“Outstanding Resort”

Ranked #11 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Phoenix, Arizona
“Outstanding Resort”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I can't believe how great this resort was to stay in. First, I go to PV every year at least once since 1994 and I have another resort I own at and usually stay there. This trip I found an amazing deal on Interval International to stay at Grand Miramar. I had toured it and taken the timeshare presentation a year and a half earlier when they were still under construction and I knew the rooms were going to be great. So I booked a one bedroom, two bath suite for a week and invited my 19 year old son who had just graduated High School this year for a graduation gift.

When we showed up they asked how many of us there were and I told them just me and my son. They were extremely polite to us. They told us our room was not quite ready (no problem because we were there long before check-in time). They took us to the rooftop pool and got us drinks and told us they would come get us when our room was ready. About 30 minutes later they came and took us to our suite. It was a two bedroom, two bath suite that was bigger than you could imagine for a resort. I was impressed because usually when a business upgrades you they make a big deal about it and pat themselves on the back. None of that happened. They just took us to a suite and it was an amazing upgrade.

The livingroom, dining area, and kitchen were bigger than any 3 rooms I have ever stayed in before. Then you go into the bedrooms with master bath in each and they were huge as well. Balconies off of all three areas and a view of the town and bay that was awesome.

The staff were so friendly and helpful in every way. We went to the lobby on our way out one day and asked for a taxi. The guy behind the desk told us that if we could wait just a couple of minutes, he had to go to town to pick up the next shift's workers and he would give us a ride, which he did. This was a separate trip from the shuttle service they they do daily except Saturdays.

If this resort is ever available again when I'm looking to go to PV, I will book it again in a heart beat.

There was only two slight negatives: 1. The pools were still being worked on and there was construction noise early in the mornings. They were almost done with the pools and I don't believe that will be a problem much longer. 2. Unless you are rising early and coming back fairly early in the day, the shuttle service is not going to help you much with your travels into town and back. Although, for the few times we actually got moving early enough, it was better than using a taxi. Both of these things were only minor inconveniences to us since the resort was over the top great in so many other ways.

A lot of people don't want to stay in this resort because it is not on a beach. If you let that stop you from staying here, you are seriously depriving yourself of a truly outstanding resort. Besides, the shuttles drop you off within a block of Playa los Muertos beach which is the most popular public beach in PV.

The resort is located in the hills of Conchas Chinas which they call the Beverly Hills of Puerto Vallarta. The winding cobblestone streets leading up to the resort are filled with multi-million dollar estates. It is such a beautiful area and it was only about a 5 minute taxi ride to the Romantic Zone and Old Town Vallarta.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank david760
PJsMM, Director Comercial at Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences, responded to this review, August 3, 2015
Dear guest: Just a short THANK YOU note for your review. We hope we have had the pleasure of serving you again, if your travel plans have not brought you back to Puerto Vallarta, we hope to be the hotel of your choice on your next visit. Thank you for preference.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I exchanged a timeshare week for this property in Puerto Vallarta, and although much of the grounds were in the process of renovation, our trip was just amazing. To start with, we had a rather difficult time finding the place, it is high up on the hills above Playa Conhas Chinas. Once we found the arches off the highway, we wound around the steep cobblestone streets to the best view in Puerto Vallarta! Another bonus of the location is how quiet it is, away from the nightlife of El Malecon and clubs. We traveled in May, which is shoulder season, and the resort only had about 20 guests! We were upgraded to a HUGE two-bedroom unit that was just beautiful and had everything we needed. It is nice to have a kitchen to make breakfast and coffee in the morning so you can start at your own pace. The three main pools were closed while they re-tiled everything, but there was a fantastic soaking pool on the 10th floor of one of the buildings we used -- it has an even better view! You can see downtown PV and the nightly fireworks from pirate ship. We were the first customers of the new restaurant adjacent to the pool there, and both of us were impressed with the quality of the food. The young woman chef is quite talented and the prices were reasonable. I would like to see more of a selection on the menu, however. There are several great restaurants just down the hill -- the El Set just south on the highway and the Vista Grill north on the highway and up another hill (see reviews) were both fantastic with great views. While we did not get the full advantage of the resort facilities, all will be open soon, and we can't wait to return to this beautifully decorated and located property. The staff were more than friendly -- the manager Rene went above and beyond to find us information about shipping. Everyone we we dealt with was friendly and helpful. I think this resort has changed management and is transitioning to a truly five-star resort! It is well worth it.

Room Tip: View is better on the higher floors, try to get at least 2 or above or you will be right by the pool...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OsoMan
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I had some worries after reading the reviews about the Sales Presentations, But very glad we came here. We exchanged via Interval International to get our stay here. We were asked if we wanted to see a presentation but politely declined. We were never bothered again. Our exchange was supposed to be for a 1 bedroom unit, but they upgraded us into this massive 2 bedroom suite since the slow season was starting. Everything in the unit was state-of-the-art. We felt like we just stepped into the lives of the rich and famous. Staff was very nice. I think all timeshare presentations are a little bit slimy so if that's not your thing, don't go to one. Hope to return back here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Mark G
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We had the time of our lives on this trip. This resort was by far the nicest we ever stayed at, the rooms where so well done and modern with granite counters and high end appliances. The pool and restaurant where also top of the line but the views.... Wow the views are the best sitting there at night sipping tequila looking over the city and the bay from high up above. Wow, all I can say is WOW.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krysta F
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I enjoyed my hotel stay at the, Grand Miramar Hotel! What I loved about the hotel, was the people, my room and the food! The rooms are spacious, with kitchens! The bathrooms have marble top counters and marble floors! The view from the hotel is like being in Greece or The Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles! Now the food was soo good and fresh! Every plate is presented like a work of art! I want to give all the staff a special thanks for making my stay enjoyable. I wish I could name every person that made my stay enjoyable, but it would be to many to name!! But, I would like give a special thanks to the New Director of sales!!

And I love the city of Puerto, Vallarta

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at Grand Miramar for a few days with a large group of friends and family after Christmas and had a very nice time. The rooms were great sized but didn't feel completely finished yet. (this is a common theme with everything at the property). I think after another 6 months the rough edges should be smoothed over and would certainly consider going back to this hotel. I like that the property was out of the city, but still a $10 cab ride into Centro. The pool area was nice, aside from construction noise. My wife spoke very highly of the spa.

During our entire stay, no one even heard the word time share. I'm not sure where all of the timeshare reviews below are coming from.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Justin E
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I read the reviews - and can tell you first-hand what a complete change of staff can do to a resorts outlook. I have extensive experience both staying at, and working with, hundreds of hotels and resorts over the last 20 years. This property is not only beautiful (see my images taken on March 27, 2012), but the ownership group has brought in a new Director of Operations, a new Director of Sales and Marketing, and an entirely new front desk and bell staff - partially in response to negative reviews posted.

I would advise anyone looking for a fantastically secluded property, yet just 10 minutes from the famous Puerto Vallarta Malecon, this is the place. The one bedroom corner suites with a Jacuzzi on the balcony are out some of the best suites I have seen in Mexico. The "perfect for families" four bedroom, three-level villas cannot be beat in terms of luxury, price and comfort (almost 4,000 sq. ft) and even the "standard" units has stainless steel appliances and unbelievable sunset views.

Not much more to say here...fantastic property - with a bad reputation due to terrible staff in the past. I can tell you with relative certainly (due to my business dealings with the new management) this will change for the better is little to no time. Enjoy the peace and quite while you can - the Grand Miramar will become on of the more popular upscale properties in Puerto Vallarta in no time.

Room Tip: Grab the corner suites is you can - HUGE balcony with a Jacuzzi and a full size living room and kitc...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple