“nice hotel”

Ranked #12 of 73 Puerto Vallarta B&B and Inns
Longueuil, Canada
“nice hotel”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

good price,very clean,staff very kind. the only thing:dont take the breakfast at 60$(pesos) its gross and dont worth it...but for the rest a nice place to go :-) its very close from the sea(one street) and have a nice pool at the top

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Patricia A, Director of Sales at Hotel Portonovo Plaza, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
It is a very nice little property and we surely hope to see you again, now that we know that our breakfast wasn0t good enough, we first thank you for letting us know and we assure you will do everything in our power to make it better. :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Burlington, ON
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great location! Now that the buses don't run past it anymore, it is very quiet. The hotel has a modern look to it. (contemporary tiles-art) Very clean! The service is excellent. You want more towels, a blanket, an iron then you get it almost immediately. The bathrooms have glass showers however the doors often won't close with a tight seal. Water pressure and temperature are perfect. The beds are very firm and the pillows too plump and firm for my liking. However I just went across the street to Leys department store and purchased a smaller pillow for about $5 and then I slept quite well. I have come here before and will return. We own a condo in Puerto Vallarta that we rent out and if we aren't ready to head home to Canada then this is our hotel choice. I haven't used the pool or restaurant areas as there are so many other things in PV to keep you occupied. The internet has been off and on which can be bothersome. Next door is an internet cafe and for 50 cents you can use them there. I also saw a few small bugs but hey I'm bigger than they are so I just ignored them. The price and the location negates any complaints in my opinion. $50 a night and right at the Malecon. Enjoy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JeanJean57
Thank you for your overall kind review. We will work on the internet issues. About the little bugs, we are constantly fumigating, our extermitator visit us monthly during the winter and spring and twice a month during summer and fall. Thank you again and we can't wait to have you over!
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Portonovo recently as we wanted to be close to the Old Town and see more of that part of Puerto Vallarta. The hotel has 45 rooms on 3 floors with a very small pool on the rooftop (the 4th floor). It has a small restaurant on this level with a modest menu and good prices. The room that we required was a double (2 beds). The room had a window that opened and a small one over the shower in the bathroom that also opened. The hotel has been built on a modest budget but it is tastefully decorated.

The beds and thick pillows were extra hard - and both my husband and I found it difficult to sleep and ended up with backaches that only disappeared once we got into softer beds with softer pillows. I had to ask for a wine glass for the week as no glasses were supplied in the room. I was told that I could buy some ice, but I was ultimately able to get a couple of ice cubes in the wine glass from the restaurant person. There was no balcony from the double room but I noticed that there were small balconies with 1 chair on each on the smaller rooms.
Rooms looked out on the the main road, or a back roadway towards the beach.

We had to relinquish our room key when we wanted to get beach towels to use for either the pool or the beach which was a short walk away. When one wanted to sit on the beach, one showed that you were with Portonovo Hotel and you were provided a lounger and an umbrella. We had to wear wrist bands for the entire length of stay - apparently for "security" reasons. Internet was available in the rooms.

I think most of the guests are Mexican visitors who are there for short stays.

The small staff are friendly and helpful people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out to the back -
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnneVDK
Patricia A, Director of Sales at Hotel Portonovo Plaza, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest: Our beds and pillows are orthopedic and are thought to improve our guests physicall health, we are so sorry to hear they were not so comfortable to you and for that, we will evaluate the possibility to replace some of them with softer matresses. We thank you for your good overall review and we sure hope to have you over in the near future.
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hotel Portonovo is a five minute walk to the Mélançon de Puerto Vallarta. If covenience is a major consideration to the playa and shops Portonovo is a good choice for mid priced, contemporary lodging. Couples suggest upgrading to double beds since there are no queen or king size beds. The rooms are tidy and hotel well managed and front desk bilingual - Spanish and English. . Expect to pay around USD$70. per night. Recommend!

Room Tip: Upgrade to double beds. No queen size beds and single beds are quite small.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation! We are glad to know we provided a good service and that your stay with us was overall pleasant. Come back soon!
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel had new furniture and decorations but that did not make us want to stay after we saw roaches in the room. There were a few baby roaches in the bathroom and a couple in the room by the bed. My husband hates roaches so we asked for a different room. The first thing we saw when we flipped the light on in the new room was a bigger roach by the air con. We decided we did not want to stay there any longer so we checked out (2 am) and went straight to the airport even though our flight did not leave until 2 pm. We had dropped our bags off in the morning and didn't get back til midnight so we did not hang out in the room until very late. I read a lot of good reviews about this hotel and that's why we picked it. We could handle the size of the room which was very small but not the roaches. The man who was the bell and bartender was very apologetic but the front desk clerk was a little cold and rude. The location was good because it was by the malecon so it was a shame that we didn't stay. I wanted to go back to a shop on the malecon the next morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pinkachoo10
We found your comment really helpful! Since then, our exterminator visit us once a month during Winter and Spring and twice a month during Summer and Fall. We are getting better thanks to you!
Sacramento
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed there for two days in July with my daughter. This hotel is very stylishly decorated and so are the rooms. It is also very clean. However the rooms are extremely small and have a claustraphobic feel to them. There is free wifi, but most hotels in this area have free wifi. The rooms are equiped with almost nothing. We had to ask for blankets because there are only sheets on the bed and we also had to ask for glasses. The noise from the street was extermely loud. The pool looked somewhat dirty and not very inviting to swim in. You have to wear a wrist band, which I always dislike. My son dropped me off when we were checking in and the person checking us in immediately said I had only reserved for two and we were three. I explained my son wasn't staying there but it gave a bad taste to me. I have stayed at many hotels in and around the malecon and one can do much better

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pulidoc
We are pleased to tell you that the City pf Puerto Vallarta has banned all public buses to pass by the hotel, so the street noise is long gone! We are sorry for the pool condition you mention, we've payed close attention to it and know we do everything in our power to keep it clean and inviting. The use of wrist band is to avoid non-guests from entering the facilities, we know it can be unpleasant, but your security is our main concern. We apologize for the situatuon with your son, and we've instructed front desk to address these kind of issues with all the tact and sensibility the matter requires. We sure hope you give us another chance and if you do, please let us know what we can do to get better.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2012

So, I have to say that visually, the hotel is very nice. However, I was in 3 different rooms because the first 2 leaked in the bathroom. Apparently, they then thought it was a stellar idea to put me under the pool, with a view outside my window of 3 walls and 4 air conditioners. Didn't even stay long enough to spend the night. Rebooked at the hotel behind them.. Hotel Pescador. To Portonovo's defense, they did attempt to keep me there, but I was done at that point. And, when people have reviewd the beds are hard. THEY ARE!! I ignored those negative reviews. Man was that a mistake.. It was very close to the Malecon, food, a grocery store, and ATMs...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Amerific2011
Patricia A, Director of Sales at Hotel Portonovo Plaza, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We are sorry you decided not to stay, we would've loved it if you did. But thank you for your review, it helps us to improve.