“Location is everything... well, almost everything”

Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences
Ranked #11 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Colorado Springs
“Location is everything... well, almost everything”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I'm swimming in the infinity lap pool at the Sky Lounge.

When I come up for air, I see nothing beyond the water to my right by ocean and jungle-covered mountains.

For a moment, I think: "This is how the rich people vacation. Who has this kinda view from their pool?!"

The Grand Miramar might not be for everybody, and it certainly has its drawbacks, but not only did we have a great vacation there, it changed our view of Puerto Vallarta for the better.

Our last stay in PV was a couple of years ago doing a timeshare trade into Villa del Palmar, a sprawling, dated hotel on the beach in the old hotel zone.

Miramar was everything Villa del Palmar wasn't. It's in the ritzy Conchas Chinas neighborhood. It 's a big hotel, but doesn't feel like a resort. And it's close to Zona Romantica, which is the coolest part of PV, even for straight folks like us.

But let me start from the beginning: As noted previously, the snakey drive up to the hotel is both crazy and impressive. The hotel, with its wavy, cruise-ship like facade, makes an impressive show upon arrival.

The lobby, not so much.

We checked in, and then we were directed to Audi, who introduced herself as our concierge. She showed us a map of the area and was extremely helpful giving us a lay of the land. Then, of course, she told us about the amazing room upgrade and other free stuff she had in store for us if we would attend a timeshare presentation. I HATE FAKE CONCIERGES! She was so sweet, but then turned mean, no longer playing on our greed but our kindness: "Can't you do anything to help me out here?" Really, since when did it say on my vacation contract, I gotta help YOU out?" Sorry, I digress, kinda.

We were shown to our room, a 2 bedroom unit on the first floor of the B building. Even on the 1st floor, you get a nice partial ocean view. But these are nothing like the elegant rooms with the hot tubs on the balconies you get if you go on the tour. (My wife won't go on another tour if they throw her free purses and shoes!)

So, nice, but you still get the sense that you're a bit of a second-class citizen here. Carlos, our bellhop, was so kind and helpful, though, that he almost single-handedly undid the damage done by Audi.

The pools are lovely, and the hotel was fairly empty so we had the run of them.

You may have noted that although this place isn't on the beach, it does have a "beach club" you can use: The Blue Shrimp.

A beach club? Really?

The Blue Shrimp is merely an overpriced beach-front restaurant with lounge chairs on the beach that we can sometimes use with our Grand Miramar bracelets. However, one evening, a waiter told us we can't stay unless we order something. We explained the cooperative arrangement the hotel has with the place. He came back and said we had to order something or leave. We sent him back again, gently explaining the situation before a manager came out and kicked us out.

To their credit, the Grand Miramar management was shocked to hear this.But still, second class citizen, people!

We rented a car for the week, and although the driving can be nuts, both in town and up that drive, it's better than relying on the shuttle and cabs. (Do beware that they tack on all kindsa charges onto what you think your daily car rental will be.)

I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot. (The wifi is spotty, the restaurants in the hotel can be hard to find, the hot tub's too cold, I never found the market... i can go on-- I'm from NY) But we had a great time.

The units (even the ghetto ones) are luxurious, covered with marble tile everywhere, with a long granite countertop in the kitchen. We made breakfast in the room everyday and ate it on the balcony (trying not to think about those who had hot tubs on THEIRS.)

The common areas of the hotel are wonderfully maintained, and the service, when it's not provided by a timeshare shark, is stellar.

I'd go back.

Room Tip: After your timeshare shark leaves, sneak back down and see if you can negotiate a better room. I did...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ManitouWarren1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 12, 2013

If location were the king of choice, this would be the emperor. Located high up at the end of a cobblestone road in the Conchas Chinas area of Puerto Vallarta, this resort is beautiful, and beautifully appointed. Everything about it, from the decor to the service, is worthy of the 5 stars I have given it. I know that some people consider the distance up the hill to be a problem, but why worry when you can take a taxi down to get to all the spots which are 5-7 minutes away? The neighborhood itself is beautiful, with wonderful private residences nestled up the curving road to this brand-new resort. Apart from the fact that there are few places that can match its view, there are few places in the more desirable southern part of Puerto Vallarta that can be had without having to accept the all-inclusive game to which the hotels in the area have succumbed. The resort does feature time shares, yes, but this is neither the exclusive part of the place nor the one that you have to spend much time considering. It features 3 pools and a jacuzzi in the public area between the three buildings above the lobby, and great big suites, including the magnificent master suites which have ample space, a great balcony with those fabulous views, a jacuzzi all your own, a finely-appointed kitchen, dining area, living area and large bedroom with ample closets, comfortable over-sized bed, and a nice bathroom. The air conditioning works very well, and the lighting is thoughtfully designed. This is a new property, so expect major developments, particularly with the restaurants, though the one we tried, at the top of building sea, called the Sky Miramar, features wonderful food and very friendly service, with an even more fabulous view stretching to the town on the one side and the Nayarit side of Vallarta.
The hotel also has a well-timed regular shuttle service into the Ola Altas section of the town, just off downtown, and a good place from which to walk to the Malecon (the boardwalk), via the River Cuale (Rio Cuale).
I've already reviewed Puerto Vallarta itself; it is the beautiful necklace around the neck of the largest bay in Mexico, Banderas Bay (the Bay of Flags, and thereby hangs a tale). The Grand Miramar is one of the lovely jewels in that necklace.
I highly recommend a visit to the Grand Miramar. You won't regret it. Tell them I sent you!

Room Tip: Anything in Building C.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank RohitShukla
PJsMM, Director Comercial at Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences, responded to this review, August 3, 2015
Dear guest: Just a short THANK YOU note for your review. We hope we have had the pleasure of serving you again, if your travel plans have not brought you back to Puerto Vallarta, we hope to be the hotel of your choice on your next visit. Thank you for preference.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I debated over giving the resort 5 stars but 4.5 is not an option. The place is beautiful, the service is great but the location, WHOA!!! The resort sits high on a hill near "Old Town" in Conchos Chinos. The views of the the city and the bay are spectacular but getting up the hill to the hotel is an adventure. Each cab driver charges a different price and during rainy season, which July is, it is the equivalent of buying a ticket on a rollercoaster ride. We did get one upgrade upon checking in but were told the rooms with the balcony jacuzzis were unavailable. Sounded believable, however, I can't recall seeing more than 10 other guests our entire stay.

We did not do the timeshare tour with Miramar but did get roped into one upon arriving at the airport. The tour provided us with all of our excusions (Rythms of the Night, Tropical Tour, Eden, ziplining and 400 usd) but we felt like we lost a day of our lives. ... WARNING... If you come across anyone from Vida properties, run don't walk in the other direction. My wife and I are owners and veterans of the "90 minute" presentations but I thought I was going to have to call the Mexican authorities to get us out of that place. It took us 3 hours to leave. I thought we were in a bad episode of Get Smart. Each time the said we were leaving, they would take us to another room, another person would enter and try to sell us the same room at a lower price. They even told me they could get me tickets to the Superbowl :) NICE

I digress. The resort is far from the marina and New Vallarta so you must factor in additional cab fare a time should you want to venture to the other side of the island. The resyauraunts in old town are good and inexpensive and the staff provided decent suggestions. Ask more than one employee. They is a free shuttle to the beach club. We felt harassed on the beach by vendors but I won't hold that against the resort.

Since there were not many guests we did not have a vibrant pool experince, The pool is well maintained and no problem getting chairs :). However, we didn't make any "vacation friends" this trip. The pool also has the same amazing view.

We used the coffee in the room, asked for more and they charged us 40 pesos which I told them was odd but I paid it so I guess I can't complain. Overall I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: High floor, get the upgrade the views are worth it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank willpwr03
West Hollywood, California, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We truly stumbled upon the Grand Miramar Club & Spa while visiting Puerto Vallarta in June 2013. We were previously suppose to stay at another vacation rental, and due to the lack of A/C working properly we were able to get a room without a reservation at the Grand Miramar. We were so pleased with the customer service, the large airy open space rooms, and the views are amazing!

The resort during the month of June, was not over crowded. If you are looking for a spot to have a relaxing vacation and don't have an agenda to follow; this is the ideal place to allow yourself to decompress and just go with the flow.

Room Tip: I really like the difference of the Master suite from the junior suite, as it was only $100.00 dolla...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kim P
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently stayed at GM for one week on a Interval Getaway in the hotel. Everything I was promised or everything I wanted was done and it was done well. I didnt experience any timeshare sharks, found the property exceptional, and think this resort is an exceptional choice. Not one negative thing to say.

STAFF
The entire staff was very helpful and their attention to my stay was exceptional. It started with them arranging my transportation to and from the resort from the airport. It was so nice to find my driver with my name waiting for me when I arrived. When I got to the hotel they knew my name and even though I was early, my room was ready. The front staff, bellmen, door people are so professional. You couldnt ask for anymore.

Room C907
Wow is all I can say. The view was exactly what I wanted a vista of the ocean. 99% of my stress went away just walking onto the balconey. My room had a wonderfully large bathroom with shower, changing area, and jetted hot tub. The towels are fluffy clean, soaps, shampoos and the best blow dryer I have ever used. The room had a bar/kitchen area of granite with cook top, sink, fridge, coffee maker, dishes, glasses, and eating tools. I cant remember if a microwave was there. The fridge was stocked with a nice assortment of drinks at reasonable prices. Large closets, two flat screens one in a living area and one facing the bed. Large very nice ceiling fans kept the room air flow, and the AC was quiet and very good.
Each morning the room was cleaned and everything restocked. At night mints on the bed. The hotel is very quiet and I was totally happy with not hearing other people, or children.

GYM
What a view and the equipment is in new great shape. Totally enjoyed using it. No steam or sanua area.

RESTURANT
WOW! WOW and Double WOW! The food was amazing and the staff was exceptional. They knew my name after the first time, attended to my every want or wish, went above and beyond what I could of every thought of. I ate there more than I did in town because the food was so good, and the prices were a steal! There is one salad I just loved and the secret dressing was Hybiscias with seared tuna, mix greens, berries. Had it twice. You have to order the Lobster if you go there it was out of this world. If you are a early morning person you are going to love having your day start with this view.

POOLs
I used all the pools and they were clean and cool. Hot tub wasnt that hot, but its huge and clean. Pool towels are very nice and easy to find.

SHUTTLE
Walking down the hill isnt easy, but good exercise. Walking up would be even better. They offer a shuttle service to the beach club at Blue Shrimp, which I always go to when in PV. The beach is very nice and the shuttle very dependable.

FINALLY
PV is a great place to take the entire family. I find it always very safe and easy to understand. The people are friendly and I never felt anything but warmth and being welcomed. The nice thing about GM is you are on top of a hill, and it is a little bit of journey to get to the top. So once your there, its like why ever leave? They do have on site help in arranging anything you may want. I enjoy the Mexican Resort life and if I have the chance would def return to this property.
SUGGESTIONS
Maybe offer a shuttle service for guests during the evening hours so no one has to contend with a taxi. Even though taxis are dirt cheap. Coffee for coffee maker without charging would also be nice.

Room Tip: Jr Master or Master Suite is the way to go!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Bob F
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A friend of mine and I have travelled there twice. We signed up originally for the timeshare because we were so impressed. Unfortunately, the promises were not as promised. It is a lovely place, the food is great, the personnel are absolutely the best. Just do not sign up. We needed to get an attorney that specialized in Consumer Protection to get us out of our contract.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
14 Thank Cjchristopher
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed in a studio apartment that was so small we could not both enter at the same time. The bathroom was down the hall. Both rooms had separate keys. We went to a ownership presentation and it was terrible. Lies , Lies, Lies. They didn't provide anything they promised and they hounded us our entire stay. The road to the resort is terrible. The first taxi said he would not take us there because the road was so rough and very winding. We cannot let our friends stay there.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple