“Great Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, BC
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

I've been to this resort over 7 times with various family members and never had a bad experience. My husband and I also got married in PV and had our wedding guests stay at this resort, who also enjoyed it. We've also recommended it to a ton of friends who also enjoyed it. I've been to other resorts on the Cancun side, however keep returning to this one for the great staff, fun environment, and perfect weather. This resort is great value for the money and you are guaranteed to have a good time. Can't wait to return next this February.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ClaireVancouver_BC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Collingwood, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

I had a great time at the Crown Paradise!
I stayed in a Oceanview Room that overlooked the Pool and Bar. The rooms are spacious and clean. The food was OK. I'm not a picky eater so I was quite happy to just eat snacks from the pool and beach bar. The beach bar had a good lunch menu and also had sushi at night. I recommend getting the room service for breakfast every morning! We ate dinner next door at the buffet at the sister resort but it was so so. I think they keep the food simple over there because it is a kids resort.
The location is good because you are a short drive from the downtown and there is a grocery store, pizza restaurant and an Outback within walking distance. The Grocery store is huge and has a liquor store in it! The staff were quite helpful when I went to buy Tequila and bandages! ( I had blisters from new golf shoes!)
I was part of a large group (30) that had chose this resort for the golf. It was included but you still had to pay $60 per person for the cart. However, the Vista Vallarta courses are well worth the price. They are a $20 cab ride away but split between a foursome its still cheap.
The resort seemed to be mostly in the 50+ age group but if you wanted some club excitement all you had to do was grab a cab and head downtown to the various discos.
They also have a disco right across the street from the hotel which I did not get to but some others from our group went and had a good time.
The pool was warm and clean, the beach was great but a few days the waves were too high to go in. The hot tub in the pool was good but if you want a warmer hot tub go next door to the sister hotel and use the huge hot tub with the swim up bar.
I really enjoy just relaxing and lying on the beach or at the pool and here are my only two complaints. Beach and pool chairs were in limited supply and if you didn`t get up at 7:30 and reserve one with your towel you were out of luck until late afternoon. It was unfortunate to see chairs with towels but no people on them until after lunch.
The only other complaint is that the beach vendors are relentlous. They will ask you every time they walk by if you want to buy something. And believe me they walk by alot. I think the economic downturn has hit them hard as well so you will be able to barter. I got some silver jewellery and it was quite inexpensive.
Overall, I had a great time and the staff were excellent!

• Stayed January 2010
4 Thank g0lfgurl
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2010

Check in – Smooth, pleasant and prompt. Antonio at the front desk was welcoming and friendly and explained all information completely. Received a welcome drink.

The hotel is located in a prime location – only 10 minutes away from the airport and located next door to the marine port – next to the resort is a marketplace where you can buy all your souvenirs – it is used by the cruise ships.

Resort Location - Even though this resort does not claim to be wheelchair accessible – it is manageable for someone who is still able to get out of his or her wheelchair or if you are in an electric scooter or chair – you will be able to manage. Only one ramp (the one located near the breeze bar) is not accessible due to the steep grade and you would need assistance to get up. However, when my husband was not with me – there are enough wait staff, security or maintenance staff who will help you.

Room – We were in an oceanfront, main floor, Jacuzzi room with king size bed. It was very roomy, clean with updated furnishings. The bed was quite firm – hubby loved it, but not for me. All hallways were covered but open on one side, so we were never disturbed by other guests coming or going or rolling luggage echoes. Due to the open air hallways - you can leave your deck doors and main door open and you had a wonderful breeze comes through the room. We found our room’s air conditioning was not as cool as we would have liked – but we did not complain about it. Our room did not have a ceiling fan like some of the other rooms we had seen. I believe that would have made a difference. We did hear some noises in the walls in the night – appeared to be water pipes. They did not wake you up – but if you were already up they got your attention. In the mornings we placed 50 pesos on the bed for the maid – we did not receive one towel animal or flower arrangement in our room all week, this was a little disappointing. We were in a upgraded room and other friends who had the regular rooms received cute towel animals and flower decorations on their bed.

Food - WOW!! – what can I say, every meal we had at this resort was delicious, flavourful, and the service was wonderful. I did have some friends who did not have positive experiences, such as missed courses, food cold when it arrived, or lack of customer service – but that was only on one occasion. Upon check in you will receive two green slips of paper – these will allow you to book at the restaurants on the sister resort. There are three a la carts – Japanese, Italian and French. Therefore you need to decide which one you will eliminate – would have liked to have all options. We ate at the following restaurants –

Salvador’s – Golden Crown - SEE PICTURES
- good combination of items for those a bit adventurous and those who just want customary selections – I recommend the chicken with Pecans and cream cheese – absolutely delicious along with the portabella mushroom appetizer – and the Crème brûlée

Paradise – Golden Crown - SEE PICTURES

- again both something for everyone – I must recommend the steak at this restaurant and along with the mushroom appetizer. Even though I cannot drink coffee – the sexy coffee done by Poly is amazing – he will even do a hot chocolate for you.

Japanese – Golden CLUB sister resort
- They have a buffet style service, a main menu and a sushi menu – this restaurant has something for everyone – do not pass it by just because they feature sushi

French – Golden CLUB sister resort - SEE PICTURES
- the Quiche Lorraine was very good – but you must try the ham and chicken croquets – they were fantastic – The chicken cordon bleu was excellent – so many people I talked to loved it as well. It is prepared with cheddar cheese rather than traditional swiss or mozza cheese – but it is very good.

Patio Restaurant and Grill – Golden Crown
- They have the best French toast I have ever had – thick and then rolled in sugar. This restaurant also offers a vegetarian menu. Every other day they offer fresh juices – the Celery and Lime juice was to die for and I am not one who likes juice!!!!

Breezes – Golden Crown
- every other day they offer the same menu – No 5 Sandwich – a Panini sandwich with either ham or turkey (ham was awesome) is a must try also the shrimp tostadas were GREAT!!!! A crispy taco base, with a tasty mayo, five baby shrimp with a fresh slice of avocado on top. My hubby tried the octopus one and he loved it. I never tried the fresh seafood Ceviche or the seafood soup with fresh crab leg on top – due to allergies, but it smelled amazing.

Pool Bar -– Golden Crown
- you would be fine if you only ate at this little gem. The PORK TACOS are killer. They also offer hamburgers, ribs and nachos.

Pool Bar – Golden CLUB sister resort
- ate here once – but wished he could eat there more. The pork burrito is great. They change their menu every other day as well

Buffet – Golden CLUB sister resort
- Excellent – only ate here for breakfast one day – but some friends ate there almost every meal – they raved about it

The Service - at all the Restaurants – very attentive and friendly!!!!
- You cannot get any better – I will admit I am very picky and can be demanding (due to allergies), so if they meet my standards, I am happy.

The pool – approximately 4 feet deep – perfect for relaxing, floating or swimming laps. A few times a day the pool staff set up tequila volleyball, water polo, blind volleyball. Paul and Jorge – they are excellent aqua fitness instructors – they make it fun but they work you hard. Janet ( pool staff) never taught a class I took – but past guests say she is super tough !!!! Every day at around 3:30 they get everyone up and do s Sun Dance – in order to have sun for the next day – this is fun and easy – make sure to get up and give it a try!!! First three days the hotel was not full and they let you save / reserve your lounger with towels. But once the hotel is full they remind you that you cannot save seats at the beach or at the pool and you will lose you towel. There were always enough for all I found. One observation – since this resort is the closest one to the Port – the resort will allow cruise ship customers onto the resort for a fee – I never found that they took over – but I found they did treat the pool wait staff insensitively.

Evening Shows / Nitro
They have game show night, Las Vegas Night, Latin Night, Karaoke Night, and Mexican Night. We went to the Las Vegas show only. The activity staff try really hard and they put a lot into the show – they are entertaining, but a little on the cheesy side. Many families were there from there Club side – a great way to end your day. The shows are from 9:30 – 10:30. Then the bar opens at 11:00. I went there one night – all-inclusive resort guests drink free until 2:00 am. I went on a Thursday night – there were only 7 people – it was fun – really loud music. Music was older dance mixes – but a fun time. NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE

Tours -
Wild ATV Tour - http://www.wildvallarta.com/
THEY WERE GREAT!!!! Highly recommend them – their quads where in good shape, very friendly staff, and our tour guide was awesome!!! Well worth the money!! THe stops along the way - the La Casa on the mountain and the Restaurant / Taquila testing and demonstration - NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE

Rhythms of the Night - http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/rhythms-of-the-night
This was one of the most amazing dinners, and sights I have seen. It was a special place and I enjoyed every minute of the trip. NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE

EXTRAS
El Palomar de los Gonzáles Restaurant – see pictures and trip advisor review page http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1139694-r47285133-El_Palomar_de_los_Gonzalez-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html - NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE

Bubba Gump Shrimp – Was a nice little place – good atmosphere – the Shrimp Scampi Linguini was fantastic!!! I had the Crab stuffed Shrimp – it was good – but to me I am not use to their kind of crab and I found it a bit fishy. Being from Canada I am use to sweet snow crab not rock crab.

8 Thank saskdevil
Calgary Alberta Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

I've grown to appreciate the GCP a little more each time we've visited over the past 6 years. For the money I've yet to find a better ocean front room combined with the food service and pleasant folks who look after the place. Paradise Restaurant has the best menu and service wise was top notch. The lunch time offerings at the Breezes and Bella Vista have picked up a notch with lots of fresh seafood.
Granted the place isn't new but everything was clean and tidy as it always has been when we've visited. The supper honouring the return vistors had over forty participants and we talked with many who have returned many more than the four times we have.
Great value and for us another great experience.

1 Thank Boomer343
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed at GCP Jan 8-15/10 so just got back yesterday! We had such an incredible time and this is because of the hard working wonderful people who make THIS place so wonderful. I read over every review possible when booking but I should never have listened to any of the negative comments. Sure there are a few things but hey overall it was all good. How could it not be. You have a la carte meals and some really nice restaurants in GCP and its sister resort next door. The front desk people are friendly and helpful. They upgraded us to an oceanfront room and it was beautiful and quiet. We had 2 double beds but we made it work. The shower is tricky to get in and out of but we also got used to that pretty quickly. The room was immaculate everyday but I did miss having a small fridge to put the 2 bottles of water daily they supply for you. The food was really good. There are 2 different menus that are changed so if you really like something on it wait for the 2nd day after you eat it if you want it again. You go to the activities desk in the morning (opens at 9am) and there usually is a few people in line to make reservations for that day only. We really enjoyed Salvadors and the beef tenderloin in red wine sauce, OMG was that yummy. Also the bisque. We have been all over Mexico and I think we have finally found a place that we will go back to year after year. We met many people who have been coming for years to GCP.
We left the resort once to go eat at a restaurant near the Malecon. The meal is included in your all inclusive but the drinks are not. We found the food at the resort much better. If I had to be negative about anything it would be that more Cabanas are needed at the pool. There are only 5 and that sun gets so so hot in the day and you have to be up pretty early to get one. Special thanks to Alejandra at the pool bar (boy she just kept those drinks coming), also Pablo at breezes, Antonia at Bellavista and Veronica at Salvadors. These people made our stay. Please do not hesitate to stay here. It was worth every penny. And please remember to tip these hard workers! And to the person who wrote a review just before me, there were other beer besides Sol. We had Medelo Negra and Pacifico??

4 Thank BeachbabyCalgary
Vancouver,BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

Single traveller, stayed at the Golden crown Jan3-10th, 2010 have stayed in several resorts in PV and this has been the best, dlx oceanfront room, right on the beach, service, food and staff 9-10, would definitely go back. I wanted a week of nothing,sat on the beach and with some minor tipping received unbelievable service. There are also a couple of restaurants in downtown PV that allows to eat for free but beverages and tip is not included but made for a nice break one day for lunch.The picture shown is not of the right pool ,the one there is a large infinity type pool but I preferred the beach, great spot, will return

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank MikeVancouver_BC
Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

We had an ocean front room on the 6th floor, the view was incredible. Our friends had an ocean front room on the 3rd floor, their view was the roof on the beach bar. The elevators worked only half of the time, not much fun to walk up six flights with flip flops or luggage. The food was average, the buffet next door was loud, the 2 nicer resturants required reservations made that morning. The room service food was horrible at night, didn't try it during day. The bars only had one type of beer (Sol) and two types of wine that weren't that good. But the beach bar had GREAT service. We really liked the pool including tequila volleyball. Short walk to the marina area where the tours left from but had to take a taxi to go anywhere else. With the expection of a few maintance/construction areas, the hotel was clean and our room was cleaned and floor mopped every day. The bathroom shower is very tricky to get into and out of.
The hotel was very quiet, they said they were filled to capacity but didn't seem like it, plenty of seating on the beach and around the pool. Oh, and the king beds are short.

I recommend this hotel to someone who wants a quiet getaway and doesn't want to sightsee, etc. If you want to go downtown and experience the night life and go shopping, stay closer to the downtown/boardwalk area, the cab rides really add up.

**We also took the Vallarta Adventures Sierra Madre Tour, it was AWESOME!! I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends