spanish a try now and then.

The pools were great! We spent the most time the adults only pool on the 10th floor. yes it closes somewhat early, but the Sky Bar and Restaurant are on that floor, and nobody needs a bunch or drunk screaming gringos yelling, splashing, and demanding drinks in the middle of a romantic (and extremely tasty) dinner.

So that brings up the food. I cannot say enough good things about the food!!! It was incredible and I missed immediately upon leaving, even after a week of it. We were on the all inclusive and we ate like kings. We stayed away from the buffet and ate a la carte - any veteran traveler and foodie knows to do this, plus we did not have to please children's palates. We always ate at the Sky Bar for breakfast and it was incredible!!!! Loved every dish. Breakfast would be very affordable if paying, say about 80 pesos plus drinks, etc. We ate lunch at the lobby, bar, Sky pool, and the main pool. The main pool and lobby bar have more standard US type fair - hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. most of which was just fine. But we gravitated towards lunch an dinner at the Sky Bar, whole food was high class, with beautiful presentation, delicious flavors, and lots of choices. The menu there flipped between two menus every other night, with lots of great choices. See my pics to get an idea! Yes dinner might be roughly $20 US, but hey jack, you will not find better food for $20 at most US restaurants, and this is a very nice hotel. A US hotel would charge more. I would say just go all inclusive and then you don't have to worry.

If you love Mexico, love Puerto Vallarta, want a luxurious vacation, but don't want to be stuck 15 miles from downtown at some mega disney-esque resort, then I would highly recommend you consider the Grand Miramar. And remember, the hotel shuttle can take you to the Blue Shrimp or the Mantamar beach clubs. Blue Shrimp had the best seafood! Matamar is a nicer beach area and has a pool, showers etc. And remember to get your all inclusive vouchers for them at the Grand Miramar front desk before leaving, and you will be able to eat and drink plenty as part of your package, right on the beach.

Room Tip: For the most expansive bay views, choose higher up. While the room we saw on level 3 was gorgeous a...
5 Thank Steve Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Miramar July 20 through July 27 with a reduced rate voucher from Groupon. Prior to arriving we upgraded to a master suite ($80 extra per night) and requested a corner suite as high up in the building as possible. Happily, upon arrival we were taken to our corner suite on the 8th floor(809) and, believe me, the view IS extraordinary. The room was huge, very modern and tastefully furnished with marble floors, granite kitchen counter tops, and a huge walk in shower. Our amazing balcony contained a jacuzzi from which we could truly enjoy the panorama of Puerto Vallarta. Upgrade if you can - having the jacuzzi and extra space is so worth it.

Much has been said about the unpleasant timeshare presentations at the Grand Miramar. I can tell you that no one approached us during our entire seven day stay, for which we were extremely thankful.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We were on the all inclusive plan and took all of our meals there. The food at the Sky Restaurant was artfully prepared but sometimes fell short in the taste department. The food is generally good (with one noteable exception at the pool restaurant where the calamari we ordered looked and tasted like fried, flour covered rubber bands - absolutely unedible), but I honestly could not classify the food as GREAT so if you are a foodie you might want to take advantage of all the terrific restaurant opportunities that await you in Puerto Vallarta. Also the menus don't change that much and the food can get a little repititious after four days.

This hotel is on the hill and not on the beach. Scheduled shuttle service is available to their beach club and they generously provide a daily 700 pesos credit (all inclusive plan only) at the Blue Shrimp Restaurant to cover food and drinks. The restaurant is pretty good and the beach is loaded with locals trying to sell their wares.

Taxis into the romantic zone run about $6 each way, so if their shuttle times don't appeal to you, it won't break the bank to take taxis.

To sum it up, we enjoyed our time here and feel it is worth the money, but probably won't go back. If you are not a beach person, but want lovely rooms with SPECTACULAR views and friendly and good service, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a master suite for sure. Bigger space and a terrific jacuzzi on your balcony. Also, req...
3 Thank jessueSantaRosaCA
Wilton Manors, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2014

When I decided to go to Puerto Varllarta, Mexico I went on Hotline and Priceline to check on what would be available in the area I wanted to stay. I then as always looked at the star rating's on Hotels.com to see what places in those areas fit the 4 star rating that I was interested in. So when I looked at the Hotwire hotels in that category as you know know they don't tell you what place you would be getting until after you place your order. I ended up with getting Grand Miramar Hotel (actually it's a timeshare). Being a timeshare the room we had was bigger then a normal hotel room, and although they said we had been upgraded I don't really believe it was as it was a lock off side of a timeshare which mean's it doesn't have the separate living room from the bedroom, but serves as the 2nd bedroom.

I got the impression from what they say on their website that you are close to many things.. I guess if you stretched your imagination they would be right. It is in fact on top of a small mountain overlooking the bay and not close to the beach. Although they have a limited shuttle service to those areas, you can not walk from this hotel to restaurants, or the beach and you have to take either their schedule that ends early each day or a taxi, which are cheap. But if you want a place that is on the beach this is not for you. But trust me the views and the pools and the facilities are outstanding and if you want a very high view of the harbor and the area then you will truly like this place.

I would recommend this to anyone as you will find the staff more then helpful and friendly.. one suggestion stay away from the rooms across from the 2 small elevators they have available because the staff and guests have not learned that there are people probably resting and talk loud and drop trays and glasses on a regular basis, both very early in the mornings and late at night.

Overall I really enjoyed this place, but don't be deceived in thinking you can walk anywhere to get into the city you can't.

Room Tip: One suggestion stay away from the rooms across from the 2 small elevators they have available becaus...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ed R
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We purchased this trip with a living social deal with another couple and had an extraordinary time. Would definitely go back and bring our family. The rooms are very clean and amazingly large, the views are breathtaking and the service was impeccable. We saw many families, but there were places that were reserved for adults only, which we really appreciated. There is even an adult pool with bar and food service. We would also recommend the excursions we went on - The Las Caletas beach hideaway and the Rhythm of the Nights - again, we all said we would do those again because we had so much fun. We went into town and walked along the boardwalk and really enjoyed the people and the culture.

Room Tip: Would probably have enjoyed a higher floor. We were on 2 and could hear kids at the pool.
1 Thank Michellehaider
Brenda M, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences, responded to this review, December 13, 2014
Grand Miramar appreciate your comments and your decision to stay with us.We hope see you soon ¡ Happy Holidays!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We are actually in the middle of our stay here. It did feel very salesy when we first got here, but we just told them we weren't interested and they didn't push too hard. Our "room" is amazing. We reserved a 2 rm suite for me, my wife and our two kids (9 and 11) and we got what must be a 1,500 sq ft condo with a full kitchen. And we are NOT time share guests. The service is incredible. Everyone is very nice, very helpful and genuinely appreciative that we are here, whether you speak to them in Spanish or English. It has a decent little gym and several pools. And the views are incredible. I can't imagine better views in all of Puerto Vallarta.

The only negative is that it is a bit far from everything. It's up on a pretty high, steep hill and the walk down to town would be very tough. So we have taken a lot of taxis (50-70 pesos per ride). The hotel offers a shuttle down to the beach every hour. But it's only convenient if you time it right. The food at the hotel has been just ok (we haven't eaten at the very nice restaurant here yet). But it gives us an excuse to go explore the town to find places to eat.

Overall, a great experience for the whole family.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I absolutely recommend this hotel. It seems that the bad reviews come from time share presentations. Thankfully, I was not even offered and was able to avoid it. I purchased this through groupon for a mini getaway vacation with my boyfriend. It is a little off the main downtown area, but for very good reasons. We had a junior suite at the 7th floor and the view was stunning. The hotel was very well maintained with spectacular service. Food and drinks were delicious (usually all-inclusive food is okay but it was delicious here!) and everyone was very friendly. My favorite was the infinite pool by the sky restaurant. The sunset from there was beautiful. The shuttle system every hour to downtown was convenient to explore the city and they also helped us set up ziplining through Eden Canopy. Overall I did not want to leave and will definitely return if I travel here again.

Room Tip: higher floors have better view, but overall the hotel is located in a high hill so lower floors shou...
3 Thank Gloria C
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week at the beginning of July through Interval Int'l. We've always had such great experiences with II throughout Europe and Asia and we expected the same from Grand Miramar. No such luck. It started out with us checking in and being told they "didn't take AmericanExpress". Of course we knew that they did, they just preferred we use another card. Not our problem. We had to give a MC to guarantee charges, but at least we were able to close out our week using Amex. Not a good start...
The hotel and views were beautiful, but the service and amenities were definitely sub standard, based on what we are used to. The hotel tries to pass itself off as a 5 star resort, but it's not even close. There was only one restaurant (good food, but way overpriced!) I think they take advantage of the fact that you have no other food options unless you wait and take one of their limited shuttles into the city or take a taxi. Believe me, you can take a taxi into town and have a fabulous meal, bottle of wine and great people watching for much less than what the hotel charges. A buffet (?) restaurant also opened for dinner at Grand Miramar at the end of our vacation, but the price per person (around $50 USD) was ridiculous for food sitting in metal trays under hot lamps. Spend your money in the city!
Many, many hotel employees are seen. Not sure what they are doing. Asked for Housekeeping to clean my room one day when I knew we would be out most of the day. Got back to room-no one had come. I called again and was told they must have been busy all morning and they sent someone out later. While I was in the room. I tried to have them come when I knew we'd be out; otherwise, they would CALL my room to ask about cleaning when 'Do Not Disturb' sign was on the door-never had an uninterrupted nap!
Had to go to Snack Counter to order our poolside lunch and beers every afternoon until the day before I left. All these hotel staff just standing around in the shade and no one walking around pool and asking guests if they wanted food or drinks. Missed opportunities for them, for sure. Oh, my list goes on and on...
Just know what to expect if you come here. I would definitely go back to Puerto Vallarta, but I won't be back to Grand Miramar!

Room Tip: All the ocean views are good, but the higher floors will have less outside noise. They blast very l...
4 Thank TrudyA