“Great house but some definite issues with the booking process!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotelito Rolando

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ranked #32 of 74 Puerto Vallarta B&B and Inns
“Great house but some definite issues with the booking process!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Myself and several friends / extended family members arranged to rent the entire house almost two years in advance. When we arrived at the house, there were several people there and we were told that Rolando had 'made a mistake' with the booking and one of the rooms would be unavailable until the following day. After speaking to the folks who were in that room, we learned that some folks who had rented out rooms on a yearly basis had been essentially thrown out for our stay and had only been given 1 - 2 weeks notice. People were scrambling to clear out of their rooms, despite the fact that we had been told we could arrive whenever we liked because the whole day had been set aside for us. It was very awkward and unsettling to say the least. We were also told there would be a phone available for us to use, but this was never provided. Without a phone, we could not even call out for a taxi and in a house in a very hilly area, this is not ideal! There is an English speaking manager who we spoke to on the phone but he was never around and we never actually met him. The on-site care-taker and the maid were both excellent.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mcpinky
Jun R, Owner at Hotelito Rolando, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear McPinky

We thank you for your review. We'd like to advise you that Hotelito Rolando is now under new (Canadian) management since July of this year (2012).

We have taken steps to address the issues you've raised. For instance, we have installed a new phone from a more reliable company. We also have purchased cellphones for rent, under Mexican cell carriers, that you can re-charge for about MXN 50 Pesos (US $4). English-speaking Management is also on site, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to take care of guests' needs.

We are always improving our processes and adding new services and we do hope to see you and your family again in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

I will preface this review with the fact that I did get a full refund (albeit a month later). This is the one and only reason I have rated this a two star rather than one star experience.

I booked and paid for my April 2011 stay with Rolando 6 months earlier in Nov. 2010. As a solo female traveler, I wanted to ensure my trip went as smoothly as possible. Rolando was great to work with, quick to answer my questions, provided me with information on transportation to and from the airport. No problems. I touched base with Rolando in late March to confirm my arrival and then again one week prior to my arrival.

After a 12 hours of travel, I finally arrived in Puerto Vallarta tired, hot and starving. My driver, Carlos (set up through Rolando), was waiting for me at the airport and took me directly to Hotelito Rolando. Upon my arrival, I found out that Rolando was in California and the property manager had no clue about my reservation. As it turned out, the entire hotel had been booked by one family a year in advance and there was no room for me at Hotelito Rolando.

Luckily my driver, Carlos, was a saint. He stayed with me throughout the entire ordeal (which ended up lasting 3 hours)! Carlos tried to figure out what was going on and where I was going to stay. After the property manager made numerous phone calls trying to get in touch with Rolando he was able to locate another property manager at Rolando's other condominium. They offered me a stay at the condo in place of the room at Hotelito Rolando.

Although I did not want to stay at the condo, I felt as if I didn't have another option. So, I packed my bags back into the taxi and Carlos and the property manager at Hotelito Rolando drove me back across the city to the condo. Upon arrival the property manager at the condo was intoxicated. I refused to stay at the property by myself with a man in that state. He tried showing me two of the condos (neither nearly as nice as the hotelito) but I refused based solely on the fact that he was drunk and I did not feel safe.

The intoxicated property manager explained that they could work out a room for me at Hotelito Rolando afterall. At that point I was furious because I had just come from there. We packed the car back up and drove back across the city to Hotelito Rolando. Upon arriving there the woman who had rented out the entire hotel was now present She explained how she'd booked a year in advance. I explained that I had booked 6 months ago. We both agreed it was a bad situation and there was no room for me. She offered to make room for me with her family, but that was not the vacation I had planned, nor the room I had booked. Plus, I didn't like the idea of having to move rooms each day based on her families arrival and departure from the hotelito. Finally Carlos managed to get in touch with a friend who worked for another area hotel. She was able to book me a room there. If not for Carlos my entire vacation would have been ruined. I ended up leaving Hotelito Rolando and staying in the hotel Carlos found for me.

Immediately upon my check-in at the new hotel I emailed Rolando and demanded a refund. He, after a several emails, finally agreed. He stated that the cashier's check would be put in the mail the next day. After multiple emails spanning the month, the personal check from his mother arrived almost four weeks after he said he'd mail it.

All in all, my experience with Rolando and his hotels was awful. Again, the only reason I give it two stars rather than 1 is because I did finally receive a full refund. Although the hotel looked beautiful in the pictures and in person, I would NOT recommend it to anyone based on the poor business management on Rolando's end.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Always_Globetrotting
Jun R, Owner at Hotelito Rolando, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Always_Globetrotting:

We appreciate the issue you've raised and we can assure you that this type of incident will not happen under our watch.

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

My husband, sister and I stayed at the Hotelito Rolando for a week in February of 2010 but I was not motivated to write a review until now. We just returned from our second visit to PVR and this time we stayed at the number one rated all-inclusive hotel in the city. It was elegant and the food and service were excellent but it lacked the charm and atmosphere of this Hotelito. The Hotelito Rolando is owned and, for the most part, managed, by Rolando himself who was born in Mexico but raised in California. Hence he is wonderfully bilingual and bicultural so is therefore an excellent resource for information on all things Mexican and Puerto Vallartan in particular. (He is even on a first-name basis with the donkey we heard every morning.) The hotelito is reminescent of a small upscale hostel. The rates are very reasonable. Each of the wonderfully unique rooms is named after a member of Rolando's family. There are no meals included but there is a small kitchen in the common area where guests can store their food, make meals, make coffee. Linens are supplied but one needs to bring their own toiletries. There is a nice little pool in the common area but it is not heated and in the shade so was not really amenable in February except one very warm day. The common area is an excellent place to visit with fellow travellers. It is a bit of an uphill walk from downtown but all the better to wear off all that fine Mexican cuisine. My only hesitation in recommending the Hotelito Rolando is that I don't want it to get so busy that I'd have to book a year in advance but Rolando deserves the business.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank librarylil95
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

I have stayed in many places in Puerto Vallarta, but none have impressed me with their beauty, design and welcoming feel as Hotelito Rolando.
After spending two weeks staying at the Hotelito Rolando in Puerto Vallarta, I knew that I just had to write to let other travellers know of this diamond in the rough. The hotel is located in an old part of the city up on the hill - and it has an absolutely stunning view of the bay. The Hotel itself, is so incredibly beautiful, designed by the owner, Rolando Donato, it truly feels like an old classic Mexican Hacienda. Each room is charming in its own right, with beautiful built in couches, authentic Mexican artwork in every space, and lovely hand painted murals on the walls.The bathrooms are unique in that the shower stall was hand molded in unusual shapes with little stars and moons cut out of the walls for a view of the city. The bathrooms are also filled with extraordinary tile work, also done by Rolando - who I guess, is actually an artisan as well as the proprietor of Hotelito Rolando. Each room has a small balcony with incredible views of the city and bay - where you can drink your own coffee and take your time preparing for the day. But what I also love about this hotel is its size. It has about ten bedrooms and many lovely areas to sit and gather - it is the perfect place for a family reunion or a group of friends to stay. But it is also just fine for one person traveling alone. The first time I stayed at Hotelito Rolando, I was alone. And yet, it was so small and intimate, that I felt safe. It also helped that Rolando is always willing to pick you up from the airport as well as serve, when needed, as your guide to the city. Another thing that I really like was the sweet outdoor kitchen, that overlooks the pool and the city view. I follow a special diet and it was important to me to prepare my own meals sometimes. But if you don't want to cook, Rolando can bring in a chef to do all your food prep for you. Or eat out - the hotel is within walking distance of many fine restuarants. There is so much more I can say. Hotelito Rolando is within easy walking distance of the entire city - yet it is set in its own little world behind a stunning gate of an intricate design. The cost for a room was incredibly reasonable. And when I needed something, Rolando dealt with it right away. Also helpful, is that Rolando is as much an American as he is a Mexican, so that he is fully aware of cultural differences and subtle nuances that can be extremely useful in a bevy of situations. If you want a taste of the real Mexico and you have that desire to shy away from the large tourist hotels - stay in the lovely, authentic Hotelito Rolando.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank MayaJunie
Copperas Cove, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

What I liked most about Hotelito Rolando was the traditional "mexican" ambience that you feel when you step inside the gate. The hotel is bright and beautifully decorated. It literally felt like paradise. The view from the rooftop terrace is just beautiful and you can lounge up there and soak up sun or just relax and enjoy the view. I traveled alone with my two children and they loved the pool. I would recommend this hotel not only for the beauty of it but it's also within walking distance to shopping, dining and all that Puerto Vallarta has to offer. The owner was very accommodating and even showed me where there was a good doctor when I was sick with a cough. My overall experience was outstanding.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank factorsm
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

a charming and lovely place to stay..Rolando was very welcoming and generous with travellng tips..the view was stunning and the room was comfortable and adorable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linaSanFrancisco
Köln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed there during my language school for some time and became friends with the owner Rolando quickly. The hotel has an amazing view over the bay and i made up in a mexican style, very colourful and nice looking. The owner is very friendly and will help you with all your doubts. I loved staying there for the atmosphere .The terrace with a small pool site is very comfortable also containing a community kitchen for all guests.Vallarta centro you reach within few minutes walking or by cab easily. The rooms are comfortable, and everything is very clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a good and cheaper alternative if you want to experience real mexican hospitality and not one of those boring stays in a chain hotel. SAS !!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo